Why does armor of earth suck so bad? [WvW]

lodjur.1284

Compare to

Stand your Ground

Half the cd

Affects 5 targets

Half the stacks but stacks above 5 are rarely relevant due to strips and /or short-ish duration.

Or to

Defense Field

Less than half the cd

AoE

Blocks projectiles

Or even worse to

Dolyak Stance

Half the cd, affects 5 targets (with the trait every soulbeast uses)

Gives protection that stacks with protection and works against condi (and that can't be stripped)

Gives immunity to immob/chill/cripple.

Half the stacks but stacks above 5 are rarely relevant due to strips and /or short-ish duration.

Some difference in quality of skills is understandable between class, but armor of earth is a joke compared to these.

My favorite part is that it gives 10 stacks of stab for 6 seconds, but stab can be removed by CC only every 0.75 seconds, meaning that it's impossible for those 10 stacks to get utilized unless you get 30% or more boon duration.

IMO it should be a short immunity to CC and damage reduction without having any boons (no cantrips should have boons unless traited). That way it makes more sense even thematically. I don't know why a dolyak gives better protection than earth...

@steki.1478 said:My favorite part is that it gives 10 stacks of stab for 6 seconds, but stab can be removed by CC only every 0.75 seconds, meaning that it's impossible for those 10 stacks to get utilized unless you get 30% or more boon duration.

I think my favorite is it getting randomly nerfed (even tho it was bad) in feb when dolyak stance /SyG/Defense Field all got to stay the same

IMO it should be a short immunity to CC and damage reduction without having any boons (no cantrips should have boons unless traited). That way it makes more sense even thematically. I don't know why a dolyak gives better protection than earth...

One of many decent suggestions

I would guess they don't want to do stability but not as a boon tho. Afai can remember that doesn't exist anywhere else (except banners, kind of).

Either way even if it was just stab+unique dmg reduction on shorter cd than current it would be a lot less terrible

It is pretty ineffective in comparison to a lot of those traits. At least give it some barrier now that we're tossing that into every other defensive skill. If not barrier then perhaps a flat damage reduction and temporary immunity to condition damage?

Something would be nice.