[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.

For the same experience, you can add GW2 as a non-steam game to your Steam library, as I have.

But will there be Steam achievements and badges for GW2?

@"Messier.2671" said:I still don't get it on why we can't play with our accounts on steam... well, whoever came up with this, he or she wasn't in a really bright day. Hope the staff change their minds on this so we can buy future expansions and gems through the steam store.

So you don't buy future expansions and gems on steam, is why. That's 30% of your money going to Valve instead of Arena Net/NC Soft.I wish I could login with my steam account as well, but I get why they are doing it. They are adding the game to steam to earn more money, not lose 30% from their veteran players.You could argue the game could potentially earn more with everyone on steam, if the game landed in "top f2p" games on steam and stayed there. Great free advertising, but that's a gamble I don't think they're willing to take

@jokke.6239 said:

@"Messier.2671" said:I still don't get it on why we can't play with our accounts on steam... well, whoever came up with this, he or she wasn't in a really bright day. Hope the staff change their minds on this so we can buy future expansions and gems through the steam store.

So you don't buy future expansions and gems on steam, is why. That's 30% of your money going to Valve instead of Arena Net/NC Soft.I wish I could login with my steam account as well, but I get why they are doing it. They are adding the game to steam to earn more money, not lose 30% from their veteran players.You could argue the game could potentially earn more with everyone on steam, if the game landed in "top f2p" games on steam and stayed there. Great free advertising, but that's a gamble I don't think they're willing to take

Yeah, you have a good point. The good thing on steam are the regional prices, it would be nice to have a way to buy it from there, but well, we can't always get everything we want.

Do we have any new information on how this will work? You're THIS close to release (about a month away), I think now's the time to give us some info.

As an existing player I just want the ease of use by having the game in my Steam library permanently (personally I hate manually adding non-Steam games to library, hunting for banners, icons, etc.) I'd like to be able to download the client from Steam, and then log-in with my old accounts manually (either via command-line argument/config file or via the Gw2.exe launcher). Since GW2 has free-to-play account creation, I assume that downloading the client should be possible, just not sure how login will work.

I don't care about buying future expansions on Steam, or converting accounts, or using any single sign-ons from Steam. The payment method is not a material difference to me, and the current client already saves your username/password. What's the difference? If that's what's in store for new Steam players I think that's cool, but for me personally I'm happy to use the in-game store or anet store like it has always worked. Just let me login with a Steam client.

My group of 3 have been trying lots of games (thanks to COVID) and deleting & redownloading games is very common. Having it in Steam just makes life 3 minutes easier. (Yes we'll literally give up if there's a "3 minute hurdle" because it tends to snowball). Relevent story:

FF14 made it very difficult to figure out how to even create accounts and login to play. We found out it let us play free with the first expac we thought that was amazeballs so we tried to sign up on 2 separate occasions, 1st time failed because some of us had FF14 1.0 Beta accounts or couldn't download the client due to network glitches. Few weeks later, 2nd time worked but only after I got us to use fresh email addresses, to make fresh accounts. When we got it all set up and working we ended up quitting within the first hour once we found out we couldn't even party together (THIS INFO should've been on the Steam storefront page. The description even actually says the opposite lol "Form a party and adventure with multitude of players" HAHAHA... /cry). I hope GW2 isn't trying the same thing. Seriously please don't make it hard to sign up or add too many hurdles to play together or OMIT information about any f2p limitations from Steam.

@Widmo.3186 said:Cool move, but still...

@Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Is there a limit of foolishness from ANet side? Cant you act like a normal company, like kakao games which moved to steam with BDO and allowed ppl to log-in through steam? No? I ask for too much?

You couldn't be more wrong about BDO lmao.

They NEVER allowed people to migrate to steam, at any point in time. Steam and the original accounts were always seperate. You cant login through Steam if you bought the game through the website. Basically you cant migrate and neither you can login through steam with your non-steam account or viceversa

Please don't call others fools before getting your facts straight.

On my HDD I have (sitting at 47.9GB).-addons-bin64-gw2.dat-gw2.tmp-gw2-64-gw2-64.tmp-thirdpartysoftwarereadme

I haven't been able to install on my SSD because of the issue. I found the original problem which was a dupe in the addons folder. But when installing or copying to the SSD the space will reserve the GB needed for the file (in the case of cut-paste) and slowly eat the storage, or it will quickly eat the space (when fresh downloading).

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:On my HDD I have (sitting at 47.9GB).-addons-bin64-gw2.dat-gw2.tmp-gw2-64-gw2-64.tmp-thirdpartysoftwarereadme

I haven't been able to install on my SSD because of the issue. I found the original problem which was a dupe in the addons folder. But when installing or copying to the SSD the space will reserve the GB needed for the file (in the case of cut-paste) and slowly eat the storage, or it will quickly eat the space (when fresh downloading).

Interesting. Seems like it might be a SSD only problem. I might also consider re-installing GW2 on my SSD in the future, so if indeed this is a problem it would be nice if it is fixed.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:On my HDD I have (sitting at 47.9GB).-addons-bin64-gw2.dat-gw2.tmp-gw2-64-gw2-64.tmp-thirdpartysoftwarereadme

Interesting. Seems like it might be a SSD only problem. I might also consider re-installing GW2 on my SSD in the future, so if indeed this is a problem it would be nice if it is fixed.

SSD, 48gb here.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

SSD, 48gb here.

Nice, I guess it will be fine for me to download again onto my SSD then.

Not sure why the OP is having a problem installing on their SSD then. I assume that you only need the required 48 GB of space free on the SSD to be able to download and install the files, unless there is some compression done of the game files after installation?

Does this issue also occur with other files and games on your SSD, or is it only GW2 (even after re-downloading/re-installing)?

If it's only with GW2 and you haven't already, you might want to submit a ticket through the official support link at the top of this page, because only Anet will know exactly how the installation process occurs and where problems may potentially happen.

@Atomos.7593 said:

SSD, 48gb here.

Nice, I guess it will be fine for me to download again onto my SSD then.

Not sure why the OP is having a problem installing on their SSD then. I assume that you only need the required 48 GB of space free on the SSD to be able to download and install the files, unless there is some compression done of the game files after installation?

BTW You don't need to download it again. You can just move the gw2 folder and all its contents to a folder on your SSD, update your desktop shortcuts to point to the new location and it should work fine.