Should FTP players get raptor for free?

Firebeard.1746

No.

I feel mounts changed the game negatively.

I personally wish they were not available to be used outside of Path of Fire and content that comes after it.

The lack of mounts was a feature for Guild Wars. So many things that took time and practice to do or reach can now be skipped in seconds with a mount. Heart of Thorns in particular - once extremely challenging locales that forced you to learn to get better, are now trivial.

Before mounts, there was more of a sense of moving around the game.The layout of PoF zones is just different - things where done to accentuate the use of mounts. The layout of prior zones was more crammed in because of their lack. Mounts made everything before PoF too small...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kichwas.7152 said:

Before mounts, there was more of a sense of moving around the game.The layout of PoF zones is just different - things where done to accentuate the use of mounts. The layout of prior zones was more crammed in because of their lack. Mounts made everything before PoF too small...I never really understood this point. Just because a player has mounts doesn't mean that he/she must use them in pre-PoF zones.

Any mmo sucks without mounts, period. I could not stand this game at launch. Mounts are part of the mmo experience. I came back after HOT launched and that experience, no mounts had me quit again lol. That map is one of the worst experiences in gaming...on foot. Once I had all my mounts, the game is amazingly fun now, including HOT.

This game has lost MANY paying customers due to lack of mounts. Every last person I brought to the game has quit and they often state how it sucks getting around on foot while everyone else is blasting by you on mounts. I say, don't worry, after you do a series of foolish collections/hurdles/pay gates/etc, you too will have a mount and then you will be entitled to make posts about not allowing mounts for the peons just because you no-life'd your way into mounts.

Make them pay (I believe in supporting this great game), but get them a basic mount from the get go.

@Skiravor.1257 said:Any mmo sucks without mounts, period. I could not stand this game at launch. Mounts are part of the mmo experience. I came back after HOT launched and that experience, no mounts had me quit again lol. That map is one of the worst experiences in gaming...on foot. Once I had all my mounts, the game is amazingly fun now, including HOT.

Debatable. It comes down to player preferences.

This game has lost MANY paying customers due to lack of mounts.

Source?

Every last person I brought to the game has quit and they often state how it sucks getting around on foot while everyone else is blasting by you on mounts.

They really quit over that? They likely were F2P players then, and if they were unwilling to buy the expansions like everyone else did, well..

I say, don't worry, after you do a series of foolish collections/hurdles/pay gates/etc, you too will have a mount and then you will be entitled to make posts about not allowing mounts for the peons just because you no-life'd your way into mounts.

It takes 8 hours of gameplay to unlock raptor, skimmer, springer, and sand jackal. Griffon and beetle have collections but they’re not all that time-consuming. Skyscale collections take slightly longer.

Make them pay (I believe in supporting this great game), but get them a basic mount from the get go.

Mounts are an expansion feature. The first mount being awarded before even completing the first story episode of PoF.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Source?

For me, its the six people I brought to this game. One person, I even bought the game for as he was a starving student. They all left citing these same things. When I see video's about gw2 being worth it in 2019/2020, etc. I often see comments about this in the responses.

Your opinion is your own, you feel you are the defender of the game, I get it. I disagree with you. Anet makes some decent decisions for its very small player base of veterans, but otherwise, they don't make good decisions for bringing in new players which is why they are practically being forced to go steam. Then the published numbers from steam will tell a more true tale.

Takes 8 hours?...................................................................

How much gold? Does that 8hrs take that into account as well? Of course not. You being disingenuous only supports the viewpoints of the small percentage of veterans who enjoy their elite status.

@Skiravor.1257 said:

Source?Takes 8 hours?...................................................................

How much gold? Does that 8hrs take that into account as well? Of course not. You being disingenuous only supports the viewpoints of the small percentage of veterans who enjoy their elite status.

8 hours sounds quite a lot for those actually and is probably due to the raptor T3 requirement on springer/skimmer

gold? needed currency for all 4 basic mounts is 25 gold + 300 trade contracts. if you skip the jackal it is just 5 gold + 100 trade contracts. it's not a lot. most players will have spare 5 gold, maybe after selling some mats from their storage maybe already in their pockets. at lvl 80 you should almost always have 5 gold available.

@Skiravor.1257 said:

Source?

For me, its the six people I brought to this game. One person, I even bought the game for as he was a starving student. They all left citing these same things. When I see video's about gw2 being worth it in 2019/2020, etc. I often see comments about this in the responses.

The game has hundreds of thousands of players. Six people is fairly far from “many”.

Your opinion is your own, you feel you are the defender of the game, I get it. I disagree with you. Anet makes some decent decisions for its very small player base of veterans, but otherwise, they don't make good decisions for bringing in new players which is why they are practically being forced to go steam. Then the published numbers from steam will tell a more true tale.

The only part of my post that I made that was opinion would be what constitutes time-consuming. There have been players are have called anything which they could not obtain right away as being “time-consuming” or a “grind”.

I’m not necessarily defending the game; I’m simply disagreeing with you.

Takes 8 hours?...................................................................

Yes. I played PoF the minute it went live and had the jackal about an hour before daily reset. I was also making it my focus to obtain the mounts right away so I was doing every event that I could find and tagging as many enemies as I could.

It’s 25G for all four. Hardly an issue. That’s about an hour of farming if you didn’t already have it and not counting any earned while unlocking the mounts.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Source?

The game has hundreds of thousands of players. Six people is fairly far from “many”.

Please read my post about 6, as that is my personal friends I was trying to bring into this game from a gaming guild.

The only part of my post that I made that was opinion would be what constitutes time-consuming. There have been players are have called anything which they could not obtain right away as being “time-consuming” or a “grind”.

I’m not necessarily defending the game; I’m simply disagreeing with you.

Yes, many people forget what it was like starting this game. Its been a long time. Now Anet see the numbers and steam is clearly needed to try to bring in players. Hopefully, there will be something to keep them interested enough to grind up to what makes the game fun.

I'll still be there, in verdant brink, reviving new players running around on foot getting smoked by...everything. lol

I'm all for giving people a free kitty mount, especially for WvW (and I don't even do PvP,) but I'm not going to be offended if they have it in PvE just because I paid for PoF. Like, mists, people, get over yourselves. Most of y'all are riding around on freaking dragons anyway. A cat's got nothing on that. They can't even properly compete with a raptor, arguably the most basic, entry level mount.

@Skiravor.1257 said:

Source?

Please read my post about 6, as that is my personal friends I was trying to bring into this game from a gaming guild.

When I asked for your source for you saying “the game has lost MANY paying customers due to lack of mounts“ those six were what you responded with.

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

@casualkenny.9817 said:The base raptor, with the short jump, no mob grab, and no boosted dmg, or an equivalent or slightly weaker mount ....

You feel that that's giving too much? The whole point of ftp accs is try-b4-u-buy advertising.

can only talk for myself but i think i would have dropped gw2 if mounts were a thing back then. so that "advertising" would have backfired on me.

i don't even know if you mean that you dislikes mounts, or that you would have disliked having base raptor in core map as a ftp player because abc, or something else.

i'm assuming its #2, because #1 is redundant, though it matches your phrasing better.

with access to a raptor i would have missed 99% of the game, seeing a pretty dull and narrow image and left before even trying to get immersed. core tyria is a lore place and meant to be visited slowly to show its beauty. there is no real challenge in these maps except stuff that is made for lvl 80s like dungeons or world bosses and this content isn't done a lot before lvl 80 anyways. but NPCs talking, special places and stuff is all gone when you woosh across the map and never knew it existed, because it isn't that usual for a MMORPG to have a vivid map, i for example started with metin2 where NPCs had exactly zero lore or use outside of your personal progression.you need to consider the expectations to the game, it might be "i want good fights" and nothing more because the last game had nothing more. then there is a raptor and you pass at light speed by everything interesting and find a map with pretty low mob density compared to your last game with a lot of 1v1 focus, say "meh" and quit.without the raptor you see the other aspects and it might just keep you long enough to get how this game works and like it, at least enough to play on.

Thanks for your full reply. I'll reply later (in this post) when I'm home from work

edit: really sry, currently having an episode these few weeks and avoiding human contact

@Atomos.7593 said:I found there are only 4 mounts needed for the PoF onward maps. Raptor (to unlock the springer), springer (for vertical exploration), skimmer (to get through brandstorms and quicksand), and jackal (for sand portals/bridges). All of these are easy and quick to unlock imo.

well those are actually all of the normal mounts.griffon is pretty much the final prize for being a hero in PoF and will make things easier (there are also 2 griffon mastery points but you get them via bond of faith and a combination of the basic mounts).roller beetle is made for the open desert of kourna but never necessary as it only extends speed but gives no new option as it is the only mount without any self-induced air time and thus cannot jump/fly anywhere. beetle doors usually only contain chests not worth it and other players can open them for you.the skyscale is the jack-of-all-trades, nowhere best (well, afk'ing in a hostile area ...) but no weakness either (well maybe the big ocean parts in orr where it'll eventually fall into the see)

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:I found there are only 4 mounts needed for the PoF onward maps. Raptor (to unlock the springer), springer (for vertical exploration), skimmer (to get through brandstorms and quicksand), and jackal (for sand portals/bridges). All of these are easy and quick to unlock imo.

well those are actually all of the normal mounts.griffon is pretty much the final prize for being a hero in PoF and will make things easier (there are also 2 griffon mastery points but you get them via bond of faith and a combination of the basic mounts).roller beetle is made for the open desert of kourna but never necessary as it only extends speed but gives no new option as it is the only mount without any self-induced air time and thus cannot jump/fly anywhere. beetle doors usually only contain chests not worth it and other players can open them for you.the skyscale is the jack-of-all-trades, nowhere best (well, afk'ing in a hostile area ...) but no weakness either (well maybe the big ocean parts in orr where it'll eventually fall into the see)

Those are the mounts that are needed. I was able to play on every map perfectly fine without griffon, roller beetle and skyscale. These 3 offer convenience but are not needed to be able to play in the maps from PoF onwards. Springer is a requirement for the PoF story and is therefore needed to keep progressing in it. Skimmer is necessary to go through brandstorms and quicksand, otherwise you will take heavy damage and die before you can reach destinations, etc.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:WvW doesn't unlock for Play4Free players until L60.

Thus, I'm not sure access to the Warclaw will keep those players lamenting the loss of a Mount for leveling up, etc.

You get mounts at level 80 (unless someone is helping you with there PoF-story).

So you are complaining that this way the FTP may get the mount too early?

We got mounts when the maps required them. It's not needed for the FTP experience, in fact it might even be detrimental as bolting around on a raptor might make them skip stuff like event triggers, etc. Regardless, not my monkey and not my circus but I don't think it's necessary. (and it's an incentive to get the expansion)

@kharmin.7683 said:

Before mounts, there was more of a sense of moving around the game.The layout of PoF zones is just different - things where done to accentuate the use of mounts. The layout of prior zones was more crammed in because of their lack. Mounts made everything before PoF too small...I never really understood this point. Just because a player has mounts doesn't mean that he/she must use them in pre-PoF zones.

Then new players don't really need mounts, and neither do F2P players? It's not like they're required for Core Tyria.

@Skiravor.1257 said:Yes, many people forget what it was like starting this game. Its been a long time. Now Anet see the numbers and steam is clearly needed to try to bring in players. Hopefully, there will be something to keep them interested enough to grind up to what makes the game fun.

Let's inject some logic here. We were ALL new players and somehow, those of us that stayed and got PoF got our mounts. Also, many of us managed to play this game for many years without them. In otherwords, any appeal to players being 'new' is rather meaningless when talking about getting mounts. If mounts and how difficult they are to get is what prevents people from staying or picking up the game, those players are fickle and won't be interested in this game anyways.

@casualkenny.9817 said:

@casualkenny.9817 said:The base raptor, with the short jump, no mob grab, and no boosted dmg, or an equivalent or slightly weaker mount ....

You feel that that's giving too much? The whole point of ftp accs is try-b4-u-buy advertising.

can only talk for myself but i think i would have dropped gw2 if mounts were a thing back then. so that "advertising" would have backfired on me.

i don't even know if you mean that you dislikes mounts, or that you would have disliked having base raptor in core map as a ftp player because abc, or something else.

i'm assuming its #2, because #1 is redundant, though it matches your phrasing better.

with access to a raptor i would have missed 99% of the game, seeing a pretty dull and narrow image and left before even trying to get immersed. core tyria is a lore place and meant to be visited slowly to show its beauty. there is no real challenge in these maps except stuff that is made for lvl 80s like dungeons or world bosses and this content isn't done a lot before lvl 80 anyways. but NPCs talking, special places and stuff is all gone when you woosh across the map and never knew it existed, because it isn't that usual for a MMORPG to have a vivid map, i for example started with metin2 where NPCs had exactly zero lore or use outside of your personal progression.you need to consider the expectations to the game, it might be "i want good fights" and nothing more because the last game had nothing more. then there is a raptor and you pass at light speed by everything interesting and find a map with pretty low mob density compared to your last game with a lot of 1v1 focus, say "meh" and quit.without the raptor you see the other aspects and it might just keep you long enough to get how this game works and like it, at least enough to play on.

Thanks for your full reply. I'll reply later (in this post) when I'm home from work

you should really think about moving closer to your work, that is a pretty long way home you got :-)

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Firebeard.1746 said:I kinda feel like they should. GW2 didn't really feel complete for me until mounts were released. Obviously the masteries for it and other mounts should be gated behind PoF, but I feel anet isn't putting their best foot forward not letting players experience mounts at all at steam release. Perhaps it should be a leveling reward (like 10, 20 or 40).

No, and the game shouldn't be F2P to begin with.

This right here. The amount of gold seller spam (even with the restrictions) and people that join our guilds, play a week, and never show up again, has gone up exponentially since F2P became a thing. F2P should end at level 10, after that, buy the game.