Who would be in for opening the armor options for all the classes?

Dantert.1803

Let's say it, with all the outfits around you can't tell the profession of the opponent by the look of it.Everybody looks at the tag or skills and there is always the option to switch to standard armor class models if someone needs it, so, just give us all the options!The best part of it is that Anet could create less but give everybody more. Let's say that they want to release 1 new armor set, they always need to release 3 different sets blocked by armor class... why not having instead 3 different armor sets that give much more options to the players?In the end if you like heavy armor on you warrior you can always opt for that choice, nothing will be taken!

For this, it doesn't matter what we want.

ANet has mentioned many times that the work to do this is too prohibitive to make it worth it.

Each weight has different meshes and they don't line up at all if you mix and match.

And while some would be fine with weeding through for the combos that don't clip horrendously, I would imagine many would as this game is often referred to as Fashion Wars.

So just keep that in mind and keep expectations at an appropriate level.

A lot of people would be for this.

However, it is just not possible to do. Since, the original way they went about creating the different armour weights was to use unique meshes for each weight.

This means, that even if they release a set that looks identical across the three weights (Such as the Hellfire/Radiant set) each armour weight will have items cut off at different points which helps them match with other items from their weight which are designed around these unique cutoff points.

The only way to actually implement this, is to remake EVERY item in the game using Outfits "4th Armour Weight", but not only would this be a monumental amount of work, but it would also end up with some items not looking right because they'd have to take the aforementioned "Identical" items and pick which one they will use for new armour weight which can lead to clipping issues for people already using them.

So yeah, while stuff like "Class identity" and "Immersion" are no longer factors holding back freedom of skin usage, there are mechanical issues that impede this which would require too much work to circumvent.

The only reason I would choose yes on this is because the medium armor is horrible for males... but pretty much required for females...

light and heavy armor is all skirts and buttflaps for females. Medium armor is all skirts and buttflaps for males.

Just...

wearing...

some...

freaking...

pants...

is...

seriously...

an...

issue...

in...

this...

game...

Yeah.. as others have said already the main problem with this is the armour meshing nightmare that it would cause.

You can already see this issue in game with mostly shoulder armour skins, ever noticed that some occasionally hover off the armour because they don't mesh well with the chest piece you have equipped?Well think of that but worse lol.

You'd have armour pieces severely clipping into others while others float off the model awkwardly etc.Basically the only way to make this work would be for Anet to go back and recreate every single piece of armour twice over for the other two armour weights.. that would take a massive amount of time and resources to do and a good number of armour pieces would probably need to be altered/changed.. cut down or stretched to fit on the other weight meshes.It's just not worth doing.

I didn't vote. I'd say "yes," but I'd settle for just shoulder, glove and boots being interchangeable. The meshing issues between the weights are really a problem with leg/torso interactions.

It's been my observation that even if an elementalist has heavy plate looking extremities, a very clearly light armored torso and legs will still feel like cloth/light armor.

Or you know... they could just release more plate-looking gauntlet+greaves+spaulders packages. I'll eat them up if they look the part... and are a complete set. No more of that, what is it? Scarlet's armor? Where it's just the spaulders and gauntlets? Why!?

@Vavume.8065 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:No thanks, I really do not want to see tempests running around in plate.

You are already seeing them. lot of them wear those plate outfits from $$$ shop...

why not give people the option ?

I don't mean from a visual point of view, I don't want to see tempests in plate from a balance point of view.

I see what you mean but skins are skins. They shouldn't have stats just a visual change.

@waxx.3619 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:No thanks, I really do not want to see tempests running around in plate.

You are already seeing them. lot of them wear those plate outfits from $$$ shop...

I don't mean from a visual point of view, I don't want to see tempests in plate from a balance point of view.

I see what you mean but skins are skins. They shouldn't have stats just a visual change.

The OP does not say he just wants skins.

@"Taril.8619" said:A lot of people would be for this.

However, it is just not possible to do. Since, the original way they went about creating the different armour weights was to use unique meshes for each weight.

This means, that even if they release a set that looks identical across the three weights (Such as the Hellfire/Radiant set) each armour weight will have items cut off at different points which helps them match with other items from their weight which are designed around these unique cutoff points.

The only way to actually implement this, is to remake EVERY item in the game using Outfits "4th Armour Weight", but not only would this be a monumental amount of work, but it would also end up with some items not looking right because they'd have to take the aforementioned "Identical" items and pick which one they will use for new armour weight which can lead to clipping issues for people already using them.

So yeah, while stuff like "Class identity" and "Immersion" are no longer factors holding back freedom of skin usage, there are mechanical issues that impede this which would require too much work to circumvent.Well, thats not really true. For mix and match its an issue, but for the simple task of allowing you to wear different weight classes, not so much.

They could allow this with minimal coding effort by letting any class equip any weight and then lock it. Meaning, if you are a naked warrior and equip a skirt, congratulations you are now a girl light armor user and can equip 5 more pieces of light armor. And if you strip back naked and equip another skirt, congratulations you are still a girl medium armor user. And if you strip again, you can equip heavy armor. As long as you have >=1 piece of an armor weight equipped, thats your armor weight.

All armor weights on all classes done with a simple compromise that only lets you equip pieces of the same weight at once.

But if they did this, it would render gemstore outfits obsolete. Meaning we will never ever see this. I'm fine with that.

@Vavume.8065 said:

The OP does not say he just wants skins.

Oh I see if OP wants actual armor and not skins, then no. If only skins then yes

I would support the idea if it was just skins, but not if it includes the stats because that then adds a whole other layer to balancing (and theory crafting) which this game wasn't designed to accommodate.

I also think one solution to the problem of being able to mix and match armour weights could be to let you choose any of the 3, but only one at a time. So if you want to wear heavy armour on your necromancer you can, but you can only use heavy armour. Same with any other class/weight combination: you choose the armour weight and then the skins offered are only ones from that weight class, if you want a different armour weight you have to change all of them.

I've never much been a fan of arbitrary limitations skin wise. There's quite a few helmet skins in the light and medium section that would go great with my plate, and vice versa. Let them eat cake, or in this case, let people wear whatever the kitten they want. Along those lines, I'd also like to see all weapon types opened up to all classes because why not, even if you're limited to just 1-3 basic attacks on some of them for your class.

Fashion wars and immersion demands it, I guess.

I chose the second, because that ship sailed at launch. The problem is that armor weights are part of the trinity that GW2 didn't want to have. Yet, they overlooked it, and put them in the game anyway. Now they keep adding elements of the trinity back in, druid, tempest and firebrand are the best examples. Unless they want to completely make over the game with the next expac (they don't), we are past the point of that ever happening.

I understand that allowing us to mix and match between armor tiers is not a feasible thing, but what they absolutely could do is allow any profession to wear a full set of light, medium, or heavy armor without the possibility to mix and match between the three armor types. I would love to wear medium armor on my mesmer as IMO the connection between chest and legs looks far more natural than light armor.

Because of outfits, it's really meaningless to me to lock armor by heavy, medium, and light now. As OP stated, you can't tell the class of anyone just by looking at them when they're in an outfit. And Anet wants everyone in outfits, by the how hard they're pushing for outfits in the gemstore. I understand once you choose an armor type, you should be locked into that look for at least the chest and legs. but it should be free reign for the other slots. End game is fashion wars, let us be fashionable

Edit: i'm in agreement for armor skins, not the actual armor pieces.