Link servers not region bound for WvW [Suggestion]

SweetPotato.7456

Due to the lack of players at certain time zome, WvW can be very difficult for certain group of players who is running around alone and getting chase down by a 50 players zerg. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to play 24/7. No one wants to play 24/7 either, I tried it during the lockdown, log in long hours will kill your computer, it's not a good thing. Other players need to filled in in this cooperative game mode, there are things need to be upkeep and objective needed to be defended. When you log into WvW and find that no one is around to help or play with, you will mostly just watch a keep that took 10+ hours to get a waypoint smooshed and flipped to another color and it is not fun at all.

So where are we going to filled that gap?

Link servers not region bound for WvW
IE: link EU server with NA host and vice versa. That's where the population gap fillers are!

Technically not possible afaik, EU and NA region are split by the account server I think.

Also whats this supposed to accomplish? Instead of you being zerged down by 50 man zerg, you are sentencing others to be zerged down by 50 man zergs. Because thats whats going to happen in the EU particularly due to the narrow range of timezones. Enjoy your 50 man NA night zergs that will have nothing to fight unless the enemy have all NA links. Same with EU primetimers joining when NA is out to lunch. Except you cant give everyone a link from respective region, theres not enough links.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Technically not possible afaik, EU and NA region are split by the account server I think.

Also whats this supposed to accomplish? Instead of you being zerged down by 50 man zerg, you are sentencing others to be zerged down by 50 man zergs. Because thats whats going to happen in the EU particularly due to the narrow range of timezones. Enjoy your 50 man NA night zergs that will have nothing to fight unless the enemy have all NA links. Same with EU primetimers joining when NA is out to lunch. Except you cant give everyone a link from respective region, theres not enough links.

If you don't know what this is suppose to accomplished, your scenario of players getting zerg down is at best speculative.

taking players from x time zone to link up with servers that needs players during that x time zone is at least non speculative.

@ASP.8093 said:So your proposal is that we punish everyone on a link server by increasing their ping a bunch.

If you lag, you lag , there's nothing anyone can help you with, sometime I lag, sometime I don't .. it is the way it is, if this can be a fix for population problem, I'd take it, because lag is going to be there no matter

It could work in some instances but say a Full NA linked w a Med EU vs A Med NA linked w a Full EU would still result in unbalanced situations over more of the day. You see this nonsense now w SoS and JQ because for w/e reason they have huge zergs when most are in bed or at work and own everything. Same w BB in certain matchups. Then throw in transfers and you just made this worse nvm the complaint we hear in EU with 2 servers who speak different languages now in the NA side to.

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Technically not possible afaik, EU and NA region are split by the account server I think.

If you don't know what this is suppose to accomplished, your scenario of players getting zerg down is at best speculative.

taking players from x time zone to link up with servers that needs players during that x time zone is at least non speculative.

@ASP.8093 said:So your proposal is that we punish everyone on a link server by increasing their ping a bunch.

If you lag, you lag , there's nothing anyone can help you with, sometime I lag, sometime I don't .. it is the way it is, if this can be a fix for population problem, I'd take it, because lag is going to be there no matter

Lag isn't the same as high ping. Lag comes and goes, but having a 400 ping constantly will kill the game for a lot of twitch builds. Organising servers in such a way so that kind of ping is unavoidable even though the server is in the same area as you doesn't seem smart. Add to that the fact that it won't actually fix anything because of the time zone/link issues explained above, and the whole thing looks a little pointless.

Playing on inter-continental servers enforces a substantial minimum latency on all traffic (signal speed in cable is about 0.6c; distance between California and London is about 5000 miles; feel free to do your own round-trip-time calculation -- that's a physical minimum before any actual limitations imposed by network topology).

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@SweetPotato.7456 said:taking players from x time zone to link up with servers that needs players during that x time zone is at least non speculative.

... are you saying EU
need
multiple 50+ man NA primetime zergs while its in the middle of the night in EU?

are you saying there is no one playing during NA primetime on EU servers? < this is exactly why it needs to be filled up with a server that has that missing time zone players, i am not saying match against, it LINK with, redistributing the players population so that there is no down time in WvW.

@Vavume.8065 said:

@SweetPotato.7456 said:Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to play 24/7.

Playing 24/7 is not a luxury... it's a deathwish.

Understand what you saying, my laptop is half dead now due to over playing during lock down,

But what I meant to say was because people do not play 24/7, when they do, (cos they dont play 24/7) it is good to have people around to play with in WvW instead always logging into an empty server and can't do anything in WvW but getting hunted.

@ASP.8093 said:

Playing on inter-continental servers enforces a substantial
minimum
latency on all traffic (signal speed in cable is about 0.6c; distance between California and London is about 5000 miles; feel free to do your own round-trip-time calculation -- that's a
physical minimum
before any actual limitations imposed by network topology).

not sure what you are trying to calculate here, but i think both EU and NA servers are in the US.

Austin TXAll NA servers are in Austin TX.FrankfortEU servers are in Frankfort. NA in Virginia, or wherever they moved to on the East Coast.

Source Reddit

@Jilora.9524 said:It could work in some instances but say a Full NA linked w a Med EU vs A Med NA linked w a Full EU would still result in unbalanced situations over more of the day. You see this nonsense now w SoS and JQ because for w/e reason they have huge zergs when most are in bed or at work and own everything. Same w BB in certain matchups. Then throw in transfers and you just made this worse nvm the complaint we hear in EU with 2 servers who speak different languages now in the NA side to.

are there no low population server on the EU Servers?

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

@SweetPotato.7456 said:taking players from x time zone to link up with servers that needs players during that x time zone is at least non speculative.

... are you saying EU
need

are you saying there is no one playing during NA primetime on EU servers? < this is exactly why it needs to be filled up with a server that has that missing time zone players, i am not saying match against, it LINK with, redistributing the players population so that there is no down time in WvW.

Yes, exactly. EU doesn't need 50+ man popping up for a server when litterally noone plays. As most in EU play around the same timezones, the matchups during specific hours have same-ish amount of people on all 3 servers. You could call that balanced. if you introduce players that play 5 hours earlier/later, it would throw the balance off.

@Humlet.1365 said:

... are you saying EU
need

Yes, exactly. EU doesn't need 50+ man popping up for a server when litterally noone plays. As most in EU play around the same timezones, the matchups during specific hours have same-ish amount of people on all 3 servers. You could call that balanced. if you introduce players that play 5 hours earlier/later, it would throw the balance off.Well not 5 hours earlier. And not only 5 hours later. NA prime from east to west would be around 6-9 hours later than EU prime (+-1h) which is... in the middle of the kitten night and very early morning.

So again, literally sentencing NA link servers to fight themselves, fight nothing at all or zerg down tiny groups of nightcappers.

Some servers already have an oversea community that night cap in EU. I've seen several servers muster 50+ blobs across all 3 maps after midnight. What ensues is generally a creeping repainting of all maps, until morning comes, and the inexorable task of retaking everything start at 6-7am. It's more annoying than anything else.

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

not sure what you are trying to calculate here, but i think both EU and NA servers are in the US.

Austin TXAll NA servers are in Austin TX.FrankfortEU servers are in Frankfort. NA in Virginia, or wherever they moved to on the East Coast.

Source Reddit

It was Frankfurt (Germany) and not Frankfort (USA), don't know, if it's still Frankfurt, but the ping is about the same as it was back then.So this change would be a huge ping-increase for many EU-players.

@Schimmi.6872 said:

Source Reddit

It was Frankfurt (Germany) and not Frankfort (USA), don't know, if it's still Frankfurt, but the ping is about the same as it was back then.So this change would be a huge ping-increase for many EU-players.I also question whether the servers are in Austin. For starters I believe they where originally in Dallas, not Austin. But now they are in the AWS cloud. Frankfurt and Dallas still have AWS datacenters I think.

@"SweetPotato.7456" said:Due to the lack of players at certain time zome, WvW can be very difficult for certain group of players who is running around alone and getting chase down by a 50 players zerg. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to play 24/7. No one wants to play 24/7 either, I tried it during the lockdown, log in long hours will kill your computer, it's not a good thing. Other players need to filled in in this cooperative game mode, there are things need to be upkeep and objective needed to be defended. When you log into WvW and find that no one is around to help or play with, you will mostly just watch a keep that took 10+ hours to get a waypoint smooshed and flipped to another color and it is not fun at all.

IE: link EU server with NA host and vice versa. That's where the population gap fillers are!

"link EU server with NA host and vice versa.'

Anet said "no". Sorry.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

: will it be possible to TEMPORARILY guest for free cross-region, to allow us at least a temporary way to play at least PVE with friends cross-region?
: No that won't be possible - guesting allowed your "current world" to change but didn't do anything with the location of your data - Europe or North America. We have talked about what it would take to play in Europe and have your data in NA (for example) but the cables under the Atlantic are just not robust enough to have reliable database saves across continents.

: I remember changing servers instantly in GW1, how that was possible then? Different system all together?
: In Guild Wars character data /is/ actually transferred across the Atlantic and it was a huge source of downtime and disconnects for EU players. It wasn't fair at all and so for Guild Wars 2 we decided it was a better trade-off to have reliable service on the same continent even if that limited the ability to play together somewhat.

: curious, just how large is an average players character data?
: I'm not sure that's something we've ever told anyone. Also ... it's a bit hard to say, since it goes through a lot of bit twiddling and compression before it gets to the database. It's super-optimized because the database servers are a very significant cost and we don't (and haven't ever) charged a monthly fee.

And

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7uet5l/world_vs_world_restructuring/dtjseun/

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"SweetPotato.7456" said:Due to the lack of players at certain time zome, WvW can be very difficult for certain group of players who is running around alone and getting chase down by a 50 players zerg. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to play 24/7. No one wants to play 24/7 either, I tried it during the lockdown, log in long hours will kill your computer, it's not a good thing. Other players need to filled in in this cooperative game mode, there are things need to be upkeep and objective needed to be defended. When you log into WvW and find that no one is around to help or play with, you will mostly just watch a keep that took 10+ hours to get a waypoint smooshed and flipped to another color and it is not fun at all.

Anet said "no". Sorry.

Why is this Anet person claiming the EU servers are overseas? when on reddit they themself confirmed both NA and EU servers are infact on the US soil. and this representative is saying the data needs to travel under the sea? I am quite confused

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

@SweetPotato.7456 said:Due to the lack of players at certain time zome, WvW can be very difficult for certain group of players who is running around alone and getting chase down by a 50 players zerg. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to play 24/7. No one wants to play 24/7 either, I tried it during the lockdown, log in long hours will kill your computer, it's not a good thing. Other players need to filled in in this cooperative game mode, there are things need to be upkeep and objective needed to be defended. When you log into WvW and find that no one is around to help or play with, you will mostly just watch a keep that took 10+ hours to get a waypoint smooshed and flipped to another color and it is not fun at all.

Anet said "no". Sorry.

Why is this Anet person claiming the EU servers are overseas? when on reddit they themself confirmed both NA and EU servers are infact on the US soil. and this representative is saying the data needs to travel under the sea? I am quite confused

You didn’t read the earlier response of someone telling you that the data center for EU was located in Frankfurt Germany???

@Swagger.1459 said:

@SweetPotato.7456 said:Due to the lack of players at certain time zome, WvW can be very difficult for certain group of players who is running around alone and getting chase down by a 50 players zerg. Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to play 24/7. No one wants to play 24/7 either, I tried it during the lockdown, log in long hours will kill your computer, it's not a good thing. Other players need to filled in in this cooperative game mode, there are things need to be upkeep and objective needed to be defended. When you log into WvW and find that no one is around to help or play with, you will mostly just watch a keep that took 10+ hours to get a waypoint smooshed and flipped to another color and it is not fun at all.

Anet said "no". Sorry.

You didn’t read the earlier response of someone telling you that the data center for EU was located in Frankfurt Germany???No I did not , . So why that reddit post saying its in US In Virginia

FrankfortEU servers are in Frankfort. NA in Virginia, or wherever they moved to on the East Coast.Jan 12, 2018

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

Anet said "no". Sorry.

You didn’t read the earlier response of someone telling you that the data center for EU was located in Frankfurt Germany???No I did not , . So why that reddit post saying its in US In Virginia

FrankfortEU servers are in Frankfort. NA in Virginia, or wherever they moved to on the East Coast.Jan 12, 2018

1 is in the United States.

1 is in Germany.

Do you understand now?

@Swagger.1459 said:

Anet said "no". Sorry.

1 is in Germany.

Do you understand now?

frankfort virginia is in Kentucky.Germany's is Frankfurt.

But, you know what, I found my own answer, which is not very good for this suggestion , base on this, I don't think Anet will do this change.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World

from the wiki"Guesting: Guesting allows you to temporarily change your associated world, thus affecting one of the factors affecting which instance you are placed in. Players are not allowed to play for a different team in World versus World or to guest from NA to EU or vice versa. Due to the megaserver system, most players will never need to guest."

if we can't even guest crossed region, there a slim chance linking cross region gonna happened.

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

Anet said "no". Sorry.

1 is in Germany.

Do you understand now?

But, you know what, I found my own answer, which is not very good for this suggestion , base on this, I don't think Anet will do this change.

from the wiki"Guesting: Guesting allows you to temporarily change your associated world, thus affecting one of the factors affecting which instance you are placed in. Players are not allowed to play for a different team in World versus World or to guest from NA to EU or vice versa. Due to the megaserver system, most players will never need to guest."

if we can't even guest crossed region, there a slim chance linking cross region gonna happened.

“frankfort virginia is in Kentucky.”???

Virginia and Kentucky are 2 different states located in the United States ??

1 is in Virginia. Virginia is located in the United States ??

1 is in Frankfurt. Frankfurt is located in Germany ??

There is zero chance of linking cross region. The devs clearly explained why.

@Swagger.1459 said:

Anet said "no". Sorry.

1 is in Germany.

Do you understand now?

sure it's in Frankfurt and not in frankfort? It's basically the same, maybe you made a typo.on a serious note: why would eu servers be in germany? it would make way more sense to have them somewhere in NA don't you think?

@SweetPotato.7456 said:

Anet said "no". Sorry.

1 is in Germany.

Do you understand now?

The O in Frankfurt is a writing mistake, what your source actually meant is: EU-servers are in Frankfurt. NA(-Servers) are in Virginia.Otherwise EU-Servers would be useless, if they are located in the USA.

@Humlet.1365 said:

Anet said "no". Sorry.

1 is in Germany.

Do you understand now?

sure it's in Frankfurt and not in frankfort? It's basically the same, maybe you made a typo.on a serious note: why would eu servers be in germany? it would make way more sense to have them somewhere in NA don't you think?

Again.

1 is in the United States ??

1 is in Germany ??

That’s all you need to know and understand.