Infusions effects are out of control - [Merged]

Sileeent.5861

@Makuragee.3058 said:Yes please yes lets us hide effect of player that are not in our party/group. Not just infusion skill effect too.

I would agree to an option to deal with such cases.However, I find these effects even more annoying within my party/group than in open world.

@Hannelore.8153 said:Just remove the stacking instead. One regular infusion and one enrichment infusion per character.

Well that wouldn't solve my problems. There are infusions that look pretty ugly and/or annoying with just one.Ghostly, Peerless or Phospholuminescent are such examples.

I also think it's too late to remove stacks completely, it's already part of the game, and the stacking isn't that bad at all.Liquid Aurillium still looks really smooth with 3 stacks, while Queen Bee looks pretty ugly.

We need a lot more options, so everyone can decide for themselves what is best for their own gaming experience.

@misterman.1530 said:How about an Upgrade that can be purchased from the Gem store that you can use to hide everyone else's infusions/wings/backpacks :)

Which weirdo comes up with the idea of putting such a fundamental feature behind a paywall?!

@SLOTH.5231 said:Actually under settings there is a way to make everyone have the default models I’m at work so don’t know which one but it is there.

That would be more annoying for me. But I am sure that the infusion effects cannot be deactivated by this anyway.You can set Animation in Graphics Options to Low to remove only the effects for Ghostly.This is nowhere near enough, and it also makes all the animations in the game look awful.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@SLOTH.5231 said:Actually under settings there is a way to make everyone have the default models I’m at work so don’t know which one but it is there.

Character Model Quality doesnt remove infusions nor does it remove back packs / back pieces

so all the shiny~laggy things will still render

I was thinking under competitive option standard friendly model but that doesn't apply to PVE unfortunately.

Limiting it to 1 infusion per character isn’t the way. There’s a vast difference in level of particle effects between infusions with some giving “a lot” like the Queen Bee vs Ember Infusion which only changes skin color or Poly Teal which only changes overall color scheme. There’s a lot of possibility for creative color schemes and combinations that don’t have much or any particle effects at all. Taking that away would be unfortunate as it would reduce player choice further.

• 4 weeks later...

@Obfuscate.6430 said:I agree with this.I also wonder if loading the particle effects from people's infusions has an affect on performance for lower end machines.

I would say it's the vast majority of performance impact, and not only on lower end machines.

The difference between running the game on Ultra or Low is miniscule in performance impact compared to the settings about player quality models and numbers that can be displayed on screen, which often basically makes the difference between >140 FPS or <10 FPS, with all other setting the same.

My issue with those settings though is that it just makes everybody invisible and awkwardly pop in at close proximity as default model if you want reasonable performance in crowds like Cities, Metas or Zergs in general, regardless of your setup.

Personally I don't enjoy turning everybody into just a nameplate or standard model, but rather just turn off ridiculous performance sinks like mass infusion stacks, legendary trinkets and other cosmetic player particle effects.

The fact that things like the Vermilion Wings Backpack exist/still haven't been addressed in months when they single handedly drop the Framerate of everybody having them on screen by ~20 FPS, and up to 100 FPS when zooming into them is ridiculous.That's just one player on screen with one cosmetic item with a certain particle effect.It's therefor not surprising that Zergs or even just a Mesmers or two up to quadrupling such effects with clones absolutely tanks everybody else's performance, and there really needs to be an option to disable/tune such effects down, without turning the game into an empty world of nameplates and pop-in standard models.

@Tuco.2419 said:As a returning player the effects on everyone is one of the most jarring parts of the game. Everyone is running around looking like a big ball of special effects, it looks ridiculous.

Most definitely this. The bloom and special effects this game has are ridiculous. Add more than twenty people in a zerg and it's insane fps drops all over the place. Please let us reduce these effects at least.

@"kharmin.7683" said:I think that Anet wants people to see these effects so that they can say "Oooo that's cool" and then work to obtain the item(s) that grant the desired effect. That keeps people playing longer and/or spending money to convert gems -> gold to purchase needed things from the BLTC to craft the item(s). Sure, a setting could be made where a player can just see their own effect, but without seeing other player's effects how would they know that such items exist?

Personally, I would like the ability to turn off these effects. I just don't see it in Anet's best interest to do so. /shrug

Totally get this.

On the other hand visual clutter/noise is a big part of why I take frequent breaks from playing and spending money on GW2.

@dollydespair.2987 said:

@"Tuco.2419" said:As a returning player the effects on everyone is one of the most jarring parts of the game. Everyone is running around looking like a big ball of special effects, it looks ridiculous.

Most definitely this. The bloom and special effects this game has are ridiculous. Add more than twenty people in a zerg and it's insane fps drops all over the place. Please let us reduce these effects at least.

The bloom at least can be mostly disabled by turning off Post-Processing. It does also disable some environmental effects, but that's a price I'm gladly willing to pay for not having bleeding eyes.Also enabling Effect LoD.

Concerning performance though, we really do need more options, since player models and the "inflation" of particle effects of player cosmetics has become not only visually overwhelming, but has also become the biggest framerate drain.

Something doesn't add up: ANet wants the game to run OK on old computers, so they keep the old inefficient DirectX version(*), but the same ANet keeps adding particle effects, which require a recent version of DirectX and a better computer...

(*) Not the only reason, I know.

How many times must we ask for an option to disable other players infusions...I find them annoying, ugly, bright, in your face and aw waste of the PC's resources. 1 Player alone is not an issue with shinies.. but you then put 50 of them on the screen at once and you have a problem.

Since when did glowing like a big green sun ball which eats your FPS up become a thing people want?

(also a PSA to all those with the ghostly smoke infusion, it makes it look like you smell.)I miss the old days when weapons were the only thing that had a shiny effect. All these infusions have taken away what was once special about the legendary gear, which you can almost not even notice on some players.

It is baffling to me that you have either "all" or "none" re player models.Entering LA during an event season is death. Quick, tone down the details!Your friend has a new armor set she really wants to show you. Quick, turn up the details!Putting a "teammates and squadmates render at this quality" mechanic is a trivial task.Players: Low details, low effects, low textures.Teammates: High details, high effects, high resolution textures.There. All problems fixed.

@"The Boz.2038" said:It is baffling to me that you have either "all" or "none" re player models.Entering LA during an event season is death. Quick, tone down the details!Your friend has a new armor set she really wants to show you. Quick, turn up the details!Putting a "teammates and squadmates render at this quality" mechanic is a trivial task.Players: Low details, low effects, low textures.Teammates: High details, high effects, high resolution textures.There. All problems fixed.

I fix that for you:Players: Low details, low effects, low textures.

I would prefer not to see anyone instead of reducing the details and textures. That would be almost as disgusting as the many infusion effects. So Anet could add another lower option for Character Model Limit so that you only see NPCs, players you selected and party mates. That would probably solve most problems with relatively little effort.

@CashCow.9548 said:I am against that idea.

I like for my character to display how wealthy I am. Regardless of how ugly it makes me look.

Well, I don't know what the problem is because anyone who wants to will still be able to see how crappy you look. But the fact that there are even hugh fps drops for some players makes such options generally necessary. That's a reason why you can force standard models separately for the WvW, but the cosmetic effects have been completely ignored. It would be time to complete these features to allow maximum performance and reducing risk of eye cancer.

• 2 weeks later...