New Class Idea: The Luminary

Seventh Ranger.3968

Over the past while, I've come up with and been writing down designs for a potential new class for GW2 that I've decided to call The Luminary. I have the full document attached, but I'll give you the run down before you get into the heavy reading. It's a Yin & Yang themed class, that uses light and dark magic, switching back and forth between the two for different play styles. Every weapon and slot skill has different effects based on whether they're wearing the Mantle of Dawn or the Mantle of Dusk. They use either light or dark energy to cast their slot skills, which regenerates by using energy on the opposite Mantle. The more light energy you use up, the more dark energy you'll have replacing it, and vice versa, so proper energy balancing and Mantle swapping will be key. Their weapons are main and off-hand sword, main and off-hand dagger, staff, and greatsword, with trident as their underwater weapon. There's a lot more to it than just this simple run down though, so please check out the document, if you'd like. I'm no balance expert, so if there's something that seems too strong or too weak, please let me know. Any feedback is welcome, as long as it's not deliberately rude. Same goes for suggestions or further ideas. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. The document is long, so I'd advise taking it in chunks, one section at a time. Hope you enjoy!https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wbylG9hYE49HM195zNk6asHIJ3prmQsbTHE9vnd0Oxs/edit?usp=sharing

Update: The first Elite Specialization, Crusader, is now ready

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1034ZHkiW5WFuUSelKydMMSytfUHXF1mFGbPtHgY-Acg/edit?usp=sharing

Update: The second Elite Specialization, Beacon, is now ready

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1048zCocde4I99yLqs4rgMnLdbxnXzDJj8I2dnKHEy8o/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Seventh Ranger.3968
Added second Elite Spec: Beacon
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

@JohnWater.5760 said:Awesome idea!!Do you think an elite spec on the subject of astrology would be possible?I'd love to see something related to the stars.

Ooh, that's a fantastic idea, I love it! Also thanks for the compliment! Have you read the whole thing, or just some of it? I'm curious to know how much you got through XD

@Seventh Ranger.3968 said:

@JohnWater.5760 said:Awesome idea!!Do you think an elite spec on the subject of astrology would be possible?I'd love to see something related to the stars.

Ooh, that's a fantastic idea, I love it! Also thanks for the compliment! Have you read the whole thing, or just some of it? I'm curious to know how much you got through XD

I have to confess that I didn't read everything, I read until the swords skills and skipped to staff.

@JohnWater.5760 said:I loved all the effort and creativity that you did for this class, you made huge thing and it's awesome.I think the glyphs would match the class a lot more, since they change according to the state and signets don't.

Thank you so much for the compliment! <3I do agree that Glyphs fit fairly well thematically, but there's a reason I chose Signets. If you haven't read the Signet section yet, I'd recommend checking it out, cuz it'll probably make much more sense once you do. Basically I wanted those skills to be more passive. Also just in general, I liked the idea of Signets that had different sides, and flipped over when you swapped Mantles. I had intended them to synergise well with swords, and I did something with them that I don't think would work with Glyphs. I do like the idea of using Glyphs in one of the Elite Specs though, I think that could be a great idea!

• 1 month later...

@MatyrGustav.6210 said:Looks really good. I would love to play this profession.

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you liked it! How far did you get in the document? And also, do you have any comments, suggestions, or criticisms? I'd love to hear some thoughts/feedback :). Also, did you have a favourite weapon or slot skill set?

Update: The first Elite Specialization, Crusader, is now ready

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1034ZHkiW5WFuUSelKydMMSytfUHXF1mFGbPtHgY-Acg/edit?usp=sharing

(Apologies for the massive hiatus, Covid's been really screwing with pretty much everything in my life. I'll be updating both the main document and the Crusader designs soon, to reflect the change from Retaliation to Resolution.)

Nice work, but you'd really be better off suggesting elite specializations for the existing professions, since that has been Anet's chosen method of introducing new play. I can't see any new professions added at this point. And if they were to add one with EoD, wouldn't they add three? And wouldn't they then need 3 elite specs each to "keep up"? That all sounds improbable to me.

23 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Nice work, but you'd really be better off suggesting elite specializations for the existing professions, since that has been Anet's chosen method of introducing new play. I can't see any new professions added at this point. And if they were to add one with EoD, wouldn't they add three? And wouldn't they then need 3 elite specs each to "keep up"? That all sounds improbable to me.

I do have a medium armour class that I'm working on too, the Musketeer, with 2 elite specs for it as well, and a general idea for a heavy armour class, but you're right, they would want 3 elite specs. I'm waiting to see what they go with for the other classes first though, before I try and make a 3rd for Luminary or Musketeer. I want to make sure any 3rd elite specs I come up with don't clash either thematically or by overlapping with the new elites for the existing classes. Also if Anet doesn't use my ideas, I won't be too bothered, I mostly do this for fun, and to add to my portfolio for when I graduate college. XD

Thanks for the feedback though, and for giving my designs a read. I hope you enjoyed them. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seventh Ranger.3968 said:

I do have a medium armour class that I'm working on too, the Musketeer, with 2 elite specs for it as well, and a general idea for a heavy armour class, but you're right, they would want 3 elite specs. I'm waiting to see what they go with for the other classes first though, before I try and make a 3rd for Luminary or Musketeer. I want to make sure any 3rd elite specs I come up with don't clash either thematically or by overlapping with the new elites for the existing classes. Also if Anet doesn't use my ideas, I won't be too bothered, I mostly do this for fun, and to add to my portfolio for when I graduate college. XD

Thanks for the feedback though, and for giving my designs a read. I hope you enjoyed them. 🙂

I love the Crusader and the Musketeer concepts, they both are masters at arms and I would love to play them as well, I don't think the design team are interested in reading and considering good concepts like these ones, they just have their own design philosophy traveling in a different direction. If only they listened to the players...

Edited by Touchme.1097

1 hour ago, Touchme.1097 said:

I love the Crusader and the Musketeer concepts, they both are masters at arms and I would love to play them as well, I don't think the design team are interested in reading and considering good concepts like these ones, they just have their own design philosophy traveling in a different direction. If only they listened to the players...

Well who knows, maybe if some of the more promising fan designs get enough attention, they might at least incorporate some of the ideas into future content. I'd be happy with that. 🙂

Also thank you so much for the compliment, I'm really flattered that you like my ideas 🙂 . I've been really enjoying working on Musketeer, and can't wait to get the designs written out so I can publish and share them. Hopefully they'll either live up to your expectations, or be a pleasant surprise if they end up going in a different direction than you were imagining XD. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a favourite aspect of the Luminary Class and/or its Crusader elite spec?

Update: Both Luminary and its elite spec Crusader have now been updated to reflect the change from Retaliation to Resolution, as well as the change to Resistance. Most skills and traits that used Retaliation now use Resolution, and skills that used Resistance have been updated depending on their intended function. Skills and traits meant to serve the purpose of condition damage mitigation now use either Resolution or Resolution and Resistance, and skills and traits meant more to allow for immunity to impairing effects now use longer Resistance durations in most cases.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:52 AM, WindBlade.8749 said:

not gonna lie but the profession theme look like a fusion between revenant and an elementalist.

Yeah, it definitely is similar in a few ways, but I'd like to think I've put in enough effort to make it unique in its own right, so that it feels like a truly distinct and different class. Swapping Mantles changes not only your weapon skills, like swapping Ele attunements would, but also your slot skills AND your trait effects. As for the energy system, your energy fluctuates based on what slot skills you use, rather than going up or down on its own like a Rev's, making energy management on a Luminary very different from energy management on a Rev.