Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

@dandamanno.4136 said:

@Darrack.4069 said:Greetings all, hope you are all well?

Sooooo i have recently returned to the game after leaving during HOT (sorry it drove me mad!), ive spent the last years in ESO but am disillusioned with the way that game is now going.The game is amazing and i now realise what ive been missing, i love open world PvP and as a soloer the WvW here is really fun.

BUT, to unlock stuff, mounts, etc you need to progress the story and so i have been putting a lot of time into catching up.Im stuck in both living world and this stupid Departing bug.I am shocked that this has been going on for so long and folks here just accept it? for all its faults ive never come across a bug in ESO that stopped progression.I really want to recommend this game and bring my guild here from ESO (some 60+ players) but how can i with this current issue?Why is there no official response from the bugs team? Do they have one?Im an old gamer (really old), if this could be fixed my end trust me it would be done but this is clearly a programming issue.

I like many others would really appreciate a response to this thread and i am really hoping Anet have better respect for their player base than what we have to put up with in ESO.

Be Safe

Probably won't get any response, other than the one already posted in this thread.You can try any one of the plethora of tips/workarounds found in this thread.

Good luck.

That's what im afraid of, its sad that game breaking issues are not dealt with.Sadly i will probably just stick to WVW and not buy any story content (like many folks i have spoken to), this must be costing them a fortune.Anyway best not dwell, i was well known for moaning in ESO and my forum bans were considerable!

Be Safe

The only solution in this thread that I have not tested thoroughly is the - clientport 443 command line argument suggested on the last page, mainly because I have not been doing the storyline atm.

The poster seems knowledable though so it's worth a shot.

I would think that Anet would take notice and implement a permanent solution if any of these seem likely to be the fix, but I think they're no longer paying attention. Also if it is an isp or internet routing issue they would not be able to reproduce it easily.

Thanks for the reply,I spent all last night and this morning trying the different methods folks have posted here with a further 7 disconnects, ive submitted another ticket but that's all im willing to waste my time on. If i don't get a response then my return here will be short, no chance am i continuing with a broken story line (also stuck with disconnects in LW) when the developers don't care.

Thanks everyone anywayBe Safe

So as a returning player i have been staggered at the amount of disconnects in both Living World and the main story line.This is stuff that prevents progress which is even more frustrating when mounts are locked behind content.Soooo i am just trying to get an idea how rife this is as from discussions in game it seems to be 'The Norm'.Do we need to shout louder (im good at that) or is it just a select few of us who need to forget the game and go back to where we came from?I must stress that i never get disconnects during normal play which i have found to be really smooth (except POF zones but lets not go there!)

Be Safe

In mmo's bugs that "block progress" are usually top priority, and rightly so. Anet shouldn't be backburning this issue. Many solutions have been suggested in regards to how they can work around the problem without needing to "fix" it necessarily, such as more checkpoints during long, cutscene rich storyline instances. If they just updated one or two instances per patch it could be mitigated greatly within a year.

@"dandamanno.4136" said:In mmo's bugs that "block progress" are usually top priority, and rightly so. Anet shouldn't be backburning this issue. Many solutions have been suggested in regards to how they can work around the problem without needing to "fix" it necessarily, such as more checkpoints during long, cutscene rich storyline instances. If they just updated one or two instances per patch it could be mitigated greatly within a year.

This is the main reason i started the poll, as a returning player i couldn't believe that folks weren't screaming the roof down.I have never come across a game where progress blocking bugs have gone unaddressed for so long and the excuse of 'we could not replicate this' is not really good enough.Its sad that its obviously a fault deep within the game as so many people get the issue on different parts of the story.Having now made my scrapper my new main i have started from the beginning again doing the personal story and LV2 with numerous disconnects including many mentioned on these forums (Tower Down took 12 trys!!).

Be Safe

Ok so i finally finished the Departing.But i did nothing fancy.No extra port numbers no dancing naked round the camp fire, the only thing i did different was to bring a friend, my sister in fact who's been playing this game from the start.But just in case heres how i rolled:

Fought Balthazar as normal, got killed, woke up.Listened to all the dialog, got my equipment.Fought clones in the cave and went to see the Judge.Listened to all the dialog.Then speed followed the white bird ignoring all the banter and climbed up the tree thing to see Balthazar again (all the time my sister following as a wispy thing).Returned to the judge, listened to the dialog.Killed Eater of souls with Sister actively helping just in case this helped.Once dead i backed away from the prison, there's some trees just back from the scene i ran around which usually stopped me from disconnecting at this point.As soon as you are able to head up to the gate, run, don't wait for the dialog to end, enter the portal out.

This is where i have been crashing recently, this time it didn't and the only change was having someone with me.

In case anything else matters i did this at 10:30 GMT, PC (decent not GCHQ spec) and Virgin cable internet.The character is a Soulbeast and i skipped in and out of pet meld as i needed (previously ive tried with pet out all the way or with no pet).Kaspersky security running as normal so firewalls etc don't seem to make any difference.

Cheers all the gods were smiling today.

Be Safe

Just a few days ago, I was disconnected at the very end of the first mission from the latest episode and had to redo the whole thing. This is on a brandnew system, but story disconnects at the end of missions or when a cutscene gets triggered happened on the old one as well - therefore, I assume it isn't client-sided.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"DannyBoy.9601" said:eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnectsI wouldn't recommend that for wireless internet connections.

Stating a fact is neither an endorsement for nor against. I'm sure players can make those decisions for themselves without others' input.

You are sure, but I am not as due to my personal experience many players know very little about their systems, PC configuration and maintenance, or system security, so it doesn't hurt to articulate a warning.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Just a few days ago, I was disconnected at the very end of the first mission from the latest episode and had to redo the whole thing. This is on a brandnew system, but story disconnects at the end of missions or when a cutscene gets triggered happened on the old one as well - therefore, I assume it isn't client-sided.

@"DannyBoy.9601" said:eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnectsI wouldn't recommend that for wireless internet connections.

Stating a fact is neither an endorsement for nor against. I'm sure players can make those decisions for themselves without others' input.

You are sure, but I am not as due to my personal experience many players know very little about their systems, PC configuration and maintenance, or system security, so it doesn't hurt to articulate a warning.

If you are going to respond, at least quote the part my statement is responding to.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet suggests using a VPN; I understand there are free ones.

Do you consider the free services secure? Giving Google and others even more data than they've already gathered about you might not be the smartest move.

@dandamanno.4136 said:

@"Danger Ferret.6342" said:I'm finding this extremely frustrating as well. I've disabled my AV and my firewall, rebooted my cable modem/router. Nothing solves the problem. At this point, I'm ready to give up. Games are supposed to be fun, and having to fight not just the game monsters, but the code bugs and disconnects just ... isn't.

Search for the "Storyline Disconnects-Merged" thread. The latest "fix" (there are many supposed fixes, but the random nature of the problem can make it hard to pin down) is to add the command line argument "-clientport 443" to the gw2.exe target through a shortcut to the program.

Does it work? Who knows! But it's worth a try right?

Thanks! I will give that a try.

I just spent more time that I can afford on the same crash in The Departed. I have seen the same at the end of other instances. I have put more than enough time into trying the 'fixes'. PC hardware is not uniform, and sometimes a piece of software refuses to run on a piece of hardware. This is very rare, but still true in 2020.

I think this just happens to a small subset of users and most likely it's a hardware support problem that ANet won't fix. To be blunt: it's a business decision to not fix it. I don't think this is ANet being lazy, as it might be costly to fix. I have tried most of the 'fixes' and the lack of an official fix or comment from ANet really tells you all you need to know. To be blunt: they don't work and/or, didn't for me. My understanding of the situation is they don't work for a lot of people. Don't spend time looking for a fix that doesn't exist. If you are willing to reboot a lot and run The Departed A LOT, you may get past it. It's just going to be painful.

• 2 weeks later...

some parts of the game still buggy it seems.. returning player here, was just researching issues with personal story.. and uncovered quite a few "issues" with them in general.

my issue was with the personal story not working correctly (had a cutscene not play and i had to alt f4).. and redo it, given its only a few minutes long (as its one of the first story quests) i was relatively meh on that... Seems like i should prepare mentally for personal story quests just failing at the later levels and redoing hours of content.

I am also disconnecting after the last cut scene in almost every instance i join, even dungeon stories. I've tried the -clientport 80 and -clientport 443 arguments, allowing the game through firewall, moving around in the cuts cene, spamming auto attack, repairing the game, re downloading: all to no avail. I even switched out my modem, and nothing. GW2 is the ONLY game this happens in, and ONLY in story instances or anything to do with the last cut scene in an instance. Maybe it has to do with the way rewards appear at the end?Also i don't see how this is hard to replicate if it happens every single time, for multiple people.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't complete the final mission on HOT, always get disconnected after the cutscene plays after the first boss.8 times I've tried it now.I have done everything Anet suggest, port forwarding, allow through firewall.I also tried all the other suggestions with no luck.

The steam release is a terrible idea while this bug isn't being addressed, the game will get review bombed.. hell.. that might make the dev team actually sort it out.

Vault of holiness quest, have done this quest four times - trying a fifth time. I get a disconnected error and it asks me to restart the client. I have had this happen in a few other places, but never as consistently and irritably as in this case because the quest takes a long time -- only to disconnect at the end.

This is an long standing issue that seems to plague some players constantly (myself included) and only happens to others very rarely.

Many attempts at solutions have been posted in various threads but none has worked for me except this: do the "offending" mission on a different internet connection. In my case I used the hotspot function on my cellphone (more than enough to run GW2 and not too much data used). That has allowed me to get past every story instance where this happened.