Game stops responding when exiting

Hello,

So in the last few days, everytime I exit GW2 (using the exiting to desktop option) the game will sometimes stop responding, i get back to my desktop, but the mouse cursor is still the one from the game, and I can't press anywhere.I can bring task manager where I see GW2 is not responding, but I can't press anything, forcing to either end session on windows or rebboting,I've already used the repair function but it didn't solve the problem.Any ideas what this might be?Thanks.

@"Rujon.2850" said:Hello,

So in the last few days, everytime I exit GW2 (using the exiting to desktop option) the game will sometimes stop responding, i get back to my desktop, but the mouse cursor is still the one from the game, and I can't press anywhere.I can bring task manager where I see GW2 is not responding, but I can't press anything, forcing to either end session on windows or rebboting,I've already used the repair function but it didn't solve the problem.Any ideas what this might be?Thanks.

What windows version are you running? Use "winver" (command to show windows version) in Windows Start and type winver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2MQX0IuO2Q

MS might have downloaded different updates even if we would know which version you are running, so this is just to know if you have updated to v2004 or run an older version.

Also as general rule install or copy and pasty your GW2 folder to a folder outside of <C:\Program Files> that are default for all apps that are installed that isn't Windows OS apps or part of OS as this might happen that MS Windows 10 prevent files to be written to app (part of MS security which use some kind of algorithm to prevent malicious apps to do any changes). Create a new folder and place all content from GW2 into that folder instead (check how much space you need as copy and paste will need double space until you have made copy in the other folder). I couldn't find Support side to show you how to move client to another computer or folder (it is the same method).

From what you describe it sounds that your computer are crashing when you exit GW2 client as it can't finish and close client properly. GW2 make use of video driver, audio driver and DirectX (built into MS Windows) and drivers from output device like mouse and key boards. When apps like GW2 closes it also need release those devices. Most likely it is related to video card driver. I would try to see if there are any new updates on any of these drivers or devices.

Here is a link with sub part (collapsed with only title showing) on how clear out your cache from client, but you will maybe need to re-download parts of client after clearing out cache.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client

Tracking through logs created by Event Viewer (MS Windows 10 built in app) might not work as it seem that what is happening is in the end of GW2 closing, but it worth a try. Look up how to set up logging from Event Viewer in MS Windows 10.

That is what I think of for now to help solve this. I had issues like this myself and it is impossible to know what can cause it as it seem to be depending on patches for GW2 and updates (drivers and MS Windows 10), so don't go in panic that is your hardware that are failing.

It most likely that some patches and updates create unexpected situation which trigger this. If you can't use where you either can go directly to Desktop (it will close client in full and not bring up UI with user ID and password to log in like log out option does) or bring up option where you can only go to log out or go to character screen and pick log out option (button) from there without issues? Or use Task Manager when you can't close app while running it without creating a crash and right click on GW2_x64.exe to close it? MS Windows should run each app independent from OS as far as possible and that way prevent a full stop of any apps crash for some reason. That is why using Task Manager might help until there have been a new patch, update to possible driver issues or MS Windows 10 update that might solve this issue.

Good luck