Frozen Out still a buggy, frustrating mess...

Omega.6801

Hi,got dc'd fom the ls3 story instance for the fifth time today after the tedious boss fight right before the cinematic should have started. So back to square one it is...again... 5 times, and that's only with one char I'm trying to get this done. Had similar issues with other chars in the same instance. It's always the same, the boss goes down, I check on Rox, triggering the dialogue, then the cutscene should start and I get kicked out of the instance without getting credited the progress forcing me to start over again.

The horrid mobs that one shot everything, again. The AoE knockdown spam, again. Pulling around the immortal mobs and hope that the paperthin hitbox of them gets hit by the equally paperthin hitbox of the last boss when he charges so they die, again. Listening to Brahms teenage angst, again. Sitting through hastily written dialogue, again.

Fix this or at least save my progress so I don't have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Yes I sent a ticket. Yes I posted this before. Yes many others did so as well. Yes I know there's a bugs section on the forums, but I doubt anyone bothers to read it.

Edited for typos and to sound like a reasonable human being after the anger passed...

• Confused 1

When it happened to me half a year ago, I contacted the support, because I couldn't be arsed to do this again. I already did it a couple of times for achievements and other characters. The response was basically "it's your computer or your connectivity" and I was asked to install one of their tools (Game Advisor) to create a report about my system and my network. The first part of the email was written, the rest copied & pasted.

Since there are several posts here and on reddit about disconnections from stories at their end (not only for Frozen Out), and it happened to me in other parts before, I didn't bother pursuing this any further. It's the player's fault, right?

@"Faaris.8013" said:When it happened to me half a year ago, I contacted the support, because I couldn't be kitten to do this again. I already did it a couple of times for achievements and other characters. The response was basically "it's your computer or your connectivity" and I was asked to install one of their tools (Game Advisor) to create a report about my system and my network. The first part of the email was written, the rest copied & pasted.

Since there are several posts here and on reddit about disconnections from stories at their end (not only for Frozen Out), and it happened to me in other parts before, I didn't bother pursuing this any further. It's the player's fault, right?

It was a bug introduced sometime after "A Crack in the Ice". It doesn't affect all people but for those that are affected the common thing seems to be a cutscene. You can try your luck at alt+tabbing out before the cutscene starts. That worked for some people.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The workarounds that have been successful for some players are:Using a VPNUsing a skill or moving your character during cutscenesMinimizing cutscenesUtilizing some/all of the connectivity issue trouble-shooting tips (changing the port/DNS, etc.) found in the Knowledge Base (accessed via the 'Support' link above/below

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Get rid of the cutscenes! Make it possible in the options menu to turn them off! I cannot believe that a 6 years old game still struggles with these issues with essentially all type of characters at least at one point of almost every story line. How come the connection is to blame when it is ok for months while some gets to the specific story.Every time I get dc'd after an intense fight in the story I do search for solutions I always end up in conversations like this where either the connection or the PC is to blame.Funny that hundreds of players from around the world have the same issue with either their modem/router/ISP or PC.I cannot believe that!This is my third PC build and the third ISP since I play this game with essentially the same issues.

And yet thousands do not have the issue. If it was easy to pin down where the issue is coming from, the Devs would be far more able to fix it, but, so far, they've not been able to determine why it affects a select portion of the playerbase.

For more information/Dev statements/possible work-arounds, check the 'official' thread.

Good luck.

• 7 months later...

Funny that this issue is considered to be a player side issue, that is caused by who knows what (apparently arena net cannot fix their own code ), 17 times i have done this fight on one character, on multiple manufacturers pcs and laptops at different locations around the country using different isp's surely at least one would work, and whilst above you mention hundreds have the issue or thousands do not , how do you know these figures, most people will not even bother posting this on the net in the first place.Ultimately Arenanet sold me a product to play a game, therefore it should work, most pcs run on almost the same hardware, the internet runs on much the same everywhere, stop blaming client side and fix the code , yes i understand its not easy and yes i understand someone needs to figure out why it does it, but god damn you have had 6 years to fix it, does the game create a client crash text for you to even check what went wrong and if so do you bother to read it.One unhappy customer, maybe ill just spend my money elsewhere in future.

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to me today. Did the mission three times in a row. DC each time after clicking Rox. Sent in game bug report. This mission is not fun enough to have to repeat over and over. Especially considering there is no loot from LS instance mobs.

I tried alt tabbing and waiting a few minutes; after returning to the game there was no reward box or exit button. I was able to read the last thing Braham said and it was "Back to Hoelbrek, let's go Garn" before I was kicked to character select.

Pretty lame.

• 11 months later...

Did this quest today and got disconnected after the boss battle while the characters were talking. I restarted my computer, switched to fullscreen mode, and after the bossbattle, ran all the way to the tunnel exit and kept spamming 1 (someone above mentioned this, so I thought I'd give it a shot). I kept spamming 1 throughout the cutscene until the quest completed! Hoorah~I don't know which of these steps actually helped solve the bug. In the past, switching to fullscreen mode has helped with disconnects during instanced quests, so I'd start with that first. I have 500Mpbs download and 20 Mbps upload, so I'd like to think my internet connection is not the problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

still getting dc'd in 2021 but i found some solutions!

edit: I was about to submit a ticket listing my problem of getting kicked after 3 attempts, finished fighting the boss, got to the dialogue and was kicked before the instance was over had been my experience. My internet is fine, not an issue. I recorded my 3rd run through for evidence to submit along with the DxDiag text file. I googled a little more and found this old reddit posting

it actually worked! Running to the start of the instance (after the fight is over and towards the waypoint) and constantly moving around, using skill abilities & movement skills i got the cutscene to pop and was able to finish this instance.  There is something majorly wrong with this story step. I'm not the only one to experience these problems and its been happening for quite a while. I wonder what is causing this to happen. I'm not the best coder or really know much about computers but I am curious as to what could be a fix for this. This doesn't appear to be a hiccup that sometimes happens to players and they have to redo the instance once. This is a repeatable problem.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...