Elementalist needs half melee/half ranged weapon type

Sifu.9745

I have in mind Hammer or Greatsword or double Axes maybe. Range of the weapon would vary, depends on Attunement.Fire Attunement: 1200 range, power and burning dmg.Air Attunement: 900 range, Power dmg, cc.Water Attunement: 450 - 600 range, healing and support, low dmg.Earth Attunement: 130 - 170 range, heavy power and bleeding dmg + defense.

Earth would be top dmg, because of melee, or we could swap Earth and Fire range, so Fire would get 130 range with hard hitting burning abilities, while Earth would be a safer 1200 range with much lower bleeding dmg, but better survivability. Or Air could be melee too, with Water being 1200 range. There are so many variations on horizon.

@Fueki.4753 said:Would that Attunement switching double as a button to teleport to the optimal range for that attunement?Or would one of the weapon skills be sacrificed for that?

Which profession does it?With other professions you can swap a melee weapon for a ranged one in the middle of the battle without any problems, Elementalist can't do that. The weapon's distance is fixed, regardless of the element. If you have a sword or a dagger and you are in combat with a Boss that melee is not good, you are screwed because you have nothing to do, you will only have melee attack. The same happens with ranged weapons, an enemy arrives that blocks projectiles, has no choice but to die from your own skill or stay running without attacking.

The suggestion is useful and your comment is sick.

• 3 weeks later...

They're not going to do it because Ele is already like Engi in that they can summon weapons to give them an edge in specific situations. For example, currently Sword Weaver requires an Ice Bow slotted for range as part of their balance.

Though I'd be in favor of maybe giving the Staff some melee attacks (Daredevil/Revenant style).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I came back to GW2 after 2 years break and i would like to add to this thread.This is actually something, that i currently consider a big issue in WvW. Elementalist is only class in the game, that have to decide, if he wants to have ranged weapon or melee weapon and is stuck with it because of the missing weapon swap. For example, if you have sword/dagger weaver and you find good ranger, thief or mesmer, they can just kite you to eternity, since you are not as mobile (i mean, that other classes got a lot mobility with the specializations, its not like in vanila, where i would consider D/D ele pretty mobile class). Also, even though, that ele is light armored, it doesnt feel like i have the big dmg output as a compensation. I would say, if i take berk warrior and berk ele, i should be the one doing more dmg right? But (at least it feels like it) warrior will have bigger dmg than me while having more health and more armor. And all that, with couple of skills + a lot of passive "invincibility", while i have to constantly play the piano, create fields and blast them to be atleast competetive. Thats the reason i find ele kinda unsatisfying. The amount of skill you need to have to be able to compete with some other classes.In short - same for staff ele in zergs - you need to predict enemies movement and then stay stationary for several second to cast meteors and other stuff and pray that enemies will not change their mind, while revenants will just "hammer go brrrrr" and will out-damage your poor weaver, that is currently on 50% health only from retaliation.

This could be quite interesting actually. Honestly, I don't really see how Anet fixes Ele's problems without a total rework of the class, but this suggestion could give us a bit more flexibility and creative play than just let us weapon swap in combat. Though, tbh, they sorta need to let us weapon swap in combat as it is lol.

shortbow ele would be hella fun they can draw inspiration from dragon's dogma's magic archer

@"ScottBroChill.3254" said:add in the new mechanic for bosses which switches in requiring melee or requiring ranged attacks. If you have a melee ele, which are most of it's viable builds, then half the battle you are just sitting around doing nothing.

Conjured weapons exist, 3 of em are ranged, we already have ranged option in this form of conjured weapons and they can be pretty powerful and are in meta DPS rotations "for a few skills i know but point still stand", just take one and it pretty much can last u all the ranged only phase