Steve too strong in Labyrinth?

Derpina.2597

Did Steve (aka Labyrinthine Horror) get a buff this year?I've been playing Halloween every year, but this years it feels like Candy boss and Lich go down in a matter of moments, while Steve requires a tremendous amount of time, slowing down farm quite a lot. Not to mention that half of the squad gets downed, due to popular low-damage builds, or removing trinkets, to allow all members to tag mobs.

The Grand High Viscount of Candy Corn, the Skeletal Lich, and the Labyrinthine Horror have had their health and damage scaling per player lowered and their base health and damage increased to provide a more even challenge across group sizes.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/116445/game-update-notes-october-13-2020#latest

Basically, these bosses were weaker the less people were there to fight them and got way stronger as the group grew.Now its the other way around, they're stronger when a small group fights them, but weaker when you fight them with a squad.

@"Wolfb.7025" said:

The Grand High Viscount of Candy Corn, the Skeletal Lich, and the Labyrinthine Horror have had their health and damage scaling per player lowered and their base health and damage increased to provide a more even challenge across group sizes.

Basically, these bosses were weaker the less people were there to fight them and got way stronger as the group grew.Now its the other way around, they're stronger when a small group fights them, but weaker when you fight them with a squad.

Interesting to see that. Because it felt like Steve got a hard buff on everything, while Viscount and Lich got nerfed. But that's going purely on feeling. Although I feel like Steve should get a nerf. I know, I know, jokes, memes, "Horror" should be scary, etc. But he feels like a very long, boring nuisance currently :(

@Ubi.4136 said:The problem with Steve is two-fold. There are new people that think melee is a good choice, and veterans who have put on minimal dps gear or no accessories so that more people can tag the mobs. What you end up with is a squad of people who keep getting downed and have low dps.

Or people like me who are lvl'ng their twinks in the lab and wear little armor + lowlvl :''D. Steve is a pain in the ass ...Had now several runs where you sat on it forever even with a full squad. Especially because everybody dies again and again, no matter if Melee or Range.

Steve is not buff, I can't even see his muscles! He's not even skin and bones. I'm norn, I know these things.I just get down'ed' with with my friends and party on death's door, but in the end we always send Steve home.He's a menace, but important for preserving the wildlife of the labyrinth. On Halloween there is always too much living sucking the death out of the dead.

For me the problem is not the amount of damage you have to do to him but the damage he does to you in an instant. If you aren't at full health he'll insta-down you. And the torment that he deals out, even if you are on the other side of a wall, is nasty, you can't even run away. YMMV depending on class and build.

I make it an annual goal to solo the viscount and Steve so yeah the differences are pretty obvious to me.

Viscount is actually easier to deal with now in my opinion, he used to be unbelievably tanky but that seems to have been diminished a lot this year, he's pretty easy to solo now actually.

The Lich I don't bother with solo because of the Skele summons he does, the amount of bleeds that thing can apply in seconds is insane so it's a no go solo.But in groups he does feel a bit easier than previous years, my guess is he's also lost a bit of his scaling buffs that made him so effective at downing large amounts of players.

Steve.. oh boy Steve.. this thing has been given a giant case of bone roids or something because he is jacked the hell up this year.I was with a group of about 20-30ish people fighting the viscount last night and Steve showed up and within literally seconds.. he had downed pretty much every member of the group except for me and like 1 or two others lmao

If you're not playing some kind of tanky build, then chances are Steve is probably going to one shot you easily.I ended up luring Steve away from the group and soloing him for a little bit so they could kill the Viscount and then brought him back afterwards so everyone could gank him and finish him off.He is still soloable if you've got a build that can deal with him but it is much much harder to do now than in previous years and he is also much tankier than he used to be as well as hitting so much harder so expect a very long and difficult fight with this thing if you do go for a solo kill.Hell expect a long and difficult fight if you're any kind of melee glass canon too cause you going down a lot most likely lol

@"Wolfb.7025" said:

Basically, these bosses were weaker the less people were there to fight them and got way stronger as the group grew.Now its the other way around, they're stronger when a small group fights them, but weaker when you fight them with a squad.Unfortunately, the stuff that is most problematic doesn't really scale all that well anyway, so it's not changed. And i'm quite sure that the nerf to scaling of Horror's health with bigger group sizes has been completely compensated with him having a bigger basic health pool.

Basically: with big squad the Horror is as strong as it was before. The change just made him stronger even against smaller groups.

@aspirine.6852 said:Doesnt matter he does a lot of damage, just seems he has way too much health. Not a health sponge, but a whole group of sponges.

Yea lol.

I took him on again today with just a couple of random people (about 5 total including me) and I asked them to stay at range and let me tank the aggro.It worked out well, nobody got downed after they stopped going in melee and Steve spent the whole fight trying and failing to kill me so it was an easy kill for us.

That's the best i've got for any reliable no deaths tactic on how to kill him.Find someone who can tank him and everyone else play it safe and stay out face meets chainsaw range >.<

I wasn't going to say I haven't noticed a big difference, he takes a bit longer to kill but not much. But I realised while reading this that's probably because I tend to pick the Lab groups with minimal requirements for joining, which are doing all the doors (including all the bosses) so we don't have people with special low damage farming builds or no armour/trinkets equipped. A lot of people are using what they would normally use in PvE (but given the people who join these groups that's unlikely to be a full ascended high DPS build either).

It does seem strange that they did this, given they must know how people tend to approach the Labyrinth. Changing the Horror to require pretty much the opposite of what most people are using for the rest of the map seems counter-intuitive.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@"ErikTheTyrant.4527" said:Steve is not strong enough if you ask me. I think squads should have to run and hide from him, instead of fight him.

Unfortunately that would make farming the lab extremely tedious, plus it would deprive us of a boss bag.

Perhaps Arenanet wishes there to be more to the Lab than just farming?

I agree that Steve is good as-is. Keep the challenge, keep the "oh-no" moments.