In-game info on legendary crafting

Cuks.8241

I'm crafting my first legendary, Astralaria. I've finished the collection, got the precursor and gift of cosmos. Up until now, I managed to get all the info on the collection and crafting that comes with it in-game, either from Hobbs or other npcs, recipes, achievement/collection descriptions or from in-game mail. From here on I can't find any info on what to do next in-game. The last mail from Hobbs said that for the next steps I should visit Myani. But she only sells the recipe for Gift of metal.

Is there a way to continue with in-game information or the only source is wiki or some other external source? I like to do stuff on my own with the info I have available from the game. At least the books that you buy from Hobbs (e.g. Astralaria IV) could detail the required following steps but they are only trophy items, no content.

I'm not sure if there are any in-game sources that actually detail the next steps...

Since they rely on recipe-less Mystic Forge crafts (Hence "Visit Myani")...

If the final craft had a recipe... Then you'd actually be able to see what to do, since the description of the items you need to make tell you what you need to do...

As it is right now, you get to see the description that tells you what you need to do, AFTER you do it and make the item...

@Cuks.8241 said:[snip]Is there a way to continue with in-game information or the only source is wiki or some other external source? I like to do stuff on my own with the info I have available from the game. At least the books that you buy from Hobbs (e.g. Astralaria IV) could detail the required following steps but they are only trophy items, no content.

The wiki is by players for players. Yes you can continue working only using within-game information as that's how the requirements were figured out originally, to put into the wiki.

I'll be honest, not using the wiki, especially if this is your first legendary, will make things very difficult and expensive.

The original idea was always for players to experiment in what might be required, figuring out mystic forge recepies on the way. All legendary items follow a specific patter of needing item XYZ, which in turn all are composed of recurring materials (minor 30 day login spoiler ahead)

! like how the 30 day log in chest gives Mystic Clovers and Obsidian Shards, both of which are required in pretty much every legendary

Not having crafted a legendary before will put you at a disadvantage here.

Not to discourage you, but this could get quite expensive. You could always ask for general help or pointers from others, then try to figure out recipes on your own.

Yeah the original legendaries were designed as a kind of scavenger hunt. Early on there were lots of topics on the forum with players finding bits of different ones and figuring out how they went together, as well as experimenting with mystic forge recipes to create new items. The gen 2 legendaries were easier, because they followed the same general pattern as the first ones, but there was still a fair bit of figuring out what went with what and where it came from.

I'm not sure how you'd do that on your own, I think it would involve a lot of trial and error which could end up being quite expensive and time consuming.

For what it's worth my thinking has always been that this is a multi-player game, so getting help from other players is part of the game, and that includes the Wiki since it's written entirely by players.

I already got the axe, used wiki for the info. I thought the mystic forge recipes were initially posted by Anet somewhere. I like the fact that these were "hidden" recipes that the community had to figure out. That's actually cool in these days of gaming when usually everything is detailed to the player who just needs to follow the lines on the map.