Content does not Scale on an Super Ultrawide monitor (32:9)

Hi All,

After 6 years I decided to come back to GW2 and I started doing story mode.

I have an ultrawide monitor of 32:9 aspect ratio. The game scales very well to this display, but not everything unfortunately.Whenever there's a dialogue scene in story mode, a big part from the top is cropped off. The same goes for cinematics that play within, these are always played back at a very low quality (480p?).

The character selection screen also doesn't scale, although this is not the biggest issue.

Any workarounds or fixes?

Thanks!

@"Valtari.9041" said:Hi All,

I have an ultrawide monitor of 32:9 aspect ratio. The game scales very well to this display, but not everything unfortunately.Whenever there's a dialogue scene in story mode, a big part from the top is cropped off. The same goes for cinematics that play within, these are always played back at a very low quality (480p?).

The character selection screen also doesn't scale, although this is not the biggest issue.

Thanks!

You need to adjust DPI in MS Windows and in game (Options>Graphic). Game also have preset size for UI elements (Interface Scaling) which change when you change DPI, so you might want to try find something that fits for your display.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options#Display

32:9 ration isn't enough information as we (or ANet) have no idea what your resolution might be and over how larger physical area your display are working. This resolution might also be too wide as from what I can see (googling) it is for having several smaller screen work over larger viewer width (cover angels our eyes would see from left to right outside of main focus point in centre).

Try to set up display or in video card to a more normal resolution that might work better with this game which will work in centre of screen. In start of Ultra Wide Displays with 21:9 dimension there where also issues where things either looked stretched out or had black boarders added to keep a 16:9 ratio in some games. Super Ultra Wide is a larger version of 21:9 dimension display. You could also try out run game in Borderless Fullscreen to avoid getting dimension that look strange on a larger screen.

In game cinematic had also issues on 21:9 (had one myself) where parts could be cut out or didn't display properly, there are still issues on character select screen even on 34 inch 3440 x 1440 resolution screen where charrs will be cut (cropped) vs other smaller races in game The 21:9 I had did also have lower resolution as it used 2560 x 1080 pixel compared to what I use now. It might be that your resolution is more tricky to fit with how this game have been designed as for ratio and resolution.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"Valtari.9041" said:Hi All,

Thanks!

You need to adjust DPI in MS Windows and in game (Options>Graphic). Game also have preset size for UI elements (Interface Scaling) which change when you change DPI, so you might want to try find something that fits for your display.

32:9 ration isn't enough information as we (or ANet) have no idea what your resolution might be and over how larger physical area your display are working. This resolution might also be too wide as from what I can see (googling) it is for having several smaller screen work over larger viewer width (cover angels our eyes would see from left to right outside of main focus point in centre).

Try to set up display or in video card to a more normal resolution that might work better with this game which will work in centre of screen. In start of Ultra Wide Displays with 21:9 dimension there where also issues where things either looked stretched out or had black boarders added to keep a 16:9 ratio in some games. Super Ultra Wide is a larger version of 21:9 dimension display. You could also try out run game in Borderless Fullscreen to avoid getting dimension that look strange on a larger screen.

In game cinematic had also issues on 21:9 (had one myself) where parts could be cut out or didn't display properly, there are still issues on character select screen even on 34 inch 3440 x 1440 resolution screen where charrs will be cut (cropped) vs other smaller races in game The 21:9 I had did also have lower resolution as it used 2560 x 1080 pixel compared to what I use now. It might be that your resolution is more tricky to fit with how this game have been designed as for ratio and resolution.

Thank you for the extended information. This definitely makes sense!I tried changing the DPI, but without success.

If it keeps bothering me, I'll see if I can swap with a 21:9 monitor. But so far, normal gameplay goes great.

@Valtari.9041 said:

@Valtari.9041 said:Hi All,

Thanks!

Thank you for the extended information. This definitely makes sense!I tried changing the DPI, but without success.

If it keeps bothering me, I'll see if I can swap with a 21:9 monitor. But so far, normal gameplay goes great.

If cinematic bother you too much then you might want to watch on YT (just for the story parts where scene might be cropped), but you might find spoilers as most are to guide player for achievements. As long game play works great then there isn't much issue. Do you have problems with party or squad UI? You can read chat (had to adjust DPI and preset for UI size as either text become too small to read or too large).

I received my 49" 5120x1440p monitor recently as well.

I'd say the proportions of the screen are completely the same as the resolution people see while playing on 2 regular 1920x1080 FHD screens or 2 2560x1440 UHD screens. There is just no bezel in the middle. For developers it would probably be the same as a spanned 2 screen setup, just place a second screen and evaluate. 2 and 3 screen solutions and resolutions have been supported by the game since.... well 2012. Playing on 2 or 3 monitor setups has been a thing for well over a decade now, almost 2 even... I played on 2 1080p monitors since 2011 myself and had a second monitor available since 2007 and I was pretty late adopting a second monitor....

However the UI problems and movie problems remain.

This said: The UI and the movies might well be adapted to be played unaltered but fitting to screen, not stretched but limited by the lowest cap, I do not mind seeing my characters scaled down in the selection screen so they fit, nor do I mind a bar or sideblocks in a 16:9 encoded film when I can watch it properly. Not seeing the top and bottom 25% is a bit annoying though.

Just a comparison:

Legacy 4:3 (or to easily compare: 12:9 (or 16:12))

Originally people had 4:3 (CRT and later TFT) monitors, the introduction of flat panels made more room for new resolutions but a lot of 4:3 TFT screens were made in the beginning.

• 640x480,
  • 800x600,
  • 1024x768,
  • 1200x900
  • 1600x1200.

For a small period of time a screen proportion with increased depth was also used 16:10, it extended the screen a bit downwards.However they were mostly used between 2005 and 2010 and were shoved aside by the upcoming 16:9 market.So in the end: replacing 4:3 was 16:9 the 1920x1080 (1080p or F(ull)HD) monitor,

"Normal monitors" (16:9) and upscaled derivatives

16:9 this proportion , the follow up to 16:10 screens and 4:3 screens, had more options like the

• 1368x768 laptop, (WXGA)
  • 1600x900 laptop, (HD+)
  • 1920x1080 (1080p or FHD)
  • 2560x1440 (1440p or QHD),
  • 3840x2160 (2160p or UHD or 4K)
  • 7680x4320 (4320p or 8K)

"Dual-xxxxp Setups, Double screens and Triple Screens" (32:9 and 48:9)

multimonitor setups were possible already so Double and Triple 1080p FHD monitor setups arose, and later Double and Triple 1440p QHDSome of these dual combinations were actually taken in production as a single monitor with advances in electronics allowing 4k60hz and thus dual1080p and dual1440p over 1 cable (which are less pixels then 4K, dual 1080p is 50% of the pixels of a 4K screen, dual 1440p is 87% of the pixels of a 4K screen) :

• 3840x1080 (dual 1080p or WFHD or D(ual)FHD, 32:9 proportion), either in 1 monitor or 2 monitors combined
  • 5120x1440 (dual 1440p, or WQHD, D(ual)QHD, 32:9 proportion) either in 1 monitor or 2 monitors combined
  • 7680x2160 (dual 2160p, or WUHD, D(ual)UHD or Dual 4k, 32:9 proportion) as far as I know in 2 monitors(, but if they can make 8k monitors these will appear as well)

With the release and the lowering of prices of bigger resolution monitors triple monitor solutions became also more common, they have the advantage over classic 2 screen dual setups that bezels are not in the center of the screen, however the proportions are even more extreme

• 5760x1080 (triple 1080p, 48:9 proportion).
  • 7680x1440 (triple 1440p, 48:9 proportion)

Ultrawide monitors (21:9)

A wider field of view was the wish leading to 16:9 and this wish inevitably led to even wider monitors sporting a 21:9 proportion:

• 2560 × 1080 (UWFD)
  • 3440 × 1440 (UWQD)
  • 5120 × 2160 (UWUD / 5K2K)

How to compare:

The GPU will calculate most resolutions without problems, and 1 thing should be observed. In nearly all these resolutions there is 1 common part in the proportions, with 16:10 being the 1 exception:12:9 (=4:3) (Legacy)16:9 (Standard)21:9 (Ultra wide)32:9 (Double or Dual)48:9 (Triple)

If we normalize the x:9 including the 16:10 exception we would get this complete list of proportions (excluding setups requiring vertically placed monitors):120:90 (4:3) (Legacy)144:90 (16:10) (early HD)160:90 (16:9) (Standard)210:90 (21:9) (Ultra wide)320:90 (32:9) (Double or Dual)480:90 (48:9) (Triple)

So looking at this: CONCLUSION:

• Suggested size of the characters on the character selection screens:

The maximum height of the character on the character select screen would also be in a 9:9 proportioned part placed in the center of the total screen size. This would cure all problems with non standard monitor setups once and for all.

• Suggestion for Movies and cut scenes:

Yes, universal movies for all horizontal screens would probably be 120:90 in proportion (so 12:9 or legacy 4:3) in size with a heigth of the height part of the proportion in the screen, so no loss of view would arise, stretching the sides to 160:90 (so 16:9 proportions) would allow for a 1080p/1440p/4K/8K picture but it should be noted the both sides would not be visible on legacy 4:3 or 16:10 monitors (horizontal cropping) or both 4:3 and 16:10 could have small black bars on top and bottom (vertical cropping), which is no huge problem at all. Double and triple setups would use the basic 16:9 videos and cut scenes, maybe with an added feature placing the video on the left or right screen or the center to have less interference from bezels, this would allow for complete visibility of the movie without loss , and I mostly use the huge screen area more for immersion during gameplay.

So sizes of the character on the character select screen, and video sizes would be deductible now:So on my 32:9 5120 x 1440pixel screen, the size of the character should be 1440x1440pixels (max, so Charr and Norn) and video 16:9 so 2560x1440So on the 21:9 2560 ×1080pixel screen, the size of the character should be 1080x1080pixels (max, so Charr and Norn) and video 16:9 so 1920x1080So on a normal 16:9 1920x1080pixel screen, the size of the character should be 1080x1080 pixels (max, so Charr and Norn) and video 16:9 so 1920x1080So on a huge 21:9 5k2k 5120x2160pixel screen, the size of the character should be 2160x2160 pixels (max, so Charr and Norn) and video should be 3840x2160So on a legacy 4:3 1600x1200pixel screen, the size of the charatcer should be 1200x1200pixels (max, so Charr and Norn) and video should be preferably: 1600x900 with bars or alternatively: 2133x1200 with clipping

Note: When considering vertically mounted screens as well:However if one would allow for rotated screens (9:16) as well, you'd end up with a 9:9 proportion being the viewable center for all possible screen resolutions. This consideration of vertically place monitors would add a lot of added options, but a 3 screen vertically mounted setup would lead to a 27:16 screen size and it's not incompatible with my suggestions. The video image could be scaled up with little loss, using a 12:9 picture which would mean a minor loss in viewing area. .The character could be kept on a 9:9, so the character on the character select screen would not be displayed on 3 monitors at once, causing 2 bezels to be in the FoV...

In all cases emphasis should lie that the focus of movies are shown in the center of the video which is the 9:9 center, comparable to the character select screen. This center should be available for view in any case with all monitor setups, with only vertical multi screen setups requiring additional attention to the size of the videoframe, because this setup is the only one which c-/would require resizing if people would not mind the bezels interfering in their videos and character select screen. which is arguably better then not seeing up to 50% of movies or characters on 32:9 and not seeing up to 66% of movies and characters on 48:9 triple screensetups

TL:DR I suggest to have the char select and movies be made to fit the screen, unclipped, unstretched.Because I rather see a smaller character completely and the movie completely then just the mid 50% on full width.To make this so I suggest the characters on character select are made to fit a 9:9 square on the 12:9(=4:3), 16:9, 21:9, 32:9,48:9, 16:10, 9:16, 18:16, 27:16 or other proportioned screens. this would be centered in all cases, except maybe the dual setups (32:9) and (18:16) where a bezel might interfere, there a slider might be of use to select 1/4 (mid left screen),1/2 (centered) or 3/4(mid right screen) of the screen for both video and character op character select placement (comparable to the position horizontal slider in the menu as is available now, which is mostly used to move the character from the bezel).

• Thanks 2

32:9 is not a very common aspect ratio, I'm running one myself with 3840x1080 and while I do love it, there are many games that are slightly broken. Most of the parts in this game scales well (and GW1 too). I don't think rendering and encoding the videos at this resolution is not something ANet can bother with, the people playing like this are very low.

Best solution I can give is to play the game in Windowed mode when doing story related content. Full screen mode is however a nice bonus in WvW and PvP, gives you a better view of the playing field. ;)

BUT content could be fixed easily for the pictures.... 32:9 seems like half of a 16:9 screen, however if it is just handled like a normal screen and a 1080 or 1440 or 2160 height limitation would be in place the chracters would be rendered without corruption.... the height is the limiting factor , the width seems important but on a single 49" screen or 2 or 3 27" screens even on 2 24" screens you'll have plenty to watch on a screen if it fits . looking at the knees to the neck of my characters feels... well.... lacking...

However with bezels in case of double screens maybe a shift left or right might be considered. place it on 1/4 or 3/4 in that specific case , make a selectord for 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 and have the thing caught.

• 10 months later...

Almost a year in and this issue is still not fixed? The problem can be seen all over, even during character creation, and could be fixed by simply centering and pillarboxing the content that can't be rendered at 32:9 instead of stretching to fit horizontally. I'll be happy to provide screenshots if needed.

• 6 months later...

Bump , I had hoped there would have been at least some consideration of this issue.

An example of the opening screen. Yes, it works. I can play NP.  BUT see for yourself: top quarter and bottom quarter are cut off.

https://i.imgur.com/x06Ubm4.jpg

Historic 

•             4:3 (= oldschool like  1440x1080,1200x800, 1024x768)
  • 5:4 (= oldschool like 1280x1024 (though I still have my 2001 IIyama Screen)

Present

• 16:9 (mostl modern screens: 1920x1080, 2560x1440, or 3840x1440)

• 16:10 (productivity screens 1920x1200, 2560x1600 increasingly rare)

• 21:9 Ultrawide monitors (2560x1080, 3440x1440, 5120x2160)

Variations on present and new native 

• 32:9 Dual monitor setups (spanned sets of 2x 1920x1080 or 2x 2560x1440, or even 2x 3840x2160) and since 2017 new Dual-Wide gaming monitors (5120x1440p or 3840x1080p NATIVE) (see Samsung Galaxy G9, Or G9 Neo, Samsung C49HG90*, Samsung C49J890DKR*,  LG UltraWide Dual QHD, Acer Nitro EI491CRP, AoC Agon AG49UCX2, Asus ROG Strix XG49 , Lenovo Legion Y44w*, LC-Power LC-M49-DFHD-144-C, Philips 498P9* e.o. )

• 48:9 (Triple monitor setups (spanned sets of 3x 1920x1080 or 3x 2560x1440) )

The dual and triple monitor setups have been around since 2005 at least.

The native setups DualHD and DualQHD are becoming more common since 2017 and 5 years is a lot in the industry.

But as their sizes are non standard some things need to be corrected.

I personally do not mind seeing my movies ingame 16:9, nor do I mind the selection part in my screen based upon a 16:9 picture. It retains the functionality if done so, and keeps the game playable!

I do like my 8:9 area on both sides to be rendered though, but I cannot see the map and the chatbox in 1 go, as they are a meter or 3 feet apart at this moment  Have the technical team look at the issue at least.

I doubt I'm the only person playing on a  setup using  5120x1440p, 3840x1080p native or 2 1920x1080p, 2 2560x1440p , or 2 3840x2160p spanned monitors (32:9).  I do think there will be people using 3 1920x1080p or  3 2560x1440p 

Edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472
fugly formatting
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

you could try using the split screen (or window snap) features of window... i know Windows 11 22H2 lets you drag a window to the top of the screen to select how many "panes" and which configuration (thirds split from left to right, halves (either top + bottom or left + right), quarters, etc) but that would require running GW2 in windowed mode.  

32:9 is becoming a more popular monitor size. enough so that Samsung has 240 Hz 49 inch and soon to be 57 inch dual UHD monitors.

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
removed default extra space between paragraphs
  • Sad 1