closed due to lack of interest

BnooMaGoo.5690

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:I reread all the responses to this post just for the heckuvit.I also thought about deleting all of my comments including the topic itself by editing to nothingness.I pay to play this game but I don't pay to police these forums or make sure people treat my participation in them fairly through checks and balances, thumbs up or helpful points added or subtractions because someone got their feelings hurt.Getting badges or more stars beside my "name" is akin to a social credit system favoured by some governments (hello China) but not my cup of tea.They usually lead to little more than popularity contests on these forums as well as a skewed definition of what Arenanet themselves describe as "lively conversation".Seeing a video of someone easily beat something I have difficulty with along with their commentary on their opinion of my lacks or whatever isn't really helpful to me or does it address what I was talking aboutbut it might score points with the choir

No one cares about being popular here. Honestly if getting the answer literally handed to you in video form can't help you, then I'm not sure what will. You have not articulated in any fashion why the strategies provided by people in this thread are not useful. We are not here to agree with you. You presented an idea that is clearly way below the status quo for difficulty and are receiving the well expected disagreement.

seeing a video doesnt magically give you the same skills. and isnt the first thread about this fight either.some classes can literally do it without breaking a sweat, while others are almost impossible.this is obviously one of the worst STORY bosses in the entire universe

There was no skill needed. I auto attacked for 90% of the video. It was also done while being severely undergeared on the exact same class the op was using.

so why couldnt he do it with a BETTER toon? think really hard about the answer...

No need to ponder the answer. They couldn't do the bare minimum of even auto attacking. That's not the bar we should be balancing the game around.

auto attack is a SKILL too, if you want to be pedantic about it. it is usually the first button on the SKILL BAR after allnice try BTW. but its about PLAYER skills, not CHARACTER skills

That's right. Story episodes are designed to challenge the average player. This means that some players will struggle with it while others can win with both arms tied behind their back.

and im telling you, that the average player dont even WANT this kind of challenge.and the fact that this boss is so poorly balanced for some classes is also a huge problemthere is a word for this kind of of content, and it isnt flatteringbut i guess they are fine with running their own game into the groundmaybe they are tired of the job, and just want out

You don't speak for the average player. Neither do I.

You haven't established that this boss is poorly balanced for some classes. You have been shown otherwise in video, however.There is a word for content that offers no challenge: Boring!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:There is a word for content that offers no challenge: Boring!

this.

if they made story encounters offer absolutely 0 challenge, and you can clear fights by just standing still and spamming 1, then i'd rather they just gave us the old cutscenes from the 10-80 story or just gave us a movie like scene (like that living world season 1 recap from the NPC) for each new expansion and each new living world season then dump us into the new open world zone when it's done.

playing a game with 0 challenge to me is more of a waste of time... i'd rather just be watching an equivalent cutscene or fmv with my character in it. atleast my character can do cooler stuff or movement not possible in-game in a pre-rendered video or cutscene

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:There is a word for content that offers no challenge: Boring!

this.

if they made story encounters offer absolutely 0 challenge, and you can clear fights by just standing still and spamming 1, then i'd rather they just gave us the old cutscenes from the 10-80 story or just gave us a movie like scene (like that living world season 1 recap from the NPC) for each new expansion and each new living world season then dump us into the new open world zone when it's done.

playing a game with 0 challenge to me is more of a waste of time... i'd rather just be watching an equivalent cutscene or fmv with my character in it. atleast my character can do cooler stuff or movement not possible in-game in a pre-rendered video or cutscene

I got a good laugh out of suggestions such as "don't add boss mechanic to story" as if this is a Walking Simulator. I do hate pointing out the obvious but this is a video game with combat in it, "COMBAT" so at some point there will be a boss that test your knowledge of the game.Just saying This isn't a Walking Simulator

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:I reread all the responses to this post just for the heckuvit.I also thought about deleting all of my comments including the topic itself by editing to nothingness.I pay to play this game but I don't pay to police these forums or make sure people treat my participation in them fairly through checks and balances, thumbs up or helpful points added or subtractions because someone got their feelings hurt.Getting badges or more stars beside my "name" is akin to a social credit system favoured by some governments (hello China) but not my cup of tea.They usually lead to little more than popularity contests on these forums as well as a skewed definition of what Arenanet themselves describe as "lively conversation".Seeing a video of someone easily beat something I have difficulty with along with their commentary on their opinion of my lacks or whatever isn't really helpful to me or does it address what I was talking aboutbut it might score points with the choir

No one cares about being popular here. Honestly if getting the answer literally handed to you in video form can't help you, then I'm not sure what will. You have not articulated in any fashion why the strategies provided by people in this thread are not useful. We are not here to agree with you. You presented an idea that is clearly way below the status quo for difficulty and are receiving the well expected disagreement.

seeing a video doesnt magically give you the same skills. and isnt the first thread about this fight either.some classes can literally do it without breaking a sweat, while others are almost impossible.this is obviously one of the worst STORY bosses in the entire universe

There was no skill needed. I auto attacked for 90% of the video. It was also done while being severely undergeared on the exact same class the op was using.

so why couldnt he do it with a BETTER toon? think really hard about the answer...

No need to ponder the answer. They couldn't do the bare minimum of even auto attacking. That's not the bar we should be balancing the game around.

auto attack is a SKILL too, if you want to be pedantic about it. it is usually the first button on the SKILL BAR after allnice try BTW. but its about PLAYER skills, not CHARACTER skills

That's right. Story episodes are designed to challenge the average player. This means that some players will struggle with it while others can win with both arms tied behind their back.

and im telling you, that the average player dont even WANT this kind of challenge.

...and I'm telling you the average player doesn't have much of a trouble with story mode or this boss, it's the people that fail at basics of the game, which are way below the average player and probably treat the game as a storytelling flip-book.(hey, my guess about what "an average player actually is" is as good as yours, right? -probably better though)

and the fact that this boss is so poorly balanced for some classes is also a huge problem

It's not poorly balanced, it literally only requires some basic knowledge of the game mechanics. If your complaint is based on "I don't want to learn, I just want to press one button and win" (after core game, first expansion and halfway through the second expansion btw), then.. you know... change games I suppose. This is an mmorpg, not telltale's adventure game.

...also for what classes exactly is it so unbearable? And why do you think so?

there is a word for this kind of of content, and it isnt flattering

I'm actually curious, what -in your opinion- is that word?

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"BnooMaGoo.5690" said:Why bother responding to rub my nose in whatever? These forums are a bit a joke.PS don't you need to finish PoF to unlock skimmer underwater

shrugs for the "elitist just get good" critics

Then what exactly is the point of this thread? You post on a public forum and then complain that someone dare responding what they think about it? Then don't post anything and opt for a private diary. Just reread your first post, you didn't ask for anything, you just made a thread as if it's your personal blog: "content too hard for me, will I ever finish it? Nobody knows. Thanks for reading, bye".

And about your next posts: the design isn't bad just because some people managed to not complete the content on their first try. If someone repeatedly fails at completing the story mode then they fail at basics of the game and need to improve, that's all.

yea, thats right, people change all the time. its not like their personality or skillsets mean anything.

Please explain how exactly this is an answer to my post.

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here -that people capable of learning something are somehow extraordinary?

and since this is the only mmo on the market, i guess they are stuck here forever. tough luck cookie

Just as above, how is this an answer to my post?

• Confused 1

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Sodeni.6041" said:I really don't know how people can struggle at this "boss". I remember killing him first try when PoF came out (he was stronger back then) and I even got the fast kill achievement first try with my exo condi gear staff/axe/torch mirage. Nothing special imo?

this may come as a shock to you, but other people arent YOU. and the game needs more than one player to survive.this is the nth thread about this particular boss. something is clearly wrong

Perhaps, but nothing in this thread, nor in the other N thousand other threads about this boss, nor in the interminable series of threads about the "impossible" fight with Vaylin in chapter IX of the Knights of the Eternal Throne expansion of SWTOR, will tell us what it is.

For the Vaylin fight, there are some mild mechanics, of the sort that a GW2 player would barely notice compared to e.g. the stuff in the Glint's lair part of LS2, and a requirement to pay attention to what you're doing, but there is a subset of players who just cannot be helped. Some complain of the difficulty, but take the offered advice and run with it, and come back with good news. Others complain of the impossibility, and nothing we say seems to get through to them.

Game difficulty should not be set up for the wilfully obtuse. If someone is willing to put in some effort, to recognise that learning is possible and even necessary, and then goes ahead and learns, cool. If someone is offered sound advice (if you dig over on the SWTOR forums for threads about that Vaylin fight, you'll find a name you might recognise among the people offering advice) but refuses to do anything useful with it, all we can do, in the end, is just walk away shaking our heads.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:
Yesterday on my Revenant.. Couldn't change to my hammer due to the story blocking my inventory, so i was stuck on melee.. I know how this works and he still killed me.. one attack took 20k hp then he dragged me in to be killed... 20k hit points in one hit.

I find that reaper necromancer is one of the easier PvE professions to play with, so if you have one everything in PvE will be a lot easier when playing with it. Warrior is probably one of the worser professions right now especially when using a ranged weapon so everything may seem harder.

I beat it with no death in less than a minute on my dual pistol thief.. Why because its ranged and armed to the teeth with cc skills, as i said most bosses are designed to destroy melee.. and classes are so imbalanced its not at all funny.

@ASP.8093 said:

@"battledrone.8315" said:dont need a video for that, this is a difficulty spike. they were invented for the old arcade games to suck quarters out of kids pocketsthe only reason to put them into a bought game is to stretch the content. alternatively, they dont have a clue, what theyre doing.take your pick

It's not a difficulty spike.

Some fights that you would have already experienced to get here, if you followed the order of the story as it's available now:Mouth of ZhaitanVorpp (in "Meeting the Asura")MordremothCaduceusLazarusHerald of Balthazar (2x)Balthazar

Other than herald and Balth a new customer can totally miss all the rest if they were just after mounts.

@Dante.1508 said:

Yesterday on my Revenant.. Couldn't change to my hammer due to the story blocking my inventory, so i was stuck on melee.. I know how this works and he still killed me.. one attack took 20k hp then he dragged me in to be killed... 20k hit points in one hit.

I find that reaper necromancer is one of the easier PvE professions to play with, so if you have one everything in PvE will be a lot easier when playing with it. Warrior is probably one of the worser professions right now especially when using a ranged weapon so everything may seem harder.

I beat it with no death in less than a minute on my dual pistol thief.. Why because its ranged and armed to the teeth with cc skills, as i said most bosses are designed to destroy melee.. and classes are so imbalanced its not at all funny.

That is simply false. Neither the Eater of Souls nor "most bosses" are designed to destroy melee. Melee tends to be higher risk with higher reward, but most bosses are not specifically designed with anti-melee in mind. There are some like the mushrooms which are significantly less dangerous from range. But HoT/story content is actually quite melee-friendly, generally speaking. The PoF bounties are a better example of bosses designed with mechanics that really punish melee.

As evidence to back my claim, feel free to review my video of sword weaver killing Eater of Souls off of a single breakbar opener in 17 seconds. Or the video you requested where I use the same melee-locked build to complete the Balthazar HP challenge in Auric Basin in 50 seconds. You've previously claimed both melee and elementalist are at a disadvantage. How are we still making these claims? I don't get it.

@Dante.1508 said:

@ASP.8093 said:

@"battledrone.8315" said:dont need a video for that, this is a difficulty spike. they were invented for the old arcade games to suck quarters out of kids pocketsthe only reason to put them into a bought game is to stretch the content. alternatively, they dont have a clue, what theyre doing.take your pick

Some fights that you would have already experienced to get here, if you followed the order of the story as it's available now:Mouth of ZhaitanVorpp (in "Meeting the Asura")MordremothCaduceusLazarusHerald of Balthazar (2x)Balthazar

Other than herald and Balth a new customer can totally miss all the rest if they were just after mounts.

Ok, worst case, I feel like the giant montage of Cool Stuff You Did In The Past immediately preceding that specific encounter should be a clue that you're really really doing the story out-of-order at that point.

@Dante.1508 said:

Ranged can be easier because you can ignore or predict some of the mechanics of enemies easily, due to the distance you can put between yourself and the target. The trade-off I found in the classes I play though is that close range generally does more damage. So if you are able to manage the mechanics fine attacking from closer seems to kill them faster in a lot of cases.

@Atomos.7593 said:

Ranged can be easier because you can ignore or predict some of the mechanics of enemies easily, due to the distance you can put between yourself and the target. The trade-off I found in the classes I play though is that close range generally does more damage. So if you are able to manage the mechanics fine attacking from closer seems to kill them faster in a lot of cases.

I disagree there isn't that much difference between a casual ranged class and a casual melee class, i use mostly Exotics because one they are easier to get and two Ascended are incredibly expensive for classes i consider worthless.. as they get changed, nerfed and die a lot.. so i just don't bother giving them good stuff just to have their gears become obsolete. Thief, Warrior, Elementalist and lesser so Mesmer are to me all worthless classes in high ping scenarios.. and very hard to solo on, so i don't bother with crafting 200-300g ascended sets.

@ASP.8093 said:

@ASP.8093 said:

Ok, worst case, I feel like the giant montage of Cool Stuff You Did In The Past immediately preceding that specific encounter should be a clue that you're really really doing the story out-of-order at that point.

What montage.. i personally have done all that stuff and died many times on all of it.. a lot of times on certain classes, but as i said a new player can easily avoid all the living story stuff as they one need to buy it separately and two outside of story its not needed.. Zaitan maybe gets done.. Herald and Balthazar are obviously the ones before this boss.

@Dante.1508 said:

I disagree there isn't that much difference between a casual ranged class and a casual melee class, i use mostly Exotics because one they are easier to get and two Ascended are incredibly expensive for classes i consider worthless.. as they get changed, nerfed and die a lot.. so i just don't bother giving them good stuff just to have their gears become obsolete. Thief, Warrior, Elementalist and lesser so Mesmer are to me all worthless classes in high ping scenarios.. and very hard to solo on, so i don't bother with crafting 200-300g ascended sets.

Not sure what casual means exactly in this context, but if you can dodge at a reasonable level I find that close range does much more damage for some classes. A good example is the elementalist with dagger/dagger and staff. Dagger/dagger does a lot more damage but requires a lot of dodging at close range since elementalist is pretty squishy. Staff generally provides a safe option at range although it does much less damage. I mostly use exotics too since I can't be bothered with ascendeds.

I guess if you're ping is very high dodging may be a problem, but if it's not and you are able to dodge fighting at close range is sometimes a better option to kill enemies quickly. I am playing from Australia and my average ping is about 242 on the NBN, but am still able to dodge reasonably ok.

@Ronan.9518 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

It is annoying to those who don't know how to use cc/have problems to time their cc to break his breakbar.

The time-window to cc the souleater might not be long, but it is predictable when it will come up as his animations indicate it.

you don't even need to cc, all you need is attack it from range, when he does his pull just dodge back and run, when he's done sucking go back and pew pew him

you can cheesy him kite him to the staircase and get him stuck in the ruins, then just pew pew him down from lower ground, but it I have not figured out how to get him stuck with 100% success rate

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@aspirine.6852 said:Spellbreaker should do very well in pof whole story... I cant remember this fight at all, is it that annoying?

It is annoying to those who don't know how to use cc/have problems to time their cc to break his breakbar.

The time-window to cc the souleater might not be long, but it is predictable when it will come up as his animations indicate it.

you don't even need to cc, all you need is attack it from range, when he does his pull just dodge back and run, when he's done sucking go back and pew pew him

you can cheesy him kite him to the staircase and get him stuck in the ruins, then just pew pew him down from lower ground, but it I have not figured out how to get him stuck with 100% success rate

This is correct. I killed him on my warrior with a longbow (probably one of the worst class/weapon combo in the game) and used no cc skills. I just made sure to keep moving around and not stay in the same place the whole time.

@Atomos.7593 said:

Not sure what casual means exactly in this context, but if you can dodge at a reasonable level I find that close range does much more damage for some classes. A good example is the elementalist with dagger/dagger and staff. Dagger/dagger does a lot more damage but requires a lot of dodging at close range since elementalist is pretty squishy. Staff generally provides a safe option at range although it does much less damage. I mostly use exotics too since I can't be bothered with ascendeds.

I guess if you're ping is very high dodging may be a problem, but if it's not and you are able to dodge fighting at close range is sometimes a better option to kill enemies quickly. I am playing from Australia and my average ping is about 242 on the NBN, but am still able to dodge reasonably ok.

Casual means sub par builds.. Damage wise they are usually on par. I'm on ADSL2+ because i cannot get NBN here (Rural QLD) so on a good day i'm on 280 a bad day 380-400 Avg..

@Dante.1508 said:

What is "casual" melee vs. "casual" ranged? Melee is generally higher risk for higher reward. If you're forced to play too defensively, you will deal less damage. Are you saying that if you can't manage the mechanics and rotations at melee range, then you're better off at range? I can agree with that.

Exotic gear is not your problem. You would not be able to tell the slightest difference between your performance against a story boss in exotic vs. ascended. It's 5% stats. Without group buffs and proper rotation, the difference is negligible.

If you play at barely playable latency, it is unreasonable to expect the game to cater to your specific needs. You're supposed to watch for visual queues and avoid them. That's the basis for the game's combat. If you're unable to do so due to technical limitations, the game will not be enjoyable.