Follow Up to my Original Post, "The Death of Thief"

darren.1064

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Yeah except neither the context nor the goalposts were shifting. This is what it was about from the very start. This is just you backtracking after you made the error of not looking at what the context was. Weak logic is what youre doing.

I'll concede that I didn't pay close enough attention to matching the exact context, because it's irrelevant for the use of the skills in question. Even if the context is specifically out-of-combat rotation between points... it's the same thing. Sword 3 (and yes, an about face before doing it if you're not already oriented properly). About face. Sword 2.

You conveniently continue ignore that you failed to account for the fact that an about face is always necessary to use two moves (which are oriented in opposite directions) successively to continue moving in the same direction.

Not that any of this really matters, I admit. You have your excuses for not recording, and we all have objective reality for not caring about some crackpot theory that thief mobility isn't head and shoulders above other classes' mobility in spvp.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"UNOwen.7132" said:

Yeah except neither the context nor the goalposts were shifting. This is what it was about from the very start. This is just you backtracking after you made the error of not looking at what the context was. Weak logic is what youre doing.

I'll concede that I didn't pay close enough attention to matching the exact context, because it's irrelevant for the use of the skills in question. Even if the context is specifically out-of-combat rotation between points... it's the same thing. Sword 3 (and yes, an about face before doing it if you're not already oriented properly). About face. Sword 2.

Yeah except clearly its not irrelevant, else it wouldnt have lead to you making such a blunder.

You conveniently continue ignore that you failed to account for the fact that an about face is always necessary to use two moves (which are oriented in opposite directions) successively to continue moving in the same direction.

Not really. I just know that the custom for notating it is to leave out the second about-face as its implied. When Engineers talk about using Elixir Rifle skill 4 for mobility, we dont say "about face skill 4 about face". We just say "about face skill 4". Far as I remember, its the same thing with about-face withdraw or roll for initiative for thieves, and Elementalists fire path thingie.

Not that any of this really matters, I admit. You have your excuses for not recording, and we all have objective reality for not caring about some crackpot theory that thief mobility isn't head and shoulders above other classes' mobility in spvp.

You call it excuses, I call it not wasting time. And again your refusal to check the context is creating another blunder. I never said thief mobility isnt above other classes in sPvP. Quite the opposite. I said specifically that it is far above all other classes in sPvP, and that because of that thief cannot be just buffed. Then someone else pointed out that ranger and warrior are extremely mobile. I pointed out that while they pull ahead in terms of horizontal movement, they do fall behind in sPvP due to its vertical map design. And then Trevor decided to jump in on a topic he clearly has no clue about. The objective reality is that you lot are arguing about something youd only know if you regularly played WvW, which you clearly dont. Granted, maybe I shouldve left Trevor alone with his lack of knowledge, but I cant help correcting people who are wrong.

@Highlie.7641 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Wow weird arguement. Thief is faster than ranger on any plane. Ranger does have great mobility, as it should but it doesn't match thief's which it shouldn't for a variety of reasons which should be obvious to most players.Sure wars and rangers can keep up to thief for a distance but thief would pull a head over time 100%. Rogue like are usually the highest mobility archetype in mmo's and gw2 is no different.

You know this test was already done at launch right? over long distances warrior is faster then thief then ranger. over short distances ie the spvp maps thief is faster. properly use your abilities and you will probably see the same results. What People fail to understand is both warriors and rangers have defensives ontop of there mobility while thief does not. making there kitten mobility arguement useless. which is what there really debating.

If this was done at launch then it’s a closed argument. Daredevil adds a lot of mobility plus swiftness. Even if warrior took all the mobility skills it would at best be even with thief and yet thief hadn’t taken everything for mobility.Thief is faster...

sigh you dont need to do all this research to figure out that nothing comes close to beating a daredevils mobility. smh you guys are wasting your time. are you guys new to the game or something? only a daredevil can catch a daredevil that doesn't wanna get caught. most op class ever created in mmorpg history /a 5k hour thief main

@RedAvenged.5217 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Wow weird arguement. Thief is faster than ranger on any plane. Ranger does have great mobility, as it should but it doesn't match thief's which it shouldn't for a variety of reasons which should be obvious to most players.Sure wars and rangers can keep up to thief for a distance but thief would pull a head over time 100%. Rogue like are usually the highest mobility archetype in mmo's and gw2 is no different.

You know this test was already done at launch right? over long distances warrior is faster then thief then ranger. over short distances ie the spvp maps thief is faster. properly use your abilities and you will probably see the same results. What People fail to understand is both warriors and rangers have defensives ontop of there mobility while thief does not. making there kitten mobility arguement useless. which is what there really debating.

If this was done at launch then it’s a closed argument. Daredevil adds a lot of mobility plus swiftness. Even if warrior took all the mobility skills it would at best be even with thief and yet thief hadn’t taken everything for mobility.Thief is faster...

Agree.

Long triple dash, endurance refill, shadowstep, stealth & bowstep

The Ultimate Runner“I can outrun a centaur”

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Geforce Experience would require me to figure out what my login was. The windows 10 tool doesnt seem to work. Fraps loved to crash things. Thats the thing, the tools tend to bug out, and Im not about to spend time debugging.

Make a new account on Geforce, request new password, login with facebook.

Get on twitch and stream it, get on discord and stream it. So many options here.

And each of them more effort than its worth.

Seriously took me 15 minutes tops to make and upload that video to youtube, and I even went into filmora wondershare and edited it.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Geforce Experience would require me to figure out what my login was. The windows 10 tool doesnt seem to work. Fraps loved to crash things. Thats the thing, the tools tend to bug out, and Im not about to spend time debugging.

Make a new account on Geforce, request new password, login with facebook.

Get on twitch and stream it, get on discord and stream it. So many options here.

And each of them more effort than its worth.

The proof of burden is on you, you know, you are willing to argue it, but you have to provide evidence too.

Never mind that not only can Daredevil outrun everything, it also has Swipe and Shadow Shot, Infiltrator's Strike to stick to targets better than anything. Plus Shadow Step has Shadow Return so while in the context of straight race it's only 1200 units, in the context of an actual game with flowing objectives it's 2400 movement every 50 seconds. Not only is it the best at a straight race, it's also even faster in the context of an actual match with combat objectives.

Thief just matter of fact is the most mobile class in the game.

Also never mind that when I did my tests I just ran straight Meta DP Daredevil whereas on Spellbreaker and Soulbeast And Mirage I contorted their builds far outside what their meta builds are purely for the sake of racing and they still cannot keep up.

@mortrialus.3062 said:Never mind that not only can Daredevil outrun everything, it also has Swipe and Shadow Shot, Infiltrator's Strike to stick to targets better than anything. Plus Shadow Step has Shadow Return so while in the context of straight race it's only 1200 units, in the context of an actual game with flowing objectives it's 2400 movement every 50 seconds. Not only is it the best at a straight race, it's also even faster in the context of an actual match with combat objectives.

Thief just matter of fact is the most mobile class in the game.

Also never mind that when I did my tests I just ran straight Meta DP Daredevil whereas on Spellbreaker and Soulbeast And Mirage I contorted their builds far outside what their meta builds are purely for the sake of racing and they still cannot keep up.

Tweak your Daredevil for maximum foot race potential sometime if you're bored. I did it today a bit earlier, it was hilariously fast to the point that even most players using speedhack would probably DC themselves from lag before they could get away from you.

Just jack up init gain, go double shortbow for init on swap trait. Take off Deadly Arts go Acrobatic for vigor on heal. It gets pretty broken if you straight aim for maximized speed & mobility.

If this build were wearing ministrel stats in wvw it would very seriousy be virtually impossible to kill. I don't think even like 30 dudes could pin this build down very easily without a massively coordinated effort.

If there were ever another wvw season that mattered, this would be the build you'd want that ran into the middle of zergs and dropped those new siege effects.