Difficulty choices for clocktower JP

Lini.2698

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't see why Clocktower or Winter Wonderland are considered hard, I mean, the killers for me are the ones in Southsun Cove (those stalagtites/stalagmites?) and the Aetherblade one in Gendarran Fields... now those got some awkward jumps.

Clocktower is a few jumps and mostly running on ledges, don't get me wrong though, it's one of the most enjoyable ones, maybe due to the urgency of the rising mists.

@Avelynn.2691 said:I would rather them try and fix the desyncing and stuttering that regularly occurs in there.

That used to be a huge issue for me before, but since I upgraded to a faster computer system, I am no longer experiencing lag, stuttering and the like.

I think the correct demand would be for ANet to polish their engine so that mid-end computers can play the game lag-free as well.

P.S. Not to be confused with the server-sided latency issue that plagues certain maps.

@Dondarrion.2748 said:I honestly don't see why Clocktower or Winter Wonderland are considered hard, I mean, the killers for me are the ones in Southsun Cove (those stalagtites/stalagmites?) and the Aetherblade one in Gendarran Fields... now those got some awkward jumps.

Clocktower is a few jumps and mostly running on ledges, don't get me wrong though, it's one of the most enjoyable ones, maybe due to the urgency of the rising mists.

Some of us (especially older players) simply don't have what it takes. For me, I don't care for JPs in the first place. Tried this one a few years ago and ... nope. Didn't do it for me either. What may seem trivial and easy to some is quite difficult and annoying for others. :)

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Dondarrion.2748 said:Some of us (especially older players) simply don't have what it takes. For me, I don't care for JPs in the first place. Tried this one a few years ago and ... nope. Didn't do it for me either. What may seem trivial and easy to some is quite difficult and annoying for others. :)

Yeah, I get that... I'm in my forties btw so I guess I belong in the older player category too ;)

@"kharmin.7683" said:Some of us (especially older players) simply don't have what it takes. For me, I don't care for JPs in the first place. Tried this one a few years ago and ... nope. Didn't do it for me either. What may seem trivial and easy to some is quite difficult and annoying for others. :)

I'm in my 60's. It took me until this year to finally conquer the clock tower.

First, if you're older, if your hands let you (mine don't always -- sometimes they hurt too much), practice practice practice on the hardest jps you can manage. It helps tremendously to be good at jumping puzzles to beat the clock tower. I finally tried trib mode in SAB this year and just threw myself at it until I started to succeed. It improved my skill on jumping puzzles enough to have a real shot at succeeding on the clock tower.

Second, do the clock tower in stages. Set goals. "I'll get to the first gear." "I'll get to the big drop." A lot of what it takes to succeed at the clock tower is knowledge of the course, because the jumps themselves aren't hard, it's just that you can't stop. Ever. You have to keep running no matter what, and setting a goal to learn the smoothest path to a series of targets really helps.

Third, give this video a watch. There's a lot of stuff to read at the beginning but the gold is that the YouTuber does slo-mo and freeze-frame to show you where to go and where to jump. It might help you.

Just to call it out of here... if you struggle at the clock tower because you have to move your hand too much, take a look at your mouse dpi settings. I found it easier on higher dpi as it wouldn't move my hand so much. There are several tutorials (theres a good one currently at reddit) that show you what to do, what to look out for and when you are no longer as time restricted (after the jump down you can actually stop to make jumps after the 1st sidewards cogwheel). This year I have seen a lot more players complete this jumping puzzle. And once you finished it once, I am sure you can finish it multiple times and it actually gets easy. Lastly, always believe in yourself. I think a lot more players can actually finish it even tho said players think they don't have it in them.

P.s I am not a good jumper in general but am finishing it all the time now.

I've done the Clocktower enough times now that the only difficult part is in trying to work out exactly how much you're lagging to the server so you can compensate for the final jump. :P If I'm lucky, I'm running with another player who's already completed the Tower once before so I can jump when they do, but otherwise, it's a real leap of faith.

Still, I do sympathise with the players struggling with the Clocktower. I think that perhaps there should be a way to enter a Clocktower (Practice) map where there's no strict time limit (no rising green goo) so they can learn the route and practice the jumps.