Druid staff rework suggestion

Tom Hsiao.9705

Hello devCan you all please consider rework the Druid staff? The attack skill on it is just horrible.. skill 1 shoot out a beam which is extremely hard to really hit multiple targets... I mean who really line up their targets to try to hit multiple targets?? :sPlease change it to some kind of aoe spirit bomb that explodes on impact or something...
Or perhaps make the beam act more like chain lighting effect that will hit multiple targets near the selected target?

I know ranger have other weapons that can do easier aoe damage like axe. But it just doesn’t feel really magical using an axe....I want to shoot out magic stuff while I heal... I thought Druid is suppose to be like the magic version of ranger. :3

Honestly I think druid as a whole needs a rework, I feel like CA should be a toggle instead of a build up 15 sec super healer.

But back on topic, I Love the Idea of Staff Druid, It's a shame the skills aren't that great.Solar Beam can be very underwhelming, both with hitting targets and healing I think they should increase the size of the beam maybe buff it a bit and also let us target teammates.Astral Wisp Is pretty useless, I think it should be changed to be an aoe.Astral Grace is okay as it is but it needs to have an Evade while doing it.Vine Surge can be Hard to hit single targets with.Sublime Conversion is okay I guess but I think making it a Dome or at least bigger would be much better.

• 4 weeks later...

more to do with wisps and nature, less necessarily to due with the celestial cycle (Druids in guild wars 1 had little to do with celestial anything.)

Rework glyphs to work in a different way, I think an upkeep mechanic like herald where you can utilize the "natural force" you build up in unique ways.

Give celestial avatar more oomph, Its good now but it could use some love. (For example the channel ability, rather than it being around you it sends wisps off to find allies and enemies plaguing enemies with damage and allies with healing aura's and shield.)

Change staff to have more to do with overgrowth and roots, make it supreme in CC as we don't have a weapon really focused on locking down. Make it syngerize with ancient seeds thus making it truly oppressive with soft cc's. Perhaps a skill like rev trident where you shoot a ton of whisps toward enemies that does damage?

Remove the reduction in pet efficiency and make pets as strong as they are with core, rather Id say drop the rangers damage a bit as it is a support themed spec.

Give it unique buffs, and make it more in-line with modern guild wars 2 and firebrand so that it can compete as firebrand outclasses it in terms of healing

making the healing go off of your highest stat combo, so for example if you're going vipers and going condi make it scale off your condi damage rather than healing power so you have more leverage in what build you make and how.

Involve more of the Maguuma jungle in the spec, the fact that it comes from entering the ancient magumma and has little to do with it? C'mon thats kinda lame.

Take out the celestial cycle or inc-operate it in a minor way, you could do so by making it so we could have more empathizes of the celestial energy in the glyphs rather than the core mechanic.

Really hone in on the natural forces of tyria in the theme of the spec; That is what its SUPPOSED TO BE. Even the wiki says that you tap into the primordial forces of tyria, yet here we are with a spec that doesn't follow the premise. Celestial Avatar and celestial/being closer to the stars sounds more like a canthan elite, of which you could in theory use for Ele and let THEM channel the celestial power as its a different beast that tyrias natural energy. I feel like druid should be more focused on balancing the magic in abundance to tyria, which theme was is the exact opposite of the revenant who channels the power of the mists. If the power of being a druid can turn humans into big spirit wood people then isn't that a sign that there is a power there that has far more to do with tyria? I feel like the spec is a missed opportunity for a lore driven spec and that is indeed a shame.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:

1. more to do with wisps and nature, less necessarily to due with the celestial cycle (Druids in guild wars 1 had little to do with celestial anything.)
  2. Rework glyphs to work in a different way, I think an upkeep mechanic like herald where you can utilize the "natural force" you build up in unique ways.
  3. Give celestial avatar more oomph, Its good now but it could use some love. (For example the channel ability, rather than it being around you it sends wisps off to find allies and enemies plaguing enemies with damage and allies with healing aura's and shield.)
  4. Change staff to have more to do with overgrowth and roots, make it supreme in CC as we don't have a weapon really focused on locking down. Make it syngerize with ancient seeds thus making it truly oppressive with soft cc's. Perhaps a skill like rev trident where you shoot a ton of whisps toward enemies that does damage?
  5. Remove the reduction in pet efficiency and make pets as strong as they are with core, rather Id say drop the rangers damage a bit as it is a support themed spec.
  6. Give it unique buffs, and make it more in-line with modern guild wars 2 and firebrand so that it can compete as firebrand outclasses it in terms of healing
  7. making the healing go off of your highest stat combo, so for example if you're going vipers and going condi make it scale off your condi damage rather than healing power so you have more leverage in what build you make and how.
  8. Involve more of the Maguuma jungle in the spec, the fact that it comes from entering the ancient magumma and has little to do with it? C'mon thats kinda lame.
  9. Take out the celestial cycle or inc-operate it in a minor way, you could do so by making it so we could have more empathizes of the celestial energy in the glyphs rather than the core mechanic.
  10. Really hone in on the natural forces of tyria in the theme of the spec; That is what its SUPPOSED TO BE. Even the wiki says that you tap into the primordial forces of tyria, yet here we are with a spec that doesn't follow the premise. Celestial Avatar and celestial/being closer to the stars sounds more like a canthan elite, of which you could in theory use for Ele and let THEM channel the celestial power as its a different beast that tyrias natural energy. I feel like druid should be more focused on balancing the magic in abundance to tyria, which theme was is the exact opposite of the revenant who channels the power of the mists. If the power of being a druid can turn humans into big spirit wood people then isn't that a sign that there is a power there that has far more to do with tyria? I feel like the spec is a missed opportunity for a lore driven spec and that is indeed a shame.

I like most suggestions and actually i would like to push it further:

• Staff does additionally burning damage in Staff#1 and Staff#2. It does target allies or pets and enemies whom crosses the beam or the wisp get damage.
  • Staff#2, Staff#3 corrupt 1 boon into burning.
  • Staff#4 apply the roots from ancient seeds.
  • All Celestial Avatar skills are PbAoE. Avatar#4 has a pushback effect in the first pulse (glyph of tides).
  • Avatar#5 is reworked to a ranged teleport with an daze effect on arrival.
  • All Glyphs work with the mechanic of Glyph of unity, apply actual effects but in pulses to tether allies/foes . Enemies tethered need to get far enough to break the tether to stop receiving the effects from the Glyph.
  • Pets are restored to original stats. Druid can't use F2 for pets, that skill is disabled (or setup as autoattack on cooldown) .
  • Glyph of tides is removed Glyp of equality is removed and Glyph of empowerment is restored.
  • Trait Ancient seeds is removed and one which extends the duration of the Celestial Avatar is introduced.
  • Celestial shadow is reworked to stealth allies around the druid for short time, similar to the stealth gyro. Remove the superpeed and extend the stealth to 5s. Enemies should see a big shadowish / dark circle on the ground where the druid is.
  • Druid does not cleanse conditions but transform them into regeneration or protection.
  • GM trait lingering light replaces Natural Mender and Beta trait Lingering Light is brought back.
  • Druidic Clarity is changed to pulse 1 condition conversion every 3 seconds to allies and druid.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:
  1. more to do with wisps and nature, less necessarily to due with the celestial cycle (Druids in guild wars 1 had little to do with celestial anything.)
  2. Rework glyphs to work in a different way, I think an upkeep mechanic like herald where you can utilize the "natural force" you build up in unique ways.
  3. Give celestial avatar more oomph, Its good now but it could use some love. (For example the channel ability, rather than it being around you it sends wisps off to find allies and enemies plaguing enemies with damage and allies with healing aura's and shield.)
  4. Change staff to have more to do with overgrowth and roots, make it supreme in CC as we don't have a weapon really focused on locking down. Make it syngerize with ancient seeds thus making it truly oppressive with soft cc's. Perhaps a skill like rev trident where you shoot a ton of whisps toward enemies that does damage?
  5. Remove the reduction in pet efficiency and make pets as strong as they are with core, rather Id say drop the rangers damage a bit as it is a support themed spec.
  6. Give it unique buffs, and make it more in-line with modern guild wars 2 and firebrand so that it can compete as firebrand outclasses it in terms of healing
  7. making the healing go off of your highest stat combo, so for example if you're going vipers and going condi make it scale off your condi damage rather than healing power so you have more leverage in what build you make and how.
  8. Involve more of the Maguuma jungle in the spec, the fact that it comes from entering the ancient magumma and has little to do with it? C'mon thats kinda lame.
  9. Take out the celestial cycle or inc-operate it in a minor way, you could do so by making it so we could have more empathizes of the celestial energy in the glyphs rather than the core mechanic.
  10. Really hone in on the natural forces of tyria in the theme of the spec; That is what its SUPPOSED TO BE. Even the wiki says that you tap into the primordial forces of tyria, yet here we are with a spec that doesn't follow the premise. Celestial Avatar and celestial/being closer to the stars sounds more like a canthan elite, of which you could in theory use for Ele and let THEM channel the celestial power as its a different beast that tyrias natural energy. I feel like druid should be more focused on balancing the magic in abundance to tyria, which theme was is the exact opposite of the revenant who channels the power of the mists. If the power of being a druid can turn humans into big spirit wood people then isn't that a sign that there is a power there that has far more to do with tyria? I feel like the spec is a missed opportunity for a lore driven spec and that is indeed a shame.

• Staff does additionally burning damage in Staff#1 and Staff#2. It does target allies or pets and enemies whom crosses the beam or the wisp get damage.
  • All Celestial Avatar skills are PbAoE. Avatar#4 has a pushback effect in the first pulse (glyph of tides).
  • All Glyphs work with the mechanic of Glyph of unity, apply actual effects but in pulses to tether allies/foes . Enemies tethered need to get far enough to break the tether to stop receiving the effects from the Glyph.
  • Pets are restored to original stats. Druid can't use F2 for pets, that skill is disabled (or setup as autoattack on cooldown) .
  • Glyph of tides is removed and Glyph of empowerment is restored.
  • Trait Ancient seeds is removed and one which extends the duration of the Celestial Avatar is introduced.
  • Celestial shadow is reworked to stealth allies around the druid for short time, similar to the stealth gyro. Remove the superpeed and extend the stealth to 5s. Enemies should see a big shadowish / dark circle on the ground where the druid is.
  • Druid does not cleanse conditions but transform them into regeneration or protection.
  • GM trait lingering light replaces Natural Mender and Beta trait Lingering Light is brought back.
  • Druidic Clarity is changed to pulse 1 condition conversion every 3 seconds to allies and druid.

I like this, I do want one skill though that fires Wisps out like the rev trident. The two skills on that weapon makes it a blast to use underwater; I imagine it would be fun to have similar skills on land and I Feel like the druid would offer a different enough theme and variant that it could work. Otherwise I like everything proposed thus-far in this thread; Perhaps make it that when you go celestial Avatar your pet does too? So the effect surrounds both of you?

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

• Glyph of tides is removed and Glyph of empowerment is restored.

I like this, I do want one skill though that fires Wisps out like the rev trident. The two skills on that weapon makes it a blast to use underwater; I imagine it would be fun to have similar skills on land and I Feel like the druid would offer a different enough theme and variant that it could work. Otherwise I like everything proposed thus-far in this thread; Perhaps make it that when you go celestial Avatar your pet does too? So the effect surrounds both of you?

Agreed the wisp concept (or rather the little orbs ) is very cool to play with. Staff#2 would send a wisp toward an ally which would heal them once on impact and burn enemies around that ally and heal allies which the wisp go across for a short while.Also the beta trait Lingering Light created a wisp which floated around the druid when in combat. That wisp works the same as the Astral Wisp (staff#2) so allies around the druid would be healed and enemies burned.

i think this is the easiest apporach to fix or at least make the druid a class you would want to play, because is so diferent on how the core ranger works.

@Solanum.6983 said:Honestly I think druid as a whole needs a rework, I feel like CA should be a toggle instead of a build up 15 sec super healer.

But back on topic, I Love the Idea of Staff Druid, It's a shame the skills aren't that great.Solar Beam can be very underwhelming, both with hitting targets and healing I think they should increase the size of the beam maybe buff it a bit and also let us target teammates.Astral Wisp Is pretty useless, I think it should be changed to be an aoe.Astral Grace is okay as it is but it needs to have an Evade while doing it.Vine Surge can be Hard to hit single targets with.Sublime Conversion is okay I guess but I think making it a Dome or at least bigger would be much better.

Druid needs an expansion level rework, the entire elite makes no sense.

thinkig about it i though it would be better to remove glyph of equality instead tides : equality is an instant daze with no counter while tides has a better tell and mechanic. The stunbreak could be placed in the healing Glyph.also balancing dazes from equality with a "pulsing" effect would be impossible without being super annoying or usseless. Tides is better designed to not using the tether mechanic without looking inconsistent .

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:

• Glyph of tides is removed
    Glyp of equality is removed and Glyph of empowerment is restored.

My goodness. Staff shouldn't become a condi weapon. The current staff just need tweaks

• 2 Astral wisp needs to travel faster, hit harder (500*1.4 coefficent), and become unblockable

• 3 Needs the evade back

• 4 Needs reduced cast time