Charged Stormcaller Weapons

Guest [Deleted User]

I don't feel like the cost for these is in a good place. My feeling is that when they decided last minute not to require the T1 weapons they didn't do a very good analysis on the impact of the cost of the replacement component. Previous weapon set achievements from LW episodes cost at most about 200 gold, sometimes considerably less. This is a reasonable stretch goal for most players. Charged Stormcaller set is still sitting at nearly 1200 gold months after the release. If I wanted to blow 1000g on an achievement I'd buy that "I'm Rich You Know" title!

I don't think there's a solution at this point that would make all players happy (any change that reduces the crafting reqs or makes the components cheaper would be met by ire from players who have already sunk the gold in), but what do you guys think about the situation? Is this where you would like future weapon set achievements to land (very expensive to acquire and thus more rare), or do you think they messed up and would like them to be more widely obtainable? Is the reward for the achievement (16 jazzed up skins we already have, 50 AP, 3 lodestones, a title, and a Gift of Lightning) good enough to justify the expense? Should they do something with the next release to put downward pressure on the price (e.g. boss that can drop Stormcaller Cores)?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't feel like it's "late," because as long as the collection is in the game the circumstances around its completion are relevant, at least to people who haven't done it yet. Also, it's especially relevant as time passes because generally with things like this the price goes down as time goes on - they start out very expensive with a large amount of people looking to complete them and consuming the relevant resources rather than selling them (i.e. low supply + high demand = high prices). So it's not necessarily clear if things are tuned improperly during the first months. If these have settled into their long-term prices and they're still vastly more expensive than similar achievements and not much different from their launch prices, IMO they're not in a good place.

Not sure why otters matter all that much - you can't resell them. The crafting components are the main issue. Each weapon is baseline at 6g just by using the most expensive inscription + 10 ectos. The stormcaller cores and lodestones control how far up they go from there - you can't get cores from anything but crafting, which keeps their prices quite high. Lodestones also come from a few achievements and can drop rarely from Drakkar, but their base components cost more so their price has been high for a long time. Another problem is that, unlike with similar achievements, you don't get a lot of components as tier rewards as you progress the achievement. That made the other ones much more obtainable.

So, what can they do about it? It would be unlikely they would tweak the recipes and, say, require only 1 core and lodestone each. They'd also never change the achievement rewards, obviously. So really the only thing they could do is offer additional ways to acquire stormcaller cores and/or draconic lodestones. Most likely option would be as possible drops from a new meta or strike boss.

Even still, the point of the thread was less about changing anything for Charged Stormcaller weapons and more about thoughts on meta achievements with this level of cost and reward. I guess people don't feel very strongly about it though. :p

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:I don't feel like it's "late," because as long as the collection is in the game the circumstances around its completion are relevant, at least to people who haven't done it yet. Also, it's especially relevant as time passes because generally with things like this the price goes down as time goes on - they start out very expensive with a large amount of people looking to complete them and consuming the relevant resources rather than selling them (i.e. low supply + high demand = high prices). So it's not necessarily clear if things are tuned improperly during the first months. If these have settled into their long-term prices and they're still vastly more expensive than similar achievements and not much different from their launch prices, IMO they're not in a good place.

Not sure why otters matter all that much - you can't resell them. The crafting components are the main issue. Each weapon is baseline at 6g just by using the most expensive inscription + 10 ectos. The stormcaller cores and lodestones control how far up they go from there - you can't get cores from anything but crafting, which keeps their prices quite high. Lodestones also come from a few achievements and can drop rarely from Drakkar, but their base components cost more so their price has been high for a long time. Another problem is that, unlike with similar achievements, you don't get a lot of components as tier rewards as you progress the achievement. That made the other ones much more obtainable.

So, what can they do about it? It would be unlikely they would tweak the recipes and, say, require only 1 core and lodestone each. They'd also never change the achievement rewards, obviously. So really the only thing they could do is offer additional ways to acquire stormcaller cores and/or draconic lodestones. Most likely option would be as possible drops from a new meta or strike boss.

Even still, the point of the thread was less about changing anything for Charged Stormcaller weapons and more about thoughts on meta achievements with this level of cost and reward. I guess people don't feel very strongly about it though. :p

Just like the gift of lightning or whatever the end goal is is valued the same as one or two of the weapons, so you’re better off crafting that without doing the achievement. I just don’t have incentive to do it other than if I want those skins. The tiered rewards just cut the overall cost down a little. Other than that it’s not too rewarding in my opinion. If you do want every skin unlocked then this is for you. I just spend all my money on legendaries these days so if I feel it’s not worth completing I won’t do it. If it was required for mastery I would have been working on completing it by now.

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:Just like the gift of lightning or whatever the end goal is is valued the same as one or two of the weapons, so you’re better off crafting that without doing the achievement. I just don’t have incentive to do it other than if I want those skins. The tiered rewards just cut the overall cost down a little. Other than that it’s not too rewarding in my opinion. If you do want every skin unlocked then this is for you. I just spend all my money on legendaries these days so if I feel it’s not worth completing I won’t do it. If it was required for mastery I would have been working on completing it by now.

I agree - you have to really want the skins, or just have a lot of gold to burn. This is not a casual achievement. And that's kind of where I have a problem - these are just a slightly sparklier version of a skin we already have. I think they really messed up swapping out the original weapons for a whole new component. They probably should have done something like they did with the Boneskinner weapons if they were afraid of a bunch of tickets from people who didn't read - once you've unlocked the tier 1 weapon, it adds a crafting component to vendor tab that you need for the recipe.

I think for future collections if they are building off of previous skins, and part of the map achievements, the incremental cost should not be this high - they should be approachable medium-term goals. If they are going to be unique premium skins, and part of the Rare collections, then I'd be more open to this level of cost.

• 1 month later...