Minimum damage required for tagging

Helloween has started and that means farming the labyrinth. As thieves seem to always get the most loot, I decided to take my thief to the lab this year. I immediately noticed my shortbow dealing too much damage for others to get their hits in. As a solution I took a lvl 2 character to the PvP lobby and bought a white short bow. Now I'm no longer preventing other players from getting their hits in, but I'm also not getting any loot myself. Being in the squad and in the only subgroup of that squad did not help either. I did not get any loot as long as I was using that white low-lvl bow.

My question is: What is the minimum damage I should go for in order to get loot? I don't want to hit the mobs too hard since everyone should get a hit in, but I also don't want to miss out on any loot.

• Like 1

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@kajoken.1630 said:If you're on an organized map don't use any trinkets and switch to a different kind of gear if possible. I'm using Magi armor and SB for this.

I was mostly looking to only swap out the weapon. This means I can use a low-dps shortbow on most mobs and can weapon-swap to a high-dps weapon for the bosses.

Yeah, for that I have a zerker staff in the 2nd weapon set. If it's running smooth you only need a stronger weapon for Steve, since the other two get ignored.

@kajoken.1630 said:

@kajoken.1630 said:If you're on an organized map don't use any trinkets and switch to a different kind of gear if possible. I'm using Magi armor and SB for this.

I was mostly looking to only swap out the weapon. This means I can use a low-dps shortbow on most mobs and can weapon-swap to a high-dps weapon for the bosses.

Yeah, for that I have a zerker staff in the 2nd weapon set. If it's running smooth you only need a stronger weapon for Steve, since the other two get ignored.

This year all bosses give a stacking magic find buff. So I'm looking for maps that do all bosses.

The problem is that my low-dps weapon doesn't deal enough damage to tag mobs. I don't get any loot, not even on loot doors. There has to be some kind of breaking-point that you have to pass in order to get loot since simply tagging isn't enough.

Just go in with aoe to maximise tagging. Trying to find the threshold is impossible given mob hp varies and changes with scaling.

I use melee weapons like reaper great sword for max sweep. My thief only works if I use my staff

I get you are trying to be unselfish, but not everyone can tag every mob so just get a few hits in across as many mobs as you can and don’t overthink it

I use my focus&warhorn tempest with my tankier wvw set and build. Mostly use ligtning 1 which does around 300 - 400 dmg per tick. If I'm fast in switching I only do 1 or 2 ticks per mob. I avoid using my aoe if the group is behaving and not playing selfish and can tag pretty much all the mobs because travel time is 0. Now if people are playing selfish no problem because my aoe arsenal can kill anything in sight with super speed and teleports.

If your going to farm then definitely go for an organised map.

If you just hook up with randoms you'll just end up with glass canons blasting AoE and CC over and over and screwing the whole thing up for everyone.Still it's pretty funny when the Horror comes along and takes them all out in a single attack XD

Speaking of Horror he got some big buffs this year, he's hitting me a lot harder than the last time I fought him and he's taking much less damage.. almost as tanky as the Viscount used to be.. still soloable though but it's actually a challenge now with much higher risks if I screw up, so that's fun.The Viscount seems to have been nerfed though, he's nowhere near as tanky as he used to be and its much easier and quicker to solo him than previous years.. weird that.

@Teratus.2859 said:If your going to farm then definitely go for an organised map.

If you just hook up with randoms you'll just end up with glass canons blasting AoE and CC over and over and screwing the whole thing up for everyone.Still it's pretty funny when the Horror comes along and takes them all out in a single attack XD

Speaking of Horror he got some big buffs this year, he's hitting me a lot harder than the last time I fought him and he's taking much less damage.. almost as tanky as the Viscount used to be.. still soloable though but it's actually a challenge now with much higher risks if I screw up, so that's fun.The Viscount seems to have been nerfed though, he's nowhere near as tanky as he used to be and its much easier and quicker to solo him than previous years.. weird that.

I think something went awry with the new scaling. Viscount and Lich now scale better to group sizes. Horror seems to have been significantly buffed (which sort of fits his theme I guess).

Viscount is much easier to solo or due now (so long as people understand how the candy corn pool stacks work)

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:If your going to farm then definitely go for an organised map.

I think something went awry with the new scaling. Viscount and Lich now scale better to group sizes. Horror seems to have been significantly buffed (which sort of fits his theme I guess).

Viscount is much easier to solo or due now (so long as people understand how the candy corn pool stacks work)

Yea was surprised by it, normally Viscount tanks like a beast and it takes ages to whittle him down but he's pretty easy now.He seems to have been buffed in the damage department though specially when scaled by groups.Takes more damage but does more damage.. but he's pretty easy.

The Horror is just a beast now XD really tanky and hits like a train lmaoI can still solo it with my tanky MM build but it takes a while and if I screw up my healing and dodging he can rip that 30k hp off me very quickly so there's a whole new level of challenge there now which is fun ^^

Lich is still the only one I won't bother with solo due to the insane bleeds it can stack in a second or so XDHe feels easier in groups though than from past years but that just might be because of who's around fighting with me.Normally I see a lot more downed people when fighting him.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Yea was surprised by it, normally Viscount tanks like a beast and it takes ages to whittle him down but he's pretty easy now.He seems to have been buffed in the damage department though specially when scaled by groups.Takes more damage but does more damage.. but he's pretty easy.

Lich is still the only one I won't bother with solo due to the insane bleeds it can stack in a second or so XDHe feels easier in groups though than from past years but that just might be because of who's around fighting with me.Normally I see a lot more downed people when fighting him.

Yeah both of those are due to the changes they made this year as per the patch notes. I think the changes broke Horror though.

Either that or he rebelled and has gone on a rampage instead

@Randulf.7614 said:

Yeah both of those are due to the changes they made this year as per the patch notes. I think the changes broke Horror though.

Either that or he rebelled and has gone on a rampage instead

It would certainly fit lol

He is a giant psychotic Skeleton with a massive chainsaw sword after all XD

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:last time I checked the "rule" serious farmers use is simply remove trinkets and thats it.

Other than that you snooze you loose.

which most snobs don't follow

kicking them out of squad doesn't do anything since they don't get removed from the instance

Right. This isn’t a fractal, raid or strike. This is a fun run holiday group event for the newest noob to the oldest vet. There is no need to change your build. Play however you want. It is nice to not burn down the the targets fast so other can tag. simply pausing or slow button mashing.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

This year all bosses give a stacking magic find buff. So I'm looking for maps that do all bosses.

The problem is that my low-dps weapon doesn't deal enough damage to tag mobs. I don't get any loot, not even on loot doors. There has to be some kind of breaking-point that you have to pass in order to get loot since simply tagging isn't enough.It's not absolute value that counts, but percentage of damage dealt. As such, there's no "break point" you can aim for, as it is hoghly dependant on things like the size of your squad, and the gear other players in the victinity have.

According to the wiki page for "Participation" you need to do damage of 5-10% of the target's health to get participation/loot. I checked a couple of the small creatures, a spider and a skeleton, and they were taking around 15,000 to 16,000 to kill, so 1,500-1,600 to get 10% and ensure participation. This was me by myself, I don't know how scaling works, presumably it just gets higher. So the fellow squad member that told me "Anything over 400 is ripping off your squad mates" didn't have it quite right.