sunqua final boss unnecessarily hard on T1 and T2?

Cyriades.6198

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:You're naive to think random players are going to spend
hours
wiping. They're the first to give up and post an angry thread about it on reddit or social media.

If they’re spending hours on this fractal then it’s a player skill issue.

Yeah you might get it now. Players have different skill levels. So someone like you who raids strikes are easy. Someone who does t4 fractals t2 is easy but for a lot of these players stuck on Sunqua or sirens reef or w/e need to adjust and improve. Noone is saying they shouldn't but t2 Sunqua really exposes them and makes it impossible to carry. At least Sirens reef I can kill all the adds and as long as they don't get swept off the boat we good.I think they should tone down t1/t2 Sunqua for them. That's all. I don't for the life of me understand why players who aren't doing t1/'t2 have a problem with it

Content shouldn’t be toned down to the lowest skill level nor to the point that you can clear it the first time without any thought at all. The current scaling for T1 is fine.

Maybe. Of course I play t1/t2 w pugs and you don't but seem to think you can judge it as fine w/o ever playing it. I am at you repetitive reply stage you always get too so Ima end and just agree to disagree.

It fine that we can agree to disagree.

Just an FYI that I had been ignoring the ad hominem parts of your posts as they had no bearing on the argument.

I'm not even going to look up what ad hominem means but ty

It means you’re directing your counter-argument against me rather than the argument I was making. Whether I have done the T1 fractal 100+ times or not at all has no bearing on the argument.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

hours
wiping. They're the first to give up and post an angry thread about it on reddit or social media.

Yeah you might get it now. Players have different skill levels. So someone like you who raids strikes are easy. Someone who does t4 fractals t2 is easy but for a lot of these players stuck on Sunqua or sirens reef or w/e need to adjust and improve. Noone is saying they shouldn't but t2 Sunqua really exposes them and makes it impossible to carry. At least Sirens reef I can kill all the adds and as long as they don't get swept off the boat we good.I think they should tone down t1/t2 Sunqua for them. That's all. I don't for the life of me understand why players who aren't doing t1/'t2 have a problem with it

Content shouldn’t be toned down to the lowest skill level nor to the point that you can clear it the first time without any thought at all. The current scaling for T1 is fine.

Maybe. Of course I play t1/t2 w pugs and you don't but seem to think you can judge it as fine w/o ever playing it. I am at you repetitive reply stage you always get too so Ima end and just agree to disagree.

Just an FYI that I had been ignoring the ad hominem parts of your posts as they had no bearing on the argument.

It means you’re directing your counter-argument against me rather than the argument I was making. Whether I have done the T1 fractal 100+ times or not at all has no bearing on the argument.

But it does. How can you say the fractal is fine w/o doing it on those tiers. And not with 160 AR and 3 infinite pots and knowing you you a fractal god guy. Maybe the few times it's been a struggle I just had a bad group set up or a few bad players who knows. I'll find out this week as these boxes are fast and easy loot. Already got over 50.

@Jilora.9524 said:

hours

But it does. How can you say the fractal is fine w/o doing it on those tiers. And not with 160 AR and 3 infinite pots and knowing you you a fractal god guy. Maybe the few times it's been a struggle I just had a bad group set up or a few bad players who knows. I'll find out this week as these boxes are fast and easy loot. Already got over 50.

And if I told you that I have done that the T1 twice without issues, would that change the argument? No.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

hours

And if I told you that I have done that the T1 twice without issues, would that change the argument? No.

I'd have more questions. Need more info. I hinted at a bit above. We at different skill levels and fractal exp I bet too. So it could change the argument but we agreed to disagree so lets stick to that cause we both stubborn and will go forever

I would say it is harder then it should be. But that's only because you get a lot of poor players in t1/t2. I mean I can carry alot in t1/t2 vs almost every other boss in fractals except this one so if you get 3 or 4 not so good players which happens alot it can take a few trys. Now ari raids and I bet hasn't even looked in t1/t2 in like forever but it's the same opinion everytime. Everything is fine. It's not the game it's you. Don't listen to him. They could tone it down a bit in t1/t2 and noone would complain

In my opinion I agree to that

Hp of that boss culd be reduced by 33% on t1, and by 20% t2

As players ther not always have right build/gear, and are new players

And power builds have bit problem when boss moving around

T1/T2 hard, are you kidding?even the CM is really easy, when you start to know the mechanics, it's always the same movements to do during the whole fight

We talk about T1/T2 wher ppl not searching for alac/qfb/bs/2condi dpsbut joins as 4"dps" 1 healer

Ofc it's ESSSSSSS from your point of view (and my too)

I feel it does a good job of challenging players to improve before they jump into T3/T4s. We need more challenging content on the lower end of things for people to prepare better for harder content instead of it being an immediate jump. Since the only barrier of entry to harder content in fractals is AR, which can be bought, it stands to reason the content should have a more linear progression of difficulty.

I don't know about T2. I'm not that far into fractals.

But I've done it many times now on T1 and when it goes badly it's always the same things.

• people don't stand behind the rocks. I knew what to do with them the moment I saw them as this mechanic was ripped from modern FFXIV where it's in a leveling dungeon for the current expansion among other places (but that leveling expansion means I've seen it already a few hundred times).
  • People don't get the crystals to jump in the air - or they all run for the same ones and ignore the others and even as this happens no one changes direction, but instead try to out-pace each other. It seems a simple solution is in order: call it pre-pull. get the one CW or CCW of you - call that, and everyone knows what to do.
  • people let stacks of the dark orb get too high because they glory hog taking them beam to be 'the one who saves us all'...
  • people don't rez downed teammates. I have found that this fight is such that, if your DPS isn't that high - you should actually rez 'greyed out' people and get them back in. The incoming damage is often pretty low at many points and if someone has the boss occupied... rez the dead people. Unless you've got high DPS and can power through it, you want them back up for when the gimmick mechanics hit - just in case someone fails one, you need all hands around to bring downed people back up.
  • I have seen one run where it glitched. Out of I think 5 or 6 runs now. The crystals you need to get to jump in the air - we did that... and then it never transitioned to the next phase. We used /gg to wipe, and it glitched again. We did it again, it glitched again... we gave one last attempt, and it glitched again... so we gave up and left. This glitch is rare, but if it does happen you run just ended... I believe something we did in the first attempt triggered it... but unless I see that glitch again I won't have a point of comparison.

This has become my favorite fractal. It has some basic mechanics you can learn after a little bit of time, that you mostly don't just zerg through with berserk gear and stacking like everything else in pre-raid GW2...

• Which fractal is it again where you need to push lightning orbs to towers? That's the only other one I've seen with "something non-zerg fest" going on... So my second favorite even though I have less success at it (people always try to push all 4 orbs at the same tower... often one person runs around trying to take other people's orbs that were going to the right tower, and move them to a wrong tower).

But having come from a mechanics heavy MMO like FFXIV, this is the kind of content I like - where each fight requires learning a strat. And the fact that the 'hardest fractal in GW2' takes it's mechanic from a 'leveling dungeon' of FFXIV... that speaks volumes about where player skill is at with regards to mechanics here...

ps: I've been doing this is almost all exotic gear - with only ascended accessory and rings. Just barely enough agony-infusion to qualify. One a condition tempest and a power mirage... So not great gear. It's not about gear - it's just about mechanics. The boss's health is fine where it is.

I am just coming back to the game after being away for 2 years.

Did this at T1 when it was the Rec.

This fight was HARD. We wiped like 6 times. Me and my team really got to understanding the fight over the course of the runs. Understanding what to do and not do.

Honestly, I thought it was very instructive. I would say keep it as-is for Tier 2. Tier 1 could maybe be tweaked a little. Lop 20% off her HP maybe?

@Tasardur.1837 said:The boss should be reasonably similar in difficulty to bosses in Shattered Observatory. It can be bit more difficult, but the gap is too large. T1/T2 Peaks = T3/T4 many other fractals in terms of difficulty.

I just don't see it. I wasn't even healing Sunquah t2 or even on an optimized fractal build. In fact, the 4 other players are pretty inexperienced to the whole thing and we got through it just fine with minimal explanations of what goes on.

Only did T1 Sunqua like 4-5 times as a harrier Druid. Did not even try T4.Without exception, ended up finishing the run in 2 players, rest being dead. One run, I was the only one alive.Another run we actually started as 2 players party and finished without problems. Might be the scaling? Or just the final boss not bugging? Who knows.Cannot recall this happening on any other T1 fractal in the past.This fractal reminds me of...me when I started learning programming: write code, compile, run=error, leave the room for days. Repeat until mostly error free or just gave up.Come to think of it, most programming today seems to be like that.The difference is: I never asked money or get payed for my code.

• 1 month later...

I avoided group content all the time. (Cause I feared people might be toxic if you arent't a pro with high dps.) Fractal Rush got me to start with fractals though. And I'm not somewhere in T2.

For T1 I noticed that some fractals are longer and harder. Others are easier. The nightmare (which - if I saw correctly - had been the last one and considered hard) seems pretty easy and fast compared to 24 and 25.

For Sunqua Peak I had the most trouble where 1-24 was pretty easy. Maybe it was because the fractal was new. Or because the boss has less forgiving mechanics. Then again: in T1 you also have to deal with people with 0 AR trying to join the party. Can be a pain.

What I have noticed: It got better with the next tries. But it depends stronly on the group. Good CC seems to make it like a walk in the park. Unfortunately the people in T1 don't know (yet) about the CC. (And a lot might not have even watched fits about the fractal and mechanics.) It is only that in earlier fractals it is more forgiving.

Here the bosses have a wider variety of attacks and can cover more of the area ... either you are a lot better at doding/evading ... or you break the CC bar more often. If not ... then you slowly get trained to to some. Might be helpful for the stuff you do after 25. (I try to play each fractal from 1-100 once in this order. Not jumping to the later ones just because they are on daily.)

Also people need to learn to rez. (When to ... and when not.) I find it fun. Actually in 24, 25 the path to the final boss is boring. (24 a bit more and longer.) Final bosses are fun. (25 the most fun.)

In 23 the whole fractal felt pretty short and therefore more fun in general. (Less boring stuff. because it was shorter)

Agony excluded, right now for inexperienced players doing T1 Fractals, fighting the last boss of Sunqua Peak is kind of like fighting a strong T4 boss (obviously a really frustrating experience). I’m confident ArenaNet can see or at least guess the problem by watching at their metrics.

The difficulty at low tiers needs to be reduced a lot to make it more in line with other low tier Fractals.

@Black Storm.6974 said:Agony excluded, right now for inexperienced players doing T1 Fractals, fighting the last boss of Sunqua Peak is kind of like fighting a strong T4 boss (obviously a really frustrating experience). I’m confident ArenaNet can see or at least guess the problem by watching at their metrics.

The difficulty at low tiers needs to be reduced a lot to make it more in line with other low tier Fractals.

Why? The cc requirement is a lot less than t4, everything does much less damage, and you don't get downed when failing a mechanic, you just get a bit of damage, the boss has a lot less hp, the blue tether gives you stacks so slowly the mechanic becomes irrelevant. I don't think the boss should get any more easy than this otherwise people will not even realize when they make mistakes. And its important that people realize when they fail a mechanic, in fact I think the blue tether should get buffed in t1 in a way that the stacks are applied a lot quicker but the damage you get for failing it should be minor while noticeable. It's by design a mechanic heavy boss and t1 is there to learn it. So if you want people to learn the mechanics of the boss they have to be punishing enough to make them noticeable. Because if they are not people fail to learn. Another point is that Sunqua is the last frac before entering a higher tier so you can view it as a trial for the higher tier. The only criticism I have is that there is no ingame guide. There are mini bosses that should teach you the storm phase, the meteor phase and the blue tether, but the blue tether will go unnoticed. In my opinion there should be a book before the boss that explains mechanics again. To not break the immersion it could be implemented as combat notes from prior adventures or something like that. Implementing breakbar tutorial in the fractal lobby would be helpful as well.

@Sniper.5961 said:

@Black Storm.6974 said:Agony excluded, right now for inexperienced players doing T1 Fractals, fighting the last boss of Sunqua Peak is kind of like fighting a strong T4 boss (obviously a really frustrating experience). I’m confident ArenaNet can see or at least guess the problem by watching at their metrics.

Why? The cc requirement is a lot less than t4, everything does much less damage, and you don't get downed when failing a mechanic, you just get a bit of damage, the boss has a lot less hp, the blue tether gives you stacks so slowly the mechanic becomes irrelevant. I don't think the boss should get any more easy than this otherwise people will not even realize when they make mistakes. And its important that people realize when they fail a mechanic, in fact I think the blue tether should get buffed in t1 in a way that the stacks are applied a lot quicker but the damage you get for failing it should be minor while noticeable. It's by design a mechanic heavy boss and t1 is there to learn it. So if you want people to learn the mechanics of the boss they have to be punishing enough to make them noticeable. Because if they are not people fail to learn. Another point is that Sunqua is the last frac before entering a higher tier so you can view it as a trial for the higher tier. The only criticism I have is that there is no ingame guide. There are mini bosses that should teach you the storm phase, the meteor phase and the blue tether, but the blue tether will go unnoticed. In my opinion there should be a book before the boss that explains mechanics again. To not break the immersion it could be implemented as combat notes from prior adventures or something like that. Implementing breakbar tutorial in the fractal lobby would be helpful as well.

You have to consider that inexperienced players don’t generally look for well organised party compositions and often they play with other inexperienced players. The damage they can take in Sunqua Peak is far higher than what they take in any other Fractal.

If someone don’t have any problem completing Sunqua Peak T1 (in a group of similarly experienced players), then could easily go straight to try most T3 Fractals (AR requirement excluded).Could be nice having to care about what happens in a fight, but almost no other Fractal forces players to do that, especially not in T1.Also, Most players doing T1 Fractal could be inexperienced players which have yet to learn the basics of the combat system (which the game totally fail at teaching), and that often feel overwhelmed by all the things they have to learn and pay attention to.

Imagine a group of inexperienced players that try Sunqua Peak T1, suffering for hours at the last boss (something common), failing or barely completing it. Most of them would barely learn anything, also they could not want to try it ever again.

We are talking about the lowest Fractal tier and Fractal is the main instanced repeatable content still supported by ArenaNet and available to any player since level 80. I see no reason to give such an unpleasant experience to new players. Sure, they could just avoid that Fractal and many of them will do that.

@Black Storm.6974 said:

You have to consider that inexperienced players don’t generally look for well organised party compositions and often they play with other inexperienced players. The damage they can take in Sunqua Peak is far higher than what they take in any other Fractal.

If someone don’t have any problem completing Sunqua Peak T1 (in a group of similarly experienced players), then could easily go straight to try most T3 Fractals (AR requirement excluded).Could be nice having to care about what happens in a fight, but almost no other Fractal forces players to do that, especially not in T1.Also, Most players doing T1 Fractal could be inexperienced players which have yet to learn the basics of the combat system (which the game totally fail at teaching), and that often feel overwhelmed by all the things they have to learn and pay attention to.

Imagine a group of inexperienced players that try Sunqua Peak T1, suffering for hours at the last boss (something common), failing or barely completing it. Most of them would barely learn anything, also they could not want to try it ever again.

We are talking about the lowest Fractal tier and Fractal is the main instanced repeatable content still supported by ArenaNet and available to any player since level 80. I see no reason to give such an unpleasant experience to new players. Sure, they could just avoid that Fractal and many of them will do that.

You absolutely do not need a propper group composition for that frac on t1, i took that into consideration. The damage is still minimal, you dont even need a dedicated healer in CMs for it. What do you think should be done about the frac? I think its fine as it is, it has to train people for the higher tiers afterall, the general problem is, as you already wrote, that the game does not teach players about combat mechanics (Breakbar including exposed debuff, keybinds, boons, conditions and how to remove them, stunbreaker, soft and hard cc, combos, prestacking, skipping, /gg, kiting, pre and aftercasts, special action key, not to mention all the weird defaults that you have to reconfigure) , builds (gear and its aquisation, role, rotations, traits and utilities, buffood, frac potions and ar to precision conversion, attuning und infusing rings,"unique" gear), groupcompositions (What makes sense and why and where), standart bossmechanics and knowledge of tools to monitor your own and your groups performance (like arc dps and its logs). If that would be the case we would not have this thread, the skillgap between average and decent players would be not that high and content could be balanced a lot better as a result. Its a know how problem that got failed to be addressed for a long time.

@"Black Storm.6974" said:

If someone don’t have any problem completing Sunqua Peak T1 (in a group of similarly experienced players), then could easily go straight to try most T3 Fractals (AR requirement excluded).No. The damage in t3 is a lot higher. stuff will down you. deepstone endboss in t3 is a nightmare with t3 pugs.Could be nice having to care about what happens in a fight, but almost no other Fractal forces players to do that, especially not in T1.The only mechanic that boss has in t1 is "dont stay in aoe".Also, Most players doing T1 Fractal could be inexperienced players which have yet to learn the basics of the combat system (which the game totally fail at teaching), and that often feel overwhelmed by all the things they have to learn and pay attention to.It is the last level of t1 in a lvl 80 dungeon. All the basics they have to know are that they can move during attacks and that aoe fields are bad.

Imagine a group of inexperienced players that try Sunqua Peak T1, suffering for hours at the last boss (something common), failing or barely completing it. Most of them would barely learn anything, also they could not want to try it ever again.Maybe they could start working on their build instead of running core ranger MM necro or hammer herald. I've encountered such players even in t3 or t4. Wiping for hours on last boss is definitely not common.

It is braindead easy in t1. Every dungeon in ff has deadlier mechanics and they are casual content there. I helped in t1 a few times now and there is just no pressure at all. most open world bosses are deadlier.

@Sniper.5961 said:

Why? The cc requirement is a lot less than t4You should not be comparing with t4. You should be comparing with other fractals
within the same tier
. And this fractal on t1/t2 definitely feels as if it should belong at least a tier higher (and wouldn't even be counted among the easier of the fractals in that next tier).

It's not the first time it happened, by the way (with the most dramatic case happening with Shattered observatory, when originally, before it got fixed, T1 was around middle-t3 tier and was massively harder than other t1 fractals). Nowadays, when making new fractals, Anet makes the t4/CM first, and then tries to scale it down for lower tiers. This is exactly opposite to how the original fractals were made, and usually results in new fractals being way overscaled in lower tiers initially (until Anet eventually goes around to fixing it).

@Nephalem.8921 said:It is braindead easy in t1. Every dungeon in ff has deadlier mechanics and they are casual content there. I helped in t1 a few times now and there is just no pressure at all.And? It's not about how easy it is. It's about how easy it is compared to other t1/t2s.

most open world bosses are deadlier.Most world bosses can be afked through, so i strongly doubt this.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Why? The cc requirement is a lot less than t4You should not be comparing with t4. You should be comparing with other fractals
within the same tier
. And this fractal on t1/t2 definitely feels as if it should belong at least a tier higher (and wouldn't even be counted among the easier of the fractals in that next tier).

It's not the first time it happened, by the way (with the most dramatic case happening with Shattered observatory, when originally, before it got fixed, T1 was around middle-t3 tier and was massively harder than other t1 fractals). Nowadays, when making new fractals, Anet makes the t4/CM first, and then tries to scale it down for lower tiers. This is exactly opposite to how the original fractals were made, and usually results in new fractals being way overscaled in lower tiers initially (until Anet eventually goes around to fixing it).

I was comparing it to t4 because the guy I quoted wrote that t1 sunqua endboss is like fighting a strong t4 boss even though that's not the case. So I quoted his comment and was referring to it. After I wrote that I also explained why it makes sense for the fractal to be the way it is. People have to learn the mechanics in t1 and need to get enough damage to make failing a mechanic noticeable. Maybe even with stability unavoidable cc instead of damage would work out, too. You could then replace the cc with damage in higher tiers. Doing so maybe even be a decent middle ground. New people would learn the mechanics and not fail the boss over and over again. It would create a false image of the boss fight though.