[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:Bummer. I was hoping Steam would give me a more stable connection. But I'm not going to start over from scratch.

It'll be the same client and same servers, it wouldn't do anything for your connection either way.

So Steam will be nothing more than a launcher and a cash collector?

it's another payment gateway and marketing platform for ArenaNet, ideally to create more paying customers (due to having more payment methods available) and draw in more new players (due to the millions of active users in steam and the exposure gw2 would potentially receive)

if you break everything down to the basics, yes it's a cash collector... no different to any decision/move made by any company -- the attempt draw in more profit unless it's for charity

gw2 on steam. ok. but Steam is in depend platform, whit wide community talks.How after that join we can close them mouths?we have good moderation on forum, good partnership whit reddit, who delete messagtes, but if Steam community come and start talk about "bots on pvp, bots on low level maps, hacker on wvw, lags on wvw, lagsspikes everywhere, non nice messages about disconnect-recconect, toxic raids ... and many other things" on other independed boards it will be not nice for us.How we will be protected from true??

Extremely disappointed with the account situation. I am sure it is an accounting difficulty on your end to make the accounts more open, but so many companies overcome this and focus on providing a good service to their customers over selfish shortcuts. You're only allowing new customers to use Steam client, which feels like an insult to your loyal customers. Think of us first and foremost and the money will come. Please stop falling for anti-consumer traps that offer short term gains at the expense of the service quality. Some companies see a bad ledger and think, how can we pass this off on the customers? Some companies see a bad ledger and think, how can we improve the service? Anet doesn't always have to be the bad guy in this scenario.

Just do it properly, how is that too much to ask? Look at your Guild Wars 1 business model on Steam. I bought my Factions module on Steam to have access to Steam client and can play my normal Anet web account there. I was pretty disappointed when you didn't launch on Steam back in 2012 so we could have both clients in the same place on the same billing and account services. You've probably flushed a quarter billion dollars of revenue down the toilet not having launched there over the last 8 years from all the lost marketing and lost market share to other MMOs who had the foresight to do it. We've been posting about Steam launch for 8 years, and we get shut out when it finally comes. It's just exasperating.

@Asgaeroth.6427 said:You're only allowing new customers to use Steam client, which feels like an insult to your loyal customers.Don't see any insult. Need use some additional-wrapper-laucher - so use it. For loyal customers nothing change.

Anet doesn't always have to be the bad guy in this scenario.Site A now sell GuildWars2. Site B now sell GuildWars2. Steam now sell GuildWars2. So what ?

I bought my Factions module on Steam to have access to Steam client and can play my normal Anet web account there. I was pretty disappointed when you didn't launch on Steam back in 2012 so we could have both clients in the same place on the same billing and account services.One more shortcut on descop give so much trouble? or what?

It's just exasperating.I just GuildWars2 and few other mmo player. I don't try use steam and never try create that steam account. If Anet have one more market point - welcome. Ofc I have a little bit worried that players opinion on 3th side resource from that platform, sad - they independent, but if we tak about market share extend - why not?

@"lare.5129" said:gw2 on steam. ok. but Steam is in depend platform, whit wide community talks.How after that join we can close them mouths?we have good moderation on forum, good partnership whit reddit, who delete messagtes, but if Steam community come and start talk about "bots on pvp, bots on low level maps, hacker on wvw, lags on wvw, lagsspikes everywhere, non nice messages about disconnect-recconect, toxic raids ... and many other things" on other independed boards it will be not nice for us.How we will be protected from true??

Yep won't be able to moderate/delete the truth on steam.

@lare.5129 said:

@"MokahTGS.7850" said:Did they give a good reason/explanation as to why we can't link our current accounts to a steam account? I'd buy EoD on Steam if I could, but won't if you can't.it is easy - if you use steam account and like it - you can buy per steam one more account, if you not use it at all - nothing changes for you.

That does not answer my question. I know how steam works...lol. I was asking WHY you can't link your steam version to an existing account. I was wondering if ANet has given any reason other than "nope"

@MokahTGS.7850 said:

@MokahTGS.7850 said:Did they give a good reason/explanation as to why we can't link our current accounts to a steam account? I'd buy EoD on Steam if I could, but won't if you can't.it is easy - if you use steam account and like it - you can buy per steam one more account, if you not use it at all - nothing changes for you.

That does not answer my question. I know how steam works...lol. I was asking WHY you can't link your steam version to an existing account. I was wondering if ANet has given any reason other than "nope" it was a decision made by arenanet when they opted to release the game to steam. was it a wise one? maybe yes maybe no. no one knows exactly why, only ArenaNet can answer that and they never gave more info or an answer to the "why" question. every reason you see here in this thread or on other threads and on reddit are just speculations.

some people argue it's because they want to avoid steam's "30% cut" -- what they fail realise is that if a game does well, steam reduces it's cut to 25% and further down to 20% if the game keeps selling well. see: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/1697191267930157838 quoted:

With that in mind, we’ve created new revenue share tiers for games that hit certain revenue levels. Starting from October 1, 2018 (i.e. revenues prior to that date are not included), when a game makes over $10 million on Steam, the revenue share for that application will adjust to 75%/25% on earnings beyond $10M. At $50 million, the revenue share will adjust to 80%/20% on earnings beyond $50M. Revenue includes game packages, DLC, in-game sales, and Community Marketplace game fees. Our hope is this change will reward the positive network effects generated by developers of big games, further aligning their interests with Steam and the community. take note, all other existing retail partners of ArenaNet like Amazon, DL-gamer etc. also take a cut in sales no storefront or online platform would sell your product without a % share in profit

if you head over to the steam forums for GW2 and filter out the trash and toxic posts you'll see that there's a lot of demand to have the ability to link your existing ArenaNet account to steam (same here -- if you go back read a few pages -- and on reddit) people want the ease of payment (more payment methods) and the possibility of regional pricing that comes with steam -- without having to start over to a new "steam-only gw2" account and continue their progress using their existing main characters/accounts -- it's not just the ability to chat and let your steam friends see you're playing GW2 like some arguments being pushed around here. 

• if your reason for wanting GW2 in steam is to just have a nice overlay with chat to friends and let them know you're playing your favourite mmorpg -- you can do that right now by adding GW2 as a non-steam game and labelling it "Guild Wars 2" 
  • if your reason for wanting GW2 in steam is to have access to better payment methods, having gemstore things priced in your local currency instead of USD/EURO then im afraid the only solution for now (unless they change it before launch) is to create a "shopping alt account" in steam GW2 to gift your main characters gemstore stuff so you don't have to start over.

let's hope for the best and hope they allows us to link our ArenaNet accounts with our steam accounts in the future

@lare.5129 said:

@Asgaeroth.6427 said:You're only allowing new customers to use Steam client, which feels like an insult to your loyal customers.Don't see any insult. Need use some additional-wrapper-laucher - so use it. For loyal customers nothing change.

Anet doesn't always have to be the bad guy in this scenario.Site A now sell GuildWars2. Site B now sell GuildWars2. Steam now sell GuildWars2. So what ?

I bought my Factions module on Steam to have access to Steam client and can play my normal Anet web account there. I was pretty disappointed when you didn't launch on Steam back in 2012 so we could have both clients in the same place on the same billing and account services.One more shortcut on descop give so much trouble? or what?

It's just exasperating.I just GuildWars2 and few other mmo player. I don't try use steam and never try create that steam account. If Anet have one more market point - welcome. Ofc I have a little bit worried that players opinion on 3th side resource from that platform, sad - they independent, but if we tak about market share extend - why not?

If you don't get it, you're not going to get it. I really clearly stated the main reasons why I want it, and there is many more reasons as well. You managed to exclude those details in your point by point breakdown, refuting them with that context removed to make yourself feel like you've made a valid point. I want to play Steam client with the progress I've made. Anet wont allow that even though I've been asking for 8 years. It's important to me, saying it can't be because it is not important to you is not useful. I will continue to ask for Steam client access whether you think I should want it or not.

And beyond all that, it's an issue of the service quality as a whole. Most MMOs do not split the community like this. It adds incredible complexity and trouble passed onto the consumer to manage for no real benefit to Anet. The extra money they might fleece out of us old customers will be weighed against the lost opportunity from a better service. Zenimax, EA, and many many others allow you to link your main account to your Steam account and play Steam and web client from the same account. That comes with strings from Valve and I understand they are hard to swallow for the accountants. It is worth it to serve your customers the better service regardless, and this is effectively proven by past experience from other companies. Anet is taking the low road on this and it is going to bite them hard. They don't need to make the same mistakes that others made before them. So there is both the personal issue that I have where their decision severely negatively impacts me, and the overall needless damage they are doing to the service quality. Both are really frustrating, doubly so considering GW1 is already running the correct account situation between Steam and web client. Their 15 year old product shouldn't have the superior account services.

@"brokenrabbit.6538" said:You can add non-Steam games to the Steam launcher. I don't see what the big deal is.

the big deal for a lot of people is beyond just wanting to launch it from steam and having a fancy chat/friends overlay.

people not from NA/EU want to be able to pay in their local currency so any currency that isn't EURO or US DOLLAR and steam provides that because each steam account is localised. another reason is potential regional pricing -- this is the regional pricing for Guild Wars 1 -- see how GW1 Trilogy costs 30 dollars in the states while it costs half/nearly half of that like 15~17 dollars for countries like Peru, Philippine, Thailand, etc. though ArenaNet could do a 180 on regional pricing and make it so it's the same price everywhere, but still being able to pay in local currency is a big deal to people not from NA/EU -- not to mention being able to pay without a credit card by buying steam wallet prepaid cards or by selling skins/marketplace items you earn from other games

people don't want to lose 1~8 years worth of progress because they can't continue their main on steam. if these people want to support or keep supporting ArenaNet better they have to suffer with the current payment methods where in some places like brazil gives hefty fees for charging with an international credit card -- with steam they can do it without suffering excess charges on their bank accounts

@"Astyrah.4015"

“some people argue it's because they want to avoid steam's "30% cut" -- what they fail realise is that if a game does well, steam reduces it's cut to 25% and further down to 20% if the game keeps selling well. see:”

Why would it be a smart business decision for NC and Anet to willingly hand over between 20% - 30% of the revenue from their existing player base that predates Steam? Do you realize what the implications would be on game development and players if NC and Anet gave away many millions to Steam?

@Agua.1607 said:Personally, I would buy the next expansion if I'm allowed to move to steam my old account. Please let me buy the expansion for my old account via steam, else Iit would be impossible for me to buy the game due to recent law that forbids buying USD or buying by paying USD dollars. I have all content in my old account and I will not start again, seriously there is no way I renounce to my 27k anet points account.

If you're from Argentina like me, do yourself a favor and try to sell stuff (I sell gacha accounts) through paypal, and save those dollars for gaming purposes.

@Anchoku.8142 said:One nice convenience Arenanet could give to new accounts is a stack of Mystic Salvage kits in a letter explaining the Mystic Forge, its location, salvaging or selling unwanted equipment, and the recipe for the kit. Maybe not at level 1 but at some early milestone as they acquire mob drops.

You already get salvage kits (crude and basic) while leveling up.