Your wishes for events, locations, races and other lore-related elements in End of Dragons

Diovid.9506

For me, must-have are the following:

• Tengu and the Dominion of Winds. Maybe we won’t have the Tengu as a playable race (though I hope we will) but not having them as an important aspect of this Expansion (or the living story that follows it) would be the wrong decision.

• The history of and relations/hostilities amongst the different underwater races (Krait, Naga, Karka, Quaggans and Largos) and between those races and the deep sea dragon.

• Cantha’s relation to spirits and ancestors as seen for example in the Envoys, the history of the Ritualist profession and the existance of Tahnnakai Temple.

• The relation between the Jade Wind and the Affliction on the one hand and dragon magic / dragon corruption on the other hand.

• The origins of Kuunavang, her relation to the Elder Dragons and her possible relation to Glint.

• The history of purification in Cantha after GW1. Starting with purifying Cantha from the affliction and then contuining with purifying it from other races (such as Naga and Tengu), eventually going so far as to (try to) purify the Kurzicks and Luxons from their own cultural heritage.

• Bureaucracy, corruption, tradition, inequality and street gangs. To me these elements are quintessentially Canthan.

• The effect of the rising and defeat of the Tyrian-based Elder Dragons on the Canthan continent.

Elements that might be interesting if they are touched on but I can do without or that might not even have a place in the expansion:

• The Dredge, their tunnels from the shiverpeaks to cantha and Primordus.

• Possible links between the Wardens and the Sylvari

• The history of humanity on Tyria. There is some conflicting lore on whether humans were first brought to Tyria in Orr or whether humanity came from an area to the south of Cantha.

• The battle isles.

• The tentative suggestion that margonites might have been luxons that sailed away from Cantha before the Jade Sea was turned to jade.

That is all I could think of at the moment, though there is probably a lot more. So what about you guys. What do you want to see in the next expansion?

I will like to see the developments of Cantha City.

Have they added a place to be the...

Red Light District for adults to entertain themselves or do higher level criminal activites in secret?

Highest level for the richest members of socity live?

Have there been advancement to what kind of buildings the mid-class members of society live in?

new Minitry of Purity buildings all over the city for recruiting people and deploying guards?

How bad the undercity has become and how has it expanded over the 250 years?

Do they still sell three eye fish and say it is good quality and safe to eat?

My personal hope for Kaineng City is that it is a bit more dynamic than the one from GW1. I don't mind the fact that it is basically an entire region that is one city, however different parts of it should feel more diverse. In GW1 you were just going through zone after zone of the same brownish stacked houses. Alright the undercity and the skyway were a bit different but.. I don't know. They could do a lot more with a metropolitan area, especially with GW2's increased verticality and the passage of time as you said, EdwinLi.

@Diovid.9506 said:

• The history of humanity on Tyria. There is some conflicting lore on whether humans were first brought to Tyria in Orr or whether humanity came from an area to the south of Cantha.

This is a misunderstanding and not conflicting.Tyria is the name of the world and the continent. So it is perfectly possible and likely that the humans came from an area to the south of Cantha and where brought to Tyria (continent) by the Gods.

Also keep in mind that, eventhough the Gods are proven deities in lore, they're omnipotency might be exaggerated . so it is likely that the least powerfull version of the texts is the correct one.

I like most of your ideas, depending on the plot (if the DSD is a background plot for the following living world like Kralk was in PoF, I don't expect krait or quaggan stories or anything, for example), But I wouldn't bank on Dominion of Winds just yet. I guess we could see them be playable with this expansion, but I more likely see anet not doing this, since they can add them later. It's been teased for years the Tengu are struggling with destroyers, and always seemed rather obvious to me that when we get a Primordus expansion, we'll see them open up and become playable. The dominion isn't even on the right continent for this expansion

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@"Diovid.9506" said:

This is a misunderstanding and not conflicting.Tyria is the name of the world and the continent. So it is perfectly possible and likely that the humans came from an area to the south of Cantha and where brought to Tyria (continent) by the Gods.

Also keep in mind that, eventhough the Gods are proven deities in lore, they're omnipotency might be exaggerated . so it is likely that the least powerfull version of the texts is the correct one.

You are correct that it's not conflicting, however, you are missing a piece of the puzzle that leads people to think it's outright conflicting.The Orrian History Scrolls and Cathedral of Silence story establish that the Six Gods arrived on the world of Tyria from the Mists at Orr (specifically the Artesian Waters) and brought humanity with them via portal.

Road to the Desert mention humanity being brought to Cantha by the gods in 786 BE. An Empire Divided indirectly confirms they arrive via boat.

The GW1 manual timeline and other sources establish humanity arriving on continental Tyria in 205 BE.

I believe that is the conflicting lore that Diovid is talking about. But, it isn't really conflicting. People think it is because they aren't aware that humanity arrived on Cantha by boat, and not portal - people who say there's a conflict tend to think the Road to the Desert timeline is implying the Six Gods brought humanity to the world at Cantha, but it doesn't say that. That said, there's one piece of missing information that determines whether this is conflicting or not: the date when humanity was brought to the world. As it stands, our info is:

??? BE: Humanity brought to the world at Orr via portal by Six Gods' power.786 BE: Humanity sailed to Cantha for the first time (northern shores) by Six Gods' guidance.786-510 BE: Humanity sailed to Cantha for the second and third time (Kurzicks and Luxons).205 BE: Humanity sailed to Orr, Kourna, and Istan.

Our current info implies that humanity was taken from Orr before it could settle, and had to sail back there hundreds of years later. But because this is never said, people proclaim "conflict in lore!" Whether it truly is a conflict, or isn't, depends on what date that first event is, and what happened after it.

Given An Empire Divided, the implied missing piece of the puzzle is that humanity were whisked away to the Battle Isles or Sunrise Crest/Sunken Isles, and sailed to Cantha, then Tyria and Elona, in generational waves.

Random musings;

I want it all to feel organic and seamless unlike more recent designs which have been the opposite. I also want them to continue with the idea that outposts and towns are part of the main map and not isolated maps/instances. Amnoom is a perfect example of how to make a natural township.

I would love for Kaineng to still feel slum like and maze like. I know so many of us hated it in GW1, but I think in GW2 it could be something amazing to explore. My only concern is the Skyscale taking away some of that.

I want scenery not to glow vividly like it has since late LS3 and esp in the new fractal which supposedly uses the new assets

I want to it to be substantial and really not end up a one sided Aurene love fest. Cantha itself doesn't have the big draw Elona had for me because Factions was by far and away the weakest campaign imo, but it's still lore rich and a myriad of interesting fantasy biomes which can seamlessly bind together. If Anet finally remember what they can do with their lore and their map design, it will be something very special

What I would love to see is some answers to what happened after we defeated Shiro the Ministry started the purges. We know that the Dragon Empire united the Jade Sea,The Echovald Forest,Kaineng City, and Shin Jea Island. But what if that is the extent of the empire. What lies beyond the sea and forest.

I'm curious to see what has become of the non humans and what the reactions are to non human commanders and our motely crew. I want to see more of the Envoy's and there toes to the mists. I want to see if our friend Razah is still lurking around somewhere as he is a child of the mist he might be able to help us figure out how to transfer the dragon power without killing the dragon and or destroying the world.

It's tangentially touched on in some of the original post, but one thing I'd like to see is some proper implementation of the mystical fauna of Cantha, such as the Saltsprays, Rockhides, and kirin, and how they've developed since GW1 and where the Canthan dragons fit into the whole Elder Dragon thing overall. While the trailer implies that Kuunavang has her own model, I'll admit to being a bit worried that the Rockhides and some of the other unique Canthan fauna might end up being swept under the proverbial rug.

@Diovid.9506 said:

• The tentative suggestion that margonites might have been luxons that sailed away from Cantha before the Jade Sea was turned to jade.

Long, LONG before. Margonite civilisation flourished pre-Exodus, while the Jade Wind was nearly nine centuries later.

@RedCobra.7693 said:not really cantha related but im extremely excited for all the new elite specs, its the most exciting part of expansions for me. Lots of new armour skins for more fashion wars please too :)

It is still Cantha releated because we will know their Origin lore from the NPCs in Cantha that will explain the Elite Spec origins being Cantha origins like they did with most of PoF Elite Spec.

Revenant is the one Profession in question about having a Cantha origin Elite Spec because it is still new Profession to the world. The PoF one had a Charr origin since one of the first generation of Revenant named Gorea Halfcut created it when trying to see what Charr Legends she can summon using the Revenant's power but technically it can be consider Elona origin because she found the link in Elona while traveling around there.

A similar case may happen for EoD Revenant Elite Spec with another first generation Revenant creating the EoD Elite Spec for Revenant due to discover a link to a specific Legend in Cantha.

Not to mention the bunch of new Cantha themed skins.

@"Kodama.6453" said:I hope that the gang fighting in Kaineng are still a thing.

I want the Am Fah to have survived in the underground and keep experimenting to strengthen humanity through chemicals and diseases (possible engineer elite spec?).

Given the ending of WoC, that's not very likely. Am Fah and Jade Brotherhood ended with "better" leaders who wanted to make their guilds more peaceful and help out Canthans. As such they likely became more like freedom fighters than gangs.

Never properly replied to OP:

@"Diovid.9506" said:

• Cantha’s relation to spirits and ancestors as seen for example in the Envoys, the history of the Ritualist profession and the existance of Tahnnakai Temple.This is actually largely known already, actually. Read up on An Empire Divided or explore in-game. What's left unknown are fairly miniscule details. For example, envoys are criminals placed into service by the Oracle of the Mists (a title/position of the Empire's strongest ritualist of the time - in Factions, it was Suun, who was training Chiyo as his successor). They perform this duty as an act of redemption instead of going to their punishment in the afterlife.

• The relation between the Jade Wind and the Affliction on the one hand and dragon magic / dragon corruption on the other hand.There really isn't a relation between those three. The Jade Wind was caused by a gift of Dwayna's magic, while the Affliction was caused by Shiro using Envoy powers to force souls back into bodies (or something of the like). Both are of divine magic, or close to, and such has no relation to dragon magic.

• The history of purification in Cantha after GW1. Starting with purifying Cantha from the affliction and then contuining with purifying it from other races (such as Naga and Tengu), eventually going so far as to (try to) purify the Kurzicks and Luxons from their own cultural heritage.Technically, the Kurzicks and Luxons weren't "purified from their own cultural heritage". What happened was that Usoku launched a military campaign to forcibly drag them closer to being factions of the Canthan Empire. There's been no indication that the Kurzicks and Luxons cease to be unique in culture. This ties more into how over the centuries the two factions became distanced from the Canthan Empire - largely due to their engrossment in their petty war that began in large part thanks to the second emperor, Yian Zho, who first conquered the Luxons then Kurzicks and instigated the conquered Luxons into fighting Kurzicks during that campaign. By GW1's time, while technically vassal factions, they were so distanced from the northern Canthans that the only real relation was the occasional ambassador and tribute.

There's no indication of a loss of culture or title - yet - of the Kurzicks and Luxon people, just that they're not so distanced from the Empire's ruling.

• Possible links between the Wardens and the SylvariThere won't be any. Wardens were humans transformed by the forest spirit Urgoz, by all indication. That would tie them closer to the Spirits of the Wild than to any Elder Dragon.

• The battle isles.They sunk when Zhaitan rose.

• The tentative suggestion that margonites might have been luxons that sailed away from Cantha before the Jade Sea was turned to jade.It wasn't really a suggestion of the Margonites having been Luxons, actually, but our first indication that Margonites were erased from human history like Abaddon. In Nightfall there are ghosts who come from Ascalon and believe Margonites to have been a myth (these ghosts show up in PoF too, btw, and the curator though while he is still in denial of Ascalon's fate, he seems to have accepted that Margonites were not, in fact, a myth.

@Konig Des Todes, the things I mentioned are things I want to show up in some form or fashion in the world, the story instances, npc dialogue, pages of lore you collect or the like. For example you say:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Never properly replied to OP:

@"Diovid.9506" said:
  • Cantha’s relation to spirits and ancestors as seen for example in the Envoys, the history of the Ritualist profession and the existance of Tahnnakai Temple.This is actually largely known already, actually. Read up on
    or explore in-game. What's left unknown are fairly miniscule details. For example, envoys are criminals placed into service by the Oracle of the Mists (a title/position of the Empire's strongest ritualist of the time - in Factions, it was
    , who was training
    as his successor). They perform this duty as an act of redemption instead of going to their punishment in the afterlife.

I know what the envoys are and what they do. That wasn't my point but perhaps I should've been more clear. I want the game to still show the relationship Canthans have to spirits given that they have such a strong cultural connection to them and history with them. Perhaps their relationship with spirits has changed over the 250+ years. If so, how and why?
  • The relation between the Jade Wind and the Affliction on the one hand and dragon magic / dragon corruption on the other hand.There really isn't a relation between those three. The Jade Wind was caused by a gift of Dwayna's magic, while the Affliction was caused by Shiro using Envoy powers to force souls back into bodies (or something of the like). Both are of divine magic, or close to, and such has no relation to dragon magic.

I can see the devs going in the direction that there is no relationship and I can see them going in the direction that what the Canthans originally thought the Jade Wind was (a consequence of Dwayna's Magic) was actually a consequence of dragon's magic seeping out while it slept. In either case it would be interesting to see npc's or lore pages discussion similarities and differences.

• The history of purification in Cantha after GW1. Starting with purifying Cantha from the affliction and then contuining with purifying it from other races (such as Naga and Tengu), eventually going so far as to (try to) purify the Kurzicks and Luxons from their own cultural heritage.Technically, the Kurzicks and Luxons weren't "purified from their own cultural heritage". What happened was that Usoku launched a military campaign to forcibly drag them closer to being factions of the Canthan Empire. There's been no indication that the Kurzicks and Luxons cease to be unique in culture. This ties more into how over the centuries the two factions became distanced from the Canthan Empire - largely due to their engrossment in their petty war that began in large part thanks to the second emperor, Yian Zho, who first conquered the Luxons then Kurzicks and instigated the conquered Luxons into fighting Kurzicks during that campaign. By GW1's time, while technically vassal factions, they were so distanced from the northern Canthans that the only real relation was the occasional ambassador and tribute.

There's no indication of a loss of culture or title - yet - of the Kurzicks and Luxon people, just that they're not so distanced from the Empire's ruling.

So the vassal states were intergrated more closely into the empire. That still raises the question of the extent to which the Kurzicks and Luxons have maintained their own cultural identity and questions about whether they want independence from the empire and what their relation is towards eachother.

• Possible links between the Wardens and the SylvariThere won't be any. Wardens were humans transformed by the forest spirit Urgoz, by all indication. That would tie them closer to the Spirits of the Wild than to any Elder Dragon.

And again, even if there is no relationship, I still think Sylvari would find them fascinating and wonder about their similarities and differences.

• The battle isles.They sunk when Zhaitan rose.

So you're saying it will be an underwater zone?
  • The tentative suggestion that margonites might have been luxons that sailed away from Cantha before the Jade Sea was turned to jade.It wasn't really a suggestion of the Margonites having been Luxons, actually, but our first indication that Margonites were erased from human history like Abaddon. In Nightfall there are ghosts who come from Ascalon and believe
    (these ghosts show up in PoF too, btw, and the curator though while he is still in denial of Ascalon's fate, he seems to have accepted that Margonites were not, in fact, a myth.

I know, and we know they were a seafaring people, just like the Luxons. I know this one is stretching things a bit, but who knows whether the devs do something with it.

@"Diovid.9506" said:I want the game to still show the relationship Canthans have to spirits given that they have such a strong cultural connection to them and history with them. Perhaps their relationship with spirits has changed over the 250+ years. If so, how and why?

Fair enough.

I can see the devs going in the direction that there is no relationship and I can see them going in the direction that what the Canthans originally thought the Jade Wind was (a consequence of Dwayna's Magic) was actually a consequence of dragon's magic seeping out while it slept. In either case it would be interesting to see npc's or lore pages discussion similarities and differences.Please no. We have enough stuff retconned into being related with the Elder Dragons. They're not the source of all things in GW.

Plus, unlike Tyria, there is pretty much zero Elder Dragon activity in Cantha so far. So it makes it hard to imagine that the humans would mistake magic gifted as coming from their gods when it comes from a source on the planet. Keep in mind that the magic gifted that caused the Jade Wind was an annual event - there would have been plenty of time to study the magic if they so chose, and it was received when praying to Dwayna over and over again, and only at the time of the Harvest Ceremony.

Besides all this, Season 2, Path of Fire, and Season 4 heavily establish that "god magic" is distinctly different than dragon magic, so it would be odd for humans - who have known god magic from other sources - to confuse the two.

And again, even if there is no relationship, I still think Sylvari would find them fascinating and wonder about their similarities and differences.About as much as with druids, I imagine, but there's not really any such fascination with them presented. A lost opportunity, but I can't imagine sylvari caring more about wardens than druids.

So you're saying it will be an underwater zone?If it is brought into the game, it should be an underwater wreck, yes.

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"draxynnic.3719" said:I vaguely recall that there was some obscure hint of some link between the Luxons and Margonites somewhere, but I can't recall where. I have a feeling it was something that predated the release of Nightfall.

There was, however, I too am forgetting the reference

An Empire Divided:"Some historians believe that new discoveries point to a Luxon presence in the Crystal Desert more than a thousand years ago, but just as many believe this to be a misinterpretation of the evidence. "https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/An_Empire_Divided

Given the timestamp and location, it's pretty clearly a reference to Margonites.