Returning Player

So I'm sure there is a lot of this but searching give endless dead ends.I'm a player that stopped playing around 2014/2015. I came back just a couple weeks ago, and I'm lost.I did the lvl 80 boost on my ele and have the exotic gear. I've gotten raptor, springer and glider, and now I am not sure where to go. I need about 60 hero points to finish up weaver. But I am lost on gear and masteries and stuff in general. Some questions that may clarify where I am:Boost gear has all "of the elementalist" runes? This seems bad? It used to be IIRCAscended gear? What is it and should I be working for it?Is it worth getting masteries for heart of thorns stuff?Same for path of fire, what masteries are useful?What does it mean "the meta is up"? I understand that is a zone wide event but that is a shallow understanding.I'm lvl 80, with boost gear (which seems to suck, but maybe it doesn't?). Where should I be going, what should I be aiming for? I am basically running around tryint to get mounts, gliding, masteries, hero points right now, but I've not changed a single piece of gear since I first logged back in with the boost gear. I feel like I am doing things without understanding why I am doing them.

Any help is appreciated

Welcome back to Tyria! I'm sure other people will be able to give better answers than I can, but I'll make a start.

Hero PointsYou get these from hero challenges in the world (you might remember they used to be skill points). Ones in Core Tyria maps give 1 point each and ones in HoT and PoF maps give 10 points each but can be harder to do. Generally speaking ones in PoF are easier, but the best approach is probably to use the Looking For Group Tool or ask in map chat to find people who are doing them and go round as a group.

Boost GearThis is designed to help with survival - it has high defence (toughness and vitality) but relatively low damage. It's not necessarily bad, but not ideal for most builds. What would be better really depends on how you want to play your character, in particular whether you're focusing on conditions or direct damage. I'm sure other people will be able to recommend builds or you can find lots of recommendations online. I'm using Marauder's gear on my weaver, but I'm not sure if anyone would recommend that.

Ascended GearThis is the top tier of equipment in the game, but only slightly better than exotics and much harder/more expensive to get. (Which is still pretty easy compared to top tier equipment in most MMOs, but you can't just buy cheap versions on the trading post.) You only really need it for high level Fractals and raids, but it can be a good long-term goal if you want one.

Trinkets (amulet, rings & accessories) with 3-stat combinations are easy to get - they come from the laurel vendor in cities so you just need to save the laurels from login rewards to buy them. You can also get ones with 4-stat combinations or selectable stats in HoT, PoF and Living World maps. Weapons and armour can be crafted or drop from a few places (Fractals, raids and stike missions are the main ones).

MasteriesGenerally speaking masteries get less useful the higher up the chain you go. Some are required to complete the story in each expansion (but only 1st and 2nd tier ones) and others are needed to fully explore the maps but some of the later ones are only for a few very specific things. Personally I'd recommend focusing on gliding, up to Advanced Gliding (which means you don't run out of endurance and drop), and the first 3 tiers for each mount you have to unlock their special/improved abilities, then whichever ones sound most useful or interesting to you.

Meta eventsMeta-events are chains or groups of events which all link together and give an overall reward. Some are relatively small chains of 3 or 4 events, some (the ones people tend to announce) have multiple events happening at once which then feed into further sets of events and need lots of players coordinating to complete. Players like doing them, partially because they can give far more rewards than individual events but also just because they're fun to do. Each one works differently so if you want to join in and you're not sure how it works or what to do ask in map chat and someone will help, or look for a commander tag and follow them.

What should you be doing?This question has no answer and lots of answers. GW2 is a very open-ended game, especially at level 80. There's very little you need to do, even getting better equipment is largely optional, but lots of things you can do if you enjoy them. My answer is to focus on whatever you enjoy doing most. It seems like you've gotten a pretty good overview of what's available, at least in PvE so for now just focus on the things which interest you and you look forward to getting to do, or keep exploring the world and do whatever comes up. As you get more familiar with the game you'll probably find yourself setting goals, but those could be totally different to what anyone else does.

Boost gear is not optimal but it is free and offers some sustain rather than being too glassy.

Look for, and try out, builds for your professions. That will take time and gold to do as you acquire new equipment.

Join the "meta" event squads, champion squads, daily squads, and map or mastery squads for help. People use the term meta rather loosely without really thinking about its Greek origin so expect it to mean 'best' something-something.

Take a breather once in a while to focus on personal story advancement, fractals, dungeons, WvW, PvP and whatever else offers a change of pace. Too much grinding will wear you out.

@"Doc Smiley.3412" said:So I'm sure there is a lot of this but searching give endless dead ends.I'm a player that stopped playing around 2014/2015. I came back just a couple weeks ago, and I'm lost.I did the lvl 80 boost on my ele and have the exotic gear. I've gotten raptor, springer and glider, and now I am not sure where to go. I need about 60 hero points to finish up weaver. But I am lost on gear and masteries and stuff in general. Some questions that may clarify where I am:Boost gear has all "of the elementalist" runes? This seems bad? It used to be IIRCAscended gear? What is it and should I be working for it?Is it worth getting masteries for heart of thorns stuff?Same for path of fire, what masteries are useful?What does it mean "the meta is up"? I understand that is a zone wide event but that is a shallow understanding.I'm lvl 80, with boost gear (which seems to suck, but maybe it doesn't?). Where should I be going, what should I be aiming for? I am basically running around tryint to get mounts, gliding, masteries, hero points right now, but I've not changed a single piece of gear since I first logged back in with the boost gear. I feel like I am doing things without understanding why I am doing them.

Any help is appreciated

HoT masteries outside of the gliding line will mostly help you with navigating HoT/LS3 content. Unlock basic gliding, updrafts, and bounce mushrooms first as these will allow you to reach most areas in HoT. It is also a good idea to at least unlock the raptor mount by doing the first few minutes of the PoF story (if you don't mind skipping ahead a little bit!) and some players like to also play further into PoF and unlock the springer as these two mounts will make getting around a lot easier. Masteries are mostly about getting around easier.

Gearing up is not an RNG thing in GW2. You don't grind and hope for drops here. Instead, you'll either farm currency to buy from vendors (e.g. the Itzel vendor in Verdant Brink requires Itzel Language mastery to use, but sells stat-selectable exotic armor boxes which allow you to choose any stat you like!), craft, or buy gear off the Trading Post (core stats only).

The "meta" in this context refers to mapwide events which occur on a set timer every couple of hours in HoT maps. Each map has its own big event (e.g. Auric Basin Octovine battle happens every 2 hours on the hour while the chak gerent will happen 30 minutes prior every 2 hours on the half-hour).

If you want a great weaver build for open world that can be inexpensively geared, I recommend something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zxIU8ohfQYz5SgeFgjZZRpN-e

Weaver is a complicated spec to play, but this one can handle just about anything you come across in open world/story content.