WvW small scale build

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Hello Tyrians, Yes it's me...TheRealMC

I am treading on a not as familiar territory and looking for ideas/help. I used to know a lot until I scaled my roaming down to solo/duo years ago.

I am looking for a good DPS build for small scale roaming. I can't do ele or rev. I usually play more selfish builds (thief, dps druid, dps mirage) but since joining a guild recently who does small scale running, I want to be able to feel useful. Can be condi or DPS (or a build to cover each). Ranged is a bonus but not required. We typically have at least 1 support. I am used to range (even with my condi) but will deviate from if I find a build that can work. Bonus points if its not meta. OH and theres (so far) been about 7 of us running with potential for a couple more.

TIA

Edit: I am also pretty familiar with engi/scrapper and dont know if FT or bombs are any good.

If you wont pick any build off metabattle, then we cant really tell you what to do either. Non meta builds are just personal variations of them. Different players, different skills with different classes. If you run smallscale, you need to be good with it. The profession forums has lots of builds available too, but then you need to pick one first.

But then again 7 people is practically zerg territory. In fact I would say that the second you run with a support, you disqualify yourself as a smallscaler.

I guess it matters a little what other classes you run with.

Complimentary builds can make many classes very viable.

The guild you are running small scale with: what do the main players play? I would suggest starting with builds that synergize with them, avoiding the aspects of Ele and Rev that disqualify those classes.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:I guess it matters a little what other classes you run with.

Complimentary builds can make many classes very viable.

The guild you are running small scale with: what do the main players play? I would suggest starting with builds that synergize with them, avoiding the aspects of Ele and Rev that disqualify those classes.

its not a super coordinated group, 1-2 support, maybe 1-2 condi and rest are random. I want something to help them DPS wise..

This is all personal preference, but, imo:

Thief (D/P+Sb Daredevil or R+D/P Deadeye) -- You know how zergs will sometimes have an off-tag "pick team" that's supposed to catch vulnerable players or turn downs into kills? You're one person playing the same role in small scale. Not all that different from how you play thief in spontaneous team skirmishes that happen while roaming.

Holo with Grenades -- You hit hard, you're mobile, you've got quick defensive abilities that really shine when the other team tries to focus you.

Power Soulbeast or Druid -- Easy pew-pew builds that will consistently get good DPS. Nothing too revolutionary here, except that you should try Stance-share Soulbeast for some off-meta support fun.

Condi Renegade (Mace/Axe + Shortbow, Mallyx+Jallis) -- I know you said you can't do Rev or don't like Rev, but hear me out: I thought so too until I learned how to play Mallyx+Jalis instead of all the Glint Herald builds. Everyone's playing these, right? Well, most people are playing them too selfish and defensive, running stuff like Retribution for the reflect bubble instead of taking Charged Mists (Invocation) so you can demolish people with a lot more Banish Enchantments spam. This build is really multifaceted: you're tanky with good self-sustain, but you're throwing out strong condition pressure, strong CC, a good bursty boon rip (+Chill to secure the kill), and you provide a little bit of both Stability and Cleansing for your team. And you've got the flexibility to fight in melee or at 900 range.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Bonus points if its not meta.Ppl say Hammer is dead. No its not, its the most fun time I'm having atm as Dragonhunter Condi, Hammer + Sword/Torch, Glacial Heart, Traps, Rune of the Trapper.

You have a ton of CCs (should be very beneficial for your DPS group), and you simultaneously apply chill with your disabling skills and prolonged duration. You have ports as well, so imagine getting into stealth with traps, moving close to your target with superspeed / sword 2 / JI while activating elite trap or Hammer 5 or Hammer 4 :o :p

@enkidu.5937 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Bonus points if its not meta.Ppl say Hammer is dead. No its not, its the most fun time I'm having atm as Dragonhunter Condi, Hammer + Sword/Torch, Glacial Heart, Traps, Rune of the Trapper.

You have a ton of CCs (should be very beneficial for your DPS group), and you simultaneously apply chill with your disabling skills and prolonged duration. You have ports as well, so imagine getting into stealth with traps, moving close to your target with superspeed / sword 2 / JI while activating elite trap or Hammer 5 or Hammer 4 :o :p

A bit intrigued. Care to share the build?

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Edit: I am also pretty familiar with engi/scrapper and dont know if FT or bombs are any good.Nade scrapper is almost as strong as nade holo in wvw. Unlike holo it is just actually ... killable.

So nade holo is better overall (dps/utility) or scrapper?The actual metabuild for holo is even more broken in wvw than it is in pvp. The scrapper version is weaker, but if you like scrapper then this is still a viable option. I see a lot of players running variants of explosive entrance nade scrapper and they are definitely a threat.

@KrHome.1920 said:

Edit: I am also pretty familiar with engi/scrapper and dont know if FT or bombs are any good.Nade scrapper is almost as strong as nade holo in wvw. Unlike holo it is just actually ... killable.

So nade holo is better overall (dps/utility) or scrapper?The actual metabuild for holo is even more broken in wvw than it is in pvp. The scrapper version is weaker, but if you like scrapper then this is still a viable option. I see a lot of players running variants of explosive entrance nade scrapper and they are definitely a threat.

I'll have to look into it. Prob do scrapper as I'm more comfortable with scrapper than holo.

Would FT or bombs be any good? I know they were decent at one time.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

A bit intrigued. Care to share the build?There's lots of individual adjustments, dependent on how you want to play and you teammates. In fact, I swap between 2 builds, for solo / random small scale and clouding bigger enemy groups.

The second build has similarities to that in RisenHowl's vids (except that I traded physical dam for more survivability outside of the „dam converted to heal“ heal).

I'm at Hammer + Swort/Torch for soloing. And GS + Secpter/Shield for clouding bigger groups. Bow is an option too, since you mentioned range options.

Solo:Radiance 3/2/3Virtues 2/1/1DH 3/3/1

Cloud:Zeal 1/1/3Virtues 2/2/3DH 3/2/3(optional: Radiance + Virtues + Zeal as Core Guard, should also be fine in a group)

Gear:Trailblazer + Trapper Rune(optional: Dire + Balthazar rune, but I wanted to focus more on increasing my CC condi duration, and the stealth + superspeed)

Sigils:Cleansing + anything that applies cover condis (I took poison) or adds condi stacks / condi damage

Skills:Traps (Heal, Elite, Stab, Reveal) + JI(for clouding meditation heal, sword of justice, procession of blades . . . if the blob comes at you, you might activate PoB, stab trap, and GS 2 to escape)

If you run in a group constantly, I think Balthazar Rune, „Stand your ground“, „Wall of reflection“ would be more beneficial. So, theres so many possible combinations, I just found it funny to combine CC + prolonged chill + fire ^^

@enkidu.5937 said:

A bit intrigued. Care to share the build?There's lots of individual adjustments, dependent on how you want to play and you teammates. In fact, I swap between 2 builds, for solo / random small scale and clouding bigger enemy groups.

The second build has similarities to that in RisenHowl's vids (except that I traded physical dam for more survivability outside of the „dam converted to heal“ heal).

I'm at Hammer + Swort/Torch for soloing. And GS + Secpter/Shield for clouding bigger groups. Bow is an option too, since you mentioned range options.

Cloud:Zeal 1/1/3Virtues 2/2/3DH 3/2/3(optional: Radiance + Virtues + Zeal as Core Guard, should also be fine in a group)

Gear:Trailblazer + Trapper Rune(optional: Dire + Balthazar rune, but I wanted to focus more on increasing my CC condi duration, and the stealth + superspeed)

Sigils:Cleansing + anything that applies cover condis (I took poison) or adds condi stacks / condi damage

Skills:Traps (Heal, Elite, Stab, Reveal) + JI(for clouding meditation heal, sword of justice, procession of blades . . . if the blob comes at you, you might activate PoB, stab trap, and GS 2 to escape)

If you run in a group constantly, I think Balthazar Rune, „Stand your ground“, „Wall of reflection“ would be more beneficial. So, theres so many possible combinations, I just found it funny to combine CC + prolonged chill + fire ^^

my english is very, very bad .. someone willing to port that builds to "Build Editor"? ty in advance

@aiinseinn.5914 said:

my english is very, very bad .. someone willing to port that builds to "Build Editor"? ty in advance

Hammer and trailblazer gear..Don't do it

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@aleron.1438 said:Sad day when even bigpapa is hanging his rifle up the wall

Nah, DE will be my bae,
looking to branch out more in a group play.

What are you trying to do in a group though? You can keep the rifle and use snipers cover to help creep up or down a lane and you can build for boon rip from range. I flip between that and a similar DrD build with Shortbow depending on what the area looks like. Smoke screen and Basilik venom are good for both.

@kash.9213 said:

@aleron.1438 said:Sad day when even bigpapa is hanging his rifle up the wall

Nah, DE will be my bae,
looking to branch out more in a group play.

What are you trying to do in a group though? You can keep the rifle and use snipers cover to help creep up or down a lane and you can build for boon rip from range. I flip between that and a similar DrD build with Shortbow depending on what the area looks like. Smoke screen and Basilik venom are good for both.

I run in a fun run group....generally uncoordinated, but still good fun and they are not bad for being uncoordinated rag tags. I am decent at my condi DE, and can pick off targets, however wanted something that can hit more than 1 person lol

Boon rip however sounds interesting, if its good enough to appear helpful