HoT = Dark Souls ? Casual Gamer perspective.

@Tren.5120 said:The Maps are Cancerous. They're chock full of MOBs. The Hero Points are put in some of the weirdest places. The mastery gating is ridiculous.

It's definitely more playable now, with PoFire Mounts, and that's why I quit 30 minutes after buying HoT until after PoFire was released.

the mastery gating was actually quite some fun back then, for a very long time i didn't level ley-line gliding for the sole reason that i wanted to complete the HoT maps without. i did the shroom insight in VB without poison mastery even though i died a lot just because it was fun trying. dying doesn't mean a thing in mmorpgs, so why not?getting a new gliding level was a big achievement, a big improvement and we loved to explore map areas not meant to explore in core. gliding also didn't do a lot of harm, so it was just a fun addition. it prevented you from dying of fall damage in core, gave you some new safe spots in JPs with the right reaction time, removed the stupid and useless infight slowdown if a cliff is nearby (gliding has normal movement speed even in fight, leaning forward is as fast as swiftness) while not providing a big game changer.there there were those useless masteries like exalted gathering that were no fun at all but they didn't matter that much as they didn't block useful stuff.then PoF came, mounts were introduced, we rushed for mounts and now there is always the choice: do i want to restrain myself from the biggest buff possible to have some of the old fun back or play at optimum and have everything turned into a telltale without actual tale? mounts are good to skip mobs or farm nodes but oh does it hurt to have to always make a decision between fun and comfort.

Pray they don't make the same mistake in the next expansion. PoFire was much better than HoT - it isn't even close. The only issue I have with GW2 is that the content is too derivative, and there isn't much meat in it, in terms of progression. That's why I'm getting my friend on ESO. SO we have something that has better long term progression goodness in it.

i pray they don't make the same mistake that PoF is in the next expansion. i certainly do. icebrood seems promising. though masteries go way too easily, you never have to play the maps (so i actually didn't play any of them for any useful amount of time), story does all the XP and mastery points already ...

I though the bacon mastery was a cute challenge. It's very easy to bring a friend, or ask someone to help you in /map chat, or just drop your own heal-over-time-effect before you eat the bacon. It's weird and silly (like some of the mini-games that have you doing stuff like becoming a beetle or a mushroom) but it's also like a 2-minute diversion that you only have to do once.

@wmtyrance.3571 said:

@"AdamWarlord.6782" said:Edit: This post is to voice a percentage of player base's opinion(may it be a minority, majority, or even just me) on HoT including mine.
I have nothing less than love for the game Devs and the community
. I have been playing for 2-3 years atleast, and have played some GW1 back in the day. Im not just throwing shade on the HoT content.
I am trying to voice my opinion and my experience in a straightforward manner.

Alright, so i just finished up my online classes and studies for my upcoming third year exams and I sit to do my daily completion of a legendary, going on for weeks now. As you can understand, i don't have more than maybe 2-3 hours to play at best. Completion of Eternity and other core legendary weapons took time, but atleast it was doable without frustration and having "fun". When it comes to HoT, I don't know what i am even doing. I am trying to go around the map 90% of the time trying not to die because the floor minion mobs are so OVERPOWERED. I have been playing the game for 2 years, and i have avoided HoT every chance i got because of the same exact reasons i am about to mention.
  1. Its very hard to see, hate the map design and how dark it is in 70% of the places.
  2. Lags way too much on my mid end laptop.
  3. Floor mobs are wayy too overpowered and feel like boss mobs.
  4. Hence because of the same reason above, VERY hard to level up the masteries.
  5. Why do masteries you ask? Because there are wayy too many hero points and other aspects of the completion of HoT, which require doing them. Which sucks.
  6. I can't Solo 50% of the hero points, being a max reaper.
  7. WAIT, I NEED TO DO A ADRENALINE MASTERY TO DO A HERO POINT WHICH CONSUMES MY LIFE WHEN I EAT BACON? WHEN MY LIFE POOL IS 22k??
  8. I actually start to rage(sorry for caps above) playing guild wars 2, which is 90% of the time fun, except when i play HoT.
  9. And due to the above reasons i mentioned above, I actually can feel better playing DARK SOULS than HoT.

I also get why they would be reluctant to nerf the mobs more and bring some player driven balance , but atleast 50% if not more gamers are casual on gw2 and want to play not to rage but to have a good time, i don't mind taking months to get my legendary, BUT ATLEAST let the process be fun. I don't want to get grabbed by a rip off stegosaurus while i'm on my raptor and get 2 shot with 22k health. Any balance, related to player level, or player-online time based balance on mobs, a bit more lighting in HoT maps, a bit more of anything. I get HoT is a very old expansion and that Cantha is coming. But atleast respect your players who are trying their hardest to stick to the game and trying to voice their opinions for a change. And of-course please try providing it. Alright! Back to returning to a checkpoint which takes me halfway across the map from the hero point i just died on, and try to re attempt it with broken armor, because there is no repair station nearby, and i don't have a million repair canisters because i'm a casual.

Edit: I realized they have nerfed the difficulty once, i can't imagine what the mobs were like.Edit: I get where most of you all are coming from, But as i said, its my opinion and many other casual gamers opinion on the content. Leading to a player driven balance, not a balance for everyone.

This post hit the nail on the head. And of course, he is going to be told that it's him that sucks playing even though for 80 levels of the base game he was playing fine.

Like it was already said many times: it's because the major part of the core game is simply too easy.

The expansions have not been made for those players that loved the base game.

Nope, it's for people that loved the base game, understood the core mechanics and wanted something new instead of repetitive simplified tutorial-like content they can play at any given moment, because nobody took that core part from them.The best thing to show the attitude of people like you or OP is probably to look for posts of people that tried to help someone complaining about one of PoF storyline bosses. They've included videos, offered multiple ways to EASLY complete the encounter, doing it with undergeared (as in below exotic) characters. From what I remember, the main answer they received boiled down to: "I don't want you to help me, I want it to be easier". And this is what this complaint is: the content isn't exactly too hard, you just don't understand the mechanics of the game. Catering to players like this is the death of the game, which inevitably will still bleed players due to stagnancy like any other mmorpg.You want core content? Then play core content.

(...)listening to the armchair know it alls in this community who claim to speak for everyone.

But the devs here are more worried about pissing off the armchair forum posters that think they know everything that players want.

...and somehow, in your mind, you managed to convince yourself you don't fit that desciption, right? :D

• Confused 1

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

@Asgaeroth.6427 said:he game has plenty of room to have crushingly difficult content available to those who need it and also not be a miserable slog for the vast majority of people who install the product. HoT surface mobs in the gathering and public event areas was not and is still not the right place for brutalizing difficulty spikes.

i am here to play a mmo, not a coop. why should all the fun parts be gated in coop modes (aka instances) when the game is said to be a mmo? that doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense.i hate instanced content and i am glad we do have some difficulty in mobs in HoT and drizzlewood (actually in core too with the bandit champs) but i would like more of it.

Because nothing is really challenging when you can gather 50-150 people and just auto attack it to death.That is why challenging content is instanced were they can decide how many that can enter at once.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Asgaeroth.6427 said:he game has plenty of room to have crushingly difficult content available to those who need it and also not be a miserable slog for the vast majority of people who install the product. HoT surface mobs in the gathering and public event areas was not and is still not the right place for brutalizing difficulty spikes.

i am here to play a mmo, not a coop. why should all the fun parts be gated in coop modes (aka instances) when the game is said to be a mmo? that doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense.i hate instanced content and i am glad we do have some difficulty in mobs in HoT and drizzlewood (actually in core too with the bandit champs) but i would like more of it.

Because nothing is really challenging when you can gather 50-150 people and just auto attack it to death.That is why challenging content is instanced were they can decide how many that can enter at once.

just because you can doesn't mean that it's always the case. it, however, does mean that anyone not experienced or mechanical gifted enough for it can succeed at the highest difficulty if there is some organization and help. how many people have balthazar hp in AB completed even though they would never stand a chance? the mmo principle is that there are people, people that can help. CAN. or you do it solo.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Asgaeroth.6427" said:he game has plenty of room to have crushingly difficult content available to those who need it and also not be a miserable slog for the vast majority of people who install the product. HoT surface mobs in the gathering and public event areas was not and is still not the right place for brutalizing difficulty spikes.

Instanced PvE will always be the place to have the biggest difficulty progression, but I wouldn't write off Open World completely. There's been some interesting event design over the years that rewards both coordination and having a few players go "above and beyond" (a simple, low-effort example of both is Dragonfall: you can follow the tag blindly if you want, but players who solo the pylons or save the boss trio stage by doing callouts and directing the distribution of players between bosses; a higher-effort example is something like Dragon's Stand, where a single person who knows how to CC and DPS well rotating from pods to bosses can save the whole meta, or too many people trying to do that poorly could doom it). I hope they do more stuff like that in future maps.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"AdamWarlord.6782" said:Edit: This post is to voice a percentage of player base's opinion(may it be a minority, majority, or even just me) on HoT including mine.
. I have been playing for 2-3 years atleast, and have played some GW1 back in the day. Im not just throwing shade on the HoT content.

Alright, so i just finished up my online classes and studies for my upcoming third year exams and I sit to do my daily completion of a legendary, going on for weeks now. As you can understand, i don't have more than maybe 2-3 hours to play at best. Completion of Eternity and other core legendary weapons took time, but atleast it was doable without frustration and having "fun". When it comes to HoT, I don't know what i am even doing. I am trying to go around the map 90% of the time trying not to die because the floor minion mobs are so OVERPOWERED. I have been playing the game for 2 years, and i have avoided HoT every chance i got because of the same exact reasons i am about to mention.
  1. Its very hard to see, hate the map design and how dark it is in 70% of the places.
  5. Why do masteries you ask? Because there are wayy too many hero points and other aspects of the completion of HoT, which require doing them. Which sucks.
  7. WAIT, I NEED TO DO A ADRENALINE MASTERY TO DO A HERO POINT WHICH CONSUMES MY LIFE WHEN I EAT BACON? WHEN MY LIFE POOL IS 22k??
  8. I actually start to rage(sorry for caps above) playing guild wars 2, which is 90% of the time fun, except when i play HoT.
  9. And due to the above reasons i mentioned above, I actually can feel better playing DARK SOULS than HoT.

I also get why they would be reluctant to nerf the mobs more and bring some player driven balance , but atleast 50% if not more gamers are casual on gw2 and want to play not to rage but to have a good time, i don't mind taking months to get my legendary, BUT ATLEAST let the process be fun. I don't want to get grabbed by a rip off stegosaurus while i'm on my raptor and get 2 shot with 22k health. Any balance, related to player level, or player-online time based balance on mobs, a bit more lighting in HoT maps, a bit more of anything. I get HoT is a very old expansion and that Cantha is coming. But atleast respect your players who are trying their hardest to stick to the game and trying to voice their opinions for a change. And of-course please try providing it. Alright! Back to returning to a checkpoint which takes me halfway across the map from the hero point i just died on, and try to re attempt it with broken armor, because there is no repair station nearby, and i don't have a million repair canisters because i'm a casual.

Edit: I realized they have nerfed the difficulty once, i can't imagine what the mobs were like.Edit: I get where most of you all are coming from, But as i said, its my opinion and many other casual gamers opinion on the content. Leading to a player driven balance, not a balance for everyone.

This post hit the nail on the head. And of course, he is going to be told that it's him that sucks playing even though for 80 levels of the base game he was playing fine.

Like it was already said many times: it's because the major part of the core game is simply too easy.

Nope, it's for people that loved the base game, understood the core mechanics and wanted something new instead of repetitive simplified tutorial-like content they can play at any given moment, because nobody took that core part from them.The best thing to show the attitude of people like you or OP is probably to look for posts of people that tried to help someone complaining about one of PoF storyline bosses. They've included videos, offered multiple ways to EASLY complete the encounter, doing it with undergeared (as in below exotic) characters. From what I remember, the main answer they received boiled down to: "I don't want you to help me, I want it to be easier". And this is what this complaint is: the content isn't exactly too hard, you just don't understand the mechanics of the game. Catering to players like this is the death of the game, which inevitably will still bleed players due to stagnancy like any other mmorpg.You want core content? Then play core content.

(...)listening to the armchair know it alls in this community who claim to speak for everyone.

But the devs here are more worried about pissing off the armchair forum posters that think they know everything that players want.

...and somehow, in your mind, you managed to convince yourself you don't fit that desciption, right? :D

I don't because my post count is lower than yours.

@wmtyrance.3571 said:

It's hilarious that you think it's in any way relevant.

And the actual emphasys here was on "who claim to speak for everyone" and "that think they know everything that players want".

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

And the actual emphasys here was on "who claim to speak for everyone" and "that think they know everything that players want".

Yeah, I do because my account was created at the launch of the game. And most of my posts are agreeing with posters that feel like I do only. I never tell devs to change the game to fit what I want. I just say how I feel.

@wmtyrance.3571 said:

Yeah, I do because my account was created at the launch of the game.

So was mine, not sure what point do you think you have here.

And most of my posts are agreeing with posters that feel like I do only. I never tell devs to change the game to fit what I want. I just say how I feel.

In this very thread OP (and you) disagrees with the direction devs went with the game in expansions and tell them to change the game "because it's too hard" (maybe it's time to learn the game's mechanics), how can you pretend you "only agree with others and don't tell devs to change the game to fit what you want"? This is exactly what you're trying to do here.You automatically think your opinion is the one and only correct of actual majority of gw2 playerbase, meanwhile anyone holding a different opinion is just "vocal minority" and "armchair know it all who claim to speak for everyone" -both of which are baseless statements. Somehow you don't see anything ironic in the position you've decided to hold here?

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

And most of my posts are agreeing with posters that feel like I do only. I never tell devs to change the game to fit what I want. I just say how I feel.

In this very thread OP (and you) disagrees with the direction devs went with the game in expansions and tell them to change the game "because it's too hard" (maybe it's time to learn the game's mechanics), how can you pretend you "only agree with others and don't tell devs to change the game to fit what you want"? This is exactly what you're trying to do here.You automatically think your opinion is the one and only correct of actual majority of gw2 playerbase, meanwhile anyone holding a different opinion is just "vocal minority" and "armchair know it all who claim to speak for everyone" -both of which are baseless statements. Somehow you don't see anything ironic in the position you've decided to hold here?

No, I said the content difficulty of the expansions does not match the base games 80 levels of gameplay and turns some people off. You can try and twist my words into whatever you want. But what I said is still true. They also I think know they have a problem because they are only doing new accounts with the steam launch. Not once did I say they should change it. I just mentioned what everyone knows is true.

@wmtyrance.3571 said:

No, I said the content difficulty of the expansions does not match the base games 80 levels of gameplay and turns some people off. You can try and twist my words into whatever you want. But what I said is still true.

I'm not twisting anything. You said you don't tell the devs how to change the game and yet you're in a thread arguing that their decisions about expansion content is bad and should be something else.

They also I think know they have a problem because they are only doing new accounts with the steam launch.

What problem? And how is the "only new accounts with steam launch" relevant to that problem?I seriously don't understand what you're talking about in this sentence, please explain.

Not once did I say they should change it.

If that's not about changing it, then what exactly is the point of writing what you (and OP) are writing?Also just a reminder that you wrote this:

@wmtyrance.3571 said:They refuse to balance the mobs in the expansions to match the mobs of the base game. They made the maps in the expansion annoying and hard to get around. No other MMO does this with its maps. The game needs new management to bring back the fun of the launch of the game. But the devs here are more worried about pissing off the armchair forum posters that think they know everything that players want.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1353507/#Comment_1353507There's no need to lie now, because you realise you're doing something you falsely claimed "the others" do.

I just mentioned what everyone knows is true.

What "everyone"? Very clearly there are plenty of people disagreeing with your opinion. Stop bending the facts to fit your narrative.

Bottom line remains the same: if expansions are too hard for you, improve your game mechanics knowledge. If you want to sleep on core content, stay on core maps and stop pulling everyone down with yourself.

• Confused 1

@"wmtyrance.3571" said:They also I think know they have a problem because they are only doing new accounts with the steam launch.

What makes you think that decision has anything to do with difficulty or any other in-game issue? The obvious reason for "new accounts only" is that Steam will be taking 30% of sales, so ANet does not want to lose 30% of the income from existing accounts that spend money if ANet allowed them to register the account through Steam.

@wmtyrance.3571 said:No, I said the content difficulty of the expansions does not match the base games 80 levels of gameplay and turns some people off.

Something that has been true for 3 years before HOT launched. Or have you forgotten the Young karka, the Reef Drakes, the Molten Berserkers, the Toy Princess, and all the other additions to the game that were fundamentally different to the base game's 80 levels of gameplay . People turned off by the expansion, what have they been doing between release and the expansion launch? Taking a break?

@wmtyrance.3571 said:

No, I said the content difficulty of the expansions does not match the base games 80 levels of gameplay and turns some people off. You can try and twist my words into whatever you want. But what I said is still true. They also I think know they have a problem because they are only doing new accounts with the steam launch. Not once did I say they should change it. I just mentioned what everyone knows is true.

I thought core game was to hard before hot so i didnt leave starter area should all content be brought down to that lvl i was in some years ago

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

I thought core game was to hard before hot so i didnt leave starter area should all content be brought down to that lvl i was in some years ago

The problem really isn't that HoT was harder than the rest of the game. It's that the difficulty didn't ramp up, but was a drastic bang. You started in the deep end of the pool.

People who ran dungeons or hard fractals had a lot less trouble with HoT but the open world was far more difficult than the open world of core tyria, not just in the difficulty of the creatures, but also the complexity of the maps and the need for masteries to navigate them. The combination of the three was very challenging for some players.

A simple example...there are these modrem snipers that shoot red lines of death at you. It's easy enough to just move out of them, but they're often accompanied by mordrem tormentors, that put torment on you, which does more damage when you're moving. A good player knows to only move slightly or use condition removal to remove the condition before moving, but a lot of players don't realize it, because the core game didn't really require them to think that hard.

Had the difficulty gradually ramped up, HoT would have been more easily accepted.

@Vayne.8563 said:

The problem really isn't that HoT was harder than the rest of the game. It's that the difficulty didn't ramp up, but was a drastic bang. You started in the deep end of the pool.

People who ran dungeons or hard fractals had a lot less trouble with HoT but the open world was far more difficult than the open world of core tyria, not just in the difficulty of the creatures, but also the complexity of the maps and the need for masteries to navigate them. The combination of the three was very challenging for some players.

A simple example...there are these modrem snipers that shoot red lines of death at you. It's easy enough to just move out of them, but they're often accompanied by mordrem tormentors, that put torment on you, which does more damage when you're moving. A good player knows to only move slightly or use condition removal to remove the condition before moving, but a lot of players don't realize it, because the core game didn't really require them to think that hard.

Had the difficulty gradually ramped up, HoT would have been more easily accepted.

HoT was def a shock to many, but I think a lot of people also skipped LS2 and went straight into the expac on returning to the game. LS2 def provided some ramping up as the mordrems were much tougher than core mobs and story instances had some pretty tough bosses in comparison to what we were used to. I think even now, LS2 gets largely overlooked by players going from core straight into an expac (understandable)

Certainly my extended time in SIlverwastes made me a lot more prepared for HoT

@Vayne.8563 said:A simple example...there are these modrem snipers that shoot red lines of death at you. It's easy enough to just move out of them, but they're often accompanied by mordrem tormentors, that put torment on you, which does more damage when you're moving.

Mordrem Thrashers in Dry Top / Silverwastes combine sniper + tormentor by spreading a line of death, that also causes torment, cripple, and poison. Furthermore, before HOT launched they used to be immune to damage unless you hit them from behind (the part where the line of death originates from)

Mordrem Wolves used to easily 1-shot kill players when hitting them from the sides or behind, also swarming the player in big numbers. They also had retaliation on them which meant instant death if you tried to use mass area of effect damage, combined with their much higher health, made them much more deadly than HOT pocket raptors. HOT launch neutered them, reducing their damage to pitiful numbers and replacing retaliation with swiftness.

Beetles in Dry Top used to be immune to damage (blocking all attacks), unless you hit them from behind. They also lost their immunity after using hard CC on them (they flip side if you knock them down), making them more deadly to deal with than the types of Mushrooms or Mordrem riders you see in HOT that also charge you, but aren't immune to damage. HOT launch removed the immunity

Even earlier than Dry Top / Silverwastes we had mobs that taught a lot of the necessary skills required by HOT:Young Karka (released in 2012) are excellent teachers of how to avoid ranged projectile attacks, like from Mordrem Snipers, Mordrem Sharpshooters and various types of Chak.

Toy Princesses (released in 2012) are excellent teachers of how to deal with conditions (or kill yourself)

Even core tyria can teach valuable lessons:Destroyer Harpies and their projectile death attack, Earth Elementals and their projectile reflection and the exploding Risen are some of the more interesting foes.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:HoT is a masterpiece, near perfect, or even a perfect expansion. i played it on lauch when it was even more harder. was challengeful, epic u make your to dragon stand.The only valid criticize of HoT i find is the history mode feel rushed.pls dont "touch" it.

This ^^^^^^.

I won't deny I am a HoT > PoF person. HoT encouraged me to explore more of the maps and find all the nooks and crannies where as out of 31 toons I think 0 finished PoF maps for whatever reason. HoT was a mindset change from core. From core people were used to a trend that you did a map from start to finish. In HoT and then some in PoF players were asked to not finish something since they needed to grow before finishing. Start here and come back. I feel there was more of that in HoT and the completionists I know had a harder time of that fact. But to me that added depth to HoT since I know, wait I can't get there yet, what else is there I haven't found yet. Let's go and see. I didn't get that feel in PoF. That and lack of meta meant while I was still going to HoT events, PoF had an endstate.

As far as mobs and NPCs, it was more irritating in PoF since the agro range was so much larger in PoF due to I believe was range adjustments due to mounts. They weren't more challenging, they were just more annoying since you would be a ways away and then randomly attacked by things you passed a while ago.

I am still trying to figure this one out, but I feel that the collections and achivos in HoT were better than PoF as I am still working on HoT ones but not the ones in PoF. Again haven't gotten to the root of that difference, but its there.

I think HoT had more of, you might not win, scenarios which though can be frustrating are good to have. People should not feel that they can AFK thru objectives. People should be rewarded more for their participation versus just being on map.

But..if I was ANet I would look for the things that drew both HoT and PoF people and find middle ground. Areas where people are challenged and areas that are more relaxed, metas, and places to roam and free explore coupled with easter eggs to find that might not be game limiting but encourage people to seek those far away hidden spots for the extra joy of finding them, and of course the elusive shinnies to work towards.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:HoT is a masterpiece, near perfect, or even a perfect expansion. i played it on lauch when it was even more harder. was challengeful, epic u make your to dragon stand.The only valid criticize of HoT i find is the history mode feel rushed.pls dont "touch" it.

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:This ^^^^^^.-- snip --

I do not like HoT. I don't visit those zones unless I'm helping a friend or for some other very compelling reason. I very much admire the maps (but can't quite agree with them being called a "masterpiece) but I struggle with the mobs. That's just me. HoT is not a perfect expansion in my eyes.

Having said that, I would not want Anet to change anything (further) in HoT because there is a subset of the player base that really enjoys them.

PoF might have swung a bit too far in the other direction (although I still detest the aggro radius of many of the mobs and very lengthy tethers). I think that some of the LW maps after PoF did a better job of working toward a middle ground but aren't quite there yet for my tastes. For me, there is now a diversity of map style/content that allows players to play what they enjoy (HoT, PoF or LW maps).

@Vayne.8563 said:

I am inclined to agree. HOT expected you to use all of, or at least more of, the tools the game makes available to your character in order to succeed. Open world prior to HOT generally did not.

Personally I like the challenge but dislike the map designs, but to each his own.