MacOS 64bit - Question regarding CPU/GPU usage

Hi,

I have been playing gw2 mostly on a PC until now, but I have had to change it out for a iMac for work.I get around 30fps around the different maps which is playable, the settings are at medium. Of course a lot lower on meta events.I have noticed that while running gw2 the iMac uses about 30-40% of its gpu and cpu capacity.

I have been trying to search around at the forums for a way to increase the usage of vram, but I have only found older solutions for the 32bit client...

Is there a way to improve the 64bit macOS client and increase the CPU/GPU usage other than changing the in-game settings (shadows, textures etc.)?

I am quite new to macOS, so all answers are appreciated. I know that the mac client and macOs isnt any good for gaming... so no need to tell me that xDI just feel like either the iMac or the gw2 client is limiting the usage of the resources although they have a lot to go on.

Thanks for any answers I get :)

@J Seeberg.8650 said:Hi,

I have been playing gw2 mostly on a PC until now, but I have had to change it out for a iMac for work.I get around 30fps around the different maps which is playable, the settings are at medium. Of course a lot lower on meta events.I have noticed that while running gw2 the iMac uses about 30-40% of its gpu and cpu capacity.

I have been trying to search around at the forums for a way to increase the usage of vram, but I have only found older solutions for the 32bit client...

Is there a way to improve the 64bit macOS client and increase the CPU/GPU usage other than changing the in-game settings (shadows, textures etc.)?

I am quite new to macOS, so all answers are appreciated. I know that the mac client and macOs isnt any good for gaming... so no need to tell me that xDI just feel like either the iMac or the gw2 client is limiting the usage of the resources although they have a lot to go on.

In short, dual boot Windows or Linux. The MAC client is depreciated and terribly optimised and there's little you can do.

The d912pxy gives Windows 10 users the ability to run the game in DX12. Linux users are able to access use of the Vulkan api via DXVK.Unfortunately MAC offers no such options.

@J Seeberg.8650 said:Hi,

The overall CPU usage doesn't really matter because the game taxes one core heavily. If you check your cores individually you should see one of them running close to 80-90% which is what is causing your slowdowns.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled with this for a long time (having an iMac as well) and have only found two things that helped with performance: An SSD and controlling temperature. I have a mid-2011 iMac and I can run 60fps low-medium settings (mostly) except in meta events. After I put an SSD in my iMac, load times were down to a few seconds and having my fans control temperature better reduced frame drop. I'm sure these would hold true for a newer iMac.