PvP counterplay

Jonathan.1948

Hey, everyone. I've gotten a lot more accustomed to the gameplay since my last thread, and have a newfound interest in PvP. I've been playing many rounds of it and I've come across several classes of which I struggle to determine proper counterplay against. I enjoy going between a condition Mirage Axe+Pistol|Sword/Sceptor+Torch and a power Chronomancer GS|Sword+Shield (there seems to be some abilities that damage me through my block). I've utilized the advice of builds on metabattlewiki. However, there are professions that are a complete brickwall to my current skill level:

Engineer: Flamethrower, refreshing might, and what appears to be a second HP bar (it's orange in color?). These guys punish me on my Mirage whenever I get close, and have enough range and chase to run me down even with Blink.Reaper: If I don't use the block provided by the Chronomancer's shield or the greatsword's swing, their scythe spin is an instant-kill with enough sustain to ignore damage output of my Mirage and Chronomancer.Tempest: Enough damage, utility, chase, escape, and sustain to make me hide from this class only and engage in teamfights.

This is still a learning experience for me but having played thousands of rounds of League of Legends in the past, I learned to seek methods of counterplay against my matchups. Can any of you help me in that aspect? Thank you!

@Jonathan.1948 said:Hey, everyone. I've gotten a lot more accustomed to the gameplay since my last thread, and have a newfound interest in PvP. I've been playing many rounds of it and I've come across several classes of which I struggle to determine proper counterplay against. I enjoy going between a condition Mirage Axe+Pistol|Sword/Sceptor+Torch and a power Chronomancer GS|Sword+Shield (there seems to be some abilities that damage me through my block). I've utilized the advice of builds on metabattlewiki. However, there are professions that are a complete brickwall to my current skill level:

Engineer: Flamethrower, refreshing might, and what appears to be a second HP bar (it's orange in color?). These guys punish me on my Mirage whenever I get close, and have enough range and chase to run me down even with Blink.Reaper: If I don't use the block provided by the Chronomancer's shield or the greatsword's swing, their scythe spin is an instant-kill with enough sustain to ignore damage output of my Mirage and Chronomancer.Tempest: Enough damage, utility, chase, escape, and sustain to make me hide from this class only and engage in teamfights.

This is still a learning experience for me but having played thousands of rounds of League of Legends in the past, I learned to seek methods of counterplay against my matchups. Can any of you help me in that aspect? Thank you!

avoid scrappers of any kind, they gain barrier when they cc or deal damage. this counts for clones/phantasms too so they generate MUCH more barrier then reasonable and thus mesmer just cant punch through it.Against reaper, keep your distance and poke them from range, try to force their reaper form and then disengage, and keep engaging when they leave it. as condi mirage, when they enter lich for its very possible to go all in and burst them, but its very risky.Tempest is a support, I dont think condi mes has chances of killing it, but on power, depending on build, you could poke them down to ~70% hp and then do extended combos in hopes of bursting them down. It will all boild down to1 Landing long CC. ( when they CANT remove it, so they have no cooldowns )2 Following with massive F1 spike that double taps them

I haven't tested it but I'd imagine the meta build with domination and boon strip would be alright against scrappers. You just have to time your burst really well. The other problem is having enough cover conditions to overload them. Flamethrower is pretty cancer though and you might take more damage in your non evasion windows than its worth, especially if they still have their condi clear up.

Reaper is difficult because it seems most are running condi to life force conversion in the blood tree now. So power and choosing the best window to burst is probably going to be the best method against them. They also have quite a bit of access to stab now so if you're running chrono make sure to gravity well when they don't have full stab. It's best to stay at range from them but I know that's getting harder to do with the multiple teleports and if they're running speed runes or spectral grasp. Axe 2 also hits pretty freakin' hard if you're trying to ranged, and if they're running staff they can bombard you with marks. >_>

Tempest - just don't. lol Maybe if you're running power but they have a lot of reflects, shocking aura, and large aoes that can destroy your clones/phantasms and heavily negate your offensive pressure.

I have an 80 of every profession and all of them have their pros and cons. I fell in love with 2 classes and havent changed in years--Mesmer & Thief.

I actually kinda enjoy that mesmer is not META--I squeeze out, to the best of my, and the class itself, abilities--semi toptier dps. Cause someday, the pendullum will swing back into our favor--so, it will be just an extra boon for me and my beloved Mirage. The only time he has to take a backseat to my Thief is for CM 99--cause pdps and burst phases is a must here.