Another "returning player question", Why is it so quiet?

Uptownsage.1927

@Uptownsage.1927 said:guild chat, or is it just the time?

both. a lot of people talk in their guilds (assuming their guilds are active in chat and that they don't use discord to completely replace the guild chat)... as for time, try hanging out earlier like just after dinner EST -- also on a weekday, people have work the following day so they wont stay up so late (depends on the person and his/her work though) -- weekends are more populated in general ... people still talk in /map and RP is pretty active in /say and custom emotes when you happen to run into one (most often in DR).

as for location try alternating between Lion's Arch and Divinity's Reach

I'm not sure about NA servers but on EU it gets much quieter after about 11pm UTC because the majority of players are asleep then. I know NA servers have a more global population but even so 1am EST is early morning in Europe and Africa, and mid day in Asia and Australasia and if it's a week day I doubt many people would be around until the evening.

But I also think players are more spread out now than they used to be, there isn't really a single hub where all the activity happens. As well as Lion's Arch I often find Divinity's Reach and Rata Sum are busy, and the Eye of the North, but I also get the impression that many people don't spend much time in cities unless they're clearing out bags. There's often lots of people and organised groups in various different open-world maps but how busy map chat is depends on the map, sometimes it's being used to coordinate events so there's not a lot of chatter.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@keenedge.9675 said:We are now a popular, modern MMO. Create toon, finish starter instance, turn off map chat.

This is the default for free players, who don't even have access to map chat.

They can see map chat, they just can't type in it. So they can still see anything which is announced or discussions that are going on, and likewise can see if there's nothing being said.

@"Uptownsage.1927" said:So im sure the more dedicated players get tons of "returning player whats going on" questions. But i gotta ask. Im hanging out in Lioneye's and chat is dead quiet. This is at about 1-2 am est. Is there another place people hang out now, do people just stay to their guild chat, or is it just the time?

Eventually, you will be subjected to the general chat that has haunted all MMOs with the same vapid garbage it has always been and always will be. Just need to be online at the proper time/on the proper date. Don't know why anyone would miss that, but that is your business.