Witch and Wizart hats

asterix.9614

Not as easy as it sounds. Unless you're ok with every hair style automatically clipping through it in a painfully obvious way.

And just saying...... to even start doing what you're thinking, they'd have to break down every hair style into 5 or more pieces, and render them as 5 or more pieces (which in this engine is literally 5 more models worth of overhead per character added to the load). Even more modern MMOs take short cuts with hair to keep its as least complicated as possible.

@starlinvf.1358 said:Not as easy as it sounds. Unless you're ok with every hair style automatically clipping through it in a painfully obvious way.

And just saying...... to even start doing what you're thinking, they'd have to break down every hair style into 5 or more pieces, and render them as 5 or more pieces (which in this engine is literally 5 more models worth of overhead per character added to the load). Even more modern MMOs take short cuts with hair to keep its as least complicated as possible.

adding hair is easy, all they need to do is actually adding hair on the head gear itself, you're thinking to complicated.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:Not as easy as it sounds. Unless you're ok with every hair style automatically clipping through it in a painfully obvious way.

adding hair is easy, all they need to do is actually adding hair on the head gear itself, you're thinking to complicated.

He means if you want it to match the hair style you've chosen. If you want it just to have generic black hair hanging down for instance, yes that would be easy.

@Kako.1930 said:The swag hat has hair and looks great. Do the same for the witch/wizard hat!

Yep, this is the best way to do these kind of hats if they can't show the character's actual hair. Just add a default, dyeable hairstyle to the hat itself, far better than making everyone bald or, worse, adding leather flaps to the hat.

They would not need to "match" hairstyles, as almost all of the hair would be hidden beneath the hat anyway. You cannot exactly go wild with styles when your hair is almost completely covered by a hat, can you. There could just be generic visible hair, and people with long hairstyles would have to make do with the idea of having their hair tied up/pinned up and put beneath the hat. They could also give the hair a color channel and people could match their haircolor if they wanted to.

Or -as this is a halloween themed hat- they could just add hair and tell us it is a long black halloween wig you wear under the halloween hat :)

I love the hat, but almost none of my chars can wear it as it is now, because they look just horrible in it without any hair.

@"Shikigami.4013" said:They would not need to "match" hairstyles, as almost all of the hair would be hidden beneath the hat anyway. You cannot exactly go wild with styles when your hair is almost completely covered by a hat, can you. There could just be generic visible hair, and people with long hairstyles would have to make do with the idea of having their hair tied up/pinned up and put beneath the hat. They could also give the hair a color channel and people could match their haircolor if they wanted to.

Or -as this is a halloween themed hat- they could just add hair and tell us it is a long black halloween wig you wear under the halloween hat :)

I love the hat, but almost none of my chars can wear it as it is now, because they look just horrible in it without any hair.

always under a hat?i beg to differ...http://www.medievalists.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/How-Well-Do-You-Know-Gandalf.jpg

@sorudo.9054 said:

@"Shikigami.4013" said:They would not need to "match" hairstyles, as almost all of the hair would be hidden beneath the hat anyway. You cannot exactly go wild with styles when your hair is almost completely covered by a hat, can you. There could just be generic visible hair, and people with long hairstyles would have to make do with the idea of having their hair tied up/pinned up and put beneath the hat. They could also give the hair a color channel and people could match their haircolor if they wanted to.

always under a hat?i beg to differ...

i did not even write "always" in my post. I think you misread "almost" :)

• 2 years later...

@"asterix.9614" said:WE STILL NEED HAIR ON THE WITCH AND WIZARD HATS!!!!!!! BLOODY HELL ANET, GIVE IT TO US!Sticking hair onto the hats will be a monumental even in GW2 history, overshadows any new living story updates.

The implication in "even in GW2 history" that below-hat baldness is a universal problem is misplaced. It's not GW2-only (SWTOR among others has it), but it's not universal either.

This is my character in The Secret World. She took off her hat so you could see her hair.Laib8LB.jpgHere she is again, with her hat on. Note that the ponytail has disappeared, but at least she isn't bald, and the hat-hair matches her actual hair colour.JPVIvtG.jpg

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Solanum.6983 said:I think it'd be more likely for new hats of each with hair to be released. They Don't usually update old items.

as in never, they are known to walk away from issues rather than fixing/updating them

With cosmetic items like this it's probably better to make new versions than to change the existing ones because there's bound to be people who prefer it this way and will be angry or upset that it's changed. I'm not sure who would prefer a hat which makes you bald, but if Anet changed it I would not be at all surprised to come to the forum and find a thread full of people complaining that it's ruined their character's entire look, or at least that the substitute hair looks worse than none at all.

(I've been in that camp occasionally. For example when the Shining Aureate weapons were released I chose the longbow for my guardian, then they were updated to have a fuzzy glow effect around them and now it looks totally wrong for her so I'm left with a skin I'll probably never use. Not a big deal in that case, but I'd have chosen a different weapon if I'd known they were going to do that.)

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Solanum.6983 said:I think it'd be more likely for new hats of each with hair to be released. They Don't usually update old items.

as in never, they are known to walk away from issues rather than fixing/updating them

With cosmetic items like this it's probably better to make new versions than to change the existing ones because there's bound to be people who prefer it this way and will be angry or upset that it's changed. I'm not sure who would prefer a hat which makes you bald, but if Anet changed it I would not be at all surprised to come to the forum and find a thread full of people complaining that it's ruined their character's entire look, or at least that the substitute hair looks worse than none at all.

(I've been in that camp occasionally. For example when the Shining Aureate weapons were released I chose the longbow for my guardian, then they were updated to have a fuzzy glow effect around them and now it looks totally wrong for her so I'm left with a skin I'll probably never use. Not a big deal in that case, but I'd have chosen a different weapon if I'd known they were going to do that.)

they can always edit the current version and add that, it's nothing more than a 3D model so they can add them within the new system at any time.also, the advantage here is that they don't have to make anything from scratch, cutting time by about 80%.

@sorudo.9054 said:

they can always edit the current version and add that, it's nothing more than a 3D model so they can add them within the new system at any time.also, the advantage here is that they don't have to make anything from scratch, cutting time by about 80%.

Of course they can copy the existing version and then edit the copy to make a new item. @Danikat.8537 's point is that they would, indeed, do it that way rather than upsetting someone by altering the existing item. For what it's worth, that's SWTOR's explicitly-stated policy, especially for Cartel Market (== Gem Store) items. It's very rare for them to alter existing items if they aren't bugged in some way, as in the recent modifications to the Pragmatic Master's armour set. That was altered because it looked different "in-game" versus during cut-scenes.