Pet balance is not a numbers game

kiwituatara.6053

@kiwituatara.6053 said:To the devs, please understand what is actually going on with high damaging pets before nerfing them

So pets were designed to have tradeoffs in the beginning. For the longest time, felines/birds were supposed to be high damage pets but easy to kill. On the other side of the spectrum, you had bears that did low damage, but were tanks. Felines/birds were easily countered simply by killing the pets as they died very quickly, punishing the ranger to have a longer pet swap cooldown. As a result, birds/felines were not popular in core ranger or druid builds for the longest time. This counterplay no longer existed when Soulbeast was introduced as you could maintain a high damaging pet that essentially never died. With the recent damage nerfs, you've fixed this problem for Soulbeasts, but those pets will be even more useless for core rangers and druids.

The current post-nerf birds now hit slightly higher than bears, but has no change in vitality or toughness. The trade-off between pet damage and pet tankiness is way off-balance at the moment. There is no point slotting a glassy pet that does low damage that is going to die fast and penalise your pet swap cooldown.

Please re-think your method of re-balancing pets! The current method is killing pet diversity and non-Soulbeast builds

We mesmers know your pain. We have donuts and coffee on the table, pull up a chair and join us.

• 1 month later...

@Mouse.7382 said:

@kiwituatara.6053 said:To the devs, please understand what is actually going on with high damaging pets before nerfing them

So pets were designed to have tradeoffs in the beginning. For the longest time, felines/birds were supposed to be high damage pets but easy to kill. On the other side of the spectrum, you had bears that did low damage, but were tanks. Felines/birds were easily countered simply by killing the pets as they died very quickly, punishing the ranger to have a longer pet swap cooldown. As a result, birds/felines were not popular in core ranger or druid builds for the longest time. This counterplay no longer existed when Soulbeast was introduced as you could maintain a high damaging pet that essentially never died. With the recent damage nerfs, you've fixed this problem for Soulbeasts, but those pets will be even more useless for core rangers and druids.

The current post-nerf birds now hit slightly higher than bears, but has no change in vitality or toughness. The trade-off between pet damage and pet tankiness is way off-balance at the moment. There is no point slotting a glassy pet that does low damage that is going to die fast and penalise your pet swap cooldown.

Please re-think your method of re-balancing pets! The current method is killing pet diversity and non-Soulbeast builds

We mesmers know your pain. We have donuts and coffee on the table, pull up a chair and join us.

Can..... Can I bring gummy bears and some booze to the party? I mean its just irish creamer for coffee... but I'd feel bad if I didn't bring anything... to this table... in which sits all the stuff A-net has yet to deliver.

• 2 weeks later...

Pets attack to slow. They move to slow. The pets are unable to properly track an enemy. When the pet arrives at the destination to "begin an attack", the opponant has taken 2 steps backwards, causing the pet to automatically miss. A moving opponant makes the pet completely useless. I seen bears, dogs, and lions literally rip people apart in seconds in real life, and the pets in GW2 are like......Line 10: Go to function find enemy target. Line 20: once reached position begin attack sequance . Line 30: Error, target is not at this location, skill on cooldown. Line 40: reaquire target, if target has moved to location B.....bleh bleh bleh bleh. I'm sure it's a little bit more complicated than that....but the programming for the pet, causes the pet to "think too much". There's too much overthinking of the program and what it's supposed to do like...maul an enemy ferociously and quickly....something Ranger pets can't even do.

• 1 month later...