So, the new fractal: Sunqua Peak [Feedback]

hugo.4705

I found it to be pretty easy on normal. Well, not easy, just very telegraphed and having the intro to the mechanics on the previous bosses made it better. My one gripe is the water portion.

The mini boss has tethered orbs with no real indication of what you need to do outside of 111111'ing a pile of rocks, and on the final boss you can die pretty quickly from random things. I'm also not sure what the point of the tether is. I guess that's the ability that will kill you if you aren't standing with your group? Moving closer didn't seem to make much of a difference so presumably you can just stick to each other for that entire part of the fight.

The projectiles can really do you in if you get hit by multiple ones at a time but I found that portion of it to be pretty telling compared to previous uses of the same mechanic. The Nightmare boss fractal has something similar I believe and I find the projectiles to sometimes not line up with the projected path, but on this boss if you stood in what looked like a safe area between them you had pretty good elbow room before you get hit.

All in all in normal mode my biggest issue was with the jumping puzzle part where you have to collect the orbs to jump. And that portion was pretty unpredictable with the platforms being a bit higher than they probably need to be. Especially the last 2.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:disable cc consumables in fractal, and lower the cc bar for the boss in cm.

Disagree on the first part, agree with the second.

Especially for Artsariiv CC consumables are nice and there is no need to drag the clone phase out by making people wait for their CC cd's.I do agree though when a fight has such overtuned/frequent Breakbars that consumables become almost a necessity to keep up it's problematic.

@ponYthink.9872 said:Seriously, I would love to have more fights that have this many mechanics. It's definitely among the top best three fractals along with Nightmare and Shattered (Shattered still claiming the undisputed number 1 spot though).

I find myself feeling the same way, I kind of think this Fractal should have been placed at 98, leaving Nightmare at 99 and Shattered Observatory at 100.Or ideally, Chaos would get a CM, stay at 98 and have Sunqua Peak be 97.

That way the sequence would be Single Boss CM (Sunqua), Double Boss CM (Chaos) and then the triple Boss CM's Nightmare and Shattered Observatory, and also keep the Arkk Story together.Plus the Shattered Observatory just setting wise feels made to be the final Fractal.

the pros:

• It's pretty.
  • I like how they reused the mount for the Water Elementals.That's it.

the cons:

• Jump Puzzles. While I like most Jump Puzzles, many people passionately hate Jump Puzzles.If Arenanet knows the tiniest bit of their player base, they'll know that.
  • The pacing. This Fractal is not long, yet it feels unnecessarily tedious to travel through.A Short passage with lots of falling down - a HP sponge "miniboss" - and that is present three times.

the Main BossWhat is this garbage?!too much AoEtoo much CCeven one shot mechanics in T1!People hate Fighting Warden Amala for being overloaded.People hate fighting Arabella Crowe for being overloaded.People even hate fighting The Voice for being overloaded.And people will now also hate fighting this Sorrowful Spellcaster for being overloaded with stuff.

This fractal is straight up trash.I don't plan on doing this again.

I certainly hope EoD won't be anything like this.

After recheking and looking into the news vendor tabs:

-I think there is just too much visual clutter, lost in two minutes during the last fight due to the massive amounts of Aoe , plus if someone is down, that player is doomed and killled by the tornado sword spin or waves.-The new abyssal set is only for the cm runners and require unstable cosmic essence. And that's bs anet, cause players enjoying t1/t2 or not doing cm will never have them. There is already several rewards for t4 and cm, those should have been rewards for others tiers.-There is in fact indeed a good dps required for last boss, if like me, you have a group without specific roles doing it for fun; it doesn't work and it's hard to kill last boss. It feels like it resuire ton of hral and dps.

@"hugo.4705" said:After recheking and looking into the news vendor tabs:

-I think there is just too much visual clutter, lost in two minutes during the last fight due to the massive amounts of Aoe , plus if someone is down, that player is doomed and killled by the tornado sword spin or waves.-The new abyssal set is only for the cm runners and require unstable cosmic essence. And that's bs anet, cause players enjoying t1/t2 or not doing cm will never have them. There is already several rewards for t4 and cm, those should have been rewards for others tiers.-There is in fact indeed a good dps required for last boss, if like me, you have a group without specific roles doing it for fun; it doesn't work and it's hard to kill last boss. It feels like it resuire ton of hral and dps.

Normal fractal weapons for t1-t4. Gold in t4 and abyssal for cms. I dont see a problem with this. There is no dps required for last boss. There is not a single dps check in the fight so saying that good dps is required is just wrong.The fight can also be cheesed extremely hard with high dps. Also a mobile boss is not immediately a condi boss but its decent there. Power + breakbar burst will probably still be superior. 50% exposed dmg is just too strong.To all the people who scream "nerf this". Try not staying in circles and not staying in her path when she dashes. A problem with t1-t2 SO and nightmare is that nobody does or learns mechanics there because they do so low damage that everyone ignores them. They need to be punishing otherwise nobody will do them, even in t1.

Stuck with the 1st pug group on T4 for a long time until realized that the encounter had bugged. We were closing all sky orb, but boss did not switch phases. So we continued that for a long time thinking it's our fault :-(

Then 2nd attempt was done after hotfix with another pug group and it was pretty painful as well.

• For the sky orbs we tried to split, so each person closes some arena sector. However jumping charges spawn randomly, so you can find nothing around you and around 2-3 closest orbs for the first 50% of this phase. And this happens often. I'd like to have a few more seconds for this or more charges to appear.
  • Fire phases are a piece of cake. Uses the same attack pattern as the air ones, then meteors attack is pretty clear.
  • For water phases I feel like attack pattern changes a bit (or may be not?). Also a few new mechanics are added, which are used in parallel - this brakes the patterns are learnt from previous phases (which is bad as for me) and creates a lot of noise which is mentioned by people in this thread. The water phase is very fast, noisy, and the most of these mechanics are killing you. This lefts unpleasant feeling, however TBH we spent more time on sky orbs.
  • In general, a lot of different attacks, the most of them are too fast and damage too much. It's very difficult to react to telegraphs or warnings, because of lags/ping/human reaction time :-))) So you should learn the pattern of attacks and act before they happen. I guess, Anet tried to reproduce that warm feeling of old school arcade gaming. But for many players it might become just Siren's Reef 2.0.

@Durzlla.6295 said:I enjoyed it overall, I’m still not entirely sure how the tidal chain thing is supposed to function, but it’s fun and I really liked the setting and environment of it!!!

Just curious though is there a CM for it? I didn’t really look around for one, but noticed it had its own vendor tab?

It does, only last boss with bigger circles, and a new 100% to 1% phase like how mai trin 100 used to heal her to full at the last 25%. Generally all attacks in each of the 4 phases are about that same with either different hit boxes sizes and damage depending on the phase. What is different is the DM she does in each phase, either grab orbs, hide behind rocks, stick together, or avoid spooky ghosts.The 4 phases are 100 to 66, 66 to 33, 33 to 1, back to 100 to 1.

we haven't done cm mode its just normal mode. its pretty easy (good to keep it as this level that we can still bring people who don't play much fractal in to play) :) haven't tried the ap yet, but we will slowly do them.. only try the clear today. thanks for the new map. prefer to have a shorter t4 :P eg just one boss.. its good.
but we did encounter bug in there hahahahaha I have it on video

I did all the achievements, also the CM mode, and the secret deathless achievement in CM (Dances with Demons). It was a real pleasure to pug it, people were really cool

This fractal is awesome. No rng, mechanics are easy to understand. The arena isn't too big. The hp pool is perfectly fine.

Maybe the last 20% hp could have been harder like Arkk, it felt like a guaranteed kill after managing the 2 sorrows at 35%.

To those complaining about T1, retry it today : it was patched. On first run through before patch (before I did T4 a few times) I noticed the end boss did 13K (no pots/food/toughness) during the water phase but after the patch it was far more moderate (around 4K or so).

From patchnotes: "Fixed a bug in which the Plea of Tides skill was not scaling damage between Tier 3, Tier 4, and Challenge Mode."

edit: as far as feedback goes, I'd like a better indicator of the stacks on the Tidal Bargain effect for the rest of the party.

@"Infusion.7149" said:To those complaining about T1, retry it today : it was patched. On first run through before patch (before I did T4 a few times) I noticed the end boss did 13K (no pots/food/toughness) during the water phase but after the patch it was far more moderate (around 4K or so).

From patchnotes: "Fixed a bug in which the Plea of Tides skill was not scaling damage between Tier 3, Tier 4, and Challenge Mode."

edit: as far as feedback goes, I'd like a better indicator of the stacks on the Tidal Bargain effect for the rest of the party.

I'll give it another go this week time permitting. Hopefully if they fixed it, it can slot in as a regular fractal

I liked the difficulty of cm. Those complaining on cons of easy fight or bland on t1-4 yes. It is a bit so-so. It isn't too hard once you learn mechanics. The water is very meh, the fire is alright and the air with the balls is ok.

CM - I love the first part for sure. The increase in everything, the fire is my most favorite with the explosions. Then part 2? Yah that is cancer the moving, dodging, INSANE breakbar (way too big), and the lights on the eyes ooof. Can't wait to grind for the dances with demons. Got the cm at least done for now :d

A new Fractal of "just okay" quality, but no reworks of other Fractals, no adjustments to mechanics or rewards. They barely even touched a game mode that's already been stale for several years despite being fan favorite content.

I'd say I hope more is coming but I know nothing is. Even I'm starting to get bitter about these mini-updates.

What's next? Expo without Eilte Specs?

50-50 with the scenery. It can be beautiful, but personally felt the concept/theme is somewhat different. Floating terrain, gloomy, shadings, cramped pathing and surroundings makes it feel edgy/uncomfortable.

The gaunlet and mini bosses are pretty straight forward. Never liked the idea of recycling mob's model design (same for LS4 recycling mob's model, not expansion level content imo if its recolored/recycled models).

Final boss is fun and appropriate for a boss with the mechanics. To nitpick or things to brush up, the Rp is tad too long. Players should be allowed to continue progress forward while the dialogues are going instead of waiting for it to end before the final boss. The final boss meteors set takes too long to land and Water channeling phase has too much idle time/for it to end.

The water tornadoes projectile hits harder than the other elements. Overall an easy boss but can be heal intensive for inexperience group. With no time limit/dps check, its possible to use 2 healer even for CM. Which will make it much more forgiving and easier compared to other CMs.

The hotfix seems to have balance out the mobs Hp (things just melt in seconds on the first day, could be a bug as the last boss disconnects us during phase).

@Eramonster.2718 said:The water tornadoes projectile hits harder than the other elements.

That's because that phase doesn't have projectiles, but is actually reflecting your projectiles back at you - if you are talking about the phase where the boss is in the center surrounded by a water tornado.

In retrospective I think you just mean the (technically not) projectiles moving around the arena, but for those I think it's intended that each phase hits increasingly harder.

@MoHohoho.6523 said:But no rng? Is there a pattern how the Sorrow ghosts spawn?

Idk if no RNG is true or not, but you won't be fucked over by bad RNG. The area where it spawns is lit up and as far as I know they only spawn when she's in the middle. So while the spawn might change, the distance you have to walk is always the same and since the area is lit up before the spawn you have enough time to go there.

we just got the ap done to unlock CM, it was fun! :) took us afew tries .. and then just two of us went in to check the CM.. omg its amazing the environment.. and the phases doesn't look hard.. the red circle is larger lol very funny seriously cover the whole arena lmao... I cant wait try CM later when we aren't too tired.BTW tho those who has trouble with the water gush part and in case you haven't noticed.. if you observe carefully, the water go fast and slow.. when it is slow.... you can dodge through it.. when it is fast you will get push out. so wait and observer first :Poverall I really like this fractal its beautiful .. who ever design the environment.. 9.5/10 :) the game and difficulty wise.. its 8/10 (I prefer easy and fast as I can take anyone into the fractal with us to play as long as we have two or 3 experienced) .. mechanic wise its ok. some new mechanic which is nice but we still come back to green circle and lines. I have to try CM first then I will come here to cry hahaha.