AoE spam is simply too rewarding in this game....no it's not about the damage itself...

Supreme.3164

I don't have problems with the level of damage or being bursted down quickly.....I have problems with the excessive AoE spam in this game, it's far too rewarding for how little coordination it needs and I can't agree with that.

Specifically I have problems with Symbols and in a minor manner with Marks/wells , on a note I'd say that wells/marks would not be a problem during a match if not paired always with symbol spam that tend to cover the whole point.

I suggest to transfer the whole damage from symbols to weapons themselves , if anything Symbols should not deal this level of damage, particularly scepter symbol

Closing comment : I pray...End of Dragons will bring elites with far less access to AoE spam, 1-2 centered around AoE gameplay would be fine.....having like 7 elite centered around AoE spam like PoF...would end being the worst decision Anet has ever made and if that it's already the case....

Guardians are called guardians for a reason, they're guarding.

Scepter is the most offensive in term of AoE with bad projectiles because they are meant to be countered with long range free casting.

Staff AoE is much less aggressive while it's value has been put more into projectiles.

Td;lr don't like scepter, use staff.

Dragon Hunter is a variant of guarding with traps rather than symbols, it can do symbols but you're losing core value for that.

@Shao.7236 said:Guardians are called guardians for a reason, they're guarding.

Scepter is the most offensive in term of AoE with bad projectiles because they are meant to be countered with long range free casting.

Staff AoE is much less aggressive while it's value has been put more into projectiles.

Dragon Hunter is a variant of guarding with traps rather than symbols, it can do symbols but you're losing core value for that.

I laughed a bit, considering this was not the case for years, except for FB. But thanks to the major nerf to damage feel free to enjoy symbol spam. Or whatever spam the next class will do, since this is the optimal way to play the game now.

And when scepter symbol is considered offensive aoe, something seriously went wrong.

It's rewarding not in the context of effort vs payoff, but in the context of Conquest - same way first incarnation of Scourge was literally actively detrimental, because area control in a gamemode where you have to stay on points is obviously strong.

Ask for new gamemodes, not for further hits to Guardian. DH and FB are already pretty whatever, core is so and so.

@Gogdarth.6741 said:It's rewarding not in the context of effort vs payoff, but in the context of Conquest - same way first incarnation of Scourge was literally actively detrimental, because area control in a gamemode where you have to stay on points is obviously strong.

Ask for new gamemodes, not for further hits to Guardian. DH and FB are already pretty whatever, core is so and so.

The fact they nerfed the Range increased GM trait instead than start thinking about Conquest as the main source of the PvP balance.......speaks loudly about where the priorities are at Anet

The only problem with symbols was that they covered the entire node. This has now been addressed and they are easily counter-playable.

As for necro marks..... just.... LOL? Apart from the #2 they are not spammable (and the #2 is so bad you can literally ignore it), they do not last long / pulse, and they do very little damage.

I find it very strange that given the plethora of other AoE in this game, you would pick out these 2 specifically. Calling out necro marks..... when Renegade and Nadesmith are standing right over there laughing their tits off.

@"Ragnar.4257" said:The only problem with symbols was that they covered the entire node. This has now been addressed and they are easily counter-playable.

As for necro marks..... just.... LOL? Apart from the #2 they are not spammable (and the #2 is so bad you can literally ignore it), they do not last long / pulse, and they do very little damage.

I find it very strange that given the plethora of other AoE in this game, you would pick out these 2 specifically. Calling out necro marks..... when Renegade and Nadesmith are standing right over there laughing their kitten off.

From the original post:"I don't have problems with the level of damage or being bursted down quickly.....I have problems with the excessive AoE spam in this game"."1-2 centered around AoE gameplay would be fine.....having like 7 elite centered around AoE spam like PoF..."

What is wrong with guard and necro aoe being the most bothersome for the OP? Aoe corrupts & unblockables are pretty strong. Symbol uptime is insanely high on some builds.

@otto.5684 said:

I laughed a bit, considering this was not the case for years, except for FB. But thanks to the major nerf to damage feel free to enjoy symbol spam. Or whatever spam the next class will do, since this is the optimal way to play the game now.

And when scepter symbol is considered offensive aoe, something seriously went wrong.

Spam is an overused word, trying to imply the game was different in anyway before is delusional as well

@Shao.7236 said:

Spam is an overused word, trying to imply the game was different in anyway before is delusional as well

It was far from perfect, but was much better. Well played setups had pay-offs. Now, unless combined with chain CC they rarely work. The alternative is to play something tank and spam aoe damage on point. It is not as bad for some classes, but for guardian, this is exactly how game play devolved.

@Supreme.3164 said:I don't have problems with the level of damage or being bursted down quickly.....I have problems with the excessive AoE spam in this game, it's far too rewarding for how little coordination it needs and I can't agree with that.

Specifically I have problems with Symbols and in a minor manner with Marks/wells , on a note I'd say that wells/marks would not be a problem during a match if not paired always with symbol spam that tend to cover the whole point.

I suggest to transfer the whole damage from symbols to weapons themselves , if anything Symbols should not deal this level of damage, particularly scepter symbol

Closing comment : I pray...End of Dragons will bring elites with far less access to AoE spam, 1-2 centered around AoE gameplay would be fine.....having like 7 elite centered around AoE spam like PoF...would end being the worst decision Anet has ever made and if that it's already the case....

It's not AoE spam that's rewarding; it's pressing almost any button that's generally far too rewarding under any circumstance. Balanced only by cooldowns and with most attacks automatically guided by tab-targeting, it's hard to argue how just attacking indiscriminately isn't always the correct answer in every situation, especially considering how it's effectively required because, in order to down any particular player, it's absolutely necessary to force said player to burn through every, instant panic button and passive fail-safe in a build. AoE is just generally more annoying because GW2 PvP is entirely dictated by who controls three, 240-unit-radius circles on a map. AoE or no AoE, every build in GW2 is designed to cater to facerolling across a keyboard.