Balance Suggestions - Revenant

Kuma.1503

Goals: Reduce clunkiness, fix buggy interactions, and add additional counterplay and/or reward where appropriate.

General

Healing orbs replaced with a pulsing heal over time around the Revenant. If a tablet is active, the healing will also take place around the tablet. Heals do not stack.

Healing orbs are a poor mechanic in practice. Changing the mechanic to give better control to the revenant. Orbs were difficult to see in the middle of combat.

Shortbow

Sevenshot - This skill now goes on inturrupt cooldown when line of sight is lost rather than full cooldown.

Bugfix. Seven shot currently goes on full cooldown when losing line of sight of it's target before finishing the cast.

Spirit Crush - Damage reduced by 30%. Can now be cast behind the player

Reducing clunkiness while lowering the damage to prevent this skill from becoming too oppresive.

Scorchrazer - Cast time increased to 1 second. Warm up effect added for better visual clarity. Cooldown reverted to 12 seconds. Knockdown increased to 3 seconds (In PvE only).

Solving the real problem with this skill. The animation is too subtle for how powerful the effect is. Giving players a better opportunity to play around it.

Staff

Renewing wave - Functionality change: Healing pulses longer for each condition cleansed.

Tweaking this skill to work with the new healing mechanic while keeping the gameplay intact. This skill will still grant more value when conditions are cleansed by its effect.

Surge of the Mists - Evade decreased to .75 seconds. Self root removed. Damage coefficent increases by 0.05 for each hit that connects. (Total 2.25 if all hits connect)

Reducing clunkiness while adding back the skill expression of the skill. Rewarding players that manage to land all nine hits. The skill is now vulnerable for half of the warmup frames, adding counterplay.

Sword

Unrelenting Assault - Latch Range increased to 900.

This skill still requires that you be within 600 range to activate. However, it will no longer fizzle unless the target travels >900 range away or enters stealth.

Deathstrike- This skill can no longer be activated without a target.

Cleaning up the gameplay.

Hammer

Drop The Hammer - Knockdown increased to 3 seconds.

A 1.75 second cast is among the longest in the game. Increasing the stun duration so that the reward is appropriate to the amount of risk.

@Kuma.1503 said:Goals: Reduce clunkiness, fix buggy interactions, and add additional counterplay and/or reward where appropriate.

General

Healing orbs replaced with a pulsing heal over time around the Revenant. If a tablet is active, the healing will also take place around the tablet. Heals do not stack.For me healing orbs are already a nice mechanic. The only problem is they don't last long enough (2-3 secs) and only renegade/kalla can have constant access to it.

@Kuma.1503 said:

Shortbow

Sevenshot - This skill now goes on inturrupt cooldown when line of sight is lost rather than full cooldown.

Bugfix. Seven shot currently goes on full cooldown when losing line of sight of it's target before finishing the cast.No. Stop with the game assistance. What's next? Infused Light is reset if the damage you took during those 3 secs is not enough? It's the player's responsibility to anticipate the LoS, not the game. Same thing with that phase traversal buff.

@Kuma.1503 said:Spirit Crush - Damage reduced by 30%. Can now be cast behind the player

Reducing clunkiness while lowering the damage to prevent this skill from becoming too oppresive.

This should have been added since HoT. Idk why damage should be reduced for a feature that should have been there since day 1. Either all ranged skills can be cast from behind either none of them can, unless some special traits.

@Kuma.1503 said:Scorchrazer - Cast time increased to 1 second. Warm up effect added for better visual clarity. Cooldown reverted to 12 seconds. Knockdown increased to 3 seconds (In PvE only).1 second cast time on a spec with the worst break stun in the game. Meanwhile, you have deflecting shot and point-blank shot which are almost instant. The latter doesn't even have an animation.How is a slow red wave coming into your face not clear enough?

@Kuma.1503 said:Goals: Reduce clunkiness, fix buggy interactions, and add additional counterplay and/or reward where appropriate.Renewing wave - Functionality change: Healing pulses longer for each condition cleansed.

Tweaking this skill to work with the new healing mechanic while keeping the gameplay intact. This skill will still grant more value when conditions are cleansed by its effect.Rev is supposed to be weak to conditions. If you start "nerfing" that weakness you create a broken class. Besides, most revs builds don't take the support traitlines nor traits so it's almost like thieves complaining about their damage while they don't take any damaging traitline.

@Kuma.1503 said:Surge of the Mists - Evade decreased to .75 seconds. Self root removed. Damage coefficent increases by 0.05 for each hit that connects. (Total 2.25 if all hits connect)I don't know where how you get your 2.25 modifier, I've found 0.45. But yeah the idea is great.

@Kuma.1503 said:

Sword

Unrelenting Assault - Latch Range increased to 1200.

This skill still requires that you be within 600 range to activate. However, it will no longer fizzle unless the target travels >1200 range away or enters stealth.

I think Unrelenting Assault is already good as it is right now. It just needs its 2015 bug fixed.AFAIK Deathstrike requires a target. Maybe you meant a pathfinder check like phase traversal? In that case no. Again, it's not the game's responsibility to check the "doability" of a skill.

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:AFAIK Deathstrike requires a target. Maybe you meant a pathfinder check like phase traversal? In that case no. Again, it's not the game's responsibility to check the "doability" of a skill.

Atm yu can accidentally press Deathstrike and it will still go off, just a little awkward fart and Deathstrike second hit being cast on the spot.

@OP :

Honestly trying to balance Renegade is a whole lotta mess to begin with.

Renegade is just such an insanely oppressive point controller which is braindead click and drop on point, and suddenly yur team automatically wins teamfights because there is no way the enemy can fight the unique effects of the summons without trying to waste CC on them or kill them.

Knowing Anet all they gonna do is just slap more Energy cost on the skills.

As for Shortbow :I'm sick and tired of SB and Hammer's all-offense long cooldown 5 slot weapons which are getting slapped every other patched because they get qq'd on.

No I'm not upset that they are getting nerfed, I'm upset that they are just so simply designed, with no depth.

Both of these weapons are literally "press 2,3,4,5 then back to autos" sort of design which when nerfed, ends up being "okay now we gotta press one button less, then back to autos"

At least Hammer has some strategic usage of 3 and 4, SB is just so dumb.

Everything about Renegade is just so dumbed down where yu can literally faceroll and get value.

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:

Shortbow

No. Stop with the game assistance. What's next? Infused Light is reset if the damage you took during those 3 secs is not enough? It's the player's responsibility to anticipate the LoS, not the game. Same thing with that phase traversal buff.

Sevenshot is bugged. Not only does it go on full cd when canceled. If you attempt to cast it without line of sight, it does not behave like other skills and give a "No line of Sight" error. Instead it does nothng and (not even an animation) goes on interrupt cooldown. It seems like when Anet redesigned this skill, someone flubbed up the code and the skill is exibiting all sorts of unintended behavoirs.

@"Kuma.1503" said:

This should have been added since HoT. Idk why damage should be reduced for a feature that should have been there since day 1. Either all ranged skills can be cast from behind either none of them can, unless some special traits.

It would be quite a large buff to Renegade to make this change, even if it realistically should have always been this way. My goal here isn't to buff Renegade. My goal is to reduce clunkiness, hence the damage nerf to compensate.

1 second cast time on a spec with the worst break stun in the game. Meanwhile, you have deflecting shot and point-blank shot which are almost instant. The latter doesn't even have an animation.How is a slow red wave coming into your face not clear enough?

I agree, but aparently Anet saw fit to nerf this skill. Asuming I had to nerf it in some way, I would make it slightly more reactable. While giving it an increase in breakbar damage in PvE to make the cast time nerf worthwhile. An 18 second cooldown is a bit excessive for a skill that already comes with a hefty energy cost.

Rev is supposed to be weak to conditions. If you start "nerfing" that weakness you create a broken class. Besides, most revs builds don't take the support traitlines nor traits so it's almost like thieves complaining about their damage while they don't take any damaging traitline.

My change would not affect Rev's vulnerability to conditions in any way. Renewing wave currently cleanses 2 conditions and spawns a healing orb for each ally cleansed.Healing orbs are replaced with the pulsing heal effect. No additional condis are cleansed.

@"Kuma.1503" said:
Surge of the Mists - Evade decreased to .75 seconds. Self root removed. Damage coefficent increases by 0.05 for each hit that connects. (Total 2.25 if all hits connect)
I don't know where how you get your 2.25 modifier, I've found 0.45. But yeah the idea is great.

Math here is a bit weird but the coefficient would increase by 0.05 for each consecutive hit. So the coefficients of each individual hit would look like this:

1 - 0.001 | 2 - 0.05 | 3 - 0.1 | 4 - 0.15 | 5 - 0.2 | 6 - 0.25 | 7 - 0.3 | 8 - 0.35 | 9 - 0.4

As it turns out, my math was off and I added one too many hits. I mistakenly added a 10th hit with a .45 coefficient for a total of 2.25 instead of the correct value of 1.8.

I'm not sure if Anet could code this in with the game's current engine but it would be a change that rewards skillful play.

I think Unrelenting Assault is already good as it is right now. It just needs its 2015 bug fixed.

Is this the bug where it will fizzle if quickness is gained or lost during the wind up?

AFAIK Deathstrike requires a target. Maybe you meant a pathfinder check like phase traversal? In that case no. Again, it's not the game's responsibility to check the "doability" of a skill.

It currently does not require a target. If cast without a target the skill plays out the animation but does nothing. Changing it to behave like phase traversal. Purely a QoL change.

@Kuma.1503 said:Goals: Reduce clunkiness, fix buggy interactions, and add additional counterplay and/or reward where appropriate.

General

Healing orbs replaced with a pulsing heal over time around the Revenant. If a tablet is active, the healing will also take place around the tablet. Heals do not stack.

Healing orbs are a poor mechanic in practice. Changing the mechanic to give better control to the revenant. Orbs were difficult to see in the middle of combat.

Shortbow

Bugfix. Seven shot currently goes on full cooldown when losing line of sight of it's target before finishing the cast.

Scorchrazer - Cast time increased to 1 second. Warm up effect added for better visual clarity. Cooldown reverted to 12 seconds. Knockdown increased to 3 seconds (In PvE only).

Solving the real problem with this skill. The animation is too subtle for how powerful the effect is. Giving players a better opportunity to play around it.

Staff

Renewing wave - Functionality change: Healing pulses longer for each condition cleansed.

Tweaking this skill to work with the new healing mechanic while keeping the gameplay intact. This skill will still grant more value when conditions are cleansed by its effect.

Reducing clunkiness while adding back the skill expression of the skill. Rewarding players that manage to land all nine hits. The skill is now vulnerable for half of the warmup frames, adding counterplay.

Sword

Unrelenting Assault - Latch Range increased to 1200.

This skill still requires that you be within 600 range to activate. However, it will no longer fizzle unless the target travels >1200 range away or enters stealth.

Hammer

Drop The Hammer - Knockdown increased to 3 seconds.

A 1.75 second cast is among the longest in the game. Increasing the stun duration so that the reward is appropriate to the amount of risk.

Nice suggestions, I have one concern with unrelenting assault latch range though, I think 1200 might be a bit too much on rev considering synergy with legend swap/impossible odds etc. I think 900 range would be perfect and reducing the windup time to not be so reliant on quickness.

@Eugchriss.2046 said:

General

For me healing orbs are already a nice mechanic. The only problem is they don't last long enough (2-3 secs) and only renegade/kalla can have constant access to it.

Shortbow

Bugfix. Seven shot currently goes on full cooldown when losing line of sight of it's target before finishing the cast.No. Stop with the game assistance. What's next? Infused Light is reset if the damage you took during those 3 secs is not enough? It's the player's responsibility to anticipate the LoS, not the game. Same thing with that phase traversal buff.

1 second cast time on a spec with the worst break stun in the game. Meanwhile, you have deflecting shot and point-blank shot which are almost instant. The latter doesn't even have an animation.How is a slow red wave coming into your face not clear enough?

Point-Blank Shot has a very clear animation, as long as you're paying attention, and is very much dodge-able even outside anticipation. Agree 1s is too long of a cast time.

@Eugchriss.2046 said:

Ah yes, the instant 0.75s casttime deflecting shot that has to be manually aimed and moves incredible slow, very op

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

General

For me healing orbs are already a nice mechanic. The only problem is they don't last long enough (2-3 secs) and only renegade/kalla can have constant access to it.

Shortbow

Point-Blank Shot has a very clear animation, as long as you're paying attention, and is very much dodge-able even outside anticipation. Agree 1s is too long of a cast time.

The point of having an animation is to not having to pay attention. The moment you start paying attention, it's not an animation anymore. It's a
detail

@Tharan.9085 said:

@"Kuma.1503" said:

Ah yes, the instant 0.75s casttime deflecting shot that has to be manually aimed and moves incredible slow, very opWho said that it was very OP? Just pointing out other skills that basically behave the same but yet have different treatments.And manually aimed doesn't necessarily mean "bad thing" like you are trying to make it sound. Manually aim usually come with cast behind the back.

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:

Who said that it was very OP? Just pointing out other skills that basically behave the same but yet have different treatments.And manually aimed doesn't necessarily mean "bad thing" like you are trying to make it sound. Manually aim usually come with cast behind the back.

What's the point of casting behind back when yu have to stop to channel it tho.

@Strider.7849 said:Nice suggestions, I have one concern with unrelenting assault latch range though, I think 1200 might be a bit too much on rev considering synergy with legend swap/impossible odds etc. I think 900 range would be perfect and reducing the windup time to not be so reliant on quickness.

You have a good point. 1200 range would make the skill unecessarily sticky. 900 should be enough to make it consistent without being overbearing.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:

Who said that it was very OP? Just pointing out other skills that basically behave the same but yet have different treatments.And manually aimed doesn't necessarily mean "bad thing" like you are trying to make it sound. Manually aim usually come with cast behind the back.

What's the point of casting behind back when yu have to stop to channel it tho.

You dont have to stop to channel it tho

@Kuma.1503 said:

@Strider.7849 said:Nice suggestions, I have one concern with unrelenting assault latch range though, I think 1200 might be a bit too much on rev considering synergy with legend swap/impossible odds etc. I think 900 range would be perfect and reducing the windup time to not be so reliant on quickness.

You have a good point. 1200 range would make the skill unecessarily sticky. 900 should be enough to make it consistent without being overbearing.

unrelenting is already overbearing, boo hoo you have to be in range to use a skill, what a weird thing

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

unrelenting is already overbearing, boo hoo you have to be in range to use a skill, what a weird thing

Controversial thought, I know, but I don't think buggy behavior is a good way to balance a skill.

@Kuma.1503 said:

Controversial thought, I know, but I don't think buggy behavior is a good way to balance a skill.

whats so buggy about it? enemy leaves its cast range and it does nothing. many skills do that.and since the skill itself is OP as fuck already it needs no buffs in the first place

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

whats so buggy about it? enemy leaves its cast range and it does nothing. many skills do that.and since the skill itself is OP as kitten already it needs no buffs in the first place

Any other targeted port if cast within range will port you to your target or, if the target moves out of range, it will port you closer to your target. Unrelenting Assault is the only port which exhibits this behavior where it frequently fizzle out. Not even smoke assault has this issue. `

Moreover, this skill is prone to fizzling even when the opponent is within range, but when it chooses to do so can seem arbitrary at times. I've noticed it most when attempting to hit someone who is on slightly uneven ground.

If you read the goal of this thread, the point is not explicitly buffs, but rather fixing clunky or buggy behavior. It is within reason for a player to expect their skill to behave as expected under normal circumstances.

In this instance, you cast Unrelenting Assault at near max range. You attempt to evade a skill during the windup, moving your character ever so slightly out of that 600 unit distance. Your skill appears to bug out and plays out the animation while hitting nothing.

By buffing the latch range to 900 (even 750 would be a reasonable buffer) it gives the player room to kite around the opponents abilities without their skill fizzling, removing unnecessary clunk.

Naturally, this does end up buffing the skill, but that is the case, you can offset the buff in other ways, such as reducing the might duration from 3 seconds to 1 in PvP, reducing the coefficient, ect.

I understand bias against Rev given their near-permanent status in the meta, but assuming the skill behaves this way by design, balancing a skill through clunky, unintuitive behavior is not good design in my opinion.

@Kuma.1503 said:

whats so buggy about it? enemy leaves its cast range and it does nothing. many skills do that.and since the skill itself is OP as kitten already it needs no buffs in the first place

Any other targeted port if cast within range will port you to your target or, if the target moves out of range, it will port you closer to your target. Unrelenting Assault is the only port which exhibits this behavior where it frequently fizzle out. Not even smoke assault has this issue. `

Moreover, this skill is prone to fizzling even when the opponent
is within range
, but when it chooses to do so can seem arbitrary at times. I've noticed it most when attempting to hit someone who is on slightly uneven ground.

If you read the goal of this thread, the point is not explicitly buffs, but rather fixing clunky or buggy behavior. It is within reason for a player to expect their skill to behave as expected under normal circumstances.

In this instance, you cast Unrelenting Assault at near max range. You attempt to evade a skill during the windup, moving your character ever so slightly out of that 600 unit distance. Your skill appears to bug out and plays out the animation while hitting nothing.

By buffing the latch range to 900 it gives the player room to kite around the opponents abilities without their skill fizzling, removing unnecessary clunk.

Naturally, this does end up buffing the skill, but that is the case, you can offset the buff in other ways, such as reducing the might duration from 3 seconds to 1 in PvP, reducing the coefficient, ect.

I understand bias against Rev given their near-permanent status in the meta, but assuming the skill behaves this way by design, balancing a skill through clunky, unintuitive behavior is not good design in my opinion.

bear with me for a sec, but I thought you can cast unerelenting while moving? whats stops you from moving towards the target? if enemy leaves your range thats on you for not stowing the skill or not staying in range for its entire animation.

Imo, Revenant only needs four design fixes:The shortbow AoE being cast-able in 360° around me.The Renegade stun break not being ground-targetted, but instantly popping on my position.Surge of The Mists needs to lose that garbage wind-up.Coalescence of Ruin needs to be enemy-targetted again.