Why can soulbeasts take all my health in one second?

aaron.7850

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@aaron.7850 said:Even with vitality + toughness gear, they blow their cooldowns instantly and take me from 100% to 0% health in one second. No skill or strategy involved.

Almost every class can do that, they just do it differently. Even a full minstrels firebrand will drop really fast if you try to face tank a glass roamers burst without evading, using blocks, reflects, etc. Not sure what class you are but there is options to combat this. With damage being universally lowered there really is no excuse in 1v1 that you can be 100-0 before there is time to react.

The only class which is directly hard countered by soulbeast is necromancer but there are tips I can give you to beating them if this is your preferred/main class (you didn't state what you play).

Every soulbeast I've met that is an actual fighting threat beyond "well he surprised me this time" is one that doesnt have alot of damage. The glassier the soulbeast is, the easier they are to fight because they become sooooo predictable with their longbow pewpew sequences you can pretty much reach them without taking damage.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Every soulbeast I've met that is an actual fighting threat beyond "well he surprised me this time" is one that doesnt have alot of damage. The glassier the soulbeast is, the easier they are to fight because they become sooooo predictable with their longbow pewpew sequences you can pretty much reach them without taking damage.Then you lack some encounter experiences. I can't blame you, since most rangers suck. Ranger is a class, that is in any videogame picked by lots of bad players due to class theme, as it has range (to feel safe) and animals (which is sooo cool). These players are nowhere near the skill cap of the class.

While druid's immob spam is annoying at best in a 1v1 and only a real problem in team fights (esp. when there is a deadeye additionally to the druid), the damage+cc+mobility capability of soulbeast is completely broken. One of these 3 aspects has to get nerfed.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Every soulbeast I've met that is an actual fighting threat beyond "well he surprised me this time" is one that
doesnt
have alot of damage. The glassier the soulbeast is, the easier they are to fight because they become
sooooo
predictable with their longbow pewpew sequences you can pretty much reach them without taking damage.Then you lack some encounter experiences. I can't blame you, since most rangers suck. Ranger is a class, that is in any videogame picked by lots of bad players due to class theme, as it has range (to feel safe) and animals (which is sooo cool). These players are nowhere near the skill cap of the class.

While druid's immob spam is annoying at best in a 1v1 and only a real problem in team fights (esp. when there is a deadeye additionally to the druid), the damage+cc+mobility capability of soulbeast is completely broken. One of these 3 aspects has to get nerfed.

It already got nerfed last time...

@aspirine.6852 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Every soulbeast I've met that is an actual fighting threat beyond "well he surprised me this time" is one that
doesnt
have alot of damage. The glassier the soulbeast is, the easier they are to fight because they become
sooooo
predictable with their longbow pewpew sequences you can pretty much reach them without taking damage.Then you lack some encounter experiences. I can't blame you, since most rangers suck. Ranger is a class, that is in any videogame picked by lots of bad players due to class theme, as it has range (to feel safe) and animals (which is sooo cool). These players are nowhere near the skill cap of the class.

It already got nerfed last time...

Well, just keep nerfing until I win all my fights.

Because the game designers think long ranged attacks and AoE should be the hardest hitting abilities in the game. Meanwhile almost anything with a short range single target weapon is SoL. Try taking a P/P thief into a fight with a Ranger. Unload is laughable even though it is substantially shorter range, on a character with less HP and has no direct access to stealth to close the gap. Even the venerable backstab which requires significant setup doesn't do as much damage as ranger ripping off pew-pew at absurd distances.

Dodge, LOS, reflect is your friend. I run a Zerker Power Soulbeast. Pure power, 100% crit chance in combat with fury. I use LB and GS. To get this much power I've gave up all my defences, apart from GS 4 I've nothing. But I think it's a fair trade off. Hit me but a few times and I am dead. Now my desired burst is simple, LB 4 followed by LB 2. If LB 4 hits and full LB 2 along with sic 'em and one wolf pack... You're pretty much dead. But it's up to you to dodge this rather obvious attack/burst. And get on me where I will switch to GS which has obvious attacks. GS 2 you've a great big bear leaping over you and GS 4 my block I will hold the sword in front of me. Or I use GS 3 and bird F1 to run and try another LB 4 and LB 2 preceded by LB 3.

It's a one trick pony build, easy to anticipate and work around. But highly effective if somebody doesn't know this build or is not looking when I burst them. It's also good at clearing camps and ruining those trying to run away on warclaws day.

I've fought druids and sustain soulbeasts that never drop below 60% to even my full bursts. Though they hit like wet noodles, even against my zerker stats.

Burst soulbeast is not a one trick pony. It is a hit and run build and even if it has to remain at range for a few seconds it has insane counterpressure on both of its weapons. It basically forces everyone into defense mode for the whole fight, which grants it survivability.

And then it has disengage capabilities that are only outclassed by thief. But thief gets two-shot by it at any range, resulting in that it has the tools to bait all the thief dodges and shadowstep so that the thief either retreats or dies. At the end of the day the mobility of thief is nothing that could stop the build from being viable.

Just watch it:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/116269/soulbeast-highlights-of-me-stealing-kills-in-plat-2If you have to back up right from the beginning of the fight, then it doesn't matter how squishy your encounter is.

And again: the damage of the build in wvw is a lot (!) higher than in that pvp video above.

A lot of the problem with many people than complain about this class or that class has to do with over expectation of the builds they themselves are running .They never consider the trade offs a glass cannon has to take to achieve the damage and don't from a strategy to deal with a glass cannon.Considering the damage reductions that occurred with the "Competitive content update" I question the reports of Over Powered damage of the Soul Beast running glass cannon LB/GS . Especially with claims of "High toughness " and High Vitality . Anyone can work out the math and these claims simply don't add up .Another problem is people miss understand the attributes of the gear they are wearing , Toughness will do Nothing against conditions and having a High Vitality will do no better without any Condition Removal and neither will will do any good without Healing and Regeneration .Best guess is the OP grabbed the first build thrown up on a website for the class being run without understanding how that build works and what it is used for .

1v1, glassy LB SB is too predictable and should be easily countered. You shouldn't go defensive against it. Pressure is key just watch out and don't get hit by those big GS 2 bears. LB2 no need to say just dodge, reflect, LOS, whatever it is super telegraphed and slow. I much prefer a variation of boonbeast for 1v1 and smaller fights.It shines in smaller skirmishes though where it has some frontline and can easily switch to targets without CDs and get those big hits in, over great range if necessary.Also line of sight.