New Pets for Rangers - [Merged]

Game of Bones.8975

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Pets could use a major reworking:

• Make the pet dodge with the Ranger.
  • Change all skills and traits that benefit the Ranger to also benefit the pet, no "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't".
  • Merged player and pet health pool, with cleave and AoE only able to hit one or the other, not both.
  • Pets tamed only by families (canine, feline, etc.), with the skin completely separate, and all skins made possible to obtain.
  • All melee pets can hit while moving, no rooting in place.

Asked for all that, exactly, in September 2012.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:Was thinking one possibility we don't have at the moment is spirit ranger.

Fix those and give us a scythe and I'm happy.

That has been the suggestion I have been posting for a while now, I think Spirit Shaman type character that loses the corporeal pet and gains a spirit pet that does not attack or cast skills, instead the F1-F5 are spirit skills depending on the family of pet you choose. Then give it a hammer with AoE ground targetted skills that also change depending on what pet you have with you and I will be a happy man.

@"Argon.2405" said:Also let's push for level able pets. I'm fed up with it saying "juvenile ____". Let me raise a dire pet again. Pets were so much more in gw1.

Not sure that is viable with balancing being as wonky as it already is. As for "juvenile", you can rename your pet if you want.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Argon.2405" said:Also let's push for level able pets. I'm fed up with it saying "juvenile ____". Let me raise a dire pet again. Pets were so much more in gw1.

Not sure that is viable with balancing being as wonky as it already is. As for "juvenile", you can rename your pet if you want.

That was the joy of GW1 pets. They grew in size getting bigger as they got stronger. Not this current Pokémon hot swap nonsense. A fully grown rainbow phoenix in GW1 would rival a skyscale for size.

I wouldn't so much if names didn't revert to Juvenile everytime it is swapped out.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Pets could use a major reworking:
  • Make the pet dodge with the Ranger.
  • Change all skills and traits that benefit the Ranger to also benefit the pet, no "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't".
  • Merged player and pet health pool, with cleave and AoE only able to hit one or the other, not both.
  • Pets tamed only by families (canine, feline, etc.), with the skin completely separate, and all skins made possible to obtain.
  • All melee pets can hit while moving, no rooting in place.

Asked for all that, exactly, in September 2012.

Add fixing the quickness bug and give us a reworked porcine skill (let it work like steal) to that list.

• 4 weeks later...

Want to have more insect pets. I want to sic a bunch of Fleas at my enemy. Give us Swarms, excruciating pain. Locust swarms, maybe causes cracked armor. Butterfly swarms to blind and confuse the enemy. Flea swarms to cause bleeding. And since they are swarms they'd be harder to kill in arena's like....WvW against zergs. A single pet gets destroyed by an enemy zerg....however....swarms of insects would be harder to destroy because of their sheer bug numbers...... Now there's a thought.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:Want to have more insect pets. I want to sic a bunch of Fleas at my enemy. Give us Swarms, excruciating pain. Locust swarms, maybe causes cracked armor. Butterfly swarms to blind and confuse the enemy. Flea swarms to cause bleeding. And since they are swarms they'd be harder to kill in arena's like....WvW against zergs. A single pet gets destroyed by an enemy zerg....however....swarms of insects would be harder to destroy because of their sheer bug numbers...... Now there's a thought.

Or how about those kitten dust mites in PoF as a pet?

• 2 weeks later...

@"Argon.2405" said:Bring back the exclusive end of story phoenix.

Also let's push for level able pets. I'm fed up with it saying "juvenile ____". Let me raise a dire pet again. Pets were so much more in gw1.

This could become a pet focused new elite spec, tbh.

Being able to train your pet into a bigger and stronger version, maybe even if slightly altered command skills. Ranger themselves most likely would get a penalty to their own stats to make up for that, tho. Stronger pet, weaker ranger, but the playstyle is focused on hard CC, so that you deal less damage doesn't matter that much, since your job is mostly to keep the enemy in place for your pet to kill it.

Revival of the bunny thumper thematically!

@Kodama.6453 said:

Also let's push for level able pets. I'm fed up with it saying "juvenile ____". Let me raise a dire pet again. Pets were so much more in gw1.

Being able to train your pet into a bigger and stronger version, maybe even if slightly altered command skills. Ranger themselves most likely would get a penalty to their own stats to make up for that, tho. Stronger pet, weaker ranger, but the playstyle is focused on hard CC, so that you deal less damage doesn't matter that much, since your job is mostly to keep the enemy in place for your pet to kill it.

Thats all I've ever wanted, They even have bigger pet models in the form of broodmothers and alphas that you see acrossed the maps too! so they can totally repurpose those.

@Kodama.6453 said:

That's the worst idea ever no pun intended. It's not the idea on its own that it's bad but....the general environment in which is created . The GW2 community would not care at all about the diminishing stats on ranger as all they'd see would be them...being killed by an AI and not the actual ranger; the community would rise up in arms to see the pets being nerfed to the ground and below...no compromises ...no mercy.

Just recently we had core ranger pets butchered because of the beastmaster build with double bird....why would you think that an entire elite based on the same concept would fare any differently?

We have all seen the modus operandi of the GW2 community and the devs ...one cries for nerfs all the time..the other ready to oblige at every turn for as long as it takes to change the subjects.

Tiger - Smokescale - Bristleback - rock gazelle - Birds - Iboga - Wyvern....all of them have been hard nerfed and you guys ask for more of the same thing while knowing the end result?

If the ranger community can hold any hope of seeing the next elite succeed then...you better pray it will have nothing to do ( for bigger part) with pets or ranged combat, these are two aspects of ranger which have been always hated ( undeniably and unjustifiably ) by the GW2 community.

Please for the love of the class....do not ask for stronger pets, new pets or super ranged burst

@Arheundel.6451 said:

That's the worst idea ever no pun intended. It's not the idea on its own that it's bad but....the general environment in which is created . The GW2 community would not care at all about the diminishing stats on ranger as all they'd see would be them...being killed by an AI and not the actual ranger; the community would rise up in arms to see the pets being nerfed to the ground and below...no compromises ...no mercy.

Just recently we had
core ranger pets butchered
because of the beastmaster build with double bird....why would you think that an entire elite based on the same concept would fare any differently?

We have all seen the modus operandi of the GW2 community and the devs ...one cries for nerfs all the time..the other ready to oblige at every turn for as long as it takes to change the subjects.

Tiger - Smokescale - Bristleback - rock gazelle - Birds - Iboga - Wyvern
....all of them have been hard nerfed and you guys ask for more of the same thing while knowing the end result?

If the ranger community can hold any hope of seeing the next elite succeed then...you better pray it will have nothing to do ( for bigger part) with pets or ranged combat, these are two aspects of ranger which have been always hated ( undeniably and unjustifiably ) by the GW2 community.

Please for the love of the class....
do not ask for stronger pets, new pets or super ranged burst

That's quite a pessimistic view.

I think it can work well while also requiring input from the ranger themselves.Let's say that the pet becomes stronger, but struggles to actually stick with a target. As long as your enemy is on the move, the pet won't deal alot of damage to them.

That's where the ranger comes into play. Like the bunny thumper playstyle, the ranger themselves is focused on CCing an enemy. They try to pin the enemy down, so the pet can actually do it's work.This is way less passive than just the ranger running circles kiting the enemy and the pet is dealing damage to them in the meantime.

And the counterplay would, once again, not be focused on the pet itself, but on the ranger. Measures to avoid getting cced (stability, stunbreaks, evades, etc) will help you keep moving and the pet won't be a threat.This might also work well in PvE environments, since rangers will get the "beastmaster" feeling of having a powerful pet, which also can apply it's damage to the enemies, since PvE enemies don't tend to move alot if their target stays on them, which might be the pet in this case.

There are ways to make this work without being overly passive and just an AI playstyle, I hope they will do something along those lines, since beastmasters are the ranger thematic I am interest in the most.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:That's the worst idea ever no pun intended. It's not the idea on its own that it's bad but....the general environment in which is created . The GW2 community would not care at all about the diminishing stats on ranger as all they'd see would be them...being killed by an AI and not the actual ranger; the community would rise up in arms to see the pets being nerfed to the ground and below...no compromises ...no mercy.

Just recently we had
because of the beastmaster build with double bird....why would you think that an entire elite based on the same concept would fare any differently?

....all of them have been hard nerfed and you guys ask for more of the same thing while knowing the end result?

That's quite a pessimistic view.

I seldom agree with Arheundel, but here I must say that he is not far from reality.

Ranger's Pets used to hit harder at release (less reliably, if possible, but harder) and whenever someone is downed by a pet in PvP/WvW there has always been a rise against pets from the community (I was 1 shoting thiefs in WvW with eagle's F2 in early 2013 without even using sic'em. The jaguar and it's stealth also used to be very popular with nice burst of damage from stealth... Tsss I still miss the times when "guard!" could send the pet onto the enemy walls...).

And it's true for every professions, I won't remind you how fast engineer's turets and necromancer's minions tend to be nerfed when they start some rampage in sPvP.

• 1 month later...

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Just recently we had

No pets no play, simple as that. I dont play the ranger to be a glorified thief with a nature aesthetic; I Want a pet focused bunny thumper with big monster pets. If it ain't that its getting the same treatment a soulbeast which is "It doesn't exist, at least not a living one."

• 1 month later...

Not just pets, anet nerfs anything moving for a ranger...cough spirits unbound cough. Which I think is the problem the expansion will face, and why we may be at the end of GW2 as a whole. Ranger has always seemingly been top 3 most played classes despite having viability issues and getting hit with nerfs most patches. The problem is there is nowhere else to go with it.

Can't run core as pets aren't allowed to do damage, but are still allowed to die and be a liability. Druid, WAS a support spec at one point--but they never did integrate spirits with it, because that would be logical. Soulbeast, is a mess. It's a 'fix' to pets dying all the time, which they wouldn't do if they were faster and...well, useful outside a F2 utility. They made Soulbeast MORE of a mess by eliminating pet swap in battle because 'the spec wasn't giving anything up'. When the spec wouldn't have to exist if they would quit nerfing pets (or make them immortal at least).

So what possibly could a new spec even entail? See bunny thumper thrown around everywhere--yeah chance of that happening when we get pet Aataxe's (i.e. never). There's no hope of an actual tank ranger with a pet that can stand in there and take damage. They might as well have given druid a hammer instead of a staff if they wanted that.

How I think they'll handle it is the worst way--give ranger access to firearms. We'll get teleports that will be nerfed, and essentially be a deadeye with a pet, still single target, still awful. But it is easiest for them as it already exists in the game, and keeps that 'unparalleled range' crap people like to use in the 'ranger should have a gun because RANGEr' debates....