Next Ranger Elite With Rifle : Yes/No

ErenYeager.3914

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:Druid: pet nerfed for Celestial Form and group supportSoulbeast: only one pet in combat, but uber buffs the Soulbeast in Beast Mode

So the next spec should heavily focus on buffing the pet at the expense of the ranger. I suspect only a single pet will be able to be taken in combat. Having a CC weapon like hammer would emphasize this dynamic with the pet. You'd have traits like this:

You pet deals +25% damage versus controlled targets.Hitting a target with a crowd control skill gives your pet quickness and gives you protection.You and you pet have increased critical chance versus controlled foes (+25%).You and you pet steal health when you strike controlled foes.

You'd also gain physical skills that also CC the enemy.

Basically Warrior with hammer and physical skills but the pet gets to do kitten tons of damage for you. It would be broken and OP AF.

That wouldn't be good for WvW. Nor would it be welcome in sPvP. Might eventually find a place in PvE. My Heart say "No!", my mind say "Well, knowing GW2's devs..."

Exactly.

There was a time where I wanted ranger to get a rifle, and was disappointed that PoF handed that to thieves instead. But over time, I decided that ranger has enough single-target options, so I'd prefer something offering more consistent cleave. GS does a passable job of that in pve, but in spvp the removal of the evade on the autoattack chain means I can't stay in 2-3 peoples' faces anymore for extended periods of time in a dps build. Having a warrior-esque hammer would be nice, imo. Perhaps only 2 of the abilities would be true CCs, so as to have 3 of the abilities actually do damage in sPvP.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want for some caster like spec.I still have the same things in mind that could work on druid if they want to change some of the glyphs or for an other spec.scepter / corruption : I would love an off support spec for ranger. Corrupt enemies and empower allies with spells like thorn armor (barrier on allies + inflict bleed when hit),Hammer / cantrip : large aoes with effects depending on the seasons (For example creating bush working like the ones in mobas)

I'm usually first in line to point out that 'ranger' is not a reference to 'range' but to special forces.

But this time that's exactly why I say yes to rifle. I'm thinking that a build similar to the sniper build thief got should go to ranger.

A build built around a fantasy take on the modern Special Forces units.

• this would be an elite spec that assumes your weapons are rifle with a swap to dagger / torch. The kit would have boosts for those two weapons. Bonuses to initial attacks that when in melee become bonuses when the range is 200 or less. IE: you specialize in switching from surprise to extreme close quarters.
  • A defensive bonus when attacked from the side or behind in melee.
  • a conal area attack with the rifle - because even though autofire is amazingly bad accuracy in the real world - genre fiction like Rambo loves it...
  • The torch would set down fields, and the knife and rifle would have finishers.

Where the thief rifle I "think" was aimed at the idea of critical hits... this rifle would be about power hits. Rambo shoots from the hip and blows up buildings with bullets... somehow... we don't care how because it looks cool... So... there'd have to be at least one attack on the rifle that was an explosion.

Pet bonuses for pets reviving or pet stealth attacks. Or something that boosts power-based damage of pets or otherwise makes power-based pets better for this build than condition based ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Ranger in my opinion needs a spec that makes them more Ranger. Druid makes them magical, Soul Beast makes them more melee oriented, so i feel as though ranger doesn't have a spec that makes them "More Ranger" .

I think a specc called Hunter would be ideal. They would have a Rifle and possible tracking skills of sorts

• 1 month later...

Heck no ! Rangers get enough grief for the ranged weapons they have now . Off hand sword would be a nice addition. Maybe focus for better spirit summoning like the Ritualist . Now that would be cool.Hammer ? Bunny Thumper was a thing in GW1 because of the interrupts and I'm not sure how it would work here . Would end up looking to much like hammer warrior .

I'll give you this—it's a really funny mental image. I'm not invested enough to vote, but I was reminded of the old countryfolk in Grothmar... Just some frazzled old farmer with a janky old gun and an attack dog. It wouldn't be Ranger's greatest moment, but it would make for some funny characters. I'm not invested enough in any profession other than Mesmer to have any say in this but... It is funny.

• 4 weeks later...

@Fenom.9457 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I don't think the ranger is really in need of yet another ranged weapon.

It’s all in the name

"Ranger" is related to the verb "to range" with synonym such as to travel, to run through, to tour, to roam... etc. It's closer to the notion of "forester" or "gamekeeper". It's not related directly to the act of hiting a foe from a distance, it's part of the job but it doesn't define the job.