Thief is totally broken now.

jgeezz.7832

@"sneakytails.5629" said:Well there is playing Thief and killing some random Necro running back to the zerg, and then there is playing Thief and killing 2 supercharged soulbeasts, not dying and taking t3 Northcamp on ABL.

Are the soulbeasts respawning and running back backwards to NC with the show off montage intro walk toggled on or something?

There no way on earth a "supercharged" soulbeast dies fast enough for the other one to not make it back on time -each time- -if it would happen- -on top T3 mobs chain respawning overtime-...

And if both were no signet no GS and just knock back sic em rapid fire dumb brainiac spammers well that's not really supercharged is it.

Now if it was say east alpine camp I would believe it possible just due to respawning travel time to allow capturing said T3 camp.

@"aleron.1438" said:

There no way on earth a "supercharged" soulbeast dies fast enough for the other one to not make it back on time -each time- -if it would happen- -on top T3 mobs chain respawning overtime-...

Actually, I'm inclined to believe a Condi DD can in fact, kill a Soulbeast 1 on 1 and if supercharged meant Booned up.Bountiful Theft can be stacked with Sigil of Absorption to not only rip but STEAL, up to 5 Boons (3 from Sigil, 2 from WvW version of Bountiful) from a Booned up Soulbeast with a single Swipe.

Swipe is also unblockable, causing a single button to rip many beneficial Boons a Soulbeast could have at a time, and maybe stealing Might as well, making the Condi DD even stronger.

Bountiful also prioritizes Stab rip first, so it will always ensure that the Swipe is gonna daze as well, making the Sigil proc.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"aleron.1438" said:

Actually, I'm inclined to believe a Condi DD can in fact, kill a Soulbeast 1 on 1 and if supercharged meant Booned up.Bountiful Theft can be stacked with Sigil of Absorption to not only rip but STEAL, up to 5 Boons (3 from Sigil, 2 from WvW version of Bountiful) from a Booned up Soulbeast with a single Swipe.

Swipe is also unblockable, causing a single button to rip many beneficial Boons a Soulbeast could have at a time, and maybe stealing Might as well, making the Condi DD even stronger.

Bountiful also prioritizes Stab rip first, so it will always ensure that the Swipe is gonna daze as well, making the Sigil proc.

Thief can kill any ranger type, I didn't argue it couldn't, but the whole matter is doing it vs 2 and a t3 camp, in time to even capture it. That's why I jested. And Boonbeasts die even less fast than others. I already play with Rending Shade, Trickery and Binding Shadow, so yeah boonbeasts still fold (even easier now since the nerfs to them). Non newbie boonbeasts are already masters at keeping their pet in between them and their enemy for LOS/ blocking, and a t3 camp would just give many more body blockers for them to thrive long enough, further making it hard to clear/cap said t3 camp in time. So I'll just keep on assuming they were braindead Slbs

I made a Thief recently and have been having a lot of fun. I've been playing a core D/P build with CS/DA/Trickery, and a mixture of Marauder and Valkyrie + Eagle runes.

I don't have a problem with these images so don't misinterpret this as a complaint, but those of you saying "thEiF dOEs NO daMaGE" are out of your minds. I don't have a single piece of zerk on my Thief so I have 19k health, and I don't use Assassin's Signet and look at these crits.

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I made a Thief recently and have been having a lot of fun. I've been playing a core D/P build with CS/DA/Trickery, and a mixture of Marauder and Valkyrie + Eagle runes.

I don't have a problem with these images so don't misinterpret this as a complaint, but those of you saying "thEiF dOEs NO daMaGE" are out of your minds. I don't have a single piece of zerk on my Thief so I have 19k health, and I don't use Assassin's Signet and look at these crits.

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

The backstabs I can see happening, but the shadow shot damage is surprising haha. Makes me wonder what the other guy was running xD

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I made a Thief recently and have been having a lot of fun. I've been playing a core D/P build with CS/DA/Trickery, and a mixture of Marauder and Valkyrie + Eagle runes.

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

The backstabs I can see happening, but the shadow shot damage is surprising haha. Makes me wonder what the other guy was running xD

Agreed...I don’t run any toughness so I sometimes take big hits and 15k is...rng perfect.

@saerni.2584 said:

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

Agreed...I don’t run any toughness so I sometimes take big hits and 15k is...rng perfect.

I've dealt 8-9k shadow shots pretty happily before the feb patch, just trying to think how you would get 15k. I do hope that is an outlier, as that kind of damage plus the utility already in shadow shot would be insanely OP if it were in any way reliable.

5k shadow shots is what I call "normal" in wvw. Quite durable and beginner friendly thief builds get these numbers.

Unless you are fighting a bunker (that can't be killed by anyone, so there is no reason to complain about a specific thief issue) you can win your fights just with shadow shots and a few well timed dodges/evades. And the bunker you can just leave alone and move on, which other classes can't and are locked in the fight.

Fun fact:The shortbow autoattacks of SpellOfIniquity's build will deal ~4k damage as well. If you need even more carriage in the game, then you are just bad. =)

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

I've dealt 8-9k shadow shots pretty happily before the feb patch, just trying to think how you would get 15k. I do hope that is an outlier, as that kind of damage plus the utility already in shadow shot would be insanely OP if it were in any way reliable.

I can tell you exactly what happened because it was just today.

We had a zerg attacking Aldon's in EBG. A few people were near the spawn side of green keep attacking players and soon retreated back to our zerg at Aldons. One player was left behind so I ran toward him to cover for him when I noticed a Scourge on the cliff edge next to the keep gate. I 5 -> 2 stealthed, stole to him and backstabbed. I don't recall if I had extra Might on me, but the target definitely didn't have Vulnerability, I wasn't using Assassin's Signet and I didn't have 25 Bloodlust.

I've been playing Thief regularly for a few days now and it's not uncommon for me to be seeing 10 - 12k Heartseekers and 8 - 10k Shadow Shots. Mind you, that damage is drastically reduced on certain targets. Tanky Necros, Boonbeasts, condi Revs, etc. I'm hitting like... 3k Backstabs tops, lol.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

We had a zerg attacking Aldon's in EBG. A few people were near the spawn side of green keep attacking players and soon retreated back to our zerg at Aldons. One player was left behind so I ran toward him to cover for him when I noticed a Scourge on the cliff edge next to the keep gate. I 5 -> 2 stealthed, stole to him and backstabbed. I don't recall if I had extra Might on me, but the target definitely didn't have Vulnerability, I wasn't using Assassin's Signet and I didn't have 25 Bloodlust.

I've been playing Thief regularly for a few days now and it's not uncommon for me to be seeing 10 - 12k Heartseekers and 8 - 10k Shadow Shots. Mind you, that damage is
drastically
reduced on certain targets. Tanky Necros, Boonbeasts, condi Revs, etc. I'm hitting like... 3k Backstabs tops, lol.

Hmm. I don't tend to play core, so maybe it's the trait interactions between CS and DA that makes the difference. Still, interesting.

Edit; I don't play D/P much either, so it's possible I just am out of date on the numbers etc

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

I've been playing Thief regularly for a few days now and it's not uncommon for me to be seeing 10 - 12k Heartseekers and 8 - 10k Shadow Shots. Mind you, that damage is
drastically
reduced on certain targets. Tanky Necros, Boonbeasts, condi Revs, etc. I'm hitting like... 3k Backstabs tops, lol.

It might have depended on the target and then your friendly buffs along with structure/server buffs that you have as well as what they might not have. Moving around territories can change someones build without much notice, especially if you're busy in a fight while moving.

Also as much as people claim you don't need ascended armor or food and stuff you really do and they might not have. It's a pretty noticeable difference when i roll out without food, or even switching stats on one piece of gear, both for killing power and trying to sustain. WvW is a broad spectrum of people who are properly geared and super alert and ready to solo SMC to people just following zergs around to hit some nodes real quick.

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

What in the uplevel armorless light armor elementalist did I just see. 15k shadowshot 0_0

@kash.9213 said:Turn on time stamp in your chat for those screen shots.Why? Shadow Shot did not see any nerfs in february - and so didn't the DA, CS and Tr multipliers.

And shadow shot is the hardest hitting skill in his screens. Backstab hits as hard (15k) but has a higher multiplier. So you would expect it to even hit harder than the 15k shadow shot.

@jgeezz.7832 said:You are right nothing new but you think the dev's would look at the forms they must not because the current post are everyone trying to find a build that works because the Thief is so broken now.

I think threads like this are a REASON they don't look at the forums. Excited rants are not evidence something is broken ... especially if it doesn't represent the general experience of the playerbase and doubly so if it's not the result of a recent game change.

• 2 weeks later...

@yiksing.9432 said:If you think thief is bad, go fight a thief as a necro. Any decent thief that doesn't succumb to bloodlust will be able to easily kite you to oblivion.

I very, very, rarely lose on my reaper against most thief builds. Really just S/D DrD messes me up because Spite is countered by Larcenous strike.But thousands of hours of knowledge playing a class will make you learn all its weaknesses and strengths and make it very easy to beat.In a strict duel, thief/necro is only like a 55/45 or maybe on the top end of thieves 60/40. Most thieves absolutely suck and really only get away with what they do because of Scaredevil or stacking stealth. Both of which are valid concerns of the class' bad mechanics at the cost of other playstyles.

Ee5ceM9.jpgHUvG4Oe.jpg

It's been known and posted about (at least by me) for a LONG time that Shadow Shot is overtuned in its damage. If Backstab is hitting for 3k, Shadow Shot is hitting for about 2.2k. It's often worth casting repeatedly and has been for years - especially when it had a lower initiative cost - and is a major part of why I don't enjoy playing D/P. Backstab was also aggressively nerfed by nearly 30% in feburary whereas SShot was untouched, meaning it's even relatively stronger than it already used to be. So yeah. The class still has damage, but a lot of it is on skills which don't really make sense and on very limited builds. It comes from sources it shouldn't, which makes people complain, just like Warrior's old Dodge damage. When the damage isn't coming from major signature skills, people without much knowledge of the class don't realize the rest of the class can be weaker than they realize.

Dealing 7x damage isn't something that happens just because of some toughness on armor, though. 15k is unrealistic unless the opponent is running boonless with a light armor with a missing piece, no bonus toughness, no food, no PoK and has 25 vuln, where you have PoK + 25 might + max LA stacks + Assassin's Signet + shared modifiers from other players. It can happen, but it's so far beyond the point of it being a class issue it's really pointless to even discuss it. This is 12k reaper shroud AA's or an upwards of 35k backstabs pre-Feb patch. I even have doubts you ever even saw a backstab exceed 25k before the patch.

@Skada.1362 said:

@"NuhDah.9812" said:Also you'll usually encounter fairly experienced people using thief, since it's not that easy of a profession to handle as a beginner. You can't expect to be able to beat experienced players after 2 weeks.

For years i never understood why people always said this about Thief specifically, like it's some sort of "master" class. Thief is one of the most beginner friendly classes in the entire game, especielly if you pick Daredevil. It has no confusing mechanics or traits like say, Herald, no requirement to swap kits and attunements back and forth to perform well like Engi or Ele, you don't really need to swap weapons even or manage cooldowns at all even, thanks to how initiative works and most of your abilities are tab target. I always recommend new gw2 players to pick Thief since it's a selfish (in a good way) class with easy to understand and execute mechanics.

But yeah, regarding experienced players, i get what you're saying but that goes for any class and any build really. Thief main btw.

and these are the thiefs that triple dodge port away and think they have won the fight by leaving then when u wreck them they get very salty cus people like u said just dodge and port away when shit hits the fan :D.

tbh i have pretty much all classes and they are all equally easy to play what u need is find a class u enjoy playing then just play it and u will get good u cant play a class cus its "easy" while u dont enjoy it..like guardian is quite good now but i freaking hate guardian dragonhunter firebrand i just cant stand playing these classes while its piss easy to dump ur symbols on node and just bunker it up but it gives no joy so i go do other shit that i shouldnt be doing then i get punished and i die like a tool. meaning the class is bad? yes in my hand but not in one hand who enjoys playing it. same with thief a guy who just doesnt enjoy class will never shine at it.

as for guy in with screenshots i doubt u can hit for 15k the guy hits u for 1k rapid fire while rapid fire will down u as thief on full zerk and even then i dont do these crits and yes i do play with CS also

seeing that the guy hits like a wet noodle and u hit like a truck he either had all his armor destructed or old screenshot or up scaled toon.backstab dmg is nerfed into the oblivion

@jgeezz.7832 said:With all the changes to Thief's it is officially broken.and this is OK. There is no any point to boost it. Otherwise we need more nerf to make thief more elitare class. Nerf and boost exist also and for prevent swap class to other if we have it to much. Thiefs should be rare by design, this is nor ranger or etc. So it it is ok thant ranger can easy kill thief.

@lare.5129 said:

@jgeezz.7832 said:With all the changes to Thief's it is officially broken.and this is OK. There is no any point to boost it. Otherwise we need more nerf to make thief more elitare class. Nerf and boost exist also and for prevent swap class to other if we have it to much. Thiefs should be rare by design, this is nor ranger or etc. So it it is ok thant ranger can easy kill thief.

In english please? If I understand correctly you are saying thief players should be rare... why? Makes absolutely no sense. In a healthily balanced game, all classes should be played (about) as much.