What would be the ideal Commander?

AzuraBlackcoin.1809

I think sylvari herald. In the sylvari story you get introduced to trahearne and the risen way faster than the other races, (not to mention that whole dynamic with mordremoth) and as a herald you channel glint, which works with the whole aurene thing. If you really want to go further you could also have ventari as your secondary legend to keep with the sylvari theme. But then again, revenant technically shouldn't exist until after rytlock does his whole thing soo....

Charr, naturally. Ha. All playing aside though, it's kind of a complicated question.

Without the presence of the player, the ideal would be that there is no Commander, they're only there to provide the player agency within the story, in any other work they simply wouldn't exist and you'd have representatives of all the races. This is how it should be. I wish it were that way with the Pact as well, to be honest, as I'd love to see the Pact lead by a council rather than putting all too much power in the hands of one man. I mean, not to get too political but the current climate suggests the folly of that kind of oversight.

Other than that? Where the Commander exists as agency for the player, the ideal Commander is whomsoever the player identifies with. For myself, it's going to be a charr because of course it is. However, for anyone else it could be any of the now available playable races and all choices are equally valid. No matter who the Commander is, they're the Commander in your story and that makes them ideal.

That's the best I can offer, there is no de facto answer to a question like this.

@KeoLegend.5132 said:Female Norn ofc, thats what i play.I tried female human but meh.

I can't see a bond between a male and aurene. LWS4 just screams female commander.

Can you elaborate a bit more here?Why can't you see a bond between a male and Aurene?

Tbh, I can't come up with another reason why you claim this besides you stereotyping males here....

@Kodama.6453 said:

@KeoLegend.5132 said:Female Norn ofc, thats what i play.I tried female human but meh.

I can't see a bond between a male and aurene. LWS4 just screams female commander.

Can you elaborate a bit more here?
Why
can't you see a bond between a male and Aurene?

Tbh, I can't come up with another reason why you claim this besides you stereotyping males here....

Sure i can.I've tried playing male manders. It kinda works on Story and LWS1. But beyond that, when Aurene gets introduced, i had a very big sense of being a mother figure to her. If you look around theres Aurene, Glint, Caithe, all female figures and somewhat related to caring and tending, while the males (Rytlock, Logan, Canach, etc) are kinda far away from that bond relationship and more focused on war plans, strategy and combat.I'm not saying that a male commander being like a father figure to Aurene is impossible, its just hard for me to see it like that because it feels off. Since S2 im tending that egg like a bird mother and that wouldn't make any sense with my male manders.

On the other hand, it depends alot on which season we are talking about. My Norn Female commander felt really really bad on Icebrood saga. I felt like a Male Human or Charr would suit better because of the theme. It was really strange to see my NORN asking about spirits and stuff, when in the reality she had the same culture and beliefs and should have known everything about it since the beginning.

@KeoLegend.5132 said:

Can you elaborate a bit more here?
Why
can't you see a bond between a male and Aurene?

Sure i can.I've tried playing male manders. It kinda works on Story and LWS1. But beyond that, when Aurene gets introduced, i had a very big sense of being a mother figure to her. If you look around theres Aurene, Glint, Caithe, all female figures and somewhat related to caring and tending, while the males (Rytlock, Logan, Canach, etc) are kinda far away from that bond relationship and more focused on war plans, strategy and combat.I'm not saying that a male commander being like a father figure to Aurene is impossible, its just hard for me to see it like that because it feels off. Since S2 im tending that egg like a bird mother and that wouldn't make any sense with my male manders.

Actually, I think I remember the devs saying the Commander was supposed to have a father role for Aurene (regardless of the PC's gender). Caithe is supposed to be the mother figure instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably your typical male heroic warrior that is used in almost every RPG. Maybe anything heavy combat and nonmagic related like a less sneaky martial oriented thief or a non nature magic ranger, a less magic oriented guardian etc. Still think warrior suits most. Pretty much all other classes have some sort of magic/special abilities that would let him bullshit their way out of bad situations that need to be bad situations for plot purposes.

Also in the story the commander is pretty much treated as a warrior or at least someone who solves his problems with his "fists". A few examples from the top of my head:-in hot kasmeer teleports the party around and you have to glide everywhere. She even says a line: glide down commander. If he had magic he could also teleport around easily.-if you choose priory as your order and your mentor teleports around in the tomb you still have to jump around like an idiot-in lws3 queen jenna says: You just relentlessly smash things until they're no longer at odds with you.-in pof zafirah says something like you made a flashy entrance when you came to elonia. Not very thieflike.-lws3 lake doric heart mission where you have to sneak into a stronghold an npc helps you disguise yourself even if you are a thief or mesmer saying you are not good enough

I'm sure you will find other ones as well i just remembered these ones. Basically everytime you solve a threat you solve it with a npc or weapon not with your innante skillset.

Bonus: check out the pact commander wiki there you will find pics of the commander. He is almost always pictured as someone in heavy armor and sword and shield.

This is really difficult as each part of GW2 is geared towards different races. For example, the Core game treats all races equally, even in the dungeons, while being semi-Sylvari focused due to the presence of Trahearne. Then LS2 and HoT take the Sylvari focus up to the next level, but they still have other focuses, like how much Asura and Charr ingenuity play a role in those battles.

And then LS3 was a mixed bag because it had a heavy Human focus (Lake Doric, Orr, Balthazar, Shining Blade, etc.).

I do feel like PoF & LS4 were overly Human-centric (with some Asura and Charr love here and there), to an extreme, because you never even saw NPCs of any other races due to the region. I'm worried we'll have the same thing with Cantha, which is unsatisfying.

Given how Rytlock is the most present NPC in the game, especially with Charr Personal Story, I could easily see the Commander being a Charr. But Asura, Human, and Sylvari all play big roles in the game, its only the Norn who rarely show up or do anything. Plus, I think being a Commander fits with the Norn's ideals the least; though one could argue a Norn Commander would have the greatest legend in history.

But like I siad, I think Charr would definitely suite the most given everything that's happened.

@Westenev.5289 said:I think the director of any gw2 movie would probably spend 5-10 hours in the game, and any choices they made or events they experienced become canon.

That's usually how game to movie adaptions work, right?

Geez, five to ten hours? Directors don't have time for that shit, they're much too busy hobnobbing with Hollywood celebrities or New York financiers that didn't kill themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to throw a curve ball in here...Tengu Ranger (Druid for HoT and who becomes a Revenant around the end of LS3) who has personal ties to Trahearne (possibly friends who met somewhere). Why? This prevents the stepping on toes for PS choices, and also gives a good reason for why they'd accept him as the Commander. He's not a part of any Order before this point, but because of Trahearne's personal recommendation along with them witnessing him taking down a Dragon Champion, they're perfectly fine with it.

By being a Ranger, it gives him a "link" to the magical forces of nature and could give a bit of a "sixth sense" to when dragon minions attack outside of Orr, allowing him to sense them (inside Orr of course would be difficult, due to the amount of corruption there). Druid would strengthen his connection to the forces of nature, something he'd need desperately in Maguuma due to everything trying to kill him in there. Learning the basics of Revenant shortly after the end of HoT from Rytlock, it builds off his connection to nature, giving him a connection to the Mists themselves and expanding his repertoire of magical energy uses, something we see the Commander do quite a bit in LS3. His learning of some of the new magic skills from LS3 would coincide with his gaining experience as a Revenant and his already extensive knowledge as a Druid.

Revenant would be fully mastered by the time PoF is entered, making specific events feel like they flow better. I won't go into much more after that due to how spoilerific everything from PoF on is, and you basically get the gist at this point.

@"Taril.8619" said:A good film wouldn't want to err too much onto showing the same classes too much, so the Commander would likely have a unique class. Which leaves the aforementioned Warrior and Elementalist. Warrior would be the easiest to implement, heavy armour some simple martial weapons (Probably Sword and Board) and jobs done. Though if the idea was to be something different to highlight GW2, Elementalist could work well as their attunement shifting could make for dramatic battles and would help solidify their "Commander" title if they were doing thematic things like helping allies with healing water magics, blocking attacks with earth magic, plowing through trash with fire magic and creating intense boss fights with air magic.

rytlock is a warrior, zojja an elementalist, they're both taken in personal story, but significantly less than other classes.

a movie class would be a visually mighty one, warrior doesn't fit that role, ele does.ele definitely is the best class a movie commander could take. now ele doesn't pair so well with charr and norn lore-wise. given that zojja is an ele and connected to the asuran commander that works but the magical nature of tyrian humans also fits very well. not so sure about sylvari, imo sylvari lore puts them more into the ranger/guardian roles.

for the story human fits best until IBS but at the time of IBS the commander is a global superstar and could be of any species, sex and profession.so a human elementalist. now which sex? gw2 is notorious at making no difference whatsoever, so it's just the sex the actor happens to be.