What's your favourite episode of Icebrood Saga so far?

voidek.5738

A Whisper in the Ice, first half of Bjora Marshes, simply because I'm a sucker for feels, and that map feels amazing. From the ambient sound, to the low hum of the music, to the dark foreboding feeling, to the occasional whispers and the remote feel; it's got it all for me. The map events don't tick too many boxes for me, but the map more than makes up for that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Yasai.3549" said:Prologue.

Each passing episode just makes me hate the entire direction of this season.Not only are the metas not fun, they aren't rewarding, are extremely time consuming, with tons of really long and dreary achievements.

THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO MAKE PLAYERS KEEP PLAYING.This will drive players so far away, and now the casual PvE playerbase is going to be driven away as well.

An MMO shouldn't aim to keep their players STUCK to their game, a game should aim to ENCOURAGE PLAYERS TO RETURN.I have no doubt in my mind most players who "quit" the game are finding lesser and lesser reason to log back into Gw2 because there just isn't any draw to it, and inversely, there is just so much more annoying aspects that people hate being introduced by the boatload with each episode.

Count me in as another agreeing with this. Most of the stories and maps have been slogs to me. Doing the same boring event 10 times to hit an achievement, really??? The Prologue was interesting and gave me hope.

I do think all the maps have been beautiful.

By far the prologue and Grothmar Valley. Best map and the most fun events. The rest has been terribly disappointing, especially Bjora (if that is how you spell it - I spell it Bjoring).

Running around Grothmar reminded me of pre-searing GW. And I think we all know that pre-searing was the best game of all time. I keep waiting around for something as good to come out. Grothmar is the closest we have come.

The prologue, most definitely, it got me so hyped about this new living story...err, "Saga", i lost count of how may times i went to that map on multiple characters.The events are all very interesting, the achivements a bit grindy, but doable since the way anet designed the map made me go back everyday....The rest of the episodes, i forgot, and i did play them (mostly...kinda).Here is what i remember:Bjoras Marches "voice in the dark" - nice creepy boneskinner forest, lame big snow guy meta, and anets 10 year old writers decided to kill soulkeeper (why not the entire cast of destinys edge 2.0)Bjoras marches 2.0 (name of the episode forgoten)- kill big ice fish (did it 2 times, why punish myself more), explore ruins (why?!?!?), repeatable spirits shrine ...yayEye of the north (name of the episode forgoten)- sure anet, im all for spending currencies of a game im not playing that much upgrading that place, and there was some event about ritlocks son, fighting a reusable asset from sorows embrace dungeonDrizzlewood (name of the episode forgoten)- did the story once and the meta twice, it was the most boring uninteresting meta i have ever done, i literaly played it with my left hand on my face and moving with my mouse and pressing skills on the skill bar with it, no dodging required ever because if i went down i would insta rally from everything dying around, oh and half the time salvaging and selling the humongous amount of uninteresting loot that droppedDrizzlewood the pain continues part 2, "please put me out of my misery rising", i havent played it to be honest, and at this point i dont think im missing anything.ill continue to play the gw2 content that was left forgoten like raids, fractals, wvw, pvpIm expecting to be roasted by this coment, please be gentle felow gw2 players

• 1 month later...

Episode 1 was my favorite, The first half of Borja Marches is just so cold dark and creepy, I loved how it felt.

As for the othersThe Prologue: I liked it, The Story was good, the Map was great and the events are fun.Episode 2: This is were things kind of started to take a turn for me, The map looked great and Drakkar was cool but the story and the shrines I couldn't get into.Visions of the Past: The only part I enjoyed was the fight with Almoora.Episode 3: This is were I got to the point were I was disliking the saga, I was excited for a WvW style map and to see where the story would go but Drizzlewood is probably one of my least favorite Maps. I get it's supposed to be war torn but It's visual clutter everywhere you look. It doesn't help that all the enemy's for the whole saga has Bright glowing auras too. The environment it's self is nice, The central waterfall is beautiful but everywhere else it's just wreckage, explosions, fires and auras. On top of this there's not much room for exploration since the whole map is a very tediously long non-stop Meta. The rewards are nice though.Episode 4: At this point in the story I'm interested but not invested. The Map has all the problems of the first half of drizzlewood. Storming the citadel is cool but by the time I actually get inside I just want the meta to be over already. And I don't know if it's just me but it's so hard to see what's going on in there. The enemies, the building and effects all seem to blend together in the chaos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grothamar for me as well - Had a good mix of interesting story, map, and doable achievements that did not take forever to do. 9/10

Bjora part 1 - Finished story and map in less than an hour (two or three for meta achievement) and felt very underwhelming with little reason to go back to after completing it. 2/10

Bjora part 2 - Slightly better in terms of story, but started the trend of having way too many "do x boring event 20-25 times" achievements to even bother with achievements with the future episodes. 3/10

Vision of the Past - Really fun and repeatable group content with a lot of different styles of achievements. EOTN hub is really convenient and well designed. 9/10

Drizzlewood part 1 - Decent episode with a pretty good story and map design. 6/10

Drizzlewood part 2 - Story was good, but I felt that the two metas should be separate, otherwise they take too long to do for me and I always end up in an empty map. 5/10

As of current date, it's the weakest living story season for me.It started on a fantastic note with Grothmar Valley and just slid off a cliff, quality wise (both gameplay and narrative), with each new release.Past Grothmar, the only blips for me were the light puzzles in Bjora and the Drizzlewood part 1 meta, since it "was" a fast, relaxing and relatively rewarding farm routine.

@Excursion.9752 said:I'm still waiting for the Norn Lore that was hyped along side of all this charr lore during their last not so big public reveal of the saga. So yeah my favorite has not been released yet.

This. I am extremely salty that our Norn saga has been hijacked by uninteresting Charr drama. Yes, I find all of that uninteresting - don't care about Rytlock and Crecia's inability to get through to a son they didn't even raise, don't care about the Charr civil war. In fact, having recently gotten into GW1, I say let the Charr tear themselves to pieces. The other races can fill the gaps when it comes to the Orders/Pact, the end of the Charr is long overdue.

As for my favorite map, I have to agree it was... Grothmar. Yeah, this is coming from the Charr hater. The pre-seraing feeling is great, but it's really the event design and variety that I enjoy the most. I was most excited for Bjora, but also the most disappointed by it.The fact that I hate most things Charr + a deeply Charr-centric map is my favorite one = I hate this Saga overall.

My favorite was Whisper in the Dark. It was dark, moody, introduced us to new concepts, and felt like it had something going on. I would love to return to that mysterious and foreboding mood. I'm not sure how I feel about the second half of Bjora, as it feels very disconnected from the Eastern half. I do enjoy Drakkar, even if it does feel a bit too long of a boss fight. I think that these are better done as difficult rather than time-consuming. I'm very invested in where we left off with the story, but that's mostly because I'm glad that (hopefully) the majority of the Charr in-fighting story is over.

Grothmar has never quite clicked with me. Maybe it's because I'm not terribly nostalgic for that more GW1 aesthetic, that I wasn't really a fan of the Metal Legion, or that I didn't like the random, disconnected adventure-style meta events. While I loved the story, the map itself feels like a lot of time invested for not much reward.

Drizzlewood I'm okay with, but don't love. The story seems to all blur together for those episodes. I was excited to break into some new territory, but there really wasn't much lore here as the focus is taking down Bangar and the fortress. I like that each event leads to the next, so you can fairly easily join and just keep following your same group all the way to the end of the map, but it does feel a bit long and tedious after the umpteenth time, and the achievements just felt like needless bloat, even if they did keep me busy during the Rona.

Visions of the Past was probably my least favorite. I do not like being jettisoned from my character to play another one, and I wasn't a fan that the majority of its content was completely self-contained. I would rather have a new map with an interesting boss that I can explore with some flexibility instead of this instance that I have to repeat over and over again for rewards-on-rails. While I'm all in favor of bringing back Season 1 content, I would prefer that it be put in as regular playable chapters with story around them, instead of this pseudo-fractal without much context. But hey, anything is better than nothing.

• 1 month later...

Kinda like everything up to Champions, which was a letdown for me.Storywise it's fine, I don't have high expectations, the prologue set it up very nicely, and it was kept up with Bjora's first half, after that it sort of went up and down for me but overall nothing too bad. But with Champions things felt way too rushed, I would have liked to see more story regarding the civil war aftermath. And I feel not delving more into the lore of the Norn was a missed opportunity as well. A map or 2 to show a bit more of the Charr Homelands and the Far Shiverpeaks would have been welcome. I don't mind most of the new gameplay content and achievements, except for certain items locked behind ridiculous RNG such as the Charr Cultural Helmet. The do X achievement 10 times stuff doesn't bother me too much, I take my time finishing things anyway.

But Champions, egh. Just lackluster. The 3 DRM's aren't different enough from each other, the mechanics are boring and the whole episode just feels like they rushed it. Played the story once to finish it, have no idea what actually happened as it didn't draw me in as previous releases did. Will replay it eventually just to know what's what when the new episode releases, which I really hope won't be more uninspired DRM's.

Favourite map: DrizzlewoodFavourite story: Prologue: Bound by Blood + Bjora 1

Also kind of want to see an entire map like the Abberant Forest.

My favorite part was when I noticed that everyone at the IBS announcement event is no longer with the company. Notice that we are now getting a proper xpac now. Coincidence? I think not. I like the new direction. Unfortunately the IBS has just been a series of one disappointment after another.I would say I enjoyed the cm 100, but that EoD teaser content, not IBS content. Cameron Rich, you made a good fractal my man!

Prologue/Grothmar Valley for me, too. In fact, I'd say it's my favorite part of ALL the story after the personal story's end. We got a good look at charr culture, some lore, interesting characters introduced, and a wide range of interesting events. There was stuff to grind, but you didn't really NEED to to enjoy it.

The fact that it was followed up by what is likely my LEAST favorite part of all of the Living World story is a disappointment that borders on the cruel.