Minion mancers

They're finally fun to play again now that scourge was fixed. Won't be topping plat or anything, but they aren't totally worthless now and work great for capping (if spec'd for speed above threshold) with some decent tankiness, plus buffs for team fighting. And they annoy the shit out of people trying to kite away from a team fight. And for passively killing downed fighters, you can't go wrong with a pack of minions.

@Brimstone Jack.3462 said:They're finally fun to play again now that scourge was fixed. Won't be topping plat or anything, but they aren't totally worthless now and work great for capping (if spec'd for speed above threshold) with some decent tankiness, plus buffs for team fighting. And they annoy the kitten out of people trying to kite away from a team fight. And for passively killing downed fighters, you can't go wrong with a pack of minions.

Listen good. Would you share your build with me?

TY

@haenz.9578 said:

@"Brimstone Jack.3462" said:They're finally fun to play again now that scourge was fixed. Won't be topping plat or anything, but they aren't totally worthless now and work great for capping (if spec'd for speed above threshold) with some decent tankiness, plus buffs for team fighting. And they annoy the kitten out of people trying to kite away from a team fight. And for passively killing downed fighters, you can't go wrong with a pack of minions.

Listen good. Would you share your build with me?

TYIt's the Vallun scourge zoo build.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:Zoo necro....yes...I am occasionally guilty in indulging in this meme build in unranked. You won't climb past low-mid gold with it in ranked though.

Heh, I did. Is all I played aside from 2 games as a ranger and 1 as reaper, but I went all the way to Plat 2 with it (hit 1630 rank with it at one point a month ago). Was in the top 100 until yesterday when I foolishly left my games too long, thus hitting decay and went on a losing streak due to unfortunate matchmaking. Was still sitting in the top 160 or so last I checked, so not too bad considering it's a meme build more than anything. This season has been weird though so no doubt it won't be viable next round.

@Moonjelly.3742 said:

@ollbirtan.2915 said:Zoo necro....yes...I am occasionally guilty in indulging in this meme build in unranked. You won't climb past low-mid gold with it in ranked though.

Heh, I did. Is all I played aside from 2 games as a ranger and 1 as reaper, but I went all the way to Plat 2 with it (hit 1630 rank with it at one point a month ago). Was in the top 100 until yesterday when I foolishly left my games too long, thus hitting decay and went on a losing streak due to unfortunate matchmaking. Was still sitting in the top 160 or so last I checked, so not too bad considering it's a meme build more than anything. This season has been weird though so no doubt it won't be viable next round.

Interesting :) Mind sharing your version of the build?

@ollbirtan.2915 said:Interesting :) Mind sharing your version of the build?

It's the same as Vallun's build that was linked above, except I was switching between the Melandru and Dolyak runes depending if my game was up against heavy condi or just bursty power players. I found that little bit of extra healing from Dolyak really helped me out when dealing with holos and thieves, which were stacked in far more games than I ever want to see again.

I tried other setups but it didn't quite mesh together as well as I would have liked, and was only really viable with Scourge. It didn't work very well with reaper, and it doesn't with core from what I experienced. I'm sure in unranked those aren't terrible since that mode is the land of wonk when it comes to builds.

The biggest takeaway I got from playing this was; You have to be very careful on how you time everything, more so than other classes/builds. If you mess up even something so simple as popping bone minions at the right time, you get punished. Mashing keys with this build is such a no-no, which is so tempting if you are used to playing a normal scourge. It was a blast though, was so nice playing something that wasn't just the same 'meta' build as every other season.

@Moonjelly.3742 said:

@ollbirtan.2915 said:Interesting :) Mind sharing your version of the build?

It's the same as Vallun's build that was linked above, except I was switching between the Melandru and Dolyak runes depending if my game was up against heavy condi or just bursty power players. I found that little bit of extra healing from Dolyak really helped me out when dealing with holos and thieves, which were stacked in far more games than I ever want to see again.

I tried other setups but it didn't quite mesh together as well as I would have liked, and was only really viable with Scourge. It didn't work very well with reaper, and it doesn't with core from what I experienced. I'm sure in unranked those aren't terrible since that mode is the land of wonk when it comes to builds.

The biggest takeaway I got from playing this was; You have to be very careful on how you time everything, more so than other classes/builds. If you mess up even something so simple as popping bone minions at the right time, you get punished. Mashing keys with this build is such a no-no, which is so tempting if you are used to playing a normal scourge. It was a blast though, was so nice playing something that wasn't just the same 'meta' build as every other season.

True. I had very similar experience. And also tried so hard to make a minion build work for Reaper, but it just doesn't click whatever I try. I too tend to use Dolyak Rune more often than melandru. I tried out other runes, and had high hopes on Rune of Sanctuary, but it turned out to be very meh.