Game sometimes won't launch properly. Prevents me from interacting with Windows

Sometimes when I launch the game, it won't completely open properly. The in-game sounds will be playing but I'll still be on the desktop. However I can't interact with anything on the screen with my mouse. Pressing Alt-F4 does nothing. I am able to open the task manager with the keyboard but unable to select anything on it with the mouse. However I can select basically anything in Windows with the keyboard. As if they mouse has become locked to in-game. I am unable to force quit the game however in the task manager even with the keyboard. The only thing I can do is ctrl+alt+del, tab to the power button and reset. Basically my entire computer becomes inoperable until I reboot it. I've never had this issue in the past.

If you have access to the task manager, you should be able to use the keyboard to select the "more details" option. Now scroll all applications and services to check what app or service is causing the issue (most likely the one getting near100% CPU-usage). It could be the GW2-application, but it should also show any overlay you overlooked that is causing issues, or e.g. a third party service. This could help in pinpointing the issue, but also into killing the right process.

Do not forget to reboot the pc once you have control again if you do not know what process or app you killed, for all you know it could be the AV-solution you have making you vulnerable

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:If you have access to the task manager, you should be able to use the keyboard to select the "more details" option. Now scroll all applications and services to check what app or service is causing the issue (most likely the one getting near100% CPU-usage). It could be the GW2-application, but it should also show any overlay you overlooked that is causing issues, or e.g. a third party service. This could help in pinpointing the issue, but also into killing the right process.

Do not forget to reboot the pc once you have control again if you do not know what process or app you killed, for all you know it could be the AV-solution you have making you vulnerable

Unfortunately I cannot kill the process since pressing enter in the task manager. Yet I can select everything else by the arrow keys and tab key. And since I cannot use the mouse... well, rip. I can only ctrl alt delete and then press the power symbol in the lower right hand corner. It's the only way to regain control. I could try a different AV software and see if it stops. It seems to be very random though. And I don't think the Bitdefender Free has an overlay. Maybe I'm mistaken. Idk.

@"circuitnerd.5863" said:Sometimes when I launch the game, it won't completely open properly. The in-game sounds will be playing but I'll still be on the desktop. However I can't interact with anything on the screen with my mouse. Pressing Alt-F4 does nothing. I am able to open the task manager with the keyboard but unable to select anything on it with the mouse. However I can select basically anything in Windows with the keyboard. As if they mouse has become locked to in-game. I am unable to force quit the game however in the task manager even with the keyboard. The only thing I can do is ctrl+alt+del, tab to the power button and reset. Basically my entire computer becomes inoperable until I reboot it. I've never had this issue in the past.

Hi,

I have the same issue running the game in native dx9. You can try running in Windows Fullscreen to solve the issue.On a side note. Have you tried running GW2 in DX12 using the D912pxy ?

You won't have this issue whilst using the D912pxy and you should have a better experience/ performance as well :)

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/110553/want-to-use-directx-12-dx12-for-gw2-heres-a-guide-on-using-the-d912pxy-on-windows-10#latest

• 4 months later...

Hello!I'm on Windows 10 and, since a week, randomly, when logging out to desktop (while beeing in full screen) the clients hangs and I can't terminate the process trough task manager, the game keep staying in full screen and I can't use the machine. The only thing I can do is to restart the pc from the start menu. When I relaunch the client it asks for a repair.