Superior Rune of Sanctuary

Rana.5739

I use it on my tank Scrapper, along with all other barrier stacking effects. Its absurdly tanky, almost nothing in the game can hurt her, and she's completely immune to one-shot mechanics even in high-level instanced content in PvE.

You don't even need defensive stats, just take the rune, all barriers, DPS+partial healing gear (like Zealot's), since Engi has +250 Healing Power with Regeneration, you'll always have full health and can easily restore it when it starts to drop.

This way whether you're dealing damage or healing yourself you're generating barriers from both.

Keep in mind one thing: Barriers are capped at 50% of your health, so if you're hitting the cap alot, you'll need to get +Vitality on some of your gear (Marauder/Valkyrie maybe), or you're just wasting barrier points to the cap.

Its so-so in WvW, since the coefficients of everything are so much lower there.

@"Rana.5739" said:Please that build does sound fun.

As an experiment I put Metabattle's Barrier Bruiser Build on a new scrapper and used the Sanctuary runes instead of the ones they suggested. Since I haven't run a scrapper before, I'm taking this one through Queensdale atm to give me time to get used to the new skills and such. So far I gotta say this is a pretty sweet build. I'm building up barriers faster in a fight than the baddies can damage me. Did one of the bandit champs in Queensdale with a couple of other folks and the champ barely scratched me before going down fairly quickly. As I get used to the mechanics I'll move to higher level maps of course but the first test drive of this build is really making me smile.

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@"Rana.5739" said:Please that build does sound fun.

As an experiment I put Metabattle's
on a new scrapper and used the Sanctuary runes instead of the ones they suggested. Since I haven't run a scrapper before, I'm taking this one through Queensdale atm to give me time to get used to the new skills and such. So far I gotta say this is a pretty sweet build. I'm building up barriers faster in a fight than the baddies can damage me. Did one of the bandit champs in Queensdale with a couple of other folks and the champ barely scratched me before going down fairly quickly. As I get used to the mechanics I'll move to higher level maps of course but the first test drive of this build is really making me smile.

Please keep me posted on this if you can. I am soloing a guild right now and I need something that can solo bosses easier.

@Rana.5739 said:Please keep me posted on this if you can. I am soloing a guild right now and I need something that can solo bosses easier.I created the new scrapper yesterday and ran it around in Queensdale for a bit. Today I took it out for a spin on a couple of PoF and Hot maps. Some things became pretty clear pretty quickly. This is not a magic build that suddenly makes me invulnerable. I did start taking significant damage from both bosses and random critters. Several times I was downed and once was completely killed. One of the major reasons for that was likely my unfamiliarity with the mechanics of the build. While it doesn't seem to be excessively complex, it still takes more familiarity than I have with this build so far. Having said all that, I think this build has the potential to be really solid. I just need to take the time to get familiar with it. The most durable builds I've found so far that work for me are a condi Herald and a minion master Reaper. (Both builds are on the Metabattle site linked above.) This barrier Scrapper may join that group. As I started a new alt to try out this build, for now I'm going to do map completion work with it to give myself time to learn all the build's ins and outs before heading back toward the advanced content with it.

• 3 months later...

Anet, can you please update this rune? I tried putting it in a Rev build, and quickly found out that passive heals do not create a barrier based on "20% of heals received."

In my case, Steadfast Rejuvenation did not create a barrier. Vengeful Hammers did, but that heals for a lot less than Steadfast so there were much smaller barriers. Other heals like Healing Signet and Soothing Mists do not work. I removed the runes before trying Battle Scars, not sure if that heals as its a trait too.

I'm hoping this rune can be corrected to generate a barrier from any heal received, as implied by the 6th buff on the rune. This rune is really interesting, and I really like the idea of barriers being generated based on heals. Especially from passive heals, as it gives you a consistent force field of protection. :D For the build I tried, having 5 seconds of bonus hp after using a heal skill was certainly not worth the loss of utility compared to other runes. I'd love to use this rune, and hope it gets reviewed!