Server lag

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s primarily an EU issue. Your best bet is to do an /ip for any maps that you’re having issues with and use the ip(s) to run a traceroute and/or pingplotter. You then give this data to Anet. With enough people doing this, they should be able to determine if it’s the servers, the ISP, a player’s setup, or perhaps a combination.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If a VPN is helping, it is likely taking a different path to the servers, and using a different Tier 1 backbone, which is quite often the source of these kinds of issues.

for OCE, most ISP uses the route that goes up through Asia Pacific to Asia then onto Euro, then to NA east coast, the premium route that crosses the pacific directly to the NA west coast are usually used by business, which some VPN uses

i think maybe we OCE players would have better experience if we just play on the EU servers rather than NA

Do you know of anyone who has done this, or has anyone here done this, to confirm it reduces the lag for those of us in OCX/SEA?

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If a VPN is helping, it is likely taking a different path to the servers, and using a different Tier 1 backbone, which is quite often the source of these kinds of issues.

for OCE, most ISP uses the route that goes up through Asia Pacific to Asia then onto Euro, then to NA east coast, the premium route that crosses the pacific directly to the NA west coast are usually used by business, which some VPN uses

i think maybe we OCE players would have better experience if we just play on the EU servers rather than NA

Do you know of anyone who has done this, or has anyone here done this, to confirm it reduces the lag for those of us in OCX/SEA?

Haven't tested with GW2, but from my past experience working with a client of mine that was expanding into UK and US market, I had better connection remoting into the client's UK data centre than US's data centre, I had to ask the client to create a jump box on the UK data centre to get a more stable to the US data centre

remember there was a massive outage for OCE players during the world events before HOT release? that was due to a routing centre in Europe, Sweden if I remember correctlysome players posted on the forum said they managed get around it using a VPN

@"crepuscular.9047" said:[snip]remember there was a massive outage for OCE players during the world events before HOT release? that was due to a routing centre in Europe, Sweden if I remember correctlysome players posted on the forum said they managed get around it using a VPN

I think I took a break from the game about that time - I remember being "dragged into" Silverwastes, which had just come out, by an ingame mate, having not done the story and running blindly with them, thinking flippin heck. I may have missed that lag period.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this problem has been a thing for a while, and it's still here?

This is ridiculous, I thought it might have just been me, but I run other online games smoothly with 90 ping at most, and even GW 2 the highest I've ever experienced until PoF maps, is 120, which isn't terrible.

But I agree, when there's a 3 second delay in between my movements/skills/anything I'm doing, I'm pretty much going to rate the game unplayable.

Definitely not telling any of my friends to get PoF until this is fixed. Clearly, it's not a "Player Problem", but something Anet hasn't seemed to fix since February ffs....

• 1 month later...

@"Humor.5763" said:Wow, this problem has been a thing for a while, and it's still here?

This is ridiculous, I thought it might have just been me, but I run other online games smoothly with 90 ping at most, and even GW 2 the highest I've ever experienced until PoF maps, is 120, which isn't terrible.

But I agree, when there's a 3 second delay in between my movements/skills/anything I'm doing, I'm pretty much going to rate the game unplayable.

Definitely not telling any of my friends to get PoF until this is fixed. Clearly, it's not a "Player Problem", but something Anet hasn't seemed to fix since February kitten....

Its not just pof but core and hot aswell every map is lagging to lvls of unplaybility even fractals lagg and dungeons

It is really really lag right now, I am from SEA and normally the ping is 200ish and I consider that fine, but the ping has spiked to 4k and averages at 600-1k. WP takes 2mins to execute.Can you please help check and fix your servers if there is something wrong?

@daath.1725 said:It is really really lag right now, I am from SEA and normally the ping is 200ish and I consider that fine, but the ping has spiked to 4k and averages at 600-1k. WP takes 2mins to execute.Can you please help check and fix your servers if there is something wrong?

Yeah me too, I usually can play with 200 ping (180-210) but it was insane trying to play with 600 as media and lag spikes with 1k ping, I thought it was only me until I found people dead in the map and asked them thinking they died because the same reason I did... and came here to check if this was an already reported issue from maintainance or something like that

• 6 months later...

@mrDaFrog.7894 said:I have same issue. I quit the game few months ago after getting severe lagging. Just came back to check if its good now... Still same. Game is pretty much unplayable.

I am quite surprised that you are continuing to experience lag. I have been in the same maps as recently as last week and found that the lag was not present, although I do admit it was outside of peak hours.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with the support team. They are quite helpful and thorough.

@Donutdude.9582 said:

@"mrDaFrog.7894" said:I have same issue. I quit the game few months ago after getting severe lagging. Just came back to check if its good now... Still same. Game is pretty much unplayable.

I am quite surprised that you are continuing to experience lag. I have been in the same maps as recently as last week and found that the lag was not present, although I do admit it was outside of peak hours.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with the support team. They are quite helpful and thorough.

No surprise at all, the problem on EU server has reappered recently: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/126805/eu-connectivity-issues#latest