Tag Up - Question

EricRiot.9345

I Play on FA and we have some really good Commanders.

But lately the past two Friday rests we have not had a tag on for the first few hours on ebg.

So my question is, should anyone just tag up so that we can pull as a group or is it better to have no tag and everyone just free for all.

Sometimes I feel like tagging up just so we can concentrate our efforts. Yet I have zero experience on tagging or even the resources "scouts", "guild" (guild of two), "Discord" or even experience in "when to pull back" / "when to go all in".

Is a "Bad Tag" better then "No tag at all"?

Thoughts?

Thanks,-Eric

Tags let people see activity. So I’m more of a “tags are better than no tag.”

That’s of course a basic thing. If you want to learn how to be a good commander and tag up regularly...that’s where you can have some fun.

Tag up for an hour or so once a week. Get a discord to help with coordinating. Stay positive and keep your next target in mind so you can rotate if the enemy responds to your 7 man with 30.

@EricRiot.9345 said:

@"saerni.2584" said: Get a discord to help with coordinating.

Is there a general "Discord" gw2 group or something, is it called something? I have discord and I would LOVE to learn how to tag properly even if I don't ever do it. Knowledge is good.

How could you never have seen the FA discord advertised whenever Novahh tags up publicly?

"How could you never have seen the FA discord advertised whenever Novahh tags up publicly?"lol fair enough.. I just never thought about it.. but your right they say "Discord" this and that all the time. I never gave it much though. Wvw is just for fun not something that is super organized chuckles.. I guess I'm taking the turn from super casual to "Wanting to get involved."

@"EricRiot.9345" said:Is a "Bad Tag" better then "No tag at all"?If your server just consist of zerglings that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "initiative", yes.

You can do some simple testing on this. If you are reasonably close to prime yet there is a ~5 man enemy group that is dominating your home border while you call for defense and maybe like... 1 or 2 show up... and you repeat that several times in totally obvious enemy targets (such as the third time they take nc when going counter clockwise), then all you need to do to perform this test is to tag up. Don't say a word. Just tag up.

If within a minute or two there is suddenly 10-20 people standing around you, then you have your answer.

Personally I try to avoid tagging, because for some reason whenever I do that we always loose every minor objective on the map.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"EricRiot.9345" said:Is a "Bad Tag" better then "No tag at all"?If your server just consist of zerglings that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "initiative", yes.

You can do some simple testing on this. If you are reasonably close to prime yet there is a ~5 man enemy group that is
dominating
your home border while you call for defense and maybe like... 1 or 2 show up... and you repeat that several times in totally obvious enemy targets (such as the third time they take nc when going counter clockwise), then all you need to do to perform this test is to tag up. Don't say a word. Just tag up.

If within a minute or two there is suddenly 10-20 people standing around you, then you have your answer.

Personally I try to avoid tagging, because
for some reason
whenever I do that we always loose every minor objective on the map.

I like this post.

In general, a tag is better than no tag. Now some people may not like the quality of your play, but that's on them. It's a choice to follow a tag or not, and those that can't do anything without a tag have no right to complain. I also do not recommend tagging on Home BL on reset , as you are at the greatest disadvantage there, and it gets toxic the fastest.

In practical terms though, I would not tag on reset because it's generally the most chaotic and you have people doing their own thing on random builds, and fighting organized groups is going to be impossible. You should probably build up experience by tagging in quieter times and build up a following, or just get people you can rely on, before you think of going bigger. Zerglings run on morale, meaning they need to be fed constant shinies or they won't play. Every wipe will probably reduce your group by 1/3, and this is why pugmanders often play much more cautiously than a group that's out there for the challenge of it.

Tagging in general is far better if you're in a guild though. Not only will you get people actually wanting to tag, but you have the necessary support and can run closed if pugmanding frustrates you too much. If other commanders recognize you as a guild group, it's much more easier for them to work with you.

There might be hidden tags running around with a group or squad that you haven't seen run by yet. Voice comms seem a little more tight now where you have to be in squad to join voice or be in voice to join squad. I don't mind being on comms but I don't want to feel like I'm stuck or have my dot on the map get yelled at for not pushing with tag or whatever. I can read the surroundings or the map and commander and stay tight when I need to but I'm also going to follow my own nose and I'll move off tag to look around a lot.

I'd join a tag more if I knew it's not super serious and it's mostly floaters loosely working around each other to ping the map, alert targets, and place markers to gives heads up for anything. Running a casual but moving havoc squad might be a good way to start feeling out how to keep your calls in voice and chat simple and clear while also being encouraging and not rage blaming. Remember that sometimes a squad just runs out of gas and everyone slowly drifts off and sometimes the whole server joins you expecting to take keeps so be clear about what kind of squad or group you're trying to run at the moment.

If you are really worried about a lack of experience, ask one of your regular coms to shadow you while you tag. Quite a nice way to learn. Otherwise just go for it, not a huge fan of tagging myself, but there are times where no ones doing anything and I may pop it just to reclaimed stuff after one of the overpop off peak PPT servers took stuff.

I recently got the commander and catmander tags and will pop them on occasion to take a tower. I start as a closed group and type up a squad description making my experience level and goal clear. Then I make the squad public and go for my objective. People joining know immediately what they are getting into and can leave freely. No one has yelled at me yet ?

Tag is a rally point. Like the Civil war, they kept the color guard close to the commander. Your commander tag IS the color guard. Anyone on the field of battle will rally to that color guard/Commander Tag. You want to get things started, sometimes it's time to step forward and lead. Good or bad, at least you stepped up. You can win, you can lose. But it's better to have tried and lost than not have tried at all.