LAG LAG LAG - Anet please stop ignoring the community on this! - [Merged]

I spent the entirety of this week debating buying $100 in gems to buy my missing living story's, some mount skins, and quality of life boosts. But ultimately I decided to just quit the game for now because any time I try to continue with my current living story, it's a lagfest nightmare. I've had to just log off several times this week, even when I very much wanted to be playing, because the lag makes it impossible to do anything or enjoy it even a little. This is a HUGE shame because the game has so much potential and I love it, I've played since Guild Wars 1 when I was a kid. The Steam launch is going to be a disaster if they don't get this figured out, and I'm extremely sad to see it's current state.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, i bought the game 1 month ago, i m from brazil and here we got 160ms or 90ms in other regions, but 2 days ago the lag incressed too much, cant finish my personal story yet because this lag, now the average ms is 250++++ i hope the arenanet do something because i really enjoeyd the gamebest regards to all !

This is the sort of thing that makes people think your game is dead and leave. All these disconnects, lag spikes, it's obvious you're experiencing some form of packet loss. You know you are. You need to acknowledge it publicly. It's severe at this point and preventing people from playing the game.

I began noticing this upon the switch to Amazon servers, my ping went from 50 ms to 80 ms average and sometimes climbs as high as 100 ms. No big deal I said and for the most part, it wasn't much of a deal.As of late 2019, things began to take a turn for the worse. Sudden stops in PVP where my ping would spike to 1000 ms and then would be fine again for the rest of the day.Then 2020 came and boy, how much, much worse things got. Now there is constant issues with input lag, many stop and go situations and at worst, disconnects.Throughout 2020, things have gotten worse with each passing month. But there is days when I'd have nearly no issues at all, then days when I am basically unable to contribute in PVP 'cause I'm lagged out, walking into a wall.

I hope someone at ANET is reading these threads 'cause as soon as Nov hits and Steam players start to flood the gates, I suspect these issues with only get worse.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Ramooh.3286 said:Game is too laggy to play. I ask in /map and multiple other people say they are lagging too. I'm in the first zone of Path of Fire (NA) if people are curious.

I just bought the expansions and I'm regretting my decision. If you are new (or returning like me) think twice before giving them your money.

It's coming to steam soon too, and valve will probably have to offer refunds from the massive backlash if they do not fix their servers by then.

This is what I imagine will happen. And it will give the game (and company) a bad name to a lot of people.

I can only see the game getting massively review bombed on Steam if it launches there in this state. Plus, people there aren't going to like the heavy imlementation of the gem store or loot boxes.

The situation hasn't improved one iota since my last post, no-one's provided a link to any statement by ANet saying how they're going about fixing this. And it's still blatantly obvious to anyone playing that maps for PoF, season 4 and season 5 just fall over as soon as the player level gets to that required to do any sort of meta or other high profile event successfully.

As said before, ANet need to either pony up for more compute power with Amazon, or lower max player caps on map instances and get rid of the map closing mechanic and its associated nags. A speed boost just isn't enough incentive for me to move to a map where I'm likely to have a much worse experience playing (that doesn't affect my character anyway).

Of course, they could also go back to running their own servers. I'm sure some financial bod sees AWS as being nothing but good, but for the players, it's been nothing but terrible.

@Mungrul.9358 said:I can only see the game getting massively review bombed on Steam if it launches there in this state. Plus, people there aren't going to like the heavy implementation of the gem store or loot boxes.

Remember that you can link you-tube videos in steam reviews. Record it and Show them the complete sorry state of EU server desync on Path of Fire maps

@LordMorgul.9845 said:i tink is multiservers fails go back to single server and close the less populated

Not at all. Game have been using megaservers for years before this began.Megaservers are one of the best things about this game.It makes the game feel much more alive than even the most popular MMO's that are running on many servers.

@Thereon.3495 said:I want the best for GW2, I adore this game and want to see it do well. This issue really needs addressing prior to the Steam release otherwise a lot of players are going to be driven away by it.This.

@athelen.7418 said:I spent the entirety of this week debating buying $100 in gems to buy my missing living story's, some mount skins, and quality of life boosts. But ultimately I decided to just quit the game for now because any time I try to continue with my current living story, it's a lagfest nightmare. I've had to just log off several times this week, even when I very much wanted to be playing, because the lag makes it impossible to do anything or enjoy it even a little. This is a HUGE shame because the game has so much potential and I love it, I've played since Guild Wars 1 when I was a kid. The Steam launch is going to be a disaster if they don't get this figured out, and I'm extremely sad to see it's current state.Also this.

I just had a massive lagfest during a Tequatl fight. Yes, my usual ping on EU is close to 300, and yes, with many people around, things can get a bit worse. But we're talking about well over a MINUTE between me pressing a button and something happening. At one point I got knocked down, downed and then raised at least a minute after it happened. I'm quite frankly disgusted. Unless you can fix these issues, not only will I no longer even vaguely consider purchasing gems, but I'll also stop investing my time in it.

A few things to note:

• The problem is not on my/our end; it is the server's or the method the game connects to said servers.
  • It is instance-based. Whenever I've had this issue, it automatically cleared up if I went to another region.
  • It's not population-based. Yes, a higher population can lower ping, but I'm in a busy LA instance right now, and I'm hitting my usual ping without any issues.
  • It primarily affects EU servers - I've got an NA account, and though things aren't always perfect, I've never had anything this bad there.

I first had the issue a few months ago in certain PoF areas (mostly the Desert Highlands), which was a pain to say the least - I literally couldn't play the content I had paid for, which was doubly painful as the few times I had time to actually do stuff in the PoF areas, there was an 80% chance the issue would rear it's ugly head, either from the start or after an hour or two. But it's definitely been spreading. Whatever it is, you need to sort it out.

I've enjoyed GW2 for years, playing it both on EU and NA (mostly on NA), but at this point, you're making it hard for me to invest time and money into the game. NA might be fine now, but if you can't keep running EU servers to at least a playable extent, then I have no guarantee that NA will be fine either.

And whatever you do, please fix the issue before you release the game on Steam. If you don't, then not only will the lag get worse as the flimsy servers get overburdened with new players, you'll also get a ton of bad PR and ruin your chance at getting a healthier cashflow for this game. Your players/fans want you to succeed, don't mess it up for yourselves.

IMHO I just came back to this game and bought some living word episodes with gems. Why is it even possible to buy episodes like the one with thunderhead peak when the map is completely unplayable half of the time? Apparently this is already going on for months, this is just basic functionallity that should be working properly. (lag on launch day etc is understandable but this is a complete joke).

• 2 weeks later...

I did a few tests in Thunderhead Peaks and what I found is puzzling. my usual ping is 70-80ms but while waiting at the door to the keep I got spikes between 180 and 230ms. The spikes were sudden and made no sense because although I went there when the meta was active game wide, I went 5 minutes later so there was no meta running on my map. Going from 70-80 to 180-230 is very very noticeable, which reinforces my belief that those saying they don't experience any lag spikes, actually do.

Every event is the same, the WvW ping goes to me from 126 to a range of 576ms to 2100ms. And it is not my route as members of my clan who live in north carolina, california and texas have faced the same problem. Simply reset is impossible to play, every day after the standard reset time, the servers experience an absurd lag. I think the company should respect the customers who play WVW only a little, the rewards no longer help, a wvw char is not sustained with the wvw rewards, ai absurd lag to save servers is complicated. it was like that in 4winds, now in madking.

It is very clear to those who have a little experience in IT, that the company is reducing the servers to make more servers in PVE EVENTS, so there is no need to invest in infrastructure. The "new system under test" creates queues even though there is no one in the BL in case the other BL has a large volume of people entering, it has caused those who enter first to fill their side and create a queue even without anyone on the other, then we have BLOBS vs groups of 15 players, without more players being able to enter the server. Once again the WVW players are harmed, I wonder what the trash will be with the entry of STEAM players.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I did a few tests in Thunderhead Peaks and what I found is puzzling. my usual ping is 70-80ms but while waiting at the door to the keep I got spikes between 180 and 230ms. The spikes were sudden and made no sense because although I went there when the meta was active game wide, I went 5 minutes later so there was no meta running on my map. Going from 70-80 to 180-230 is very very noticeable, which reinforces my belief that those saying they don't experience any lag spikes, actually do.

I’ve watched the ping in game and tracked it on Pingplotter at the same time. No spikes. I’ve done this numerous times for that map and others over the course of the past several months.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I did a few tests in Thunderhead Peaks and what I found is puzzling. my usual ping is 70-80ms but while waiting at the door to the keep I got spikes between 180 and 230ms. The spikes were sudden and made no sense because although I went there when the meta was active game wide, I went 5 minutes later so there was no meta running on my map. Going from 70-80 to 180-230 is very very noticeable, which
reinforces my belief that those saying they don't experience any lag spikes, actually do.

I’ve watched the ping in game and tracked it on Pingplotter at the same time. No spikes. I’ve done this numerous times for that map and others over the course of the past several months.

It's normal not to get issues using an external application if the problem is inside the server itself (pings won't be affected, but in-game performance will)

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I did a few tests in Thunderhead Peaks and what I found is puzzling. my usual ping is 70-80ms but while waiting at the door to the keep I got spikes between 180 and 230ms. The spikes were sudden and made no sense because although I went there when the meta was active game wide, I went 5 minutes later so there was no meta running on my map. Going from 70-80 to 180-230 is very very noticeable, which
reinforces my belief that those saying they don't experience any lag spikes, actually do.

It's normal not to get issues using an external application if the problem is inside the server itself (pings won't be affected, but in-game performance will)

In-game performance was not affected.

I find it odd that you quote a post about ping and then say it reinforces your belief that everyone experiences lag. You get countered by someone saying that they had no ping issues, and then you do a 180 and say it’s normal for ping to not be affected. It’s as if ping only matters if it fits the narrative.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I find it odd that you quote a post about ping and then say it reinforces your belief that everyone experiences lag. You get countered by someone saying that they had no ping issues, and then you do a 180 and say it’s normal for ping to not be affected. It’s as if ping only matters if it fits the narrative.

I wasn't countered though as I find no reason to believe you when you say in-game performance was not affected, given your post history on the subject. Or that you even cared to use pingplotter to verify you aren't affected. I'd rather see numerous pictures confirming it. As for ping, if the server has issues you will find out that you can have good fps/ping and still have a horrible experience, I'm not sure how is that contested.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

I wasn't countered though as I find no reason to believe you when you say in-game performance was not affected, given your post history on the subject. Or that you even cared to use pingplotter to verify you aren't affected. I'd rather see numerous pictures confirming it. As for ping, if the server has issues you will find out that you can have good fps/ping and still have a horrible experience, I'm not sure how is that contested.

I’ve stated numerous times in the past that I have gone to Thunderhead Peaks, Sandswept, and other maps, gotten the IP and tracked them as I played on the maps. I played during the same metas on the same map instances of people claiming in map chat about lag and yet I had no issues. All of my skills went off as they should. My ping was stable and normal.

I find it odd that I’m the one being told to provide evidence when all of those experiencing lag don’t. Why don’t you ask them for their ping traces? Why don’t you ask them for video evidence of their lag? It’s a bit of a double standard, don’t you think?