Arrival of Tengu and construction of the Dominion of Winds

Zola.6197

@Teratus.2859 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:Is there any actual evidence Tengu migrated from Cantha to Kryta? Or is that something myself and others have assumed from Usoku’s purge?

2 Tribes come from Cantha in part due to the Canthan purges so you are correct :)It was Zhaitans rise that originally triggered the Tengu's desire to return to Tyria though.Technically speaking, one tribe! We have not had any GW2 mention of the Sensali tengu, merely the Angchu.

This might mean that the Sensali decided to stand their ground and fight when Usoku launched his campaign against non-humans. But they also were nearly wiped out during the events of Winds of Change, too, and it's hard to say if they recovered their numbers after, or if they stopped their open hostilities instigated by the Ministry of Purity then. They might not have even survived long enough to experience Usoku's campaign.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:Is there any actual evidence Tengu migrated from Cantha to Kryta? Or is that something myself and others have assumed from Usoku’s purge?

2 Tribes come from Cantha in part due to the Canthan purges so you are correct :)It was Zhaitans rise that originally triggered the Tengu's desire to return to Tyria though.Technically speaking, one tribe! We have not had any GW2 mention of the Sensali tengu, merely the Angchu.

This
might
mean that the Sensali decided to stand their ground and fight when Usoku launched his campaign against non-humans. But they also were nearly wiped out during
, too, and it's hard to say if they recovered their numbers after, or if they stopped their open hostilities instigated by the Ministry of Purity then. They might not have even survived long enough to experience Usoku's campaign.

True, looking specifically I cannot find anything in Gw2 about the Sensali so it is quite possible they didn't come to Tyria with the Angchu.I'd like to think they did though since when the Tengu decided to came back to Tyria due to the Great Tsunami they did so together as multiple clans.There is a lot of missing details there though which I cannot find any information on nor know if Anet has filled out this part of the Tengu's history.

We know that the Tengu fought their way through Zhaitans forces to get to Tyria and it's said specifically that the Clans were forced to set their differences aside and work together to achieve this goal.What it doesn't define is which clans.. Given that the Avicara, Quetzal and Caromi Tengu were already native to Tyria and living there it doesn't make that much sense for them to have left Tyria after Zhaitans rise to meet with the other Tengu coming from Cantha and Elona.. they would have had to fight their way through Zhaitans forces to get to their foreign friends and then fight their way back through to get to Tyria.

It kind of paints a picture that the clans that were forced to settle their differences were the Angchu and the Sensali clans which does make a lot of sense considering they have had many conflicts with each other in the past, and that they met with the Krytan Tengu after arriving on Tyria.You would think the non human purges would have been a good motivator as well for the Angchu and Sensali to start working together, specially after the events of Wind's of Change as you mentioned leaving the Sensali in low numbers.But you are right, there is nothing specific enough to confirm that as far as I know.It's equally possible all the clans migrated elsewhere first.. possibly Elona (though Joko might have been a problem) and then travelled together back to Tyria.It's a shame Anet hasn't gone into more detail on this race's backstory for Gw2.. there is a lot there that could use some filling out.

One other thing of note on the wiki is this."In 1127 AE, Emperor Kisu's successor, Usoku, finished what the Ministry had started and annexed the vassal states of Kurzick and Luxon back into the empire with the Ministry's help, before beginning a campaign to drive out non-humans such as tengu and dredge.[12] Against the might of the Canthan military, the tengu had no choice but to flee north, to Elona and Tyria"

92 years prior to the Great Tsunami the Tengu were apparently driven out of Cantha whether entirely or not isn't specified but I guess it means the Tengu that settled in Elona are all of Canthan decent.There were to my knowledge no native Tengu in Elona back in Gw1 so it could be the Elonian clans that joined the Canthan clans when they fought their way through Zhaitans forces.. and setting their differences aside could imply that it's possible some or all of these Elonian Tengu are descendants of the Sensali.. which would explain those differences.. Tengu do have a strong passion for History so I doubt the conflicts of the past are easily forgotten with them.

@"Teratus.2859" said:We know that the Tengu fought their way through Zhaitans forces to get to Tyria and it's said specifically that the Clans were forced to set their differences aside and work together to achieve this goal.What it doesn't define is which clans.. Given that the Avicara, Quetzal and Caromi Tengu were already native to Tyria and living there it doesn't make that much sense for them to have left Tyria after Zhaitans rise to meet with the other Tengu coming from Cantha and Elona.. they would have had to fight their way through Zhaitans forces to get to their foreign friends and then fight their way back through to get to Tyria.

It kind of paints a picture that the clans that were forced to settle their differences were the Angchu and the Sensali clans which does make a lot of sense considering they have had many conflicts with each other in the past, and that they met with the Krytan Tengu after arriving on Tyria.

The same dialogue talks about tengu clans across the globe, even in Elona which we never heard about in GW1. This all indicates there's more than the mere 5 clans we knew in GW1, thus more than just the Angchu and Sensali for non-Tyrian clans.

One other thing of note on the wiki is this."In 1127 AE, Emperor Kisu's successor, Usoku, finished what the Ministry had started and annexed the vassal states of Kurzick and Luxon back into the empire with the Ministry's help, before beginning a campaign to drive out non-humans such as tengu and dredge.[12] Against the might of the Canthan military, the tengu had no choice but to flee north, to Elona and Tyria"

92 years prior to the Great Tsunami the Tengu were apparently driven out of Cantha whether entirely or not isn't specified but I guess it means the Tengu that settled in Elona are all of Canthan decent.There were to my knowledge no native Tengu in Elona back in Gw1 so it could be the Elonian clans that joined the Canthan clans when they fought their way through Zhaitans forces.. and setting their differences aside could imply that it's possible some or all of these Elonian Tengu are descendants of the Sensali.. which would explain those differences.. Tengu do have a strong passion for History so I doubt the conflicts of the past are easily forgotten with them.

It should be noted that line on the wiki isn't entirely accurate. 1127 AE marks when Usoku began his military campaign against the Luxons and Kurzicks to unite them into the empire more fully than the distanced vassals they were in GW1. Based on the fractal, this campaign began against the Kurzicks and was still in full swing during 1128 AE - unsurprisingly. It is very unlikely that the military campaign was finished in very short order, and it was after assimilating the Kurzicks and Luxons that Usoku went after the non-humans, according to the Movement of the World.

We do not have a proper date for when the campaign against non-humans actually began.

I'm also not sure where the wiki gets the "flee to Elona" bit. That line references Sangdo Swiftwing but that article never mentions Elona. Doesn't even mention leaving Cantha, so I think the editor Kossage linked the wrong reference.

As to "no native Tengu in Elona back in Gw1", while such never made it into the game, there were concept art by Doug Williams and plans for a tengu clan that had a heavy use of dark brown and black feathers, to them for Nightfall. And it isn't like we explored all of Elona... in either game.