Help possible for PoF The Departing?

I'm trying to do "The Departing" and my poor necro with only lousy fully tricked out exotic gear [sarcasm intended] is not up to killing "The Eater of Souls". Poor me.I tried to restart it with someone in my party, but he disappeared after the Balthazar fight. Not too chatty this fellow, so I'm not clear on whether that's gonna be the way it is, or whether if he had stayed until I died and gone to the lost souls area, he would have joined me too.

Anybody know whether a party can do this story chapter or act or whatever it's called? Will party members join you in the Lost Souls area after you're killed by Balthy?And then we can all work on the rest of the fights together?Thanks a ton.Just trying to get my Griffon Mount after all.

Party members are able to help in a limited way for the second part of that mission.

There are two main strategies for Eater of Souls:

1. Break his bar right before he does his attack. This will finish the fight the quickest as you're able to wail on him big time while he's stunned from the bar break.
  2. Run like crazy away from him when he does his attack. He's very predictable so you could easily just watch a few times to see what it looks like before the big attack comes. Ranged weapons work best here as you can stay further way from him.

There's a third strategy of trying to trick the AI into getting him stuck somewhere he can't reach you that easily and going at him, but it can be tricky to get him into a spot like that.

Anything in your inventory directly you can access via the hero panel, so while you might not be able to repair, you should be able to swap gear sets or switch to a new armor should your armor start breaking.

If you're not good at bar breaking and just want to be done with the story instance, I'd go for strategy 2.

@"windyweather.1238" said:I'm trying to do "The Departing" and my poor necro with only lousy fully tricked out exotic gear [sarcasm intended] is not up to killing "The Eater of Souls". Poor me.I tried to restart it with someone in my party, but he disappeared after the Balthazar fight. Not too chatty this fellow, so I'm not clear on whether that's gonna be the way it is, or whether if he had stayed until I died and gone to the lost souls area, he would have joined me too.

Anybody know whether a party can do this story chapter or act or whatever it's called? Will party members join you in the Lost Souls area after you're killed by Balthy?And then we can all work on the rest of the fights together?Thanks a ton.Just trying to get my Griffon Mount after all.

Unfortunately, this is one boss where you're more or less on your own. The good news is that this guy isn't very difficult if you watch for the move he does and CC the breakbar to stun him. Here's a video of it:

You get a freebie at the start of the fight when his breakbar (the blue bar below the health bar) becomes vulnerable. Just hit him with a good stun (I used Gale in the video, which is a 3 second stun and seemed sufficient to instantly break the bar) and then deal as much damage as you can until he does it again. The fight is easier with a high damage build, but as long as you manage those breakbars you should be alright.

On Necro, warhorn 4 and flesh golem charge are your go-to CC's. Reaper also has great sword 5 and Scourge has torch 5. And, of course, any fear you can do is a CC as well as your other immobilizes and so forth. My advice would be go axe/warhorn and just stay back from him. When he charges, hit warhorn 5 for some extra speed to get far enough away he can't drain you (and heal himself), and then come back at him in shroud and just keep DPS-ing him if you fail to break his defiance bar. If you break the bar, just keep hammering on him. Also, run signet of the locust for more speed to escape him. Also, keep at least one stun-break on your utility bar to make sure you don't get stuck (which is just a good idea all around as far as I am concerned).