Writ of Persistence nerf took the rest of our damage and everyone will run now bunker builds

GuriGashi.5617

I don't know how nerfing Writ of Persistence is considered a 'sustain' nerf in ArenaNets eyes when no Guardian EVER used symbols for healing purposes but as last damage tool since our damage modifiers across the board were nerfed heavily. Instead of offering Guardians a way to ditch out damage other than using symbols and bring sustain down by making us run more offensive builds they literally have created an environment where all Guardians will run extremely defensive bunker builds which is excatly the opposite of what ArenaNet wanted to achieve with this 'balancing'. Shock Aura is being spammed by Tempests which make playing a frustrating experience, but symbols to do damage are the problem? How about taking the heal from them instead of taking away their radius? This whole nerf had 0 logical reason behind it.You will see the first full bunker, 0 damage Guards running around in no time

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people in the sPvP subforum complained that the area cover was to big, so they nerfed it (It's a ridiculous nerf, but whatever). Someone even came up with a ridiculous theory crafted build claiming that the build could inflict several tens of thousand of burn damage (It was as ridiculous an idea as this nerf).

If you want a logical reason, it's to ease the mind of those people that fear having a whole point in sPvP covered by 3-4 symbole for 6 whole seconds, hitting 5 foes that stay quietly within and proc'ing traited virtue of justice every 3 hits. (Even writing this unrealistic and impossible situation make me laugh at this nerf)

Well, on the bright side, all guard mains are now pigeonholed into....meme core burn build since it's probably the only build that can do damage now. Sustain has already been nonexistent for FB. DH is a niche glass cannon. Core now is even dumber than before. Good luck getting anywhere higher than mid gold with guard now. Guess it's time for me to abandon guard and embrace some ridiculous meme builds like zoo necro etc. Who cares now since pvp is beyond life support.

The funny thing is that this the whole point of the trait. And it has been the same since the game started. Anyone with remote knowledge of the game will understands that the issue is something else. And IMO if this is an attempt to nerf symbol spam, it does nothing. Nerf the 30% damage bonus in zeal...

Not even sure why you are trying to say this.Guardians were slowly shifting into bunker builds already and thats with the trait making symbols bigger now it just means you cant smash symbols down stand on them and expect them to be as effective as before.

But yah more and more guaridans i saw before this patch were already building more and more bunker/condi even starting to use mace's in their builds. Oh well.

@ZDragon.3046 said:Not even sure why you are trying to say this.Guardians were slowly shifting into bunker builds already and thats with the trait making symbols bigger now it just means you cant smash symbols down stand on them and expect them to be as effective as before.

But yah more and more guaridans i saw before this patch were already building more and more bunker/condi even starting to use mace's in their builds. Oh well.

Yes. And you know why this happened, right? FB was butchered in sustain - especially Heal mantra nerf which was kitten stupid. Boon duration / condi duration on other mantras besides cleansing was reduced to ONE second. Also, all healing coefficients were nerfed, but that could've been OK if the heal mantra hadn't been nerfed TWICE.So the only viable option after March 'patch' was to 'bunker down' with lazy core symbol, retal, burn build. And guess what - the Writ of Persistence nerf won't make guards less 'bunkerish' because the symbols were already healing for a laughable amount. This nerf just deleted last vestiges of damage that guard could deal , entirely erased FB in sPvP, and now everyone and their mother will be running the even more brainless core burn build. Guard has now officially no place in competitive play above low gold since it isn't good at anything. Well done CMC/ANET/forum warriors.

Honestly I've tried playing guard a few weeks ago and since day 2 had big success with it (core and fb, didn't play dh much). I might not be the best judge here, but it seemed to me too easy to play. So I've managed to have a big winrate with a class I was kinda new to pvp (I kinda main guard in pve tho). I wouldn't say that guard was op compared to other classes I play, but very easy to play. So in my head this nerf made it a lil more difficult to play as we should be more precise with symbol spam. Would be rather good to see other classes nerfed like this (necro for example).What about the survivability.. I kinda won't agree that firebrand has a bad survivability. My best plays with sage firebrand was when I was kiting 2-3 ppl with spamming f2 and f3 tomes twice, I was able to run whole map around with a whole squad on my tail with no mobility. It is maybe not how firebrand is supposed to play, but my enemies think otherwise sometimes when they get frustrated to not be able to kill a firebrand. And ofc sage firebrand can actually kill people.

@Armen.1483 said:Honestly I've tried playing guard a few weeks ago and since day 2 had big success with it (core and fb, didn't play dh much). I might not be the best judge here, but it seemed to me too easy to play. So I've managed to have a big winrate with a class I was kinda new to pvp (I kinda main guard in pve tho). I wouldn't say that guard was op compared to other classes I play, but very easy to play. So in my head this nerf made it a lil more difficult to play as we should be more precise with symbol spam. Would be rather good to see other classes nerfed like this (necro for example).What about the survivability.. I kinda won't agree that firebrand has a bad survivability. My best plays with sage firebrand was when I was kiting 2-3 ppl with spamming f2 and f3 tomes twice, I was able to run whole map around with a whole squad on my tail with no mobility. It is maybe not how firebrand is supposed to play, but my enemies think otherwise sometimes when they get frustrated to not be able to kill a firebrand. And ofc sage firebrand can actually kill people.

Your example of being chased by 3 people just shows the low skill level of your enemy team tbh. A decent team would first of all, not chase a bunker all around the map. Secondly, FB, especially Sage, is no way a bunker so a decent team focuses him/her and FB folds in a second.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

@Armen.1483 said:Honestly I've tried playing guard a few weeks ago and since day 2 had big success with it (core and fb, didn't play dh much). I might not be the best judge here, but it seemed to me too easy to play. So I've managed to have a big winrate with a class I was kinda new to pvp (I kinda main guard in pve tho). I wouldn't say that guard was op compared to other classes I play, but very easy to play. So in my head this nerf made it a lil more difficult to play as we should be more precise with symbol spam. Would be rather good to see other classes nerfed like this (necro for example).What about the survivability.. I kinda won't agree that firebrand has a bad survivability. My best plays with sage firebrand was when I was kiting 2-3 ppl with spamming f2 and f3 tomes twice, I was able to run whole map around with a whole squad on my tail with no mobility. It is maybe not how firebrand is supposed to play, but my enemies think otherwise sometimes when they get frustrated to not be able to kill a firebrand. And ofc sage firebrand can actually kill people.

Your example of being chased by 3 people just shows the low skill level of your enemy team tbh. A decent team would first of all, not chase a bunker all around the map. Secondly, FB, especially Sage, is no way a bunker so a decent team focuses him/her and FB folds in a second.

That is exactly why I wrote it here. Sage firebrand is no bunker and survives a lot that was my point. I wouldn't trash on my enemy team tho, ofc chasing like that is ridiculous, but it shows how ppl can rage when playing vs a firebrand. It was just to bear witness that it is not true that you can fold a sage fb in a second, you have to let him leave if you know his tomes and invuln are up. What about being bad, tilting and chasing: we have all benn there and done that many times, no need to be mean.

It is a major joke if we are honest, we don't have a single build left that can do damage outside of running full Trap DH, which is hot garbage. Tempests, Healbreakers, Scourges and Scrappers are on a defensive rampage in PvP but a trait that was used offensively was the problem - good job in nerfing sustain indeed. Firebrand got all it's sustain taken away, Core Symbol Guard got it's damage taken away - I hope the meta enjoys seeing full bunker, 0 damage Decap Core Guardians from now on. Never was a nerf more unlogical and more unjustified for this class. Take the heal from the trait, do whatever you want, but taking it's radius was absolutely the wrong solution

@Derm.4932 said:Symbol based gameplay is extremely low skill and unengaging. Very glad they nerfed this trait. Now they just need to bring back core guard and DH

So much logical fallacy here...Core Guard was the only semi viable build left that did OK damage and didn't act as a sitting duck on the node. NOW you will see much much more bunker guards that do no damage and are a pain to kill. Enjoy!

@Black Storm.6974 said:Writ of Persistence: In PvP only, this trait no longer increases the radius of symbols.

Please ArenaNet, don’t do that kind of split between game modes.

One-dodge Mirage says hello! It's a complete design failure when they split skills like that and it literally feels like you are playing completely different classes in PVE and PVP. Lazy, clueless, sloppy, and totally random 'napkin balance;. Ohh...also, very frequent as promised.

Y'all are going to hate me but I'm for this nerf. Symbol-based play is very boring and incredibly cancerous to fight against. With that being said, I don't approve of a straight-up nerf without a proper replacement.

As it stands, Honor is now pretty useless. This change reminds me of the old Staff auto change. Instead of implementing a proper change, they straight-up nerfed it without a proper replacement for months.

@"Arken.3725" said:Y'all are going to hate me but I'm for this nerf. Symbol-based play is very boring and incredibly cancerous to fight against. With that being said, I don't approve of a straight-up nerf without a proper replacement.

As it stands, Honor is now pretty useless. This change reminds me of the old Staff auto change. Instead of implementing a proper change, they straight-up nerfed it without a proper replacement for months.

I disagree. I was using Writ in my burn FB and burn DH because they were fun (I main Rev but Guardian was my main before and do play meme builds if I found them enjoyable), but lately I removed Honor in the FB due the heals werse so bad... I moved to Valor and changed most of my utilities to meditations and the gains in sustain and fun were isntantly evident. That was before this change: now Honor is entirely useless and in my DH I also removed it, currently testing either running Valor for the versatility or Radiand for the added damage. Anyway, summarizing: I now run a Firebrand which uses 0 mantras, and the spec moved from being a mandatory milestone in "serious" PvP to being "ok" to then being subpar in both sustain and damage, to the point you had to devote the entire build to be a healer/support to even andure in the battles. Now Writ of Persistence, which was the best symbol trait (and which ironically was placed outisde Zeal, the symbol-centered trailine which had 4 of the 6 symbol related traits) is just bland in a traitline filled with mediocricy.

I won't miss Writ due I don't need it to make my burn DH and FB to work, but is sad how hollow of significance the Firebrand is in PvP: weak, useless mantras with poor sustain, nerfed tomes which also require mender amulet just to stay alive, etc.

And I don't think that symbols were boring or cancerous: you can figth for minutes on top of them using a Tempest, a Scrapper or a bunker Jalis Revenant, because they weren't able to kill but the most glass cannon builds in the game.

But yeah, ok, let's the symbols sink in the mud, along with the hammer; let's keep bleeding players in all the game modes because the game is unable to make anything interesting with their classes nor the gameplay, aside from chopping things away...

That's the issue Buran, symbol-play was unfun and unhealthy for the game(pvp at least). You literally just spammed aoe's that were the same size at the points you were fighting on. Granted it wasn't the strongest(looks at holo), it was unhealthy and boring to use. This predicament stems from the problem that EVERY weapon has a symbol on it. With that, you're usually going to specialize into such a mechanic.

With the above-mentioned continuously getting nerfed(first the healing and then the size), the mechanic as a whole has been decimated. I feel like we should consider this a sign of a potential mechanic overhaul. Whether they completely redesign the mechanic and keep it the same across all weapons OR; each weapon now has their own unique skill(unclassified). I feel like the latter is less likely to happen as that would require them to redo EVERY trait that has to do with symbols.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

@Derm.4932 said:Symbol based gameplay is extremely low skill and unengaging. Very glad they nerfed this trait. Now they just need to bring back core guard and DH

So much logical fallacy here...Core Guard was the only semi viable build left that did OK damage and didn't act as a sitting duck on the node. NOW you will see much much more bunker guards that do no damage and are a pain to kill. Enjoy!

even full bunker guard is more engaging than spamming symbols lmao. doesn't really matter tho. your assertion that we will see a bunker guard epidemic is just straight up false. its a trash build for trash players that won't go anywhere, especially now that they lost significant counter pressure and sustain with writ nerf.

@Derm.4932 said:

even full bunker guard is more engaging than spamming symbols lmao. doesn't really matter tho. your assertion that we will see a bunker guard epidemic is just straight up false. its a trash build for trash players that won't go anywhere, especially now that they lost significant counter pressure and sustain with writ nerf.

That 'trash' symbol bunker was the only semi-viable build before nerf. Please tell me, what is not a brainless build then? Spamming traps?

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

That 'trash' symbol bunker was the only semi-viable build before nerf. Please tell me, what is not a brainless build then? Spamming traps?

i'm not about to argue with someone who thinks meditrapper/old core guard is on the same level of braindead as symbol spam. really not surprised you play symbol guard

@Derm.4932 said:

i'm not about to argue with someone who thinks meditrapper/old core guard is on the same level of braindead as symbol spam. really not surprised you play symbol guard

How can you make assumptions on what I play or used to play? Also, what makes you think I'm talking about meditrapper and not full trap trapper rune dh, or any other trap dh version? Please, get your facts straight before assuming anything. Thanks.