My ranged attacks "missing" when im not blinded it literally (not figuratively) dumb

MindWipe.3028

^^^^^ i swear if someone comes in here and tells me that im wrong im going to lose the last bit (none) of faith in humanity. Yes i am suggesting that my ranged attacks should magnet pull like sneak attack and life blast. I can see now reason why skills that cost 6 initiative like shadow shot should magically "miss" an opponent. DONT ANYBODY TELL ME IM WRONG CAUSE IM NOT WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN

@Rukia.4802 said:GW2 engine buggy af, if you assume in your mind half your attacks are going to magically miss your target it gets a lot better :) its like the dice roll attacks from Morrowind.

It doesn't make sense though. Some attacks do track, life blast, sneak attack and some don't. I dont see why every attack cant just track like them.

Im fairly sure "miss" appears when enemy is in range of the projectile attack that doesnt home on target, its CLOSE to target but not close enough to actually connect.If it were any closer it would hit, if it was any further away it would not even show up as miss.mesmer Pistol 5 at max range is a good indicator for it, it works most of the times but just sometimes "misses" when someone strafes fast at long ranges.most not homing projectiles at longer ranges are so off that you dont even get the "miss" like mesmer gs4, warrior gs4, or like tharan said guardian scepter autos.

@"Kachros.4751" said:it says miss because 1. they want to retain logic and so dodging side to side allows some attacks to miss, however not all of them or 2. it became out of range after being cast so it sometimes just shows as a miss instead of saying its out of range.. from my experience anyways

Speaking from the perspective of a thief main it is complete bs. When shadow shot cost 6 initiative it should always land unless the enemy actually does something to avoid it. It is so bad that i have shot people with shadow shot only for them to then stand still and have it gracefully touch glide across their face. Furthermore, i dont see why this is such a big problem with some skills and yet other skills have heat seeking capabilities. It isnt like the player aims their own projectiles so why do i get punished when the game "misses"? and like i said why is there inconsistency in what skills do and dont track so i dont think they are trying to maintain any kind of logic therein.

@MindWipe.3028 said:

@"Kachros.4751" said:it says miss because 1. they want to retain logic and so dodging side to side allows some attacks to miss, however not all of them or 2. it became out of range after being cast so it sometimes just shows as a miss instead of saying its out of range.. from my experience anyways

Speaking from the perspective of a thief main it is complete bs. When shadow shot cost 6 initiative it should always land unless the enemy actually does something to avoid it. It is so bad that i have shot people with shadow shot only for them to then stand still and have it gracefully touch glide across their face. Furthermore, i dont see why this is such a big problem with some skills and yet other skills have heat seeking capabilities. It isnt like the player aims their own projectiles so why do i get punished when the game "misses"? and like i said why is there inconsistency in what skills do and dont track so i dont think they are trying to maintain any kind of logic therein.

shadow shot is 5 ini isnt it ?

There has been an increase in ranged attacks being randomly nullified lately, even at point blank range. I know exactly what the OP is talking about. It seemed to have started a couple weeks ago after the Sept 29th patch for whatever reason that may be. Thing is, it's not just in pvp. I've also noticed it in pve. Like you'll throw a Winter's Bite at a dredge who is walking directly at you within 400 range, and the Winter's Bite will just poof and go away, nothing happens. Almost like the target being hit was counted as an inanimate object like a wall or something.

And no, I'm not talking missing from being blinded or ect ect. I'm taking projectiles just going null halfway through their range, and it doesn't even say "obstructed" or anything like that.

@"MindWipe.3028" said:^^^^^ i swear if someone comes in here and tells me that im wrong im going to lose the last bit (none) of faith in humanity. Yes i am suggesting that my ranged attacks should magnet pull like sneak attack and life blast. I can see now reason why skills that cost 6 initiative like shadow shot should magically "miss" an opponent. DONT ANYBODY TELL ME IM WRONG CAUSE IM NOT WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN

I believe you frand.

If you look for it, you'll find this game is an inconsistent mess.

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:Im fairly sure "miss" appears when enemy is in range of the projectile attack that doesnt home on target, its CLOSE to target but not close enough to actually connect.If it were any closer it would hit, if it was any further away it would not even show up as miss.mesmer Pistol 5 at max range is a good indicator for it, it works most of the times but just sometimes "misses" when someone strafes fast at long ranges.most not homing projectiles at longer ranges are so off that you dont even get the "miss" like mesmer gs4, warrior gs4, or like tharan said guardian scepter autos.

If you watch my video, you'll see a number of "miss" cases well within the range of the skill and without odd movement of the target. Take 1:20 for example.

While not a projectile, 3:33 shows a skill missing within range on a DOWNED, stationary target.

Meanwhile, we see Bulls Charge move heaven and earth to get to the target at 2:50.

@bethekey.8314 said:

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:Im fairly sure "miss" appears when enemy is in range of the projectile attack that doesnt home on target, its CLOSE to target but not close enough to actually connect.If it were any closer it would hit, if it was any further away it would not even show up as miss.mesmer Pistol 5 at max range is a good indicator for it, it works most of the times but just sometimes "misses" when someone strafes fast at long ranges.most not homing projectiles at longer ranges are so off that you dont even get the "miss" like mesmer gs4, warrior gs4, or like tharan said guardian scepter autos.

If you watch my video, you'll see a number of "miss" cases well within the range of the skill and without odd movement of the target. Take 1:20 for example.

While not a projectile, 3:33 shows a skill missing within range on a DOWNED, stationary target.

Meanwhile, we see Bulls Charge move heaven and earth to get to the target at 2:50.

Thing about Bulls Charge is the harder it tracks, it seems it becomes more likely to desync. I've done some stupid curveballs with it but also had plenty of times where I'm completely out of range of any possible melee follow up when it lands.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

Thing about Bulls Charge is the harder it tracks, it seems it becomes more likely to desync. I've done some stupid curveballs with it but also had plenty of times where I'm completely out of range of any possible melee follow up when it lands.

lol, you know the option that allows you to shift target during a channel or an attack like rapid fire?

Well turn that on, and start changing to "next target" while you do something like a Bull's Charge or use a Gazelle F2 Charge. You can run in triangle & square shapes with those skills before actually hitting a target and it confuses everyone to the point that they think you must be hacking.

Fun times.

@bethekey.8314 said:

@"MindWipe.3028" said:^^^^^ i swear if someone comes in here and tells me that im wrong im going to lose the last bit (none) of faith in humanity. Yes i am suggesting that my ranged attacks should magnet pull like sneak attack and life blast. I can see now reason why skills that cost 6 initiative like shadow shot should magically "miss" an opponent. DONT ANYBODY TELL ME IM WRONG CAUSE IM NOT WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN

I believe you frand.

If you look for it, you'll find this game is an inconsistent mess.

After that last clip I didn't know whether to facepalm or laugh.

Gw2 truly is a beautiful mess.

@"bethekey.8314"i saw your video, also i play engineer as well

i think you got some latency problemalso most attacks you showed was shot from 90* angle (max left/right side), so maybe for you it hited, but for server it's miss as for server your position was diferent and you culd not hit from that angle

what i mean

if somone dc, and you hiting his body or try f him, you can't as body is in diferent place, and cuz of dc server not refreshed player position

So actualy cuz of your or someone latency, you shoting to "body" who is displayed with lag (is 2-3 steps far from what is showed)

with that latency you need shot not at enemy (flamethrower) but bit front of him (like shoting to a plane and your misile have 1-2s time before it fly to target)like this

zY4d4MT.png

Maybe that schold help you not miss that much

for pistol skills i can't help much, becose it's auto-targetable, mean if you want be sure to hit, you need look on enemy by front not your left,right arm( i mean your character need look by front on enemy, not your camera)

at 3:33 of your vieo you got proff, as with your latency server took like you moved 1-2 steeps far, and refreshed your position with deleySo for server you was not stay close to target, but after himso it's like you shooted not looking on your target (as character)

Thats what actualy happyn therh9j7goF.png

@"Noah Salazar.5430"

I appreciate your effort in trying to explain these situations, but rest assured I live relatively close to the servers and typically have very good ping/latency (~50 ms).

In any case, if skills are not hitting in this way, then Guild Wars 2 should account for it to make the game more consistent. For example, Poison Dart Volley used to be a random (i.e. inconsistent) spray that got fixed shortly after I posted this video:

Nothing like this should exist in a competitive mode.

Thats neither mechanic, nor sidewalking, blind etc. Its bugged game, textures, whatever and been happening for quite awhile.In some cases you can even stand in 300 range and still miss your projectile. For example thief Dancing Dagger when used on enemy in 600-900 range misses about 50% of the time, because god knows why. If you use Natural Frenzy (Weaver sword skill) while enemy is outside of the range and then flash RIGHT NEXT TO HIM theres still chance that none of your projectiles will hit cuz its gonna bug. Even worse if u start casting it when he is oor and then start walking to him. Oh boi, this skills gets its range HALVED, and you dont even get "miss" notificiation, no, you just used that skill like on no-target.

This game is not competetive anymore for many reasons, balance is just one of them.

@Noah Salazar.5430 said:@"bethekey.8314"i saw your video, also i play engineer as well

i think you got some latency problemalso most attacks you showed was shot from 90* angle (max left/right side), so maybe for you it hited, but for server it's miss as for server your position was diferent and you culd not hit from that angle

what i mean

if somone dc, and you hiting his body or try f him, you can't as body is in diferent place, and cuz of dc server not refreshed player position

So actualy cuz of your or someone latency, you shoting to "body" who is displayed with lag (is 2-3 steps far from what is showed)

with that latency you need shot not at enemy (flamethrower) but bit front of him (like shoting to a plane and your misile have 1-2s time before it fly to target)like this

zY4d4MT.png

Maybe that schold help you not miss that much

for pistol skills i can't help much, becose it's auto-targetable, mean if you want be sure to hit, you need look on enemy by front not your left,right arm( i mean your character need look by front on enemy, not your camera)

at 3:33 of your vieo you got proff, as with your latency server took like you moved 1-2 steeps far, and refreshed your position with deleySo for server you was not stay close to target, but after himso it's like you shooted not looking on your target (as character)

Thats what actualy happyn therh9j7goF.png

These .jpgs are the most helpful thing I have ever seen anyone post. ty.

I’ve seen a number of old/new obstructed bugs recently where projectiles either disappear completely into thin air or I get an obstructed message from thin air. It even happens to channeled attacks at a partial rate where 3/5 shots will disappear but the last 2 shots will hit.

I should probably make a projectile bug compilation video. It isn’t just a skill specific issue (those projectiles that will miss easily/often outside a certain range). It’s a combination with poorly coded skills and the invisible wall bugs where projectiles get absorbed or obstructed by the game engine where no actual obstruction exists to block them.

@bethekey.8314 said:

@"Noah Salazar.5430"

I appreciate your effort in trying to explain these situations, but rest assured I live relatively close to the servers and typically have very good ping/latency (~50 ms).

In any case, if skills are not hitting in this way, then Guild Wars 2 should account for it to make the game more consistent. For example, Poison Dart Volley used to be a random (i.e. inconsistent) spray that got fixed shortly after I posted this video:

Nothing like this should exist in a competitive mode.

I agree the fact that you strafing or enemies strafing can cause projectiles to try to "guess" a trajectory is dumb in a competitive mode where most of the players will strafe. You can test it by having a scepter guard spam 1 while an opposing player strafes quickly back and forth, half the projectiles will miss due to the predictive pathing and the fact they don't try to correct course mid path. this can also happen if you strafe while firing certain projectiles too, especially if latency is involved.